La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Discussion thread

Jay

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I think 3 discs would be fine, disc 3 being the OST.

From the comments quoted above, that would probably leave out at least about one full disc of (significant!) alternates.

Yeah, I'd want them to take the A.I. route rather than the Superman one. Rather as many valuable alternates and early things than reconstructing a readily available album.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a definitive list of every cue on the LLL release that was sourced from the film stems? Seems like it's not just parts of the Ultimate War but also End Credits and parts of Leaving Neverland?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Legend, thanks Jay.

Interesting, had no idea the revised ending to Flight to Neverland was taken from the film stems! It's probably the best sounding of the batch, reasonably seamlessly edited into the proper elements. End Credits sounds okay but you can really hear some compression artifacts/distortion in the quieter sections (like around 4:20, where there's just no detail to Williams' orchestrations).

I don't have the OST but it appears the original ending for Flight to Neverland was used on the OST, and presumably Williams revised the ending when the film edit changed?

I can't remember off the top of my head if the original (OST) ending still matches the final film footage or not.  I believe however that the scene was extended after the inital scoring, and so the new ending was recorded to match the longer footage, but I'm not positive as I sit here

I was genuinely shocked that the LLL producers didn't at least attempt to equalise the sound level dips on the film stems. I find those cues unlistenable as a result. Oh please let this get a proper revisit (even if Sony does it themselves).

Fat chance of Sony doing anything right releasing it on their own. Those clueless idiots sat on the Star Wars licence for two decades with nothing to show for it.

12 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

But never Ghostbusters II in 30 years.

Never liked that score very much. It pales in comparison to Elmer's. And I thought the tapes were missing in any case.

Would be nice if Sony played ball and let LLL expand the damn thing properly. The 2012 Hook is the case study when Matessino refers to his expansions, 'potentially being the only time someone will get to expand this score, so you may as well do it properly.'

If only he was in charge 7 years ago, we wouldn't have ended up with ... that release. Admirable it may be, but it pales in comparison to the work Mike has done since.

7 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Pardon a newbie question, but is this available still anywhere?

No, and whatever you do, DO NOT INVEST MOEY IN USED COPIES. Wait for a proper release or buy the OST.

It was still a pretty good release. I used to bash the production a lot more but I've mellowed. I rarely even listen to Hook anymore but the LLL CD had nearly everything. It was only missing some alternate snippets and the end battle stuff from a better source.

That 15 minutes or so is obviously a huge deal, but almost everything else is on there. I was also pleasantly surprised by the film version of the end credits being featured, which seemed like something they'd never include.

For being a non-MM JW expansion, it's better than most in terms of content. Let's not forget that JW supervised and approved it.

Better than the LLL I heard because it includes the missing reel they substituted with the film stems.

The boot has better sounding versions of the Ultimate War reels, plus the unreleased section from The End of Hook. Plus a better sounding version of 16m2 (start of the end credits, which was taken from the film stems for the LLL).

The only thing super significant that we're still missing between the boot and LLL is the damn Cornucopia insert, which really sucks!

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

The only thing super significant that we're still missing between the boot and LLL is the damn Cornucopia insert, which really sucks!

Was that ever reported as lost? Or do we just assume this, because it wasn't on the LLL set?

I think Jay recently stated in this thread that he didn't think Deutsche even noticed it was missing in the OST track, or something like that. As far as I recall, it wasn't reported as lost by anyone. I hope it isn't.

No evidence that it's lost. As @bollemanneke mentioned, I vaguely recall Jay saying that Didier just wasn't aware of that insert which is why it never made the LLL.

I'd be more concerned if it was on the LLL but sourced from the film stems, like all the other missing music.

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

The boot has better sounding versions of the Ultimate War reels, plus the unreleased section from The End of Hook. Plus a better sounding version of 16m2 (start of the end credits, which was taken from the film stems for the LLL).

'Better sounding' is putting it mildly. More like night and day.

There's no reason to assume the studio completely "lost" anything for this score, all that's been said some material wasn't in the same place as everything else, so they didn't have it for the 2012 LLL CD.  And I merely pointed out that that is the difference between a producer like Didier and a producer like Mike; Mike puts the project on hold until everything needed is located - and knows the ins and outs of every studio so well, he probably knows how to help locate it - while Didier was content to just grab what was missing from the film stem and be done with it.

How much of that is on the album producer, though, and how much of that is on the label producers?   I'm sure the LLL guys could have easily said, "Diddy, don't use the film stems - hold the project until the proper elements are found."  Instead, they released it!

I would say this was an unusual circumstance where the producer hired was an employee of Sony and not a total independent like Mike, so LLL's hands were likely tied.

I was really confused when Didier claimed the only reason Mike didn't do Hook was because he was based in LA and the master tapes were in NYC!

Just an utterly absurd reason, all things considered. How many expansions has Mike done now where the master tapes were scattered all over the globe?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There's no reason to assume the studio completely "lost" anything for this score, all that's been said some material wasn't in the same place as everything else, so they didn't have it for the 2012 LLL CD.  And I merely pointed out that that is the difference between a producer like Didier and a producer like Mike; Mike puts the project on hold until everything needed is located - and knows the ins and outs of every studio so well, he probably knows how to help locate it - while Didier was content to just grab what was missing from the film stem and be done with it.

I'd be shocked if some "interesting" new materials weren't discovered along with the deleted scenes for the 4K remaster.

But we already knew the so-called "lost tapes" clearly existed and were in decent condition, thanks to the existence of that bootleg containing all the film stem music in mint condition (which, weirdly enough, was known to LLL at the time of release -- but were supposedly forbidden from using due to legal reasons).