The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I thought it was really good of MV to offer that suggestion, but isn't several hundred dollars taking it a bit far?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Everyone has different amounts of disposable income Richard.

It's also just a solid investment since I don't see a year in which I'm not buying at least several LLL releases.  Saving money for years to come!

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I can understand that. (Jay). Trust me, several hundred $$s is a lot of money.  I'm just looking at it from MV's POV.

Trust you?  WTF are you talking about Richard?

How about you just worry about yourself and not be judgmental towards others on how they choose to spend their income.  Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's also just a solid investment since I don't see a year in which I'm not buying at least several LLL releases.  Saving money for years to come!

Definitely, at $20-$30 + shipping a pop, $200 will be gone quick.

Yes, you could fleece LLL that way if you wanted to.

This is why most retailers exclude gift cards when they are doing % off sales.

I kind of want to let them know, but I don't want to be THAT GUY on FSM.  I also don't want to alert Those People to a potential loophole so they can be jerks.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

You could always email MV directly about it

I submitted it to them using an anonymous burner e-mail on their web form, and deleted my above post.  Nothing to see here.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I took the plunge.  Just bought a hefty gift certificate.  Before troxie ruins the fun.

Just can't ever lose that code....

Just post the code here as a safety measure. Or better, PM me. :sarcasm:

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I took the plunge.  Just bought a hefty gift certificate.  Before troxie ruins the fun.

Tell me the code. That way you have a backup incase you ever forget it. 

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just post the code here as a safety measure. Or better, PM me. :sarcasm:

Just now, Bilbo said:

Tell me the code. That way you have a backup incase you ever forget it. 

wiseacres...

48 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Hey, I got here first! Go back to your tablecloth thread.

The Tablecoth is displeased with your loose tongue. 

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I bought one myself. Would actually liked to have made it a larger amount. Maybe I’ll get another one next week before the sale ends. 

I guess they could follow transaction histories to find out who are being naughty, but if the terms of service or the website's mechanism doesn't have anything against it, I don't think they can do much other than watch how someone with too much free time will buy their whole catalog for an actual cost of 5 bucks or something.

I just saw their post on FSM, and that's a pretty blatant advert for buying gift certificates to use the offer.

It's just rather unusual for a business to openly advertise a way of taking a discount further - hence my comment above that it could potentially be used to get a lot more discounts than MV had envisaged. Oh well, fair enough!

If they are pushing it, it means they are welling to receive more cash on hand now (possible to fund an up and coming project) as a trade to having less income post-release down the road later in the year.   I probably worded that weird but I hope it makes sense

1 minute ago, Jay said:

If they are pushing it, it means they are welling to receive more cash on hand now (possible to fund an up and coming project) as a trade to having less income post-release down the road later in the year.   I probably worded that weird but I hope it makes sense

Liquidity!

Love that word.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Looks like the goons at FSM are getting closer to figuring out ways to exploit LLL's gift card offer.  Guess you can do it - them's the rules!

MV is the one that advertised it?

The only exploit would be buying more gift cards with the gift cards, which the site doesn't allow.

I thought it DID allow it, that's the whole point.

Maybe they disabled it thanks to Troxie's email, between yesterday and today.

I just tried to see if it would let me go through and no, you can't purchase gift certificates with gist certificates, so the system is smartguy-proof. 

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

MV is the one that advertised it?

The only exploit would be buying more gift cards with the gift cards, which the site doesn't allow.

There was also an exploit of buying sale items with sale gift certificates, doubling the sale.

i don’t really care one way or the other and I’m not getting gift cards, but it seems like they could have lost more money than they anticipated, if some purchaser were so inclined.

Well if it had been 'discovered' by someone, that would be very different to MV openly advertising it, so I take Jay's example that there may be some business logic behind it. I suppose that although they're losing margin, they'll also get an increase short term increase in orders. Maybe also a chance to monetise some older stock.

As Jay tried to say, don’t worry about it. They’re a business. I’m sure they’ll be crying over these “exploits” all the way to the bank. $200 in the bank today is in every way better than $300 in the bank tomorrow (or never).

37 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I just saw their post on FSM, and that's a pretty blatant advert for buying gift certificates to use the offer.

It's just rather unusual for a business to openly advertise a way of taking a discount further - hence my comment above that it could potentially be used to get a lot more discounts than MV had envisaged. Oh well, fair enough!

Interesting - could you post the link?

They really do need to fix the search.

it's beyond useless

image.png

It works better if you do "john williams" in quotes but it shouldn't have to.  The old site search worked great.

But then look here.  I searched "danny elfman" in quotes and it doesn't even bring up Black Beauty or Big Top Pee Wee.  Useless!

image.png

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

They really do need to fix the search.

it's beyond useless

But then look here.  I searched "danny elfman" in quotes and it doesn't even bring up Black Beauty or Big Top Pee Wee.  Useless!

I was going to say that 'elfman' would match Black Beauty because its description doesn't contain 'Danny'. But it doesn't match 'elfman' either.

Black Beauty comes up for 'Elfman's'. The engine is doing an 'equals' comparison on words in the title and description, rather than checking if what you've entered partially matches anything, i.e. 'Elfman' is part of 'Elfman's' but doesn't match exactly.

You can use '*' for a partial match.

Whatever search system they had with the old site just worked.

Obviously what they need is tagging.  So they can tag each release with things like the composer's name, the director's name, etc.

Up and running again.

We have decided to extend the sale another 24 hours because of this hiccup. It now ends July 24 at 11:59 PM pst

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=129563&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=16&r=692#bottom