The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Gah, another HA2? My interest seriously depends on what material is added and whether the sound is seriously improved (and the last release sounds fine).

Well, Varese's Home Alone 2 was the complete score and nearly perfect aside from being too loud. La-La Land had the opportunity to reissue, remaster and apparently expand, so great. I hope the additional tracks are without vocals.

Define "too loud"?

I dunno if this is what people are talking about, but the background for the instrumental version of Merry Christmas is so loud you can barely hear the melody.

indy4 - reaching for his wallet...somebody stop me!

The "instrumental" Merry Christmas is, unless I'm mistaken, simply the regular recording without the (apparently separately recorded) choir session. You can barely hear the melody because the melody is supposed to be sung by the choir, so in all the choir passages the instrumentation is much thinner, only doubling the vocals. Between the vocal parts, the piece is fully orchestrated.

With these small additions I think I will pass this if the additional JW music is just about 3 minutes more.

Home Alone 2 will probably last a couple years.

Maybe, maybe not. There are probably people new to the limited edition deal now and missed out on the original Varèse version.

The first Home Alone is still around, after 2 years. It's funny that Michael Kamen's scores sell out within days and Williams' don't.

Karol

The "instrumental" Merry Christmas is, unless I'm mistaken, simply the regular recording without the (apparently separately recorded) choir session. You can barely hear the melody because the melody is supposed to be sung by the choir, so in all the choir passages the instrumentation is much thinner, only doubling the vocals. Between the vocal parts, the piece is fully orchestrated.

You're right.

Great that this score has become again available for people who missed it the first time around. And conveniently so close to Christmas. :)

Sadly I have to pass on all these LLL releases because of chronic shortage of money. I think it will be correct to assume that Die Hard 3 will sell out in a blink.

The first Home Alone is still around, after 2 years. It's funny that Michael Kamen's scores sell out within days and Williams' don't.

As I said 'maybe or maybe not'.

Die Hard has had a more popular fan base to it than Home Alone.

Do not underestimate the power of JW's Home Alone scores, especially an expensive OOP limited edition.

I think Varese's version, like TPM Ultimate Edition, is very bright and comes the closest to a JW entry into the loudness wars. There are numerous points where I have to turn it down while listening, which is rare. It's usually the opposite. I think Race to the Room is an example of the occasional aural assault. I'm really interested to hear the new mix.

Off the top of my head, the last JW title to sell out was SpaceCamp. Home Alone 2 will last years, guaranteed. The Varese Club took years itself to sell out.

For some reason people gobble up the most obscure Goldsmith titles and Kamen's scores, perhaps because the composers have passed away. But of course there have been very popular and long sought after titles among the released scores like the Die Hards etc.

It's also that the Home Alone scores are Christmas themed, which for many only provide listening a month or so a year. I'm a fanatic of Williams and Christmas material and his Home Alone scores are among my favorite so I'm all I've this, even though I've got the Varese release. I'll be getting Star Trek, Home Alone 2 and Die Hard 3. :)

For some reason people gobble up the most obscure Goldsmith titles and Kamen's scores, perhaps because the composers have passed away. But of course there have been very popular and long sought after titles among the released scores like the Die Hards etc.

While I enjoy the scores immensely myself and think they are the very best thriller/action genre can offer, it never stops to amaze me how popular they are. They don't strike me as something that would sell this fast. But then again, I thought Hook will sell out within days so what do I know?

Speaking of Die Hard 3, I'm really curious what it's like. I watched the film last night and the music wasn't exactly in the forefront. There seems to be a lot of material reused yet again. I wonder how much of it is tracked. Kamen went through quite an ordeal on this one and some of the sections were rewritten. Something tells me it will turn out to be a much stronger score than the film would let you to believe and that there is a lot more original previously unheard material. Whether it can hold a candle to the first two remains to be seen, though.

Karol

I actually really liked the sound from what I heard of the Varese release of Home Alone 2. I think the loudness really works for that score. Although I generally don't like scores to be maximized insanely, I have to admit I'm in the camp that believes most John Williams scores are mixed a bit too low for my tastes most of the time. Music needs to be heard, doesn't it? Not fought to be heard.

And regarding The Untouchables... is there anything relevant missing from the album? I don't remember anything, except perhaps different bits and pieces of the full album arrangements spread across the film.

I don't think all of the film recordings are different, but there might be some. Even if everything on the album is in the film, I definitely want the cue for Ness walking on the bridge with the newspaper (just before he meets Malone).

Speaking of Die Hard 3, I'm really curious what it's like. I watched the film last night and the music wasn't exactly in the forefront. There seems to be a lot of material reused yet again. I wonder how much of it is tracked. Kamen went through quite an ordeal on this one and some of the sections were rewritten. Something tells me it will turn out to be a much stronger score than the film would let you to believe and that there is a lot more original previously unheard material. Whether it can hold a candle to the first two remains to be seen, though.

It only made sense for Kamen to reprise a lot of the same material from the first score into the third score. He did it for Die Hard 2 as well.

Re-read the paragraph regarding Die Hard 3. It says it has rejected music that has never before been heard until now. So it's possible some of the material that may have been tracked replaced the unused stuff.

Judging from the track list and times for Die Hard 3 it seems that quite a bit of music may have been dialed our cut out from the film where there was no music but it was meant to be there.

The new music for Home Alone 2 looks pretty cool. I was hoping for more instrumental tracks without vocals, but whatever.

I assumed Merry Christmas alternate was the edit from the Home Alone Christmas album, but it does say previously unreleased.

Yet Home Alone and HA 2 have grossed more than domestically than all 4 Die Hard films. ;) And that's not even adjusting for inflation.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=home%20alone

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=diehard.htm

Now to be fair, Die Hard barely moves ahead on foreign gross. But it's 4 films against 2. HA3 doesn't exist in my world. ;)

Guesses off the top of my head.

Spider-man

Judge Dredd

Batman & Robin

Lethal Weapon

The Last Boy Scout

Last Action Hero

The next two movies a character actually says "crime doesn't pay" in 'em.

Action Jackson

Johnny Dangerously

Wow I was way off. I thought Lethal Weapon was going to be released for sure. Especially with the plot taking place around Christmas. Though Die Hard 3 fit the "crime doesn't pay" description perfectly. I didn't believe it would get released b/c I didn't think LLL would release two Kamen scores for Black Friday. I guess LW only has enough space on one disc instead of two. I didn't expect DH3 to come out that soon especially just after Varese expanded DH2 just a few weeks ago, but they've been working on DH3 for many years anyway.

And I also can't believe I didn't think of Home Alone 2. Probably b/c I already believed LW was going to be released. I didn't think LLL would release two scores to films that take place during Christmas with the theme "Crime Doesn't Pay". Though they've released two Christmas titles for their Black Friday batch before in '10' (Home Alone and Batman Returns) and '11' (Die Hard and Scrooged).

I was surprised by The Untouchables as well though I didnt post any mob/gangster/crime drama movies. I did kept in mind some scores from the genre. It's just the last thing that came to my mind was The Untouchables. Maybe b/c I already own the original album. I pretty much thought it was the majority of the score in the film.

I'm happy about all the releases. Even the ST:TOS box set though I won't be getting it b/c I'm not that familiar with it. Only seen a few episodes many years ago. Besides I think that's more for the hard core fans of the tv show and scores. Looks like I'll be double dipping on The Untouchables. I bought that 4 years ago at Barnes & Noble for less than ten bucks. Kind of wish I waited now b/c I didn't think that score would ever get an expansion with remastered sound. Especially now that they've added the original album on it. Oh well, it's one of my favorite Morricone scores anyway. So it'll be worth it.

Ok, WTF Home Alone 2 AGAIN..? I bought three versions already... Really, another one..? WTF..? Sometimes it sucks to be a JW completist...

Ok, WTF Home Alone 2 AGAIN..? I bought three versions already... Really, another one..? WTF..? Sometimes it sucks to be a JW completist...

How'd you buy three versions? The OST, the Deluxe Edition, and... the first Home Alone?

No one's forcing you to buy this.

Ya I don't get the need to re-buy Home Alone 2 again, if one has the Varèse Deluxe Edition. I think this is mostly for those who missed out on the original Varèse release.

I still don't see how much more of a remastering the score can have. I still think the sound quality is just fine for the Varèse version.

This is in the category where if one doesn't have the Varese release, it's an opportunity to get the score without paying some speculator on eBay an exorbitant sum. LLLR's Krull is the same way, as is Intrada's The Great Escape (which I highly recommend). If your version is fine, pass on it and let someone who doesn't have it get a copy. :)

I listen to them all. Original album arrangements (Plaza Hotel and Duncan's Toy Chest is one of the best album assemblies), Deluxe, Christmas album for edit of Merry Christmas and now this for the new source tracks and mix.

Die-Hard-With-a-Vengeance-HQ.jpg

DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE – EXPANDED ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK -- 2 CD SET

MUSIC BY MICHAEL KAMEN

LLLCD 1233

LIMITED EDITION OF 4000 UNITS

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

Michael Kamen is back with a vengeance at La-La Land Records with this spectacular 2 cd set brought to you courtesy of Sony Music and 20th Century Fox . Literally years in the making, this explosive set features over 2 hours of music written and recorded for the third film in the Die Hard franchise. The soundtrack that was released back in 1995 only contained only a fair amount of score, songs and some classical cues that were not ever featured in the final film. This newly expanded release gives the fans what they have been clamoring for…and then some. Not only are we releasing the score as written for the film, but also several rejected tracks never heard until now. If you are fan of high octane, action packed scoring this is a must have release!

DISC ONE

1 Summer in the City 2:44

Performed by The Lovin’ Spoonful

(John Sebastian/Mark Sebastian/Steve Boone)

2 Main Title*:19

3 Goodbye Bonwits 6:28

4 John and Zeus 3:20

5 Taxi* 1:51

6 Neat Bomb* 2:11

7 Papaya King 5:19

8 72nd Street Phone* 3:18

9 Taxi Chase* 5:08

10 The Subway (Part 1)* 4:24

11 The Subway (Part 2)* 2:15

12 Take A-nother Train 2:54

13 Feds* 4:42

14 Rings a Bell* 8:28

15 Infiltration* 5:33

16 Bank Invasion* 4:15

17 Back to Wall Street* 2:55

18 Fake Cops* 1:42

19 The Federal Reserve 2:18

20 Bank Elevator** 2:54

21 Gold Room Aftermath 1:36

22 Panic* 2:04

Total Disc Time: 76:37

DISC TWO

1 Aqueduct 2:12

2 Santa Claus* 2:36

3 Yankee Stadium / School and Tunnel* 3:42

4 Refrigerator Bomb* :40

5 Surfing in the Aqueduct 2:29

6 Ticking Refrigerator* :50

7 Mercedes Chase / School Assembly* 3:14

8 Aftermath / Waiting and Falling* 2:00

9 Hooking the Boat* 5:45

10 Bunny and Fire Drill* 2:39

11 Running in the Halls* 1:42

12 Bomb Goes Into Hold* 5:24

13 John Makes It Mad* 1:39

14 Holly / Celebration* 3:17

15 Oh, Canada!* 3:23

16 Johnny Comes Marching Home* 1:39

Total Time: 43:07

Total Score Time: 1:59:44

Bonus Tracks:

17 Regret* 1:57

18 Hooking the Boat (alternate)* 4:23

19 On the Freighter / John Makes It Mad* 3:30

20 Wall Street Station* 1:29

21 The Subway (Part 1) (alt. segment)* 1:31

22 The Subway (Part 2) (alt. segment)* :47

23 Ode to Johnny* 3:12

24 No Rush* 1:20

25 Escape* 2:05

26 The Foundry 3:08

27 Waltz of the Bankers (album track) 4:15

28 Gold Vault (album track) 3:50

29 Somebody Had Fun (wild snare)* 1:16

30 Johnny Comes Marching Home (wild vamps)* 1:29

Total Bonus: 34:06

Total Disc Time: 77:23

Total Two-Disc Time: 2:34:00

* Previously unreleased

** Contains previously unreleased music

1003_10151354310898755_676362621_n.jpg

DISC 1

ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SCORE

1. The Strength of the Righteous 2:31

2. Ness and His Family–Part I 1:40

3. Warehouse*/False Alarm 1:51

4. Ness Meets Malone 1:21

5. Al Capone–Part II (vers. 2) 1:39

6. A Mother’s Plea 0:55

7. Ness Meets Wallace*/Ness Meets Stone* 0:33

8. Victorious 2:10

9. Murderous/Goodnights 1:40

10. Nitti Harasses Ness 1:01

11. Send Family Away 1:00

12. Waiting for What?/Montana Intro 0:48

13. Waiting at the Border 3:47

14. The Untouchables 3:05

15. Surprise Attack/Dead Man’s Bluff 1:15

16. Ness and His Family–Part II 1:17

17. In the Elevator 1:10

18. Four Friends 2:51

19. Payne and Bowtie/Ness Study*/Al Capone–Part I 0:52

20. The Man with the Matches/Nitti Shoots Malone* 3:04

21. Malone’s Death 2:17

22. Machine Gun Lullaby/Kill Bowtie 7:41

23. Courthouse Chase 1:38

24. On the Rooftops/Nitti’s Fall 2:55

25. He’s in the Car/Here Endeth the Lesson 0:32

26. Death Theme 2:42

27. The Untouchables (End Title) 3:10

TOTAL DISC TIME: 55:25

DISC 2

ORIGINAL A&M ALBUM

1. The Untouchables (End Title) 3:11

2. Al Capone 2:56

3. Waiting at the Border 3:46

4. Death Theme 2:42

5. On the Rooftops 2:34

6. Victorious 2:09

7. The Man With the Matches 2:47

8. The Strength of the Righteous (Main Title) 2:28

9. Ness and His Family 2:45

10. False Alarm 1:12

11. The Untouchables 3:04

12. Four Friends 2:50

13. Machine Gun Lullaby 7:08

BONUS TRACKS

14. Mood Indigo 3:41

(D. Ellingon, I. Mills, B. Bigard)

15. Al Capone–Part II (vers. 1) 1:39

16. Machine Gun Lullaby–Part 1 (no celeste) 4:58

17. On the Rooftops (no saxophone) 2:34

18. Here Endeth the Lesson (alternate) 0:16

19. Love Theme From The Untouchables 4:07

performed by Randy Edelman

TOTAL DISC TIME: 56:47

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 112:12

* not used in film

Just to let you know Batman Mask of the Phantasm is just about sold out. We have 50 copies remaining

We have 30 copies left of Teen Titans Trouble in Tokyo as well

Grab 'em before they are gone!

MV

GOING OUT OF PRINT 12/31/12!

Get the following for only $2.98 each before they are gone: HAUNTED HONEYMOON, SPEECHLESS, DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, BEACH BLANKET BINGO and HELL’S BELLES. And get the following for only $4.98 each: HAUNTED SUMMER and THEATER OF BLOOD. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

All of us here in La-La Land wish you a wonderful, safe holidays and a happy and healthy New Year! Thanks for supporting us – we couldn’t have made ten years without you! Here’s to ten more, starting more exciting releases in 2013!

From the official LLL Email

Order #59195 for me, I had a ton of trouble getting it to recognize me and then I had to re-enter my CC number anyone for some reason, frustrating

Anyway, I only ordered Die Hard 3, so that it will ship today since HA2 is delayed. I'll order HA2 at a later time