The John Williams Complete work (to date)

filmmusic

Nice to see a version of the tuba concerto not performed by a Norwegian soloist (don't get me wrong, I like that, but it's odd that my countrymen have recorded the most versions of this). I'll probably not be getting it, as I don't need a hundred different versions of the same concerto when I already have one I'm pleased with, but I like the initiative. Now to get the soloists to record the UNRELEASED concerti, or a clarinetist to do a new version of the clarinet concerto.

I have a number of recordings of the tuba concerto not by Norwegian musicians...

As for the unreleased works, I would say it's not just getting the musicians, but Williams releasing the music for performance.

And I still have strong doubts about the legal status of the Clarinet Concerto release.

That's cool. Are you also in charge of the JW wikipedia page? It's in need of urgent refurbishing. The Duo Concertante belongs in the chamber music category, and there is no "Concerto" category, despite the fact that it's been the musical form widely, but not exclusively, employed by JW. The nomenclature "Solo Instrument and Orchestra" is more widely accepted.

I'm actually working only on the discography article.

But feel free to update the Main wiki article, that's the goal!

___

Tuba... pffff... I prefer the organ, especially when it's Williams who plays it!

Nice to see a version of the tuba concerto not performed by a Norwegian soloist (don't get me wrong, I like that, but it's odd that my countrymen have recorded the most versions of this). I'll probably not be getting it, as I don't need a hundred different versions of the same concerto when I already have one I'm pleased with, but I like the initiative. Now to get the soloists to record the UNRELEASED concerti, or a clarinetist to do a new version of the clarinet concerto.

As for the unreleased works, I would say it's not just getting the musicians, but Williams releasing the music for performance.

And I still have strong doubts about the legal status of the Clarinet Concerto release.

True. I am very much afraid that the Clarinet Concerto has met the same fate as the Symphony, that of eternal neglect by its author.

• 1 month later...
New entry in the Compilation / Reissue section :

Empire of the Sun

La-La Land Records 2 CD-set, includes previously unreleased material.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

2014 is now behind us...

Here's a little recap of an "in-between" year mainly made of reissues...

1975 The Towering Inferno (Reissued for digital download in 2014, Rhino)

1993 Jurassic Park (Reissued in 2014 as 2LP [two different versions], Mondo)
2014 Empire of the Sun (2 CD-set, includes previously unreleased material, La-La Lands Records)

2014 The Glenn Dicterow Collection (Glenn Dicterow Violin: Glenn Dicterow; Conductor: John Williams; New York Philharmonic)

2014 Concertos, Sonatas and more... (Itzhak Perlman, some tracks Composed & Conducted by John Williams; Sony Classical, Compilation)

1962 Checkmate: Shelly Manne & His Men Play the Music of Johnny Williams from the Tv Series (Reissued in 2002, Contemporary Records; Reissued in 2014 with Bonus Tracks, Jazz Musts).

2014 On the Way: Works for Tuba (Andreas Martin Hofmeir/Münchner Philharmoniker/Andrew Manze)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography

• 1 month later...

According to my article, John Williams count 134 original studio albums in his discography, 189 when we count the compilations and reissues, not bad!

Studio albums: 134

Compilation/Reissue albums: 55

Singles: 43

Video albums: 1

Collaborations: 104 [Edit: 2015/03/04]

NOTE: By comparison, Charles Aznavour, who has an amazing discography, and probably the most impressive on the planet for a pop artist, counts 88 original studio albums, 270 when we count the compilations. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Aznavour_discography)

Video Albums?

A DVD, I don't know any other...

• 2013 Tanglewood 75th Anniversary Celebration (Keith Lockhart, John Williams, Stefan Asbury, Andris Nelsons, etc./Boston Pops, Tanglewood Music Center Orchestra, Boston Symphony Orchestra)

Does the A Musical Journey DVD shipped as an extra with Revenge of the Sith count as a video release?

I don't think we should do that, as Revenge of the Sith is already count as an album.

Well, all this reveals a cruel reality: JW's discography lacks of DVD and live albums!

Does the A Musical Journey DVD shipped as an extra with Revenge of the Sith count as a video release?

I don't think we should do that, as Revenge of the Sith is already count as an album.

Well, all this reveals a cruel reality: JW's discography lacks of DVD and live albums!

True, but there are TONS of filmed concerts out there, such as all the "Evening at Pops" programs on PBS between 1980 and 1993, for example. Let's hope some of those get released eventually. Many of them are already spinning around on Youtube or on the internet otherwise.

True, but there are TONS of filmed concerts out there, such as all the "Evening at Pops" programs on PBS between 1980 and 1993, for example. Let's hope some of those get released eventually. Many of them are already spinning around on Youtube or on the internet otherwise.

I just discovered that a DVD called "Broadway's Best at Pops" was issued in 2007.

Does it contains some JW performances?

EDIT: "Among the videos we can also see at the podium Arthur Fiedler, John Williams and Keith Lockhart conducting the orchestra." (source: http://www.grandorchestras.com/bostonpops/video/bpops_broadway_best.html)

Well, I just added the entry to the "Video Albums" section!

Three new entries in the "Collaborations and other appearances" section:

Movie Greats

Various Artists

Some tracks composed and conducted by John Williams; MCA, Compilation.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents... Signatures in Suspense
Various Artists
End Credits & End Titles (from Family Plot) by John Williams; Hip-O Records, Compilation.
Paramount Pictures' 90th Anniversary Memorable Scores
Various Artists
Some tracks composed and conducted by John Williams; Sony Classical, Compilation.

Four new compilations in the "Collaborations and other appearances" section:

Reel Blockbusters

Various Artists

Some tracks composed and conducted by John Williams; Hip-O Records, Compilation.

Varese Sarabande: A 25th Anniversary Celebration
Various Artists
Some tracks composed & conducted by John Williams; Varèse Sarabande, Compilation.
Varese Sarabande: A 25th Anniversary Celebration, Vol. 2
Various Artists
Some tracks composed & conducted by John Williams; Varèse Sarabande, Compilation.
20th Century Fox: 75 Years of Great Film Music
Various Artists
Some tracks composed and conducted by John Williams; Colosseum/Varèse Sarabande, Compilation.

• 2 weeks later...

two new entries in the "Collaborations and other appearances" section:

The Big Country

Jerome Moross

Piano: John Williams; RCA; Reissued in 1986, Silva Screen Records, Ltd.; Reissued in 1991, Screen Archives Entertainment; Reissued in 1995, Silva America; Reissued in 2007, La-La land; Reissued in 2008, MGM Records.

Keisuke Wakao plays music of John Williams

Keisuke Wakao

The Days Between...: John Williams, piano; Denon.

• 1 month later...

Updated with these two LP reissues:

Jaws [Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]

MCA Records

Featuring concert arrangements based on the film's music; Reissued in 1980 & 1992; Reissued on vinyl in 2015, Geffen.

1982 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial [Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]

MCA Records

Featuring concert arrangements based on the film's music; Reissued in 1986 & 1990, MCA Records; Reissued on vinyl in 2015, Geffen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Studio_albums

• 2 weeks later...

New wiki disco update:

Concert Works

• A Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey
    John Williams For Winds – Music for Cinema and Beyond (The United States Coast Guard Band, Captain Kenneth W. Megan) (digital streaming)
  • Fanfare for Fenway
    2012 Midwest Clinic: The United States Air Force Band Chamber Ensembles (digital download)
  • Fanfare for Fenway
    John Williams For Winds – Music for Cinema and Beyond (The United States Coast Guard Band, Captain Kenneth W. Megan) (digital streaming)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Concert_works

Selective discography of his works recorded by other artists

• 2015 Music from The Star Wars Saga, City of Prague Philharmonic (Selections from the 2012 compilation The Definitive Collection)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Selective_discography_of_his_works_recorded_by_other_artists

New wiki disco update:

Concert Works

• Call of The Champions
    Air Force Blue (Larry H. Lang/United States Air Force Band, United States Air Force Singing Sergeants)
  • Essay for Strings
    American Masters (Dirk Brosse/Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia) (digital download)
  • Summon the Heroes
    Take One (Vienna Brass Connection)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Concert_works

New wiki disco update:

Singles

Born On The Fourth Of July (Remix) –
Born On The Fourth Of July (Remix)

MCA Records

Promo

Summon The Heroes
Summon The Heroes (Radio Edit) –
Summon The Heroes (Album Version)

Sony Classical

Promo

Summon The Heroes
Summon The Heroes (Radio Edit 1) –
Summon The Heroes (Radio Edit 2)

Sony Classical

Promo

Collaborations, etc.

Reel Music (Soundtrack Sampler From MCA)

Various Artists

"Born on the Fourth of July" (remix) track composed & conducted by John Williams; MCA, 2 CD Promo Compilation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography

• 2 weeks later...