• 3 weeks later...

The book the film is based on (albeit, part of the book) is a really good read; almost like a reading a novel, I'd say. I wonder if this photo will be the basis for the film's poster ?

Liam Neeson was too busy doing crummy action movies. He wouldn't take a role where he's the one getting shot.

I predict disappointing box office and similar weird reception as War Horse. Some will love, some will hate, the rest won't know how to feel and inevitably just forget! Most will attack the overbearing schmaltzy John Williams score.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else find it strange this movie is being released 13 weeks from today, and there isn't so much as a POSTER out yet, let alone a trailer?

Not at all. Spielberg likes to keep secrecy on his more personal movies as much as he can. He has expressed many times his dislike of modern marketing strategies.

A freaking POSTER would not reveal any secrets of the film. And there's gonna be one eventually, so why wait? The film is freaking 3 months away!

It is indeed odd that there is so little publicity for this film and it is but 3 months away. A poster or a proper trailer should be out by now.

I'd settle for an improper trailer!

Sounds dirty. But yeah teaser or anything related to the film would be nice.

It is great to be waiting and anticipating a new JW score again. :)

I'm hoping to hear lots of big thick-chorded chorale type writing in this score with some classic Williams dissonances and nice brass writing.

Too bad there will probably be no action writing in this score...I'm always hungering for more of that.

You don't know that...it is about a war after all.

Of course! There is hope.

Well we could always hope something like John Wilkes Booth the Assassin and the Chase Through Washington. Or the Scherzo for the Enraged President and the Orchestra.

I'm willing to bet money that John Williams will use a trumpet soloist prominently. The temptation is too strong.

I know for a fact that it features lots of trumpet soli, as well as clarinet, horn and bassoon.

It's a very calm, intimate, "hymn-like" score

Sounds good to me, something I pretty much expected but it is the sound I welcome for such a subject matter. :)

Oh, bassoon sounds like it could be interesting.

You should check out Saving Private Ryan and The Sleepers for some excellent bassoon writing from the Maestro indy4. :)

I guess it has potential to be a great score. I hope it doesn't "noodle" on like parts of Amistad and SPR did. JW mentioned how he enjoyed performing the theme to Lincoln so that's something to look forward to.

In the video clip posted awhile back, Williams mentions that the vocabulary of the music is 19th century hymn-based. I would guess that this a very different kind of hymn-type music to SPR, which is somber and melodically sparse. 19th century american hymns can be melodically-driven and very joyous, like Shaker Gifts. My guess (and my hope) is at least some of the music for Lincoln will follow that approach.

Oh, bassoon sounds like it could be interesting.

You should check out Saving Private Ryan and The Sleepers for some excellent bassoon writing from the Maestro indy4. :)

Thanks! I'm familiar with those features of SPR, but I admit I haven't yet familiarized myself with Sleepers (I do own it but I've only listened to it once or twice...it's on my "to listen" list for sure).

Hymn-based certainly means we could get some really good melodies. Like how Burwell used traditional hymns for True Grit.

I sometimes look for instrumental versions of hymns on spotify, as they make beautiful concert piece-like tracks.

disappointing to see that Tony Kushner is sole credited screenwriter...

How so?

Seeing John Williams' name in that font at the bottom of a poster is still a special thing. I love Spielberg movie poster credits.

Yes, it really is. Even more so since he started working exclusively with Spielberg. I always like seeing Kahn, Kaminski, and Kennedy too.