John Williams nominated for a Grammy for "The Book Thief"

indy4

Are you seriously still confused?

This isn't an award for films - it's an award for music albums.

The ceremony is happening in February 2015, so the voting would have to happen before then. You could make the eligibility period Jan 1 2014 to Dec 31 2014, but that doesn't give people much time to listen to stuff that comes out at the end of the year. So, the eligibility period is slid 3 months, so its stuff from Oct 1 2013 to Sep 30 2014. Makes complete and total sense to me.

The Grammys have been this way forever.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was not aware of the Grammy timeframes at all.

I bought The Book Thief because I thought Williams has revisited his 'Autumn' mode but somehow the music sounds like a weak carbon copy of similar past scores . It's nice but I don't seem to respond to it emotionally. Am I the only one?

Alex

Nope. I'm on the same boat. I'm a big fan of his autumnal sound as well, and TBT just seems a bit underwhelming in that regard. I t sounds, dare I say, a bit autopilot even. Has its moments, but it's a dust collector for me. I much prefer Lincoln, which moves me more.

I just realized this morning when listening to the score once more, that something seems "broken" in the main theme, as if certain notes seems not to be right (of course they're right, but it's in a minor mode and they intentionaly draws our attention).

This theme is always present, it prowls... Well, It's in fact the Death Theme.

At the end of the CD, in the "Finale" it's reprised once more, but it now appears "corrected"... the theme is now tansformed in major-key.

Wow...

Death lurking... and a the end of a long and busy life, as a form of relief, she eventually wins.

What poetry, Chapeau! bowdown

Congratulations for the Grammy, it was deserved!

NOTE: Sorry if I wrote "she" to talk about death, it's because in French we say "La mort", it's a word in the feminine gender.

The movie does have two main themes, the Book Thief main theme for Liesel and the one for Death/Providence as Williams calls it. It is truly beautiful how the Death theme becomes a tender send-off for Liesel as Death who has been following her fate now finally comes to claim his friend. It is a simple yet terribly moving piece of music even without the subtext but all the more poignant for it.

I didn't even finish listening to this one. It's boring.

Give it a chance.

To be honnest, It's a soundtrack that I was merely listening on online websites. Yesterday, I ordered the CD on Amazon.

I'm a little bit ashamed, but I listen to a lot of music and sometimes... when a work is honoured like this, it gives me the boost to listen to it again.

And in this case, I fell in love. :)

If you forward to about 21:15 in the attached video you can see Williams's Grammy award being announced by the lovely Hilary Hahn. Two of my favourite musicians in one!

http://www.grammy.com/videos#ooid=Jyc2c4czo8kddXMwcRTdtWBgGJvXfUG5

Heh lovely miss Hahn is a tad nervous isn't she. :)

• 1 month later...

If you forward to about 21:15 in the attached video you can see Williams's Grammy award being announced by the lovely Hilary Hahn. Two of my favourite musicians in one!

http://www.grammy.com/videos#ooid=Jyc2c4czo8kddXMwcRTdtWBgGJvXfUG5

Heh lovely miss Hahn is a tad nervous isn't she. :)

Time for some shameless namedropping. I spoke to the Hahnster yesterday at a meet and greet after her recital in London and, as she signed my Schoenberg / Sibelius CD, I said to her, "I saw John Williams stood you up at the Grammies." She laughed and said something about him being very busy!

Which was nice.