Poll: Tintin extended edition preference

Gurkensalat

Tintin ultimate edition?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What would be in your opinion the best Tintin expanded edition?

• The complete soundtrack as heard in the film (like an expanded FYC) plus the original album
    • The complete first recording sessions plus the main alternates from the second recording sessions as bonus
    • The complete music in chronological order, making each track as long as possible by combining editorially music from both recording sessions
    • other (specify)

After comparing the OST and the FYC of Tintin I asked myself, how a future expanded edition should look like. Tintin is a complicated case because of 2 recordings sessions and a lot of small edits and differences between alternates in those two recordings.

I'd like it to be done in the format that La-La Land is using with the complete score (preferably without the micro-edits) on the first disc and extra cues (like the alternate main titles) on the second disc.

Disc 1 - 2

The final version of the score (combining the first and second sessions) as intended to go with the picture, without any edits not meant to join different takes.

Disc 2 cont. (and possibly 3?)

Bonus material: cues from either sessions that were left unused or rewritten and The Adventure Continues with dialogue and SFX from the film.

Well, the best way to determine the complete score is to have the cue sheet for the film first.

Does anyone here have it? I don't know if it's listed in the The Complete Cue Lists thread.

Update: Just checked. There's no complete cue list for Tintin (2011) in that tread.

Another Update: Found it: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20915

Yet Another Update: If anyone were by chance to have the full score for this film, I'd be more than happy to digitally recreate the unreleased tracks.

Can't you just change his post, or implement an automatic word correction algorithm? We used to have one that would put the symbols into curse words. Or seriously, we are going to Tin type Tin as Tin often Tin as Tin we Tin Tin can.

Fixed.

Really? You can do word correction algorithms on this forum?

See if you can do it to change my name to RedBeard every time it's typed into a post.

Alright. We get it. Word changing algorithms are not really worth discussing here on this thread.

We now bring you back to your regularly scheduled thread concerning Tintin.

I personally would love to see a complete soundtrack, including the missing cues.

I don't see why a release of the complete score of Tintin would be complicated at all.

You'd simply have all the cues as Williams recorded them, in the original intended order, filling up the first disc and I dunno, maybe twenty minutes of the second. Whenever more than one version of a cue was recorded, the final one written (or the original with inserts added) would be used.

Then, on the second disc after the main program ends, you'd have all those earlier versions of the cues in a bonus track section, again in film order.

Easy peasy.

So from what I can see, 40 some odd cues are missing from the current commercially available soundtrack:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Adventures-Tintin-Secret-Unicorn/dp/B005KWAWJ2

In light of this information (and the current market for film soundtracks), I can't see Jay's idea for a complete soundtrack as anything other than an LP Release through either Intrada or LLL, because there's no way Sony Masterworks is gonna touch this soundtrack at this point.

It's just not important. This score along with Crystal Skull are forgettable cookie cutter Williams. His heart just wasn't in it, although Tintin moreso seems to have all the trappings of the classic whimsical Williams fantasy/adventure scores. Unfortunately, it's soulless.

There's something missing. Like he forgot to mix in one of the ingredients

I like the score very much. I think what you mean is that it's a A-caliber score with no A-caliber theme to drive it. Tintin's own theme is basically a secondary idea in his own score.

Karol - who enjoys both

Yes, all the themes from Tintin are excellent "secondary" themes but there seems to be that one missing.

Kinda like The Hobbit for most people, really.

It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the remaining material but it seems scores like that require that one crucial ingredient. The one that dominates over everything else.

Or perhaps it's just an old-fashioned idea?

Karol

Tintin isn't anywhere near as enjoyable for me as I wanted it to be, but I'd still snatch up an expanded release.

My preference is simple: I just want every single cue that was recorded, without any edits. The order doesn't especially matter to me, as long as I know what's what. I suppose my preference would be to just present the first recording sessions, followed by the later ones (or vice versa).