La-La Land Records re-issues John Williams' Jane Eyre OST May 22nd 2012

Romão

If I could sell my Silva in order to reacquire this (for the sound and booklet), I certainly would. I have no nostalgic connection to the physical disc itself. But the prospect of getting $20 for this (plus shipping) is quite slim, I think.

Are you serious? Used versions are selling on amazon for $200 right now

http://www.amazon.co...ing/B000026CHZ/

So if I move fast (before the LLL is released and the price on the old release plummets), I might have a chance?

Hmmmm...I could always try.

Do it, man. Worst case scenario, you get no biters and you're where you are now.

Or....I could sell it, but then the LLL sells out before I get it. That would be worse, as I would be stuck with nothing. And it's one of my JW favourites.

Oh, the dilemmas of a film score nerd! :)

Listed at Amazon for that price is not the same as selling at that price.

of course! if a person who DOES NOT want to spend that much, sees Thor's price (if its lower than the amazon/ebay sellers prices) they will jump at the chance. (that is, if they are not getting the LLL release :P )

If I could sell my Silva in order to reacquire this (for the sound and booklet), I certainly would. I have no nostalgic connection to the physical disc itself. But the prospect of getting $20 for this (plus shipping) is quite slim, I think.

Are you serious? Used versions are selling on amazon for $200 right now

http://www.amazon.co...ing/B000026CHZ/

So if I move fast (before the LLL is released and the price on the old release plummets), I might have a chance?

Hmmmm...I could always try.

It's pretty much guaranteed to sell at $20, but I'd aim higher if I were you. There are people who don't follow film score news closely. I sold my Intrada Predator for $22 when all the clues pointed to a reissue. I think all the others were going for $40+

Same situation with Goldsmith's The Edge, except the old OST sold for something like $30. People will look, see everyone at $100+, then yours and immediately bite. I think I'm gonna put my Fury up on Amazon for $130.

1, too bad that the original master was lost.

2, too bad for limited to only 2000 (It will gone within less than a week, could be one day!)

3, too glad that it finally get release! I can get myself one copy now!

I just got a chance to read Jeff Eldridge's notes for Jane Eyre, and they are terrific, well worth the price of admission. Jim Titus' artwork is spectacular as well, expect two sample pages up on the main page at some point soon.

The mystery of whether or not this is a re-recording is solved: 6 of the tracks from the original LP are made up of cues from the actual film score:

2. Overture (Main Title)

3. Lowood

6. Grace Poole and Mason's Arrival

8. Thwarted Wedding

9. Across The Moors

11. Reunion (End Title)

And the other 5 tracks were recorded specifically for the LP:

1. Love Theme from Jane Eyre

4. To Thornfield

5. Festivity at Thornfield

7. Meeting

10. Restoration

The notes do not mention when and how it might have come to be that the original film track masters might have been lost. It really is a shame they are gone, but there is no doubt that this LP represents exactly what Williams wanted to express from the score. The liner notes include some great background information, including a story about Williams traveling to Yorskshire with Barba Ruick to get a feel for the flavor of the place. It impressed the director, who had never had a composer do that before. :)

Can't wait to order on Tuesday!

I just found a high-quality version of the cover art on Jeff Eldridge's Facebook page

53648641684733834697510.jpg

Source:

213f75f56b768951ee465f103ecca861

Oh wow, that's gorgeous. I have the Silva, but I'm definitely purchasing this version, and probably an extra copy to give to a friend too. Really beautiful stuff.

Jim Titus is the best :)

Indeed. I wish LLL would let him do all the artwork for their releases. I'm not too fond of Mark Banning's artwork, IE: ID-4.

Yes the new (old) cover looks wonderful. The CD cover looks a bit cramped.

True. I do want the new package. I hope this trend doesn't continue. We don't need a reissue of The Towering Inferno, we need the complete score and the original album.

uhm, the complete score is lost.... or are you referring to the expanded score?

True. I do want the new package. I hope this trend doesn't continue. We don't need a reissue of The Towering Inferno, we need the complete score and the original album.

uhm, the complete score is lost.... or are you referring to the expanded score?

Are you sure about that?

The masters were in bad shape when FSM put out their disc (as indicated by the 'damaged' tracks). He might also be thinking of Poseidon Adventure, where some of the stereo masters are missing.

Yea I think the LLL release of The Poseidon Adventure is all that will ever turn up for that score :(

It's amazing how many master elements go missing

Especially as recent as twenty years ago. What MV said on Tim Burden's radio show about the 90s being a black hole of elements... makes ya worry a little bit, doesn't it? :-/

Well, where did you read this "fact"?

FSM, and from Goodmusician.

cues are still missing.

transparent.gif

icon1.gif Posted: Feb 25, 2011 - 4:11 PM By: Browny (Member)

Hopefully one day in the not too distant future someone will reissue this title. Lukas has already stated that the studio relationships used to produced this CD are no longer active for them but still this is the first FSM CD I bought, being my all-time favourite film. The storage of the film's music due to its complex production history (20th Century Fox has the film stems, Warner Bros. has the album masters) indicates it would take quite some organization to produce a new issue, let alone work out all the legal and rights issues.

I will however, be forever grateful to Lukas Kendall and his company for releasing this ten years ago. I agree with many of the sentiments above with regards to alternates and LP program etc. It would require some mammoth restoration work though, especially as the unmentionable of the LP has atrocious sound quality, albeit I recall a thread where one poster vehemently disagreed. On this point however, I side with Lukas!

The FSM CD sounds great to these ears, and although some of the LP tracks were recorded concurrently for release, the film version of the Main Title (with extra percussion) to me is the definitive version (the LP track has additional cymbal work and a balance of different instruments in at least two spots but sounds near identical). The mastering work by Mike McDonald at Private Island Trax was terrific and is my preferred version. Likewise, "An Architect's Dream" on the LP has a more upbeat final coda than appears on the film version.

Certainly, some sonically sub-par tracks on the 35mm film stems weren't perfect but at least they were included. Whilst it is known that the LP version of 'Trapped Lovers' omits the ten or so seconds of the scene of Susan Flannery throwing the chair through the office window, it is at least restored in the film version recording.

As an aficionado of this wonderful score I have enjoyed the various interpretations of the music on other albums (as played by the RSNO etc) but the highlight of getting a new revised edition (hopefully with superb audio) would include all the original alternate tracks and source music. ie. I have mentioned many times on this board about 'The Promenade Room' cue, a catchy little bit of lounge music playing in the background. This is so prominent and should definitely be included on any future edition. I am aware that the 35mm film stems do not include some of the music required below, but who knows, with any luck some additional sources may be found!

Anyway, for purists, I thought I would list what extras could be included on a proposed second or even third disc if the second was to contain the original LP program and it is a definitive run down of source music and other unreleased cues:

“Head Set Leakage” – source music composed by Williams for Phillip’s headphones.

“Again” – An instrumental by Fox music director Lionel Newman and Dorcas Cochran that is heard on the 81st floor as the Real estate agent (William Bassett) shows a pair of prospective tenants (an uncredited Elizabeth Harrower and Harry Hickox) through the lobby. A favourite of Fox music editors, this track in a differing arrangement can be found on the FSM "Batman" (1966) soundtrack which is also out of print!.

“The More I See You” – This Harry Warren and Mack Gordon tune is heard immediately following the dedication ceremony as guests make their way to the scenic elevator for a trip to the Promenade Room party.

"You Make Me Feel So Young" - this song by Josef Myrow and Mack Gordon is purported to be used as background source music.

“We May Never Love Like This Again” – Instrumental of the film’s Oscar winning song heard as an extension of the vocal version by Maureen McGovern who does a cameo singing the song.

“Lisolette and Harlee” (Alternate) – A pop arrangement of their theme accompanies the two in their scene following the vocal version of the above track which segues in from the instrumental.

“Maggie Shoots Pool” – A snippet of this cue from Williams’ score to “Cinderella Liberty” is heard as source music in the Promenade Room when Duncan is on the phone, however it is NOT the version that appears on the Original Soundtrack of that film; it has been re-recorded for use on 'Towering Inferno' -- this is obvious when watching the deleted scene on the DVD where it is featured.

“The Morning After” – This arrangement of the Kasha/Hirschhorn song from “The Poseidon Adventure” is heard as background music in the Promenade Room when Duncan initially converses with Roberts re. Will Giddings. (NB: Already included as a bonus track on the official FSM disc).

“The Promenade Room” – One of the most sought after unreleased cues from the film is the one where Williams provides some low-key lounge music for this source cue. Chief O’Halloran orders Duncan to evacuate the party; the music becomes louder as Lisolette and Harlee are seen dancing and Duncan lectures Roger. The track features a ragged ending as Duncan asks the house band to stop playing. So what if the original recording concludes with a ragged ending. Surely an artificial fade could be applied here?

“The Rescue of Angela” – When Phillip announces that his sister is missing, Roberts tries to find her. (This cue was missing from the master tapes, hence not included on the FSM CD).

“The Blocked Door” – Duncan and Senator Parker check the stairwell exits only to find one clouded with smoke and the other cemented shut. (Missing from the master tapes, hence not included on the FSM CD).

“Down the Ropes” – When a power outage stalls their service elevator near the 77th floor, O’Halloran and three of his men must rappel 12 stories down the elevator shaft to floor 65. (This cue was missing from the master tapes, hence not included on the FSM CD).

“The Kiss of Life” – Firemen discover an unconscious man overcome by smoke and attempt to revive him. This lengthy scene was edited out of the theatrical cut but appears in the longer TV Broadcast version. (It is scored with an un-titled 30 second cue that curiously does not appear on the official cue sheet nor on the surviving master tapes but can be viewed as part of one of the many featurettes on the SE-DVD).

“Hanging Out” – O’Halloran struggles to hold on to the fireman until the scenic elevator can reach the ground. (While it is listed on the Cue Sheet, it is not heard in the film and wasn’t found on the master tapes.)

“What Explosion?” – O’Halloran is told he is the only one qualified to rig the charges to the Water tanks. A string crescendo leads to his reaction when he learns he will not be able to escape before the explosion.(This cue was also missing from the master tapes, and hence not included on the FSM CD).

Whew that's it. Hope you all enjoyed it!

Yea I think the LLL release of The Poseidon Adventure is all that will ever turn up for that score :(

It's amazing how many master elements go missing

Yeah, everytime I hear that master tapes are gone or destroyed, I feel like Yoda when he sensed Order 66 being put into action.

I'm happy with what La La Land did with Poseidon Adventure, it's at least the best it could be...

I'm very excited for Jane Eyre, it's a really fun score.

I know master session tapes can deteriorate over time if they're not kept in proper storage. However when they are but elements are missing...makes you wonder if they were actually stolen by others. It's been known to happen before with other scores.

I think it's more of a case that the recordings are taken and utilized for the film, then discarded after they've served that purpose. This is especially true of older films. Why would they save all that stuff 50+ years ago?

This is going on a long term "to buy" list for me. I already have the original, and better sound quality isn't enough to make me spend $25. The booklet is enticing, although I find that often liner notes focus too much on how the cues line up with the film instead of providing an analysis of the score, which to me is more interesting.

This is going on a long term "to buy" list for me. I already have the original, and better sound quality isn't enough to make me spend $25. The booklet is enticing, although I find that often liner notes focus too much on how the cues line up with the film instead of providing an analysis of the score, which to me is more interesting.

Do you mean more an analysis on more musical terms of the score or how it relates to the story and drama? For as wonderful as dissecting musical components might be to those who understand them, the semiquavers and perfect fifths go over the head of most readers of these liner notes.

If both musical (theory based) and narrative analysis can be joined it would serve both worlds (much like in The Music of Lord of the Rings Films). But on the other hand it just takes a heck of a lot of space to accomodate both, to satisfy both academic and accessibility needs.

I don't think it has to go down to that level - you can do an analysis of how the music works in the film (just like your Potter analysis) without going into the actual structure of the notes.

Murray Gold's notes for the Doctor Who releases go no deeper than describing the scene and the approach he was taking. You could use part of that approach, but also talk about instruments/atmosphere and why the choice was appropriate for the scene.

This is going on a long term "to buy" list for me.

Unfortunately since the release is limited to 2,000 copies, you might not have that option...

Unfortunately since the release is limited to 2,000 copies, you might not have that option...

So might this be an album that will be sold out within 24 hours?

:blink:

It's possible

Contributing to it selling out quickly would be that it's John Williams, it has new liner notes and completely remastered sound, and its limited to 2,000 copies

Contributing to it not selling out quickly would be that it's an identical to previous CD releases, and its not among his most popular scores

Dammit!

I wanted to wait until June, but now I feel like I have no choice but to order today...

On a related note, HOOK still hasn't sold out? :blink: I really wonder how many copies are still left!

I think the fastest it could possibly sell out would be 24 hours. Realistically, I think it will either sell out by comic con, or not for years

Do you mean more an analysis on more musical terms of the score or how it relates to the story and drama? For as wonderful as dissecting musical components might be to those who understand them, the semiquavers and perfect fifths go over the head of most readers of these liner notes.

If both musical (theory based) and narrative analysis can be joined it would serve both worlds (much like in The Music of Lord of the Rings Films). But on the other hand it just takes a heck of a lot of space to accomodate both, to satisfy both academic and accessibility needs.

That would be nice, but not necessary IMO. Instead of telling us exactly what is happening during each section of each cue, I would prefer an analysis of how the music stands on its own to tell a story, whether that story is the same one the film is trying to tell or not. But I understand that others might want something different, this is just my opinion.

I don't think so. Like Koray said, Images is still around at 2000 copies, and that music was never available on CD. This is the 3rd CD release of Jane Eyre without any new music. I think it'll be around for a while.

I think that's very likely. But you never know.

Jane Eyre is certainly more popular of a score than Images

Yeah, everytime I hear that master tapes are gone or destroyed, I feel like Yoda when he sensed Order 66 being put into action.

Haha :lol: I feel you mate! :D

So you guys say this one could be gone in 24 hrs?! :o Well no other choice then than to order it pronto in an hour or so ... :P

What we're saying is that it's hard to predict. Some people think it will sell out really fast, some people think it will never sell out at all.

I hope this release won't sell out in a hurry since I can't get it immediately. And then again if I don't I'll always have the original so I have my bases covered. ;)