The J.R.R Tolkien Discussion Thread

Oh yes my copies of vol 1 and 2 of History of the Hobbit match also the black paperback covers of the other series.

Just finished The Story of Kullervo. Nothing mind-blowing since the work is only about 40 pages long but as the editor Flieger says it is indeed the missing gap between Kullervo of Kalevala and Tolkien's legendarium (Túrin especially of course) as far as the story structuring and character are concerned. Tolkien's essay on Kalevala (in two forms) is also included, a paper which he read at two different occasions and he had a surprising knowledge of it for a young man of 20 or 21. Funnily enough he says he tried to learn Finnish while reading Kalevala but "was repulsed" by the language i.e. defeated by its complexity. :P

The Annotated Hobbit is so good.

I just bought it. A gorgeous tome. I need to get perusing on that. But first Monsters & Critics.

John D. Rateliff's 2 vol. History is also a terrific work, more in line with Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle-earth volumes.

I have the 1 volume edition. I believe it has a few extra things?

I can't remember exactly. I seem to recall a single volume which was abridged but there was possibly a new single volume revised edition with additional material.

EDIT: yes there are both a single volume revised edition with updated material and an abridged A Brief History of the Hobbit.

I need to focus on filling gaps rather than buying multiple editions of the same book!

:lol:

I have only made two what I call "prestige exhibition copy" acquisitions that I had to have because they are so nice and I am a bibliophile, the Alan Lee illustrated The Hobbit and LotR (I have the old paperbacks of both for my everyday reading) and the new revised single volume edition of the Finnish translation of LotR which also corrected some serious printing errors of the old Finnish edition I owned. Oh and I could say you can add The Annotated Hobbit to the list. It is not absolutely essential if you think of the novel itself text-wise but as with Rateliff it offers further illumination to the whole writing process, influences etc. of the work. Plus it looks gorgeous! I noticed that the Finnish artist Tove Jansson's art (the inventor of the widely popular Moomin characters) was exhibited among the different artists who have illustrated the Hobbit in different countries in the annotated Hobbit. I don't think she quite captured Tolkien's spirit with her work. Far too quirky and strange. Her image of Gollum is perhaps the most hair raisingly misguided attempt to capture his likeness I know.

jansson-hobbit-3.jpg

I have the 1 volume edition. I believe it has a few extra things?

I can't remember exactly. I seem to recall a single volume which was abridged but there was possibly a new single volume revised edition with additional material.

EDIT: yes there are both a single volume revised edition with updated material and an abridged A Brief History of the Hobbit.

I need to focus on filling gaps rather than buying multiple editions of the same book!

:lol:

I have only made two what I call "prestige exhibition copy" acquisitions that I had to have because they are so nice and I am a bibliophile, the Alan Lee illustrated The Hobbit and LotR (I have the old paperbacks of both for my everyday reading) and the new revised single volume edition of the Finnish translation of LotR which also corrected some serious printing errors of the old Finnish edition I owned. Oh and I could say you can add The Annotated Hobbit to the list. It is not absolutely essential if you think of the novel itself text-wise but as with Rateliff it offers further illumination to the whole writing process, influences etc. of the work. Plus it looks gorgeous! I noticed that the Finnish artist Tove Jansson's art (the inventor of the widely popular Moomin characters) was exhibited among the different artists who have illustrated the Hobbit in different countries in the annotated Hobbit. I don't think she quite captured Tolkien's spirit with her work. Far too quirky and strange. Her image of Gollum is perhaps the most hair raisingly misguided attempt to capture his likeness I know.

jansson-hobbit-3.jpg

Funny you mention that, the official Tolkien Calander for 2016 features Jansson's art exclusively!

Yes and it is as awful as the Cor Blok calendar a couple of years back. I don't dig their interpretations of Middle-earth at all.

She's no Petri Hiltunen, that's for sure!

Right!

Chip off the old Blok?

Oh and speaking further of The Story of Kullervo, the essay or presentation Tolkien made on the Kalevala "The Land of Heroes" (an odd translation of the name) shows quite an acute mind for literary and poetic analysis and you can clearly tell that Tolkien's education had left no uncertain mark on the way he presents and organizes his thoughts. One would expect such well thought out and composed material from a far older man and shows clearly the early roots of his scholarly style.

You can also see the loftiness of style with which he handles the story of Kullervo itself and he often resorts to using archaisms and obsolete uses for certain English words for effect (perhaps also for pure pleasure) and he even employs the Kalevala meter in his English poetry that is interspersed throughout the narrative, a feature he himself admitted was partly result of reading the works of William Morris (e.g. his novel The House of Wolfings). Tolkien thought the Finnish Kalevala poetry (compiled from a large geographical area and edited by a Finnish academic Elias Lönnrot) as something primordial and wild and uncouth compared to the more polished and refined epics of the Classical world or of Northern or Central Europe but said much of its delight lay therein and it was as we know a great inspiration and source of joy to him, a man who thought learning a new language was akin to tasting a new wonderful wine.

Who the hell did those? Bring back Alan Lee!

Don't forget the other two parts of the holy trinity of Tolkien illustrators, John Howe and Ted Nasmith!

Or perhaps they are too obvious and do not allow your imagination to roam with their too accurate portrayals of the scenes and characters from Tolkien's works.

04_HOW_02.jpg

TN-The_Mumak_of_Harad.jpg

Who the hell did those? Bring back Alan Lee!

Don't forget the other two parts of the holy trinity of Tolkien illustrators, John Howe and Ted Nasmith!

04_HOW_02.jpg

TN-The_Mumak_of_Harad.jpg

Ah, those are much better!

Has there ever been art that captures the epic grandeur, the light and the dark, of Tolkien's world more perfectly than Cor Blimey's paintings?!

Of course not!

The Ents as walking cucumbers! How cool is that?

And since his style doesn't dictate, being so vaguely suggestive, you can imagine and interpret these things as you like. Challenges the imagination to see Treebeard with Merry and Pippin there when you see a shaggy cucumber holding two blobs with eyes.

But that is the genius of Cor Blimey!

Blok apparently visited Tolkien in the 60s and the artist gifted him with two of his paintings and Tolkien bought a third one. He must have wanted the Last March of the Cucumber Men because as we know he loved his vegetables.

"Ah yes Edith, the horrible painter went already. Be a dear and put these in the deepest cupboard you can find. He wanted to give me two of his paintings and I bought one off him to humour him. But he is sorely mistaken if he thinks I will put one of these squiggles on my wall."

Inky, you naughty boy!

Hey I just interpret Cor Blok's art! Perhaps in a strange Freudian way but that is how I would describe his Ent scene!

Cor Blok, the famed Dutch Tolkien artist of whom we have been talking about! Pay attention Stefan!

That is not what Cock Blok was trying to represent when he drew the Ents as giant cucumbers!

Hey it is all in the eye of the beholder. You can't tie art to one explanation or interpretation! Slightly lewd cucumbers was my view on the subject!

And look at this wonderful depiction of the Witck-king!

Cor-Blok-36.jpg

And the energy of the Ford of Bruinen scene:

Cor-Blok-42.jpg

The visceral depiction of the fellowship of the Ring!

Cor-Blok-44.jpg

And I think the white backgrounds depict the barren shadow world where the wraiths live, just giving it a counter commentary by making it blindingly white. And then there are the of course eight cone shaped desperados with wide brimmed hats. I am sure one of the wraiths just got lost in the blizzard.

Got my hardcover of the Sil today. Haven't taken it out of the shrink wrap yet. Saving that for later tonight when I can have a good look through it.

Also picked up the two volume box set of the Hobbit. The book splits where the original two film split was going to be. It's such a weird little thing. Git it as it's probably going to be a one off.

Also picked up a Hobbit moleskine notebook.

Also picked up the two volume box set of the Hobbit. The book splits where the original two film split was going to be. It's such a weird little thing. Git it as it's probably going to be a one off.

So Book 1 ends with "Barrels Out Of Bond" and Book 2 begins with "A Warm Welcome"?

So Book 1 ends with "Barrels Out Of Bond" and Book 2 begins with "A Warm Welcome"?

Yeah, that's exactly it.

Warner Bros have their name in the indicia inside and it says they supplied the cover art.

Also picked up the two volume box set of the Hobbit. The book splits where the original two film split was going to be.

nuclear_facepalm_poster_by_nianden.jpg

I don't know whether you're facepalming me, the publisher, or PJ.....

I know when I've had enough. I can quit any time, I swear!

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll quit by winter's time! Since SW will probably be taking its place...

Ah Star Wars, the other great hole in my wallet :)

You should try to purchase other Tolkien's books instead of the same book all over again. Your collection would be complete a lot sooner that way. ;)

No!

Stop buying books! The world is not in your books, it's out there!

Not Tolkien's world.

You should try to purchase other Tolkien's books instead of the same book all over again. Your collection would be complete a lot sooner that way. ;)

I try to do both. History of Middle-earth 4 this weekend I think.

In terms of Tolkien-related works (concerning Middle-earth), I still have to pick up The Art of LOTR and The Art of The Hobbit as well as The Annotated Hobbit. I'd like the Deluxe Slipcased Editions of The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales at some point too, as I have the equivalent versions of LOTR, The Hobbit and The Children of Hurin. I see they've also released a Tales from the Perilous Realm volume in that series. It's an expensive business!

On top of these, my collection consists of a paperback LOTR set in a slipbox, an illustrated hardback single volume, separate illustrated hardback volumes in a slipbox, an illustrated hardback Hobbit, an illustrated hardback Silmarillion, a leatherbound hardback Silmarillion, the three hardback CHoME volumes, the hardback illustrated Complete Guide to Middle-earth, Sibley's Maps of Middle-earth set, the Atlas of Tolkien's Middle-earth, a number of art books, Scull and Hammond's Tolkien Companion and Guide two-volume set, their LOTR: Reader's Companion, and Rateliff's History of the Hobbit, which is fantastic as people have said. Also an interesting pop-up Hobbit. Christ knows why I have so many versions of things, it's crazy.

Then there are a number of film-related books. For LOTR I have all the Visual Companions, all the Art books, Weapons and Warfare, the Official Movie Guide, all the photo guide/creatures/Gollum books, and of course Doug's book. For The Hobbit I've only picked up the Chronicles books, though I'm still missing the second DoS volume with Tauriel on the cover. Another one I need to pick up, along with the forthcoming and final volume of course.

Medals for all! It's taken a good few years to build up and still fairly meagre compared to most but I'm quite proud of it.

In terms of Tolkien-related works (concerning Middle-earth), I still have to pick up The Art of LOTR and The Art of The Hobbit as well as The Annotated Hobbit. I'd like the Deluxe Slipcased Editions of The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales at some point too, as I have the equivalent versions of LOTR, The Hobbit and The Children of Hurin. I see they've also released a Tales from the Perilous Realm volume in that series. It's an expensive business!

On top of these, my collection consists of a paperback LOTR set in a slipbox, an illustrated hardback single volume, separate illustrated hardback volumes in a slipbox, an illustrated hardback Hobbit, an illustrated hardback Silmarillion, a leatherbound hardback Silmarillion, the three hardback CHoME volumes, the hardback illustrated Complete Guide to Middle-earth, Sibley's Maps of Middle-earth set, the Atlas of Tolkien's Middle-earth, a number of art books, Scull and Hammond's Tolkien Companion and Guide two-volume set, their LOTR: Reader's Companion, and Rateliff's History of the Hobbit, which is fantastic as people have said. Also an interesting pop-up Hobbit. Christ knows why I have so many versions of things, it's crazy.

Then there are a number of film-related books. For LOTR I have all the Visual Companions, all the Art books, Weapons and Warfare, the Official Movie Guide, all the photo guide/creatures/Gollum books, and of course Doug's book. For The Hobbit I've only picked up the Chronicles books, though I'm still missing the second DoS volume with Tauriel on the cover. Another one I need to pick up, along with the forthcoming and final volume of course.

Medals for all! It's taken a good few years to build up and still fairly meagre compared to most but I'm quite proud of it.

You've bit some of the nice deluxe hardcover stuff. Would love some of that!

It's ok Inky, I'll buy some stuff I don't have first!