So what are the upcoming Williams scores?

MSM

Williams is also signed on score Episode VIII and IX. Spielberg has a lot of projects as a producer, but none as a director so far. So, who knows if Williams will be involved with any of those. But it seems Williams will work on a project without Spielberg if he's truly interested such as "The Book Thief."

I'm guessing Willliams has his hands full with the new STAR WARS movie (and maybe subsequent sequels after that). Still, I would love a new BOOK THIEF surprise this year, and I'm also a bit worried that there are no new projects on Spielberg's plate at the moment. Even when he took his last big break (after 1993's two mammoth hits), there were still projects on the horizon that did or didn't come into fruition.

Plus this 82 year old man is still doing concerts and writing concert works, fanfares and other pieces left and right all the time. I am amazed he still has time to score films. ;)

I know William's has announced his involvement with Star Wars but honestly, they're already filming Jurassic World and from my understanding, Williams didn't do JP3 because of a conflict with the scoring of A.I. (I don't remember if JP3's schedule got pushed back at all due to the changes in the script but I wonder if that changed the scoring sessions at all which would have made Williams ultimately available but oh well).

I know he's not known for returning to a series after he's left so I don't hold out hope for him to return, but I would ABSOLUTELY love it if he did. Star Wars hasn't even begun filming yet so I'd really think Jurassic World would be something he could do before Star Wars.

He seems very selective these days. Since 2005 he's only scored 2 non-Spielberg/Lucas projects: Memoirs of a Geisha and The Book Thief. In both of those cases he had read the novels, and seemed to have a deeper emotional attachment to those works, and wanted to become available for both projects; becoming more pro-active in seeking them out.

I'm still holding out for Jurassic World. He should have time for it in his schedule given that there's nearly half a year between it and Star Wars. The real question is if he wants to return and the answer is probably no, unfortunately.

Supposedly, Spielberg is the executive producer, so Williams may be considered when it comes to selecting a composer. Then again, Spielberg served as an executive producer for Jurassic Park III and we got no score from Williams. Anyone know why Williams didn't do Jurassic Park III?

He helped Davis with some orchestration, that's close enough.

He seems very selective these days. Since 2005 he's only scored 2 non-Spielberg/Lucas projects: Memoirs of a Geisha and The Book Thief. In both of those cases he had read the novels, and seemed to have a deeper emotional attachment to those works, and wanted to become available for both projects; becoming more pro-active in seeking them out.

I thought a recent interview revealed that Williams had not read the book prior to taking the assignment?

I'm still holding out for Jurassic World. He should have time for it in his schedule given that there's nearly half a year between it and Star Wars. The real question is if he wants to return and the answer is probably no, unfortunately.

Supposedly, Spielberg is the executive producer, so Williams may be considered when it comes to selecting a composer. Then again, Spielberg served as an executive producer for Jurassic Park III and we got no score from Williams. Anyone know why Williams didn't do Jurassic Park III?

He helped Davis with some orchestration, that's close enough.

Williams gave access to the manuscripts of the two previous scores to Davis and recommended him to the film makers if I remember correctly. I don't think helped in any direct way though.

I thought a recent interview revealed that Williams had not read the book prior to taking the assignment?

Yeah I actually seem to remember this as well, heard right from the composer's own mouth in some recent interview. But in some previous interviews/reports it read that he had read the book. I wonder which is the truth.

I was basing this off of what I remember from the time the film came out. Not doubt that could be wrong. Regardless, it's hard to argue that Williams hasn't been more judicious with his choices over the last 9 years. Jurassic World doesn't seem to fit into that scheme. I honestly don't have a strong desire to see him revisit that film world, but I'll take what I can get. Anything he does from here on out is gravy.

I don't know about 'Book Thief' but I'm pretty certain William's read Memoirs before he scored that film. If I recall, he gave the book to YoYo Ma (which I think was spoken about in the iTunes exclusive concert he and Williams did) and got him interested in doing the project.

I think Spielberg was suppose to direct it originally but when he fell away as director, Williams' approached the new director, Rob Marshall, saying he wanted to do it and have YoYo Ma and Itzak Pearlman (which he says on the DVD/Blu Ray interview). Rob Marshall not being out of his mind said "yes, please!"

As for 'The Book Thief,' I don't know.

With JP3, he did make the original film music available to Don Davis who speaks of utilizing parts of JP1's score such as "The Entrance to the Park" motif as a source for the 'Mercenary Motif.' I can say they had the original sheet music because they actually performed the End Credits Pt II version so literally that he duplicated a transcription error that apparently never got corrected. This error was played by the Trombones but when the Horns came in, they didn't play it as written--which as a performer and knowing it's mostly the same brass players from the first two films--I can imagine their thought process "wtf? that's NOT the right note! We'll play it right!--and they did it CORRECTLY. So IF Williams had been more involved, that little error may not have snuck in.

Williams definitely read Memoirs of a Geisha prior to scoring the film as reading the novel led him to request that he would be allowed to compose the music for it. And he did think of cello for Sayuri quite early on and sent Yo-Yo Ma the novel to read.

But I am not sure about The Book Thief situation.

Yeah I actually seem to remember this as well, heard right from the composer's own mouth in some recent interview. But in some previous interviews/reports it read that he had read the book. I wonder which is the truth.

What interview was this? The only ones I saw stated pretty outright that he had read the book prior to scoring the film.

Yeah that's the one. You beat me by a second Jay! :)

Williams mentions in the interview that he read the book after seeing the film, which I also take as after scoring the film.

Weird! Yeah, these interviews:

http://variety.com/gallery/eye-on-the-oscars-composers-sound-off/#!3/john-williams/

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=6280

both indicate that he read the book before getting involved at all.

I think he's talking about the script in the variety one (can't watch the video right now).

I believe as well Williams refers to the script.

As for Geisha, Williams read the book back in '99 when it first came out. As the story goes, he got two extra copies, one for Spielberg, who shortly after bought the film rights and the other to Ma, with a note saying he hoped Ma could be the voice of Sayuri if they ever did the film and he got to score it.

Well, here's some timely news. Another prospective project for Spielberg.

http://collider.com/steven-spielberg-kidnapping-of-edgardo-mortara-robopocalypse/

the story concerns an Italian Jew who, in 1858, was forcibly removed from his parents at the age of six by authorities of the Papal States and raised as a Catholic. He later became a priest in the Augustinian order, but the ordeal set off an international controversy.

Oh, this would be a great project for Williams, away from the Star Wars scores (that are plenty already).

I see a Monsignor + Schindler's List in there..

Well, here's some timely news. Another prospective project for Spielberg.

http://collider.com/steven-spielberg-kidnapping-of-edgardo-mortara-robopocalypse/

the story concerns an Italian Jew who, in 1858, was forcibly removed from his parents at the age of six by authorities of the Papal States and raised as a Catholic. He later became a priest in the Augustinian order, but the ordeal set off an international controversy.

Oh, this would be a great project for Williams, away from the Star Wars scores (that are plenty already).

I see a Monsignor + Schindler's List in there..

You can never have enough Star Wars from Williams.

All three of these sound good for JW. Just pick one Steven!

I wonder what the release dates for these would be? If Williams is involved, I hope it doesn't interrupt Episode VII.

On a somewhat related note, would a John Williams/Seth MacFarlane ever be possible? MacFarlane himself would be open to the idea but the cost of getting Williams is probably too high unfortunately.

On a somewhat related note, would a John Williams/Seth MacFarlane ever be possible? MacFarlane himself would be open to the idea but the cost of getting Williams is probably too high unfortunately.

MacFarlane is the richest man in TV, so I'm not so sure that it's entirely out of the question.

Spielberg is now attached to a Cold War thriller starring Tom Hanks: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/tom-hanks-teams-with-steven-spielberg-for-cold-war-thriller-1201160086/

Probably will call for a Munich-esque score. Also, when is Spielberg actually going to direct one of these things?

Actually...

Spielberg is now attached to a Cold War thriller starring Tom Hanks: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/tom-hanks-teams-with-steven-spielberg-for-cold-war-thriller-1201160086/

Probably will call for a Munich-esque score. Also, when is Spielberg actually going to direct one of these things?

Looks like Spielberg wants this one to be next for a 2015 release, followed by The BFG: http://www.thewrap.com/steven-spielberg-attached-direct-bfg-tom-hanks-cold-war-thriller-will-next-exclusive/

No word on Robopocalypse or Moctezuma, but the article says they're "on the back-burner."

I remember Spielberg saying -- most recently in the TCM Q&A thing -- that he wanted to keep making movies if only to let Williams compose as much music as possible. Well, this seems to have gotten into a rut recently.

Actually...

Looks like Spielberg wants this one to be next for a 2015 release, followed by The BFG: http://www.thewrap.com/steven-spielberg-attached-direct-bfg-tom-hanks-cold-war-thriller-will-next-exclusive/

No word on Robopocalypse or Moctezuma, but the article says they're "on the back-burner."

According to Variety, "The BFG" is planned for a 2016 release. So far, Spielberg is set to direct the cold war thriller and "The BFG" with releases in the next couple of years. I'm looking forward to "The BFG" if Williams scoring it. After reading what the story is about, I can't help but think the score would be similar to "Hook."

I remember Spielberg saying -- most recently in the TCM Q&A thing -- that he wanted to keep making movies if only to let Williams compose as much music as possible. Well, this seems to have gotten into a rut recently.

I suspect that he's very ambivalent about the kinds of films Hollywood wants to finance these days. Spielberg was very public about his frustration regarding the difficulties of getting Lincoln financed. Coupled with his recent statement that he's bored with action filmmaking, it's not hard to imagine that he's struggling to find something that can get simultaneously get financial support and capture his interest.

I wish his Moses film had gotten off the ground. Instead, we'll have to suffer through Ridley Scott's version.

This is getting out of control. Just pick something already!

Spielberg is rudderless. Maybe he should pursue a music career instead, like David Lynch.

BFG would be very interesting. I was a big fan of the book when I was a kid.

Not sure Hook is the right approach - the menace always felt more down to earth to me, compared to the obviously fantastical nature of Peter Pan.

I'm looking forward to "The BFG" if Williams scoring it. After reading what the story is about, I can't help but think the score would be similar to "Hook."

I've seen the animated film. It was quite good.

The score could be something between E.T. and Hook.

All of you are mentioning Hook this, E.T. that, Munich-esque, and I'm just sitting here wishing Williams would do something new. I already have all those scores.

well, it can't be something entirely new..

Williams has a style, and if it's a fantasy film, I'm guessing the music would be along that style..

I guess you're not so happy about Star Wars VII either?

Because we have already 6 of them.

Most of Williams "different" scores end up dust collectors

I'd rather he scores everything in his typical way. I'd be happy if he returned to score only action/fantasy,sci-fi blockbusters

Stuff like Book Thief will never be remembered as a classic Williams score

Stuff like Book Thief will never be remembered as a classic Williams score

A small score, doesn't mean is not classic because it's small. It's due to other reasons..

He could do a classic score, without it being for a sci-fi, action blockbuster.

Williams was probably told to "tone it down" for Tintin. That's why it's probably not as good as it could have been and lacks the Tintin Fanfare

All of you are mentioning Hook this, E.T. that, Munich-esque, and I'm just sitting here wishing Williams would do something new. I already have all those scores.

I was referring to the overall style of Hook as an example of the type of score I would expect. Would you rather Williams create a Zimmer type score? That would be new and different for Williams.