Headphones

bob23

1 hour ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

What about nearby devices interfering with the signal? Is that an issue?

Never has been once for me.  I've worn mine at home, at the office, at the grocery store, while outside shoveling, all kinds of places.  It's great at home, I don't even have to leave my phone in my pocket, I can leave it charging on my nightstand and walk around the whole condo, well almost the whole condo, its basically a long rectangular shape so it doesn't fully reach from one end to the other.  Oddly, the only time the signal cuts out is what I have my phone in my back pocket and I kneel down so my butt pressed against the back of my legs.  For some reason that makes it cut out, like my ass is so fat the signal can't get through or something :P

The only thing I don't like about these Bose headphones is that it requires a battery...I got to invest in some rechargeable triple A batteries for this thing...

Until then I'm gonna get me another pair of earbuds from Wally World that I plan to use during the day.

The bluetooth headphones I have just charge with a microusb cable, the same we have a million of that charge both our phones.  I have to charge it like once a month

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

When the hell did Koss SportaPros get so expensive? I want to get a pair. I thought they used to be like 25 bucks?

SportaPros are $25 (Amazon). PortaPros are $40. Sure you looking at the same thing?

I just ordered SportaPros for work. I remember that hair gets snagged in the stupid PortraPro headband, and I don't want to have a bald spot. Same day delivery by Amazon for 10 bucks.

I used to listen on Koss Portas and Sportas before Grado and Sennheiser. I remember why. Frankly, Koss sound better. Sennheisers have a nice flat sound, Grados are bright and really bring the audio alive (but can get overbearing and aren't comfortable) and Koss are somewhere in between. I'll probably get the KSC75s at some point. Fuck everything else.

(until I get my Grados back from repair)

• 2 months later...

Anybody curious about checking out bluetooth headphones now is your chance.

The amazing bluetooth headphones I have and use daily are on sale today only on Amazon for sixty bucks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1XKC2U/

I paid $80 for my pair and its worth every penny, still use them all the time.  Great for mowing the lawn and other yard work!

61xQv8csNuL._SL1100_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my Sportapros took a shit (there's a fucking surprise) and I missed the same-day delivery deadline on Amazon. So, on my lunch break I swung by Fry's in a perhaps somewhat questionable area. I bought Sennheiser HD 205s. The packaging shows a well-built hispanic DJ man as opposed to a skinny white boy in a Star Trek shirt, so I was skeptical whether or not this was a good choice. But I know that Senns typically have a pleasing flat dry sound. I never had a problem with them. They sound pretty nice. 90s Horner scores are especially good. I read some reviews that said they were quite bassy, but the mids left a lot to be desired. But I hear nice mids and not much bass? That's like the complete opposite. I like that.

Good call with Sennheiser.  I will use Sennheisers until the end of time.  Just got a new set actually.  I almost don't mind being banned from actual studio monitors during the late hours.

20 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Good call with Sennheiser.  I will use Sennheisers until the end of time.  Just got a new set actually.  I almost don't mind being banned from actual studio monitors during the late hours.

I will always prefer headphones. Not sure why, but I don't trust monitors at all. They always seem to miss out on certain details.

40 minutes ago, Jilal said:

I will always prefer headphones. Not sure why, but I don't trust monitors at all. They always seem to miss out on certain details.

You lose intimacy, and of course if you have a wonky room, that'll really screw with you.  I know some people who now prefer to mix exclusively on headphones, but I'd never make the faux pas of admitting to that!

I attached the KSC75s to the Sportapro headband. They clip right on. The Sportapro wires are stiffer and break easily, which is what happened to mine. I had them folded up in their little bag and one of them snapped! Lame. KSC75 wires are nice and flexible as they should be.

I'm not an audiophile so I can't really comment. They're super comfortable and their noise cancellation is superb, hence QuietComfort! These are wireless too. Not worth the exorbitant prices, I'm sure, but as a gift I won't complain.

1 hour ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

What's with Bose? I thought they were terrible? I was shopping at Target for Star Trek Blu-rays and a significant portion of their electronics department was dedicated to Bose.

I've always found that Bose hypes up the low end to an almost silly level.

• 4 weeks later...

So what's all this about Apple excluding the traditional headphone jack from its next phone? Not that I care since I don't use Apple products, but what that company does tends to become trendy across the industry, which is a potential worry.

Oh great. Another device we have to charge. And when the battery goes terminal in two years, you won't be able to remove it and replace it. You'll need to buy a brand new pair of wireless headphones.

It's the future, therefore it is good!

Have you been under a rock in the Outback for the last two years this has been discussed? 

Yes, the prospect of having another device with a battery to charge, another adapter or cord or dock to find a home for and not misplace, that sucks. It won't affect me as an Android consumer. 

On 22 augustus 2016 at 6:22 PM, Shatner's Rug said:

I've had the flu over the last three days, so I've been on a diet of water.

You need fibres, proteins, fats and oils to achieve a strong, manly erection. Not just water!

A good T-bone steak!

• 2 months later...

You can't go wrong at any level. Still the most neutral, clear headphones I've used. I think the 558's are right at the top of your price range. I had them for years and they were a constant pleasure to listen on, and even to mix with.

I still listen to the HD205s. They're really good for orchestral music, even though the packaging showed a DJ and promised big bass. There's minimal bass and good mids. What the hell?

And then you have to do everything all over again ... Headphones are good to check if you have enough 'stereo' or not. If you have too much instruments in the center of the mix, it becomes immediately apparent on headphones, much more than on speakers.

I still need to get my Grado SR60e's fixed. Those things are wonderful. I think that when I was packing up my things, I ended up throwing away my old defunct iGrados, which also needed to be repaired for the same old broken cable resulting in loss of sound. I do kinda regret getting rid of them. As horribly designed as they were, they sounded great. Better than the traditional Grado SR60 and I think better than comparable (and cheaper) Koss models such as the KSC75, PortaPro and SportaPro. They were just too damned uncomfortable no matter what I did. Unfortunately, they've been succeeded by a lesser model called the eGrado which features inferior sound and doesn't solve any of the comfort issues. Why not just design them like the Koss headphones, you idiots?

I stand by my earlier analysis of headphones. The only brands you need are Koss, Grado and Sennheiser.

Thinking of asking for some Sennheisers (or a similar brand) for Christmas. Price range would be under $50. Obviously that takes all the fancy ones out of the equation, but I'm only looking for something entry level. Is this a good pair?

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-201-Lightweight-Over-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1479340580&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+201

The reviews on Amazon are very positive.

Any other suggestions (it doesn't have to be Sennheiser)? Any important info to know?

I haven't really worn real headphones much in the past, but I think they are probably better than earbuds, which can be a little uncomfortable and fall out easily (not to mention worse for your hearing).  

I currently listen with this - https://www.amazon.com/TDK-Life-Record-A28-Resistant/dp/B00T9KG9GG/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1479340691&sr=1-1&keywords=trek+flex - as well as a pair of cheap normal earbuds. But I assume that the portable speaker is giving me more of a mono sound than a stereo one (?) and that it's sound could be improved upon with headphones (?) (even though it sounds absolutely terrific compared to what I was listening on before, which was laptop speakers). And of course the cheap earbuds I'm sure deliver much worse sound than "real" headphones, even some of the cheaper versions. 

I really don't know much about this topic at all so any info would be great. For instance, perhaps that TREK Flex Bluetooth portable speaker that I often listen with these days has just as good if not better quality than those HD 201s and similar models? So a sound quality upgrade wouldn't be a reason to get some headphones, if I'm looking to get them cheap?

On 21/08/2016 at 10:54 PM, Koray Savas said:

KM's next set:

Are $50,000 headphones worth it?

If you want your music to sound good on headphones...possibly.

If you want them you to respect you in the morning, and cook you breakfast, then you're shit outta luck.