Elegy for Cello & Orchestra

Thor

I couldn't find a previous thread on this piece.

Anyways, I just revisited it on the Yo-Yo Ma CD, and it's such a heartfelt piece with shades of SCHINDLER'S LIST.

Does anyone know whose funeral it was written for, back when it was 'elegy for cello and piano'?

Edit: Well, it's always useful to read the liner notes before I ask questions. In it, Williams says:

"A few years ago, an acquaintance of mine, a brilliant young violinst, lost her two young children in tragic circumstances. For the memorial service for little Alexandra and Daniel, a group of composer colleagues and I each contributed a small piece to mark this occasion, which was not only heart-rending but also suffused with a great deal of love".

Such a poignant piece of music which Yo-Yo Ma's performance further enhances. It is really one of the most tender pieces John Williams has ever written in my opinion. I would love to hear it live some day.

I first discovered it in the excellent 2010 Sony 3-CD set "The Music of America: John Williams", then I bought the Yo-Yo Ma CD.

I first discovered it in the excellent 2010 Sony 3-CD set "The Music of America", then I bought the Yo-Yo Ma CD.

The whole CD Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams is really worth every penny. I wish JW had also recorded a CD with Ma with some of his themes translated to cello and orchestra like the cellist did with Morricone.

I first discovered it in the excellent 2010 Sony 3-CD set "The Music of America", then I bought the Yo-Yo Ma CD.

The whole CD Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams is really worth every penny. I wish JW had also recorded a CD with Ma with some of his themes translated to cello and orchestra like the cellist did with Morricone.

I must admit I'm still in a "taming" mode with these two CDs. I should listen them more often.

I so loved the collaborations between JW and Yo-Yo Ma / Itzhak Perlman on Schindler's List, Seven Years in Tibet and Memoirs of a Gesiha, that I bought a lot of CDs of Ma and Perlman since. I have never been disappointed.

Yes, it's one of JW's most heartfelt and moving pieces ever.

The theme is actually an expansion of an idea originally found in the score for Seven Years In Tibet (the final cue, "Regaining a Son")

Yup. That's also in the liner notes. Liner notes are useful, I discovered. :)

That's weird. I got 20-something hits when I searched, but none were relevant. I will never properly understand the search engine of this place.

I like the piece but I'm not sure I fully connect with it, yet, anyway. The theme starts in a really beautiful way but sort of loses me as it continues on. Weird.

Same.

Scroll up a few posts and see how to properly use it!

The search engine works completely fine; There's user error preventing you guys from getting the results you want, not any problems with the search engine itself.

Use it properly, and it works great.

Garbage in, garbage out.

What I've forgotten to do in the past is to choose the 'only search in titles' option (the default is an annoying 'everywhere' option that is completely useless). But I seem to remember doing it right this time. Oh, well. Next time!

Back to the elegy, it's surely one of the most straightforward concert pieces Williams has written. It's not as explorative and whimsical and modern as a lot of his other work. I think maybe that's why it feels so much 'closer', in a way.

It features his best piece, so yes, you do need to listen to it.

I like the piece but I'm not sure I fully connect with it, yet, anyway. The theme starts in a really beautiful way but sort of loses me as it continues on. Weird.

Same.

I think it's the descending, "sighing" second half. It's weirdly melodramatic and doesn't seem to fit with the more chant-like, plaintive beginning.

I think it's the descending, "sighing" second half. It's weirdly melodramatic and doesn't seem to fit with the more chant-like, plaintive beginning.

It's interesting that which you say about 'sighing'. I hadn't thought about it in those terms, but you're right. That's a good way to describe it, and it seems to be a recurring feature in his string writing, in particular (a descending 'slide' down the scale -- a glissando? -- as if the harmonies are sighing).

Scroll up a few posts and see how to properly use it!

The search engine works completely fine; There's user error preventing you guys from getting the results you want, not any problems with the search engine itself.

Use it properly, and it works great.

Garbage in, garbage out.

User error? Or poor non-intuitive design?

The search engine was definitely difficult to get a hang of when I first got here, and it still is. Other forums have more accessible search engines.

Filmtracks for instance. Say what you will about his website design, or forum layout, but the search engine gets you the content you want, and fast.

I love the elegy actually, and at times it's on par with Heartwood (depending on the mood). I love the secondary phrase of the main theme, and how Williams twists and turns it. As Inky so aptly puts it, it's a very tender melody and piece.

I went to filmtracks.com, found the search box, and all the results for things I tried were for his main page articles; Not forum posts.

Same.

Yes.

I'll have to check out this performance when I get back home from work. I have never heard this piece performed as the original cello and piano duet, which was the first incarnation of the Elegy before JW orchestrated it for cello and orchestra.

I've literally never had a problem finding what I need with the search engine here. I don't understand how others can struggle with it.

Of course, I'm talking about when on a real computer. On mobile, the search is shit.

I've literally never had a problem finding what I need with the search engine here. I don't understand how others can struggle with it.

Well, looking at all the typos Stiff always makes, I'm not surprised he has never found anything using the search engine...

Then there's KK's "theornibg"...

Hey, we're not the only ones who have complained about it before. So clearly it's not as easy as you guys make it out to be.

But I rarely use it anyway, so I don't mind. Usually google searches with JWFan stuff renders more productive results ;)

:crymore:

You're being awfully mean lately!

I have noted this too. What gives BB?

Hey, we're not the only ones who have complained about it before. So clearly it's not as easy as you guys make it out to be.

Yes, it is. If you look calmly and slowly at all the option and use it properly, you should find what you're looking for.

No, I'm just being me!

I outlined in Post #15 how to use the search engine properly. I can't imagine anyone would not be able to find what they want using it while following that.

Right, when you've outlined the instructions, it makes things clear. Thanks Jay.

All I'm saying is that if your search engine needs instructions, then that says something about its immediate accessibility to newcomers and such right?

No, I'm just being me!

You've changed Alvar Brallice. You're not the same Boal as the one who first joined JWFan...

Right, when you've outlined the instructions, it makes things clear. Thanks Jay.

All I'm saying is that if your search engine needs instructions, then that says something about its immediate accessibility to newcomers and such right?

No, I'm just being me!

You've changed Alvar Brallice. You're not the same Boal as the one who first joined JWFan...

He is BloodBoal 2.0

You can't make everything instantly accessible and usable by everyone.

The only thing the search engine requires for functioning properly is a slight bit of insight.