The Jurassic Park Cue Digital Restoration Project

RedBard

The JP Cue Digital Restoration Project

Purpose: To take the missing cues from the Jurassic Park Anthology and digitally render them using notation software, sample libraries, and audio-editing software. That's right, folks. No more stinky rips from Blu-Rays.

=============================

Part One: "You Bred Raptors"

I have here a link to a digital rendtion "You Bred Raptors" that I have concocted with my software:

http://picosong.com/5rsg/

Let me know what you think.

Be brutally honest, and perhaps even suggest ways that it can be sonically improved (because we all know how much first drafts sucks).

Thanks.

It was a careful combination of a couple of different libraries (including Garritan), and a careful touch of reverb post-render.

Still, it needs to sound not just good, but great. I know there are scarier-sounding synth string patches out there.

At any rate, I'll sooner be finished with "System Ready" before I finish "The Trouble With Dennis".

Maybe you can move this to a new thread, Jay. I don't have the power to do that, and I don't want to detract too much from this thread.

Wow, I likie! The ending isn't quite accurate in sound to how it is in the film, but I know one can only get so close. Can't wait to hear how Trouble With Dennis sounds, which I am sure will end up being a bit more complex in it's latter half.

You better watch out. People will start having you make mockups for The Lost World, which will be a bit more... intensely complex. LOL

Wow, I likie! The ending isn't quite accurate in sound to how it is in the film, but I know one can only get so close.

Well, it also has to do with the sound quality of the original audio rip. It's hard to make out those last several secondswith the ambient noise in the background (probably because of mike placement or equipment noise).

btw, what part of the ending "isn't quite accurate in sound"? Dynamics? Volume? Reverb? The samples themselves? 'Cause I can always find better sample.

Details, details. I can't make bricks without clay.

Can't wait to hear how Trouble With Dennis sounds, which I am sure will end up being a bit more complex in it's latter half.

Oh, yes it will. Currently, I'm working on "System Ready." I should have it up by tomorrow afternoon (Pacific Standard Time for me).

You better watch out. People will start having you make mockups for The Lost World, which will be a bit more... intensely complex. LOL

Actually, I'd be happy to... if I had the complete score with the missing cues. (What are the missing cues, exactly?)

Hey, how else did you think I digitially rendered "You Bred Raptors"?

Part Two: "System Ready"

Next up on the list is a digital rendtion of "System Ready." Link below:

http://picosong.com/5G4u/ OUTDATED LINK! SEE REVISED VERSION IN POST #32!

Be brutally honest, and perhaps even suggest ways that it can be sonically improved (because dammit, it deserves to sound awesome per JW standards).

Thanks.

The final cue ("The Trouble With Dennis") will take a bit longer to finish in contrast to the previous two.

Just had a listen...

Wow, these are much better than I was expecting.

My only complaints are that it's a bit reverby and muffled. I know we're talking Shawn Murphy... but it's needs more attack. Also, timbre-wise all of the woodwinds sound flutey/sine wavey, even double reeds. The horns in System Ready a bit too brassy and accented - they don't really gel with the winds and strings.

Re: synths - for create a good string patch, read this article. In fact SoS is a great resource in general for learning about synthesis.

Yes too much reverb, but more than that, you should try playing in the parts in real time rather than sequencing them. That makes the difference between a mockup and a musical mockup.

Does this work even if you're a clumsy pianist?

I can reduce the reverb and equalize the track no problem. Initially, I was worried that there was too little reverb (thus making it sound more "dry"), but your comments helped ease my conscious.

But what do you mean when you say "more attack"? I don't understand. Do you mean increase the attack in the sound envelope for certain instruments?

And for the string patch, I chose an expressive 60-player string section. Too much? Not enough? I can go with 50-player and 70-player samples.

Ultimately, I am using my ears to interpret the original rips. Too much ambient noise, hissing, etc. is making it difficult to determine the right timbre and colors for the strings.

I'm not all that good with wave editing, to be honest. But I am good with sound envelopes.

By ear? Why?

To determine the right timbre and colors for the different instruments, especially the strings and synth patches.

And I don't strictly do it by ear, either. Without the score, I wouldn't be able to even start this project.

You asked for brutal honesty. . . .

I can't say I liked it much. For starters, it's only thirty seconds long. Could you not put a little more effort into something like this?

And it didn't feature any of the major themes from the film. Just some low-key ambiance with some flutes fluttering in the background. This was a massive score, dude. Throw a line or two of the adventure theme in there. Spice things up a bit, fercryinoutloud!

I expect better things next time.

And it didn't feature any of the major themes from the film. Just some low-key ambiance with some flutes fluttering in the background.

A Frustrated Brian of Nazareth: Of course it's supposed to be low-key ambience with some flutes fluttering in the background! That's what it is! That's what the score reads! What do you want from me, a bloody 9th Symphony?

Heh . . . sorry. had to see how you'd react to that. Nice one, too, with the LOB call-in.

I was just having some fun with you. Actually, I really like the piece (even the timbres and colors for the strings!). I furthermore wish I had the means and knowledge to do such things myself, and slightly resent you for having the means, knowledge, and a good bit of talent for it. ("Blessed are the samplers. . . .")

Well done!

Thanks. I knew you were joking, so I continued the joke.

Well, folks, edits for "System Ready" are gonna have to wait. I'm off to see the Harlem Globe Trotters.

Catch you later tonight.

Have fun! However . . . understand that we fully expected a digital re-rendering of "Sweet Georgia Brown" upon your return.

Let's hire that $99 dollar orchestra to do Rialto Ripples.

Oh, hello. Good work. I can actually stand to listen to your synthesized recreations. Trust me, that's a compliment.

Both of these are superb - I've put them in my playlist with the rest of the score.

I look forward to The Trouble With Dennis. I had a BD rip of that in my playlist for ages, before deciding I just couldn't have sfx in this score.

And for the string patch, I chose an expressive 60-player string section.

I was talking about the synth patch that's doubling the strings. But you now mention the 'real' strings, the string section should be cold and non-vibrato. Only violins and high cellos - violas enter in bar 2 doubling the bassoon and stopped/muted horns.

Re: synths - you want to go a step further, you could always ask Randy Kerber on Facebook what synths he was using in the early 90s. Might not remember, but there's always a chance. There's some good emulations out there. For example, Korg does a great recreation of the M1.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/m1-by-korg

UPDATE!

Part Two: "System Ready"

The previous link is now officially outdated. Here is the revised digital rendition of "System Ready." Link below:

http://picosong.com/LsMz/

Now with less reverb, less "flutey" flutes, less horn attack, and colder, non-vibrato strings!

• 2 weeks later...

Part Three: "The Trouble With Dennis"

After a long delay on my part, I now present a digital rendition of "Digital Rendition." Link below:

http://picosong.com/LVpV/ <<<Outdated link. Updated link in Post #42.

The first thing you'll notice is that there are no sound effects in the track like on the Blu-Ray rip. It's a start, but it's only a first draft. Suggestions for improvement?

Stupid legato keyswitch

I can't put my finger on what's wrong, but it doesn't sound like everything is in the same "room" to me. You use EastWest stuff right? Maybe it's because of how wet those are.

I can lower the wetness easily and sonically put them all in the same "room."

For this rendition, almost all the instruments I used are from Garritan libraries.

Just the harp, Celeste, and synthesizer (The score calls for a "Pulse" patch <<< incredibly vague, so I just picked the most "pulse" sounding patch I could find).

Everything else is Garritan.

Does Garritan still have built in panning/reverb? Can you adjust them, if so? Do you use those settings, or do you set everything to center and turn all the ambience off, and use your own external settings for spatialization (hint: that is what you should do)?

Does Garritan still have built in panning/reverb? Can you adjust them, if so? Do you use those settings, or do you set everything to center and turn all the ambience off, and use your own external settings for spatialization (hint: that is what you should do)?

So basically, you want me to "flatten" all the instruments? Doing so would then require to add reverb one of two ways: 1) using a plug-in with the MIDI software (I use QL Spaces for reverb, btw), or 2) in post-production with audio editing software.

Needs more bass, more subharmonics.

I can increase the bass settings. I don't know the first thing about subharmonics in regard to MIDI mockups, though.

Yes, turn all of Aria's (or whatever the player happens to be) panning, "stereo spread," and ambience/convolution settings off. If you're mixing libraries (and also in general, but that's just my preference) it's best to use any virtual instrument totally dry if you can, and do your own reverb and spatialization in the DAW with a plugin like VSS or SPAT or using standard wet/dry ratio and panning trickery. Of course some libraries are hard-wired with reverb which makes them more or less impossible to blend seamlessly with other libraries.

Updated Link:

http://picosong.com/LX9N/

For Round Two, I panned all the instruments dead center and turned off all reverb plugins in program, getting them as dry as possible. Reverb and slight bass increase all done post-mockup.

Definite improvement, to my ears, at least. Certainly a better representation of what Garritan can do than their own demos. I think you could pan everything much wider though, and really create a good stereo image of the "stage."

So if I'm understanding you correctly (which, given my abysmal music technology know-how, I most likely am not), you want me to tweak the "stereo imagery" in the MIDI software, or in post-production?

I would not do it in the actual sample player. As in, don't pan in the Aria player - everything there should be centered. Pan the actual individual instrument tracks in your DAW. Do you use Logic? Basically the principle is that you don't want to control anything from anywhere other than your virtual mixing board in your host software.

No. I'm on a PC.

To be honest, I just go straight for the notation software when I write these mock-ups because my training in such software is light-years more proficient than in MIDI software (and it's much easier for me to visualize the score compared to bars in MIDI tracks).

I see. Well I play parts in real time from handwritten scores and so don't muck about with MIDI piano roll or whatever, and I don't use notation software either. Not sure about pan controls in those things.

Honestly, if you intend to be serious about virtual music production, you will have to graduate from Finale or Sibelius to Cubase or something and get pretty proficient at it.

You get pan controls in notation software. That's how I was able to center up and flatten all the instruments.

As reluctant as I am to say this, you're right about Cubase and having to learn it for getting serious in virtual music production, but first and foremost, it's a matter of money for me ($550 for Cubase Pro 8!?) and the steep learning curve that comes with the software. I just got done learning one skillset to achieve proficiency, and now I gotta learn another. It's rather daunting, to be honest.

True to life: it's not enough to be a composer anymore. You gotta be an an audio engineer, producer, mixer, etc.