Themes / Motifs Left off OST

Damien F

The track "Han Solo and the Princess" includes both the new theme (Han Solo), and Princess Leia's theme from Star Wars. The track title just got stuck to the theme.

Also correlates with Williams' statements that he did not write a Star Wars love theme until AOTC :)

(This is not my theory, BTW, it's Doug Adams' - but it made the Star Wars scores/themes click a little better for me)

I refer you to what John Williams himself wrote in the liners of the original 2 LP set release in 1980:

Han Solo and the Princess

The love theme associated with their developing relationship is in the tradition beloved by the romantic operatic composers of the nineteenth century. Such stylized melodies are deceptively simple but difficult for a composer to come by, and when placed in a space setting evoke a wonderful feeling of romance and adventure. The love theme is interrupted by Darth Vader who, accompanied by quiet but dissonant strings, communicates with the Galactic Emperor

Wait, are you talking about the melody heard at the beginning of this track (which is also heard at the beginning of Talk Of Podracing on the UE)?

I always thought that was Qui-Gon's theme.

You don't visit JWFan much, do you?

Where?

Wait, are you talking about the melody heard at the beginning of this track (which is also heard at the beginning of Talk Of Podracing on the UE)?

I always thought the bit when Qui-Gon was talking to Boss Nass about Jar-Jar was/would make a great theme for QG.

I always thought the bit when Qui-Gon was talking to Boss Nass about Jar-Jar was/would make a great theme for QG.

And the percussion section would call for a hot water bottle to be shook around.

The Sybok theme only appeared once on the OST for Star Trek 5 I believe, and then only as a background rhythm for some action scoring.

I think it appeared, but I am not sure which theme is really Sybok's

And the percussion section would call for a hot water bottle to be shook around.

I am talking about the French Horn melody.

The Sybok theme only appeared once on the OST for Star Trek 5 I believe, and then only as a background rhythm for some action scoring.

I think it appeared, but I am not sure which theme is really Sybok's

But I'm talking about this:

Agreed. I wish JW had more opportunities to use that theme (well, one could say he had...).

Shame the Prequels didn't have a stronger thematic core that would have progressed from one film to the next and added to the sense of continuity like in the old trilogy. Most of the places are never revisited hence no older location themes, most characters with themes die or are left by the wayside and even other older ideas are never properly revisited (Trade Federation etc.). Anakin, the main character, while having a theme in Episode I, never got a theme that would have tied all three films together. Qui-Gonn's theme is a good example of a great little tune that was basically confined to a single film and even then to few very specific scenes.

Isn't that just a subtle quote of the Star Wars main theme? JW references both Luke's theme and Imperial March in Episode I in these passing subtle variation.

Funnily enough I heard a bit in Episode III (somewhere in Lament I am thinking) that reminded me of part of the B section (that goes into the IM phrase) of Anakin's theme.

Funnily enough I heard a bit in Episode III (somewhere in Lament I am thinking) that reminded me of part of the B section (that goes into the IM phrase) of Anakin's theme.

An interesting notion. The Lament does feature Anakin's secondary string motif from Episode II in the middle section.

Is Anakin the main character? Qui-Gon is the lead in TPM, Obi-Wan is the lead in AOTC and ROTS, but Anakin is largely the "central character" but he's so unlikable, he makes these movies even more repellant that they are already.

Assess these movies more deeply and I can't work out who is the main character.

Is Anakin the main character? Qui-Gon is the lead in TPM, Obi-Wan is the lead in AOTC and ROTS, but Anakin is largely the "central character" but he's so unlikable, he makes these movies even more repellant that they are already.

Assess these movies more deeply and I can't work out who is the main character.

Well he is the central character and very annoying at that. It is like in Kingdom of Heaven where I would haved liked for Orlando Bloom's character to die and everything to focus on Liam Neeson but alas it was not going to happen.

An interesting notion. The Lament does feature Anakin's secondary string motif from Episode II in the middle section.

That actually may have been what I was reminded of.

What's the secondary string motif from Episode II?

There's a motif in several cues of RotS that's not on the OST, it sounds like a funeral march

it's in:

Revisiting Padme

Be Careful of your Friend (this motif opens the cue for reference)

News of the Attack (Padme and Anakin talking on the balcony)

It Can't Be (non OST portion)

Padme's visit (the still completely unreleased part)

Don't know what it's supposed to represent (Anakin turning to the dark side?). I don't recall it being discussed much either

In that video the motif starts at 1.10

Since it appears in a lot of places in the score it must be a significant one.Also most of the cues it appears in we only got with the last batch of files so it was really unreleased for many years

What's the secondary string motif from Episode II?

It is the Dies Irae-like progression, which is featured in Across the Stars' 3rd section in the strings and most prominently in the unreleased cue for Anakin's confession but it can be also heard e.g. in the last portion of the Tusken Camp and Homestead when Anakin carries his dead mother home. Williams then quotes it a few times in RotS, the Lament being the most prominent appearance.

In that video the motif starts at 1.10

Since it appears in a lot of places in the score it must be a significant one.Also most of the cues it appears in we only got with the last batch of files so it was really unreleased for many years

Very interesting observation KM! I'll have to check it out as soon as I am able! :)

KM, That is the same bit that I believe appears in Goodbye Old Friend, To Utupau, and Riding the Lizard.

no, that motif is not in those cues

Here are the timestamps for my motif (expanded score):

Revisiting Padme :0.35

Be Careful of your Friend 0.00

News of the Attack :1.08

It can't be 4.08

Padme's Visit :1.10

KM, That is the same bit that I believe appears in Goodbye Old Friend, To Utupau, and Riding the Lizard.

1:09 - 1:40 of Goodbye Old Friend in the strings, 0:45 of To Utupau, 0:53 - 1:00 and 1:04 - 1:09 of Riding the Lizard.

1:09 - 1:40 of Goodbye Old Friend in the strings, 0:45 of To Utupau, 0:53 - 1:00 and 1:04 - 1:09 of Riding the Lizard.

No that's not the same

I think this is an Anakin specific motif .A sad melancholic motif that means he's fated to turn to the dark side. It appears when he's with Padme discussing his baby, when talking with palpatine, seen murdering the younglings on the recordings...

I think this is an Anakin specific motif .A sad melancholic motif that means he's fated to turn to the dark side. It appears when he's with Padme discussing his baby, when talking with palpatine, seen murdering the younglings on the recordings...

Do you mean this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tSvls8RiOJk?rel=0&start=164" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No that's not the same

Sounds the same to me, it has the same rising and falling "pattern" (1st note up, 2nd note down.) just varied slightly (different keys I think)