Elfman / Burton Box Set Coming.

Ollie

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not that big...mine was just large enough to fit the box and the styrofoam. I think it was the same box shipped from WB, because it said Elfman/Burton Boxset on it.

Interesting. My box was in the WB packaging, but then Amazon put that shipping box into their own shipping box that could have easily held 2 Elfman boxes. They padded the extra space out with a ton of those air pouches.

Loving this set so far! Big Fish, Nightmare, and Pee Wee are great to listen to. I've also heard Beetlejuice and Batman. Even the expanded set can't make me love these, but I do love specific parts of each and it's nice to have the new stuff.

Anybody know the chronological order for Corpse Bride?

It's on the Chronological Scores site I believe. (Specific link is in the Chronological score thread here.)

I just listened to Sleepy Hollow, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed that that short cue "To Notary Hardenbrook's" isn't included. That was the main unreleased cue in my opinion. But perhaps because it's short it's not included, just like the "Newspapers" cue in Mars Attacks! - essential, but I guess album producers just don't like short cues.

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably in my head, but did anyone else notice any slight volume fluctuations on the orchestra-only pieces? A bit as if they would have taken it from the film tracks (it reminded me of a DVD-isolated score)?

yea, the sound quality is not as good in them as the final tracks. I'm thinking about making a custom edit that mostly uses the main tracks, only switching to the orchestra-only tracks during the parts where people sing

Was going to inquire about the sound quality of the NBC Orch.-only tracks, as they were contained on the demo disc, but that question was answered...thanks!

The Chronological Score site has a lot of great info, once again, my thanks. I was wondering though, under the Corpse Bride listing, it has track#s 21-24 as part of the Elfman box only, but these were part of the regular release as well.

I'm most likely pointing out the obvious there, but thought you'd like to know:)

Lastly, are there any plans whatsoever to release these seperately at all? Forgive me if it's a common question, I'm just curious, as there are only parts of some of the scores I'd be interested in.

Thanks,

~Tom

Richard Kraft has officially said there are no plans to re-release separate editions down the line.

But I personally think there's a possibility they will be... But there's no way we'll know until it just happens probably.

Thnks for the reply, Jason. Their loss, I suppose, as they would stand to make a lot more money by releasing these as stand-alone titles later in the year.

I think it doesn't work that way. The only way they could release a product like this is to make a very limited number of units. Imagine all the licensing hell.

Karol

Very interesting interviews. Elfman is another outspoken composer. It was nice to get to know his background a bit more.

When is this thread going to be renamed? The Box Set isn't coming. It came, it saw, it conquered, it's available and people love it.

It's still not worth that price.

Ok, everyone except him. :wave:

It's a problem with Clemmenson - he bases reviews on more than just the quality of the music. If it arrived with a small crack in the jewel case, it loses a star, despite that having jack all to do with the music.

I wouldn't say his creative criticisms are unfounded - I have some editing gripes with the tracks I downloaded (enough to make me hope that it's among LLL's Elfman's output).

Sadly, as much as I like the extra music and am very thankful for them to put that out there as a fan; if I were a critic/reviewer, I would go for a one-star rating, too. In fact, I would feel obliged to, because one can't let this be a precedent for future soundtrack box-sets.

Without that ridiculous, extremely useless zoetrope box, it would have cost a lot less. And in this economic climate, it's a very irresponsible project. There are many ways to make a nice deluxe soundtrack box set; this is not one of them.

I thought this was worth quoting, by the way:

[Editor's Note: Two weeks after reviewing this beast of a box set, I was manually assembling the track listings for all its miscellaneous albums (the woeful official site for the set isn't always accurate and includes no track times) and discovered an oddity on CD 16. I had fallen out of a willow tree earlier in the day while trying to prune the unwieldy monster, and I figured upon encountering a strange issue with the orchestra-only version of "Finale/Reprise" from The Nightmare Before Christmas that I was simply "hearing things" in my head because I was groggy from the day's work. Upon closer inspection, however, as well as confirmation from my wife after my third attempt to point her to this oddity, some facts were revealed. In this particular track, the last forty seconds could be classified as one of two things: a disastrous attempt to edit a cue or a really cool accident. What originally caught my attention was the feeling that I was still hearing Catherine O'Hara's voice in the background of the "Finale" with Sally's theme in that supposedly orchestra-only version. Naturally, I ignored it at first. After all, I've heard that soundtrack enough times through the years for my brain to simply fill in the voices subconsciously. But then I noticed that the orchestral recording concluding that track is the superior film version, a more whimsical alternate with a hint of "What's This?" in its celesta contribution. What you hear closing out "Finale" on all the vocal versions on CD going back 1993 contains a solitary descending brass line instead. After transferring the track into some editing software, I confirmed that I wasn't simply "hearing things" in regards to O'Hara's voice, either. While the accordion is front and center as it's supposed to be, her lyrics "...and sit together, now and forever" and "we're simply meant to be" are relatively evident at high volumes (especially the "s" tones). Elfman's voice is completely absent. Another clue to this strange artifact occurs right before her lines begin; at precisely 1:57 into the track, there's a hiccup in volume that reveals a bad splice where someone apparently attempted to change recording sources. It's possible that an editor chose to include the film version of the orchestra's performance for the last 20 seconds of the score, simply cutting into a different take at that 1:57 mark but failing for some reason to completely dial O'Hara's vocals out of the mix. Some listeners probably won't notice any of these issues, maybe hearing a woman humming in the background at most. But the film version of that cue has been long awaited on CD, and, aside from the hiccup at 1:57, the ghostly nature of the voice in the background is strangely appropriate. On the other hand, it's yet another example of a disappointing set with an abundance of sloppy and curious choices.]

• 5 months later...

LOL. Still $200 too high.

It's more than likely too that La-La Land will be issuing complete scores for everything in that box. Well so far they have issued complete (or expanded) for a good portion of those scores. We know that "Planet Of The Apes" is coming and I wouldn't be surprised if they released a complete version of "Sleepy Hollow".

It is possible that LLL will release a lot of what's in there. But one thing's for sure, none of the labels will get their hands on The Nightmare Before Christmas, and that was the reason why I plunged for the set. There's a wealth of music there for that film, and it's all marvelous.

We know Planet of The Apes is coming?

I think the assumption is based on one of those "maybeee..." posts MV occasionally makes when someone asks about a title. Just like he hinted at Die Hard.

He remarked sometime in the last few weeks that LLL is the 'Elfman' label so I too am very hopeful that his late 90s/early 00s will see full 2-CD releases.

Having finally seen Edward Scissorhands, I'd consider a full version, and they won't be able to ship a 2-CD Sleepy Hollow fast enough.