The Adventures of Tintin MUSIC Discussion thread

Jay

You never know with PJ. His musical collaborations have been quite varied. Think about a Shore scored Tintin with layers and layers of themes and ideas as Shore explores the full depths of the characters and the deep psychological underpinnings of Haddock's alcoholism and the dark side of Tintin. Rising Chords of Dooooommm!!!!

We can certainly hope he does and if Williams is still composing. Wouldn't the sequel come out in 2014 or 2015 the earliest?

If the movie's a hit, they sure don't suffer shortage of sequel scripts. It will be interesting to see if they say Fuck You to Williams' style like they did with POTTER, or if the following composers will honor it.

Spielberg's liner notes message is up on the main page now too

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=1376

Spielberg's liner notes are really lovely. It's great to see his passion for JW and his music.

Oh, and I'm sure that when he writes he loves to listen to the score in his car and on his iPhone, he means the complete recording sessions ;)

The low string ostinati have forever been tarnished by RCP composers. Woe the film composers!

I take those chords over hectic WHIRL AT ACADEME writing any day!

For me, it's the exact opposite!

Spielberg's liner notes message is up on the main page now too

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=1376

Spielberg's liner notes are really lovely. It's great to see his passion for JW and his music.

Oh, and I'm sure that when he writes he loves to listen to the score in his car and on his iPhone, he means the complete recording sessions ;)

The low string ostinati have forever been tarnished by RCP composers. Woe the film composers!

I take those chords over hectic WHIRL AT ACADEME writing any day!

For me, it's the exact opposite!

You are insane!

:biglaugh:

I want that phone....

Here are the notes for 13 Presenting Bianca Castafiore:

Includes excerpts from "Rosina's Cavatina" from The Barber of Seville by Gioachino Rossini and "Je Veux Vivre" from Romeo et Juliette by Charles Gounod.

Here are the notes for 13 Presenting Bianca Castafiore:

Includes excerpts from "Rosina's Cavatina" from The Barber of Seville by Gioachino Rossini and "Je Veux Vivre" from Romeo et Juliette by Charles Gounod.

Are you saying that is a direct quote from the booklet, or are you just letting us know that information on your own? Cause I noted all that in my original review of the CD on the main page weeks ago

A small trivia:

In the film's end credits, Eddie Karam is credited as the only orchestrator. It's known for sure Conrad Pope contributed as well. Strange.

If I'm not mistaken, Pope mainly arranged the opening and closing tracks, according to his descriptions. Maybe that's why he isn't credited?

A small trivia:

In the film's end credits, Eddie Karam is credited as the only orchestrator. It's known for sure Conrad Pope contributed as well. Strange.

Yes, i noticed that too.

If I'm not mistaken, Pope mainly arranged the opening and closing tracks, according to his descriptions. Maybe that's why he isn't credited?

The closing tracks?

You mean the concert arrangements? Except these concert arrangements are based on the actual cues, so...

I was just going to comment on this.

I think Pope may have orchestrated the early sessions, and this eddie karam got to orchestrate the finished cues.

Maybe pope was not available, he is not credited because the film cues are mostly revised ones...

EDIT: i m really digging this score more with each listen.

I really love 'the adventures of tintin'

Same here.

Me too. Ever since I saw the movie, this has become one of my favorite tracks! Now I understand what it "means."

I constantly see this score being called "weak" by people who's seen the film on several sites.

I don't understand...

Link? Or, better yet, exact location? Napalm drop is due!

I was just going to comment on this.

I think Pope may have orchestrated the early sessions, and this eddie karam got to orchestrate the finished cues.

Maybe pope was not available, he is not credited because the film cues are mostly revised ones...

He doesn't always get a credit. I think he once said he's done much much work for other composers than he's given credit for. It's the same as with screenwriters, I think.

Karol

he orchestrated Tinker-Tin*.

John Williams and cue names... Tinker-Tin?

* The Adventures of Tintin (ost 1)

This movie has changed alot since it's filming.

"Sir Francis and the Unicorn" (Old Enemies Meet) was originally meant to accompany a confrontation between Francis and Red Rackham.

The scene was revised and so was the music.

Sir Francis and the Unicorn scores a confrontatio between sirf francis and recd rackham... and the are old enemies that meet.

There is a second vision later where the confrontation gets personal. Scored with the same theme.

What do you mean?

The first version of Sir Francis and the Unicorn (Old Enemies Meet) scores a personal confrontation.

But also Tintin... Maybe the original visions were more like in the books (constantly swapping from Haddock to Francis shots).

the resemblance is striking.

Really i'm starting to think more that cuesheets are 'out there'.

the sheer ammount of information and detail is more of what a normal person should read in some musical notes and notations...

I have long since suspected that certain members have gotten hold of the first recording sessions JW did for Tintin in 2009 or 2010. For some reason they are hoarding it.

The sheet music for some or all (I have no exact information) of the first recording sessions leaked a good while back. Some people who can read music are making educated guesses based on that material I think.

I constantly see this score being called "weak" by people who's seen the film on several sites.

I don't understand...

Let me see, it doesn't contain the following chords: Am,F,C,E. Also no taiko drums and super bass synths...yeap, it's weak

How does sheet music tell you about exact changes in the film?

I don't know if you have seen any Williams sketches, but he writes notes about what's happening above the music (for syncing purposes), so it's possible to get a rough idea about the scene, the characters who appear etc. from those.

John Williams will take sketch paper and note along the top what happens at certains moments during the say 1 minute and 52 second scene he is scoring. The notes may be something like 'Captain "freaks"', 'Cut to deck', '"To The Death, Red Rackam"!', 'Haddock Is Struck', 'Captains Has Vision', etc. The he will write music that corresponds to the notes so it will fit into the film.

For example, here is the start of Williams' sketch for 1m3/2m1 Luke's Escape from TESB:

lukesescape.jpg

Another influence is Pirates of the caribean.

Red Reckhams theme is very Media Ventures!

didn't I say that a while back?

I can see red Reckham's theme becoming the theme for the franchise, because it's so RCP-like.

That's quite funny. Not 6 months ago I made a poll asking if Williams will ever have his style affected by Remote Control, and the consensus was "no, he's John bloody Williams".

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20366&hl=%2Bjohn+%2Bwilliams+%2Bremote+%2Bcontrol&fromsearch=1

"No, he only works for Spielberg".

Why the secrecy?

This is not potential money loss for any companies, isnt it?

Nobody sells Williams manuscript copies.

Sorry? What do you mean?

Why Williams handwritten scores aren't available for free or purchase out there?

i think it's one way to control the public performances of the original pieces.

And also, unfortunately some people do sell them .

The copy of Empire strikes back sketches appeared originally in ebay by someone who sold it..

yep, that explains it all.

BTW, thank god i cant read music, i would be very upset otherwise...

At least i hope you guys are trying to exchange it with indy IV or COS or something similar....

I'm sure people here don't have a clue what you are talking about.

The trading or selling of such things would be against all applicable copyright laws, no one here would engage in such criminal activities.

Sorry? What do you mean?

Why Williams handwritten scores aren't available for free or purchase out there?

i think it's one way to control the public performances of the original pieces.

You have to work with williams to understand and transcribe his sketches to full orchestra, i think. I said handwritten, BTW, not officially presed books with legible presentation.

I mean williams sketches leking does not rob Hal leonard any money, i think.

And yes is such a great crime that an orchestra divulge music from film playing in concerts... I dont think nobody would play the whole score without permission (or with it). Just the commercially available concert version, which are the ones suited for concert appealing.

And also, unfortunately some people do sell them .

The copy of Empire strikes back sketches appeared originally in ebay by someone who sold it..

If it was available...nobody would sell/buy it...

yep, that explains it all.

BTW, thank god i cant read music, i would be very upset otherwise...

At least i hope you guys are trying to exchange it with indy IV or COS or something similar....

I'm sure people here don't have a clue what you are talking about.

The trading or selling of such things would be against all applicable copyright laws, no one here would engage in such criminal activities.

I was speaking about collecotr cards...

Did anydoby here actually openly talked about cuesheets? neither did I, on that post... :P