What's the best sounding recording of a John Williams score?

Sharkissimo

Each record has in own color, we must accept it. I really pity people who are bothered by the quality of the recordings, to the depends of music itself. As a lover of classical music, I do not require the same quality of recording for film music, this is really not the same standards.

My friends, have fun while listen music and accept the colors of each recordings, as we can't change them.

As a lover of classical music, I do not require the same quality of recording for film music, this is really not the same standards.

That's because you're a snob.

Hey now. We're talking about a matter of taste here. By that logic, you're a snob, too.

Heck, we're ALL snobs according to that logic.

No, only snobs are snobs.

So then we must first establish a list of objective criteria for what constitutes a snob on JWFan.

Until then, calling someone a snob is a moot point.

Common sense provides adequate criteria.

Common sense also shows that it's pointless to dispute matters of taste.

Then we can shut this place down, I suppose. Why bother talking about anything?

You're right. It's much easier to shut off communication than to reach an understanding.

If he's a snob, then you're a snob as I'm a snob. We're all snobs.

Take pride in your snobbery. You're in good company.

Sarcasm and joking aside (in that order), you've piqued my curiosity.

Do you find Bespin to be a snob? If so, why?

I thought it was pretty clear, which is what's so absurd about this whole exchange. He seems to think that film music doesn't need to be held to the same high standards as "classical" music. Until he clarifies that statement, I, and Sharky it seems, will view it as a form of snobbery.

I thought it was pretty clear, which is what's so absurd about this whole exchange. He seems to think that film music doesn't need to be held to the same high standards as "classical" music. Until he clarifies that statement, I, and Sharky it seems, will view it as a form of snobbery.

Fair enough.

We're talking sociocultural boundaries which, by definition, cannot be shared. Classical/Romantic music doesn't have the same challenges and construction as film music, so you're right. This point does deserve to be addressed.

On one hand, it's all the same. Classical, romantic, and (most) film scores, it's all just instrumental music written on sheet music played by a symphony orchestra. To any mainstream uneducated person, it's all wordless background music, and puts them to sleep.

On another hand, fans of classical music are pleased to accept re-recordings of music because the original performances usually predate modern recording equipment. No original recordings of Beethoven or Bach or Tchaikovsky exist. So re-recordings are all we have.

But film scores are a modern invention for a modern invention, movies, and so these fans are spoiled by being able to have original recordings at their convenience. They haven't needed to have re-recordings made, so many feel threatened by such an idea.

There is an analogy in the classical world: favorite conductors. Many are considered to be the best in the field, such as Bernstein, Karajan, and Stokowski, and so while other recordings exist by other conductors and groups, only certain recordings are considered the benchmarks to which other performances are judged.

So in the film score world, these benchmark performances tend to be the original recordings and any others may be considered inferior by those who wish it. Of course, many scores have not been re-recorded as often as classical music because film scores are newer, the audience is smaller, there's not always been a need, and the legal rights are closely guarded, as opposed to classical music in the public domain.

I never really thought of Amistad having "reference quality sound" but now that I think about it, it actually does sound pretty good.

On the subject of JW Americana, does anybody else hate the sound quality of Born on the Fourth of July? Everything sounds thin and hissy, especially when compared to the sound quality of his later Americana scores.

Any discussion of the best-sounding Williams CDs is incomplete without a mention of Amistad.

It sounds ok. Certainly better than Seven Years in Tibet, which perhaps marked the beginning of Murphy's decline. I can barely listen to that.

Only on the bootleg, the strings sound incredibly rich on the MCA cd.

Yup.

Btw, for me creaking chairs and intakes of air = superior sound.

If you add clearing spit valve sounds and dropping mallets you would love my orchestra's sound.

If you add clearing spit valve sounds and dropping mallets you would love my orchestra's sound.

Don't forget audible page turns. That's the difference between a superior orchestra and a cream-of-the-crop orchestra.

There's a quiet bit on "Night Of The Beast", where you can hear the orchestra picking up their instruments. Brilliant.

As for "TWOE" and "EOTS": Armin Stiener does not get the best out of an orchestra.

Howabout a JW/Simon Rhodes collaboration?