The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But has there been any word of a soundtrack release for series 9 yet? I haven't been able to find anything.

I was indeed wondering the same thing. Originally there was a rumoured date of somewhere in May.

But apparently the dates have been a bit all over the place in the past.

Any chance they're waiting until they can include this year's Christmas Special?

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Is it true Matt Smith will be back?

Is there such a rumour? I certainly wouldn't mind a cameo; would be fun for sure.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Is it true Matt Smith will be back?

I bloody hope not!

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But has there been any word of a soundtrack release for series 9 yet? I haven't been able to find anything.

SERIES 35!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

On the subject of no Doctor Who this year:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Class2016

Has anyone heard of that before?

Found some details:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/feature/a791888/doctor-who-spin-off-class-cast-air-date-spoilers-and-everything-you-need-to-know/

Not "better than nothing" then?

I did also watch The Sarah Jane Adventures, which was OK I suppose.

Nothing brilliant, but did feature a couple of episodes with The Doctor in it.

Am really not that interested in Class ... would far rather have had a new series of Who this year. 

When it comes to the spin-offs, I only watched the Sarah Jane Adventures episodes that actually featured the Doctor ... so just a couple, then. Torchwood I watched through a mixed bag of a first series, a better second, an excellent third, and until about halfway through the fourth (because it all went to shit during Miracle Day, IMO).   

20 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

and until about halfway through the fourth (because it all went to shit during Miracle Day, IMO).   

I quit on Miracle Day halfway through as well!  To this day I have no idea how that shitty, shitty, shitty story ended.

Well it really doesn't jive well with the Christmas star episode with the spider in Earth's core, that's for sure. 

Miracle Day was about three episodes too long.

7 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Not "better than nothing" then?

I did also watch The Sarah Jane Adventures, which was OK I suppose.

Nothing brilliant, but did feature a couple of episodes with The Doctor in it.

Again...it's BBC3. BBC3. BBC3. This is an online yoof channel. It is not entertainment for adults. Fuck, I'd rather watch "Baby Jake".

"SJA" was cute in an awkward, teenagey way, and seeing Jo Jones was great, but it was DW lite.

Miracle Day undoubtedly lost something by being extensively set in the States. In an episode where Gwen discovers that lemonade isn't fizzy in the US, she comments 'Fizzy in the UK, flat in America' which summed things up perfectly for me.   

The change of location, the fact that the American Torchwood characters werent as well developed or interesting as Owen, Tosh, Ianto etc and a story that didnt support 10 episodes sadly meant Miracle Day didnt life up to the previous seasons.

There's still good stuff there though. Barrowman is good as Captain Jack, Eve Myles is outstanding as Gwen and there are a few interesting bad guys (Bill Pullman is an excellent loathsome paedo and Marina Benedict and Lauren Ambrose are a feast for the eye.)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any clue why David Tennant left then? I thought he was loving the role just fine as well.

Also worth of note in that article is that Moffat says he isn't planning to "go out with a bang".

No incredible huge finale, then?

Would there be any chance of seeing Jack Harkness back at all?

I think that would be the smallest and most sensible cameo I could think of.

And I myself would not mind, at least.

I'm sure he was still loving the role but was probably worried about being typecast. They actually did the season 5 specials to allow him to do some theatre work. RTD leaving the show was probably a factor too though.

Doctor Who was a much much bigger show in that time though, certainly in the UK. And Tennant was a young actor who was pretty unknown before he became The Doctor. Capaldi is far older and in a very different stage of his career.

Apart from Tom Baker, every Doctor in the 'classic era' did 3-4 years then moved on. And apart from Eccleston, the 'NuWho' Doctors have done the same. 

John Barrowman is apparently in talks to bring Torchwood back to TV. 

Sure, I could go for more TORCHWOOD, but they're taking too long between seasons. When I saw MIRACLE DAY, it had been -- what? -- YEARS since the last season. So all the references to previous story elements flew right past me. They will have the same problem now, if they choose to do another season. Unless they do s a 'sum-up' episode first, of course.

The only reason Miracle Day took so long was because it was a co production between the BBC and Starz. The previous series were closer together.

Miracle Day wasn't a success, so Torchwood seemed over, maybe it still is?

On 8/3/2016 at 4:15 AM, Jay said:

I'm really liking Capaldi's Doctor, and I was afraid that someone of his stature might want to move on to other things after a few series. So it's really good to hear we've got him in the role for at least the next two series.

Capaldi has quickly become a contender for the position of my favourite Doctor, and he's clearly having fun. He was good in his first series, but brilliant in his second. I hope he'll stick around for a while longer.

I agree. I've seen every single available DR. WHO episode since the beginning in 1963 (even many of those that are unavailable, I've seen with still photos and sound), and Capaldi is among my top favourites. Wish he continues for at least one or two more seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Random aside: I am going to throw a party the next time we get a Doctor Who series without a Mark Gatiss penned episode.

Sure, he's written a few good ones, but his misses to hits ratio is miserable.

"The Unquiet Dead" Hit
"The Idiot's Lantern" Miss
"Victory of the Daleks" Miss
"Night Terrors" Miss
"Cold War" Hit
"The Crimson Horror" Hit
"Robot of Sherwood" Hit (barely)
"Sleep No More" Miss

That's 4 hits to 4 complete misses, it's a crap shoot!  Also "Night Terrors" and "Sleep No More" are both not just misses, but two of the very worst, most fucking miserably bad episodes in the history of nu-Who.

Whaaaaaaaaaa

jaw-drop.jpg?format=original

I couldn't disagree more.  Hopefully we can all agree that "Cold War" is easily his best.  The only one of his that I'd consider an essential Doctor Who episode.

Also, I think I like "Crimson Horror" more than a lot of people.  A really fun one IMO.

"The Crimson Horror" is the most outrageously entertaining of possibly the entire Smith run. A riot, from start to finish. "Cold War", is good, and it has the almighty David Warner, but it doesn't have the heart, wit, or imagination of

"The Ice Warriors".

No: "Night Terrors" is good because it shows something that is not often shown on TV- a father's love for his son. Every time I watch it, it gets me right here (points to heart). We need more DW like it.

I agree with that hypothetically, but I don't think the episode landed.  Too many perplexing narrative decisions with offputting performances.

I'd say the two episodes I can think of off the top of my head that try to explore father-son relationships both fall flat: "Night Terrors" and "Curse of the Black Spot."

A broken clock....

;)

"The Unquiet Dead" Hit
"The Idiot's Lantern" Miss
"Victory of the Daleks" Miss
"Night Terrors" Hit
"Cold War" Hit
"The Crimson Horror" Hit
"Robot of Sherwood" Hit 
"Sleep No More" Miss

While I agree Gattis is far from consistent, i would rate both The Unquiet Dead and Night Terrors as being first rate Doctor Who. 

Night Terrors is especially worthwhile because it deals with some of the same themes as Fear Her did, but without being as glib and repugnant as that episode (still the worst one by far)