Why does the Ladd Company logo sound like it was recorded on an Edison phonograph?

We should have one for each badly represented movie company logo tune JW has composed. Wasn't it released on the FSM Outland soundtrack? Was it bad sounding even there?

The sound is terrible.

I love the logo. It's a part of Blade Runner (just like 20th Century Fox is presumably a part of Star Wars for the fans - even though the latter doesn't make any visual sense). I was very surprised when I learnt it was Williams. It doesn't sound like him.

Alex

The sound is terrible.

I love the logo. It's a part of Blade Runner (just like 20th Century Fox is presumably a part of Star Wars for the fans - even though the latter doesn't make any visual sense). I was very surprised when I learnt it was Williams. It doesn't sound like him.

Alex

Isn't that the best Williams?

We only watch Blade Runner to hear this magnificent snippet of golden age Williams greatness, yet it sounds like pure shit.

Agreed, this beauty got raped.

Along with our childhoods.

The sound is terrible.

Alex

Isn't that the best Williams?

Yes, I'm still waiting for him to repeat that trick.

I liked to be surprised. A lot of JFK doesn't sound like Williams either and it's great.

wasn't it on some Barry c.d.?

I have it but don't know where from

Wasn't it released on the FSM Outland soundtrack? Was it bad sounding even there?

Really?

In 1982, when the digital tree was slowly forming, a lot of people must have believed that the movie had started. Most people weren't familiar with The Ladd Company and the green computer graphics seem to belong in movies from the creator of Alien. Also, the title in Alien gradually takes shape as well. All this is in contrast to Star Wars, I don't think anyone ever thought that the 20th Century Fox image was a part of the actual movie.

Musically, 20th Century Fox and Star Wars made a lot more sense, of course.

Alex

The Fox logo was even more integrated into the opening of the film with Goldsmith's original Main Title because his music overlaid it.

I hate it when they update logos of catalogue titles for new home video releases. The biggest one that pissed me off was MGM replacing the Virgin Films logo in Electric Dreams with the standard modern MGM logo you see everywhere. That old Virgin animation was quirky and unique but now it's gone.

A few years ago a new recording was released:

https://buysoundtrax.greedbag.com/buy/blade-runner-music-from-the-moti-0/

I missed the actual CD, which I believe is now OOP.

On this, the horn soloist overdubbed herself to sound like a full horn section.

In the Ladd logo I like the way he alters and "twists" the chord about 5-10 seconds in

It's something distinctive of the Williams sound and I think he does that a lot to a subtler effect in his film scores .Most other composers just aren't good enough to do this. It almost make Williams music feel "alive"

Someone should rerecord all four Williams logos -- Universal, Amblin, Ladd and Dreamworks. I just realized I might not have heard the logo that he apparently wrote for Universal in the late 60s. Has anyone?

Not a real logo, not even sure if it was used on more than one film...

In "The Rare Breed", the Universal logo was scored with a short statement of the main theme. Can anyone confirm if this was used in any further motion picture?

Anyway, this statement of the theme, is included in the suite as recorded by Paul Bateman and the City of Prague Philharmonic on Silva Screen, back in 1999.

the best one is Amblin, because it's like a mini Williams fanfare in 15 seconds.And pretty much representative of his 80's writing as a whole

You could say what did Williams music sound like in the 80's>>>Amblin Logo

Someone should rerecord all four Williams logos -- Universal, Amblin, Ladd and Dreamworks. I just realized I might not have heard the logo that he apparently wrote for Universal in the late 60s. Has anyone?

None of these would fit an album presentation. Unless they were all recorded into one long piece called The Logo Suite.

There's an Amblin logo theme? Where can I hear that? I don't recall the Amblin logo ever having it's own music.

Yeah there is a short theme for the logo.

The three Amazing Stories sets each contained a version of the AMBLIN Logo: original, alternate and Christmas version. these should all be included in the hypothetical Logo Suite.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2015 at 10:06 AM, Thor said:

EDIT: The Ladd Company Fanfare performed by JW & The Boston Pops Orchestra (1981), can be found on this bootleg CD.

http://cdn.discogs.com/JlglwStnbdiqEYty0E1-zg3kyBU=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb()/discogs-images/R-3784778-1346094434-6182.jpeg.jpg

http://www.discogs.com/Vangelis-Blade-Runner-29th-Anniversary-Limited-Edition/release/3784778

Did JW recorded others on disc?

On 17/02/2015 at 12:16 PM, Bespin said:

Ladd Logo performed by JW & The Boston Pops Orchestra, can be found on this CD: Blade Runner - 30th Anniversary Celebration (2012, BSX Records)

Did JW recorded the others on disc?

Not that I'm aware of, no.

On 17/02/2015 at 12:16 PM, Bespin said:

The Ladd Company Fanfare performed by JW & The Boston Pops Orchestra (1981 I think), can be found on this CD: Blade Runner - 30th Anniversary Celebration (2012, BSX Records)

Did JW recorded the others on disc?

No, the version on that CD is a reconstruction by Edgar Rothermich and Stephanie O'Keefe.

No, the version on that CD is a reconstruction by Edgar Rothermich and Stephanie O'Keefe.

You are right, I picked the wrong entry.

I edited my original post.

The CD where JW & The Boston Pops performs the fanfare is only a bootleg:

http://www.discogs.com/Vangelis-Blade-Runner-29th-Anniversary-Limited-Edition/release/3784778

R-3784778-1346094557-6458.jpeg.jpg

And are we sure the bootleg has the credits right? I never heard of Williams using the Pops for that one, and always assumed it was recorded in LA.

Prior to Schindler's List the only known sessions for film Williams used the Boston Pops were the finale of the Close Encounters Special Edition and an earlier work track for "Temple of Doom".