The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

I never watched the spot, but someone said there was a spoiler that's supposed to be from a scene near the end of the film.

That's most likely the case. Even the trailers for The Dark Knight (and Batman Begins as well) had the final scene in them, but the context was "it could be anywhere in the film." We can assume all we want, but we won't know what the final scene will be for sure until midnight July 19th.

A sex life is what this Batman has been seriously missing. Even if the sex wasn't even happening in the other Batfilms, the Bat at least had the lust. He would have eventually banged Selina if the events of Batman Returns' finale hadn't occurred. Hell, he probably did since she was still around. Same with Vicki in the '89 flick, Chase in Forever, all those broads in Batman & Robin, the '66 series and what's-her-name in the Animated Series universe.

While he's not battling criminals and showing people his collection of Japanese wicker people, he's all about the *****. He's human after all, as that Joker goon says in the alleyway. Christian Bale's Batman certainly seems to be a virgin. He's the most awkward weirdo with this chick. He even stalks her on her date with Harvey in his restaurant and acts like it's some coincidence. It's pathetic. Meanwhile, all the other Batmen are banging Kim Basinger, Nicole Kidman with blonde hair and that Elle chick.

I prefer Batman being unlike Bond.

This Batman isn't necesarily a virgin just because we haven't seen anything. He's been around the world, he may have banged someone. It's unimportant.

I am not even joking guys, when the entire hoopla about the gay DC character was going on, me and my friends said it has to be Batman but of course DC wouldn't have the balls to out one of their legendary three.

But Nolan's Batman is the poster boy for closet cases. Think about it, consider him gay and it puts his entire personality into context and suddenly everything makes sense. His repression and refusal to acknowledge what he is drives his psychopathic personality. Alfred is in on it and nurtures him through it. And Rachel was nothing more than a beard. Even when Bale's Bruce is around woman, he does not have the easy looseness that a guy who fucks left right and center would have. Its very forced and posed to put up a facade and an image and create a myth.

Oh he's a closet case all right. And frankly the Nolan Batman films play better if you keep this in the back of your mind.

Go to sleep crazy lady.

He's simply not a douche. Loved Katie Gyllenhaal and doesn't starting banging chicks after she dies. I mean, why else would he ask her to leave Harvey Dent/jump out of a skyscraper to rescue her? To keep up the charade that he's hetero?

I predict the scenes with Batman and Catwoman will rely mainly in some sort of funny interplay bewteen them.

It comes to my mind some scenes between Batman and Catwoman in Batman Returns, I think it's the same thing that you say.

BTW, I like your new avatar, Chaac.

I think they'll distrust each other at first and later they'll join forces.

(I was reading about Germanic cultures tonight and I thought about Rohan xDD)

Yes, they could be allies, the third trailer shows some of that.

I prefer Batman being unlike Bond.

I agree. Not only did Nolan forget how to dream (Inception), he now is forgetting how Batman is based on mystery, darkness and myth. The element of fear and surprise: now you see him, now you don't. The way he deals with Bane, it's like he's an ordinary street cop. The way things are going, Bond is becoming a more enigmatic character than Batman.

Alex

Strange. Batman I grew up with (late 80's early 90's) was very much like this. Less theatrical and more human. But than again Nolan's films were made with my generation in mind.

Karol

Even when Bale's Bruce is around woman, he does not have the easy looseness that a guy who fucks left right and center would have.

In what neanderthalic view does that constitute being gay? We live in the age of metrosexuality where a lot of younger men are the antithesis of a Robert-Mitchum-like REAL MAN - which are a dying life form, anyway. A carousing Batman is the last thing this franchise needs.

As do the people who use the term "dinosaur" to negatively describe an old, outdated, and unsuccessful item or philosophy. Dinosaurs ruled the world for 135 million years. Unsuccessful my eye.

As do the people who use the term "dinosaur" to negatively describe an old, outdated, and unsuccessful item or philosophy. Dinosaurs ruled the world for 135 million years. Unsuccessful my eye.

The theropod body plan is one of the biggest epic wins in the history of vertebrates. Inmensely adaptable. Amazing group.

137433000120111061204.jpeg

That's a good observation. In 135 million years, the bodies had hit a brick wall: the vertical stance and dexterous hands were there, but advancement was limited by the tiny brain. So nature wiped the slate clean and gave the rat a shot, and 65 million years later, that rat developed the same body pattern that the theropods had perfected, but with one clear advantage: bigass brains The planet of the apes had arrived.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone's found a Troodon next to fossilized charcoal, and it's stored in a secret government lab...

The people who use "neanderthalic" and similar terms for views they consider outdated or wrong get on my nerves. Poor neanderthals.

is it your large frontal bone?

137433000120111061204.jpeg

That's a good observation. In 135 million years, the bodies had hit a brick wall: the vertical stance and dexterous hands were there, but advancement was limited by the tiny brain. So nature wiped the slate clean and gave the rat a shot, and 65 million years later, that rat developed the same body pattern that the theropods had perfected, but with one clear advantage: bigass brains The planet of the apes had arrived.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone's found a Troodon next to fossilized charcoal, and it's stored in a secret government lab...

But look at the Troodon. It's better adapted to bipedalism. It doesn't have back aches.

The thing is theropods, with their amazing phsysical qualities, adapted to many environments, and even started to compete with pterosaurs, and after the Mesozoic the surviving ones kept evolving and becoming apex predators in the land and in the air, and adapted to all kinds of diets, and some even got back to the sea. Even today, there are more species of birds that there are of mammals.

Mammals are doing bad, in my opinion.They die out like flies. However I love cetaceans and bats and others.

Strange. Batman I grew up with (late 80's early 90's) was very much like this. Less theatrical and more human. But than again Nolan's films were made with my generation in mind.

I wasn't referring to Burton (who I consider to be one of the most operatic directors working today) but I think most would agree that Nolan's approach is to demystify.

There was an element of the "urban legend" angle early on--see the scene in the basement of Arkham ("The things they say about him...Can he really fly?"), and even some of that early on in TDK. I suspect that Batman is forced into a daylight confrontation, though, and even then there are still elements that have that mystique going on--Batman jumping around illuminated by gunfire being a key example. It's still less than the best, as pretty much all of Gotham is aware that it's a guy in a suit, however much a badass he is. I'd love for the next cinematic incarnation stick with the urban legend thing longer, with the population not just divided on whether Batman is good or not, but whether he exists or not, and if he is, what kind of creature he is.

As to the issue of sexuality, I think this kind of stems from the Denny O'Neill approach, where his lack of sexual activity isn't really due to any preferences, but is rather a matter of discipline and focus on his mission. With the kind of commitment he displays, it makes sense that any kind of sexual relationship or pursuit would be similarly focused--in this franchise, on Rachel initially. I am curious as to where the romantic angle goes, because there's obviously something going on with Miranda Tate, but there will presumably be at least some sexual tension with Catwoman (and with Catwoman, I hope that even after they become allies, Batman is still kept guessing as to what she's actually up to, in keeping with the nature of the character).

I wasn't referring to Burton (who I consider to be one of the most operatic directors working today) but I think most would agree that Nolan's approach is to demystify.

On a purely visual lever, yeah.

Karol

The Joker wasn't demystified. There was still something kinda magical about him. I like how no one knew where he came from. The dialogue in the jail about no prints or DNA matches, no name, etc.

But yeah, everything else seemed to be.

There was an element of the "urban legend" angle early on--see the scene in the basement of Arkham ("The things they say about him...Can he really fly?"), and even some of that early on in TDK. I suspect that Batman is forced into a daylight confrontation, though, and even then there are still elements that have that mystique going on--Batman jumping around illuminated by gunfire being a key example. It's still less than the best, as pretty much all of Gotham is aware that it's a guy in a suit, however much a badass he is. I'd love for the next cinematic incarnation stick with the urban legend thing longer, with the population not just divided on whether Batman is good or not, but whether he exists or not, and if he is, what kind of creature he is.

A lot of that is more or less just how Batman's story goes in most cases. By the time you get to the bat-signal and his partnership with Gordon, you have a guy who still has an air of mystery and controversy about him but it also more widely known to the public. Burton actually did the same thing with his film but more implicitly s; there's no discussion about whether Batman is real or some sort of creature in Returns, just the understanding of basically what he's about. Nolan seems to be running the gamut with the Batman persona, especially in his last one. I thought the ending to TDK was an opportunity for Batman to return to the shadows so-to-speak and I think that's where the character will be when we are reintroduced to him.

The Joker wasn't demystified. There was still something kinda magical about him. I like how no one knew where he came from. The dialogue in the jail about no prints or DNA matches, no name, etc.

But yeah, everything else seemed to be.

Isn't he just a crazy genius? But you're right, Nolan pretty much leaves the Joker untouched. Anyway, I'm not just talking about 'demystifying by giving us information or explanation' but 'demystifying by style'. Nolan's style is pretty sober.

Isn't he just a crazy genius? But you're right, Nolan pretty much leaves the Joker untouched. Anyway, I'm not just talking about 'demystifying by giving us information' but demystifying by style. Nolan's style is pretty sober.

Are you suggesting he should "get his style drunk"?

Everything else?

I'm the only one who remembers the implausible stuff in these films? Two-Face? Hello?

exactly what do you mean,

you say Two Face, what implausible stuff are you referring to exactly. Be specific, use bullet points for more detail. ;)

The way the man's face burns and the eyeball just sits there, and then he drinks whiskey on that much exposed flesh and muscle with nary a twitch?

Yea when I re-watched the movie last week I too thought it was too bad they didn't do more with the other eyeball. It's this perfect specimen in an otherwise burned to hell half-face. In reality it would need to be lubricated somehow, which is hard without eyelids and working tear ducts. Woulda been better if he lost that eye completely, but then I dunno if that imagery would still be PG13 material.

Everything else in both of Nolan's films is so grounded in reality though, this is the most "comic book/fantay"-ish they have gotten.

To a point. The hallucinogenic drug and its delivery system from the first movie were hokey, since we now know that it is not bath salts but synthetic mary jane that causes people to go nuts.

That's true, and I forgot the biggest fantasy element of all - Getting a fingerprint from a smashed up bullet in a wall! That was a WTF moment. They could have easily come up with some other way for Bruce to know the location of that apartment to go to

There's fantasy in these films for sure. The microwave machine, the echolocation in the second film, for example. And I guess TDKR will have its own deviations from reality.

sorry bub, but the echolocation is not fantasy, it's a potential reality.

There's fantasy in these films for sure. The microwave machine, the echolocation in the second film, for example. And I guess TDKR will have its own deviations from reality.

That's more science-fiction than fantasy.

Right, that's what I was trying to get at before. Most of the things in Nolan's films are grounded in Sci-Fi more than Fantasy. The biggest Fantasy element is Two-Face.

Be that as it may, if you were to ask, could Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, with all their attempt to use real-world technology and explanations, exist in the real-world of 2005 and 2008 when the movies came out, the answer is no.

The movies are not set in "present day" per se, they never say when they are set. TDKR takes place 14 years after TDK, so its DEFINITELY in the future. You could argue all the other ones were too.

The movies are not set in "present day" per se, they never say when they are set. TDKR takes place 14 years after TDK, so its DEFINITELY in the future. You could argue all the other ones were too.

I always thought the films take place in a near and not-so-distant future.

TDKR has my favourite sci-fi Bat-gadget so far.

Well that and the Bat-calling device of the first film.

Yea, when he calls the bats in Batman Begins that was awesome! One thing I missed about the sequel is that there was no more Wayne manor, and nary a bat to be seen anywhere at all!

I have no idea if Wayne Manor is rebuilt in the third one or not - I've stopped watching trailers/commercials and don't read articles about it - but I hope it is, and we get to see the cave again too.

I feel like Nolan wants to have it both ways. There is the pretense of reality but it has its share of fantasy elements - beginning with an adult grown man roaming around dressed up as a bat.

If it were straight out comic book fantasy, like every other superhero movie ever made, you wouldn't bat an eyelid, but this insistence that it is all real gives the movie a very absurd tone and makes it borderline preposterous when something fantasy-like happens. Comes with the territory I guess, you gain something by this approach, but you also lose something.

The movies are not set in "present day" per se, they never say when they are set.

I realize this. I assume that when a contemporary-looking movie doesn't start out with a date, a reasonable person can take the liberty of assuming it takes place at the present day. The way to tell is the cars: they're not using all 70s style cars of the past, or gull-wing doors to simulate a Demolition Man-style future. It's also not like Star Trek II, where the director threw in "In the 23rd century..." for his father.

TDKR takes place 14 years after TDK, so its DEFINITELY in the future.

Consesnus is that it takes place 8 years after TDK, not 14.

You could argue all the other ones were too.

There's nothing to base this on, unless you want to say that the amount of time these Batman movies slip into our future is enough time needed to make all the crazy science (and super-strength burn ointment) plausible. Irrelevant.