Empire of the Sun coming to Blu-ray June 19th

TownerFan

Well, it's a brilliant film. But it's not a great film; like Raiders.

Not that any comparisons between the two are in any way relevant.

It's not great like "ROTLA", but it is great, nonetheless. It's one of the most perfect Spielberg films ever, and it would interesting to speculate what Daivd Lean would have done with it.

What? A Spielberg war film is hardly a rare thing...

It's about as much of a war film as "1941" is! :lol:

I've seen precious little "war films", or "science fiction films", or "westerns". Most films are not about what you see on screen.

Like Jeremy Davies said in "Solaris":

"I could tell you what's going on, but that wouldn't tell you what's gonig on".

• 2 months later...

Empire of the Sun has been delayed. The release date is now unknown.

Who or what is responsible for the delay?

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Warner_Brothers/Empire_of_the_Sun_25th_Anniversary_Edition_Blu-ray_Postponed/9621

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Did someone already buy Empire Of The Sun?

transparent.giftransparent.gif7095_2_large.jpg

Blu-ray.com: "After being subjected to a number of delays earlier this year, I wasn't sure what to expect from Empire of the Sun's Blu-ray debut. I'm pleased to report, though, that I was completely taken with Warner Bros.' faithful, utterly filmic 1080p/AVC-encoded video transfer; a striking, near-perfect catalog presentation with nothing in the way of distractions. If any complaint can be leveled against the image it's that black levels are sometimes muted, with dusty charcoal tones dominating the darkness. But boosting contrast to compensate would have hampered Allen Daviau's cinematography and the dreamlike atmosphere Spielberg often evokes. By staying true to the source, crush isn't a factor, delineation is revealing and shadows still exhibit satisfying depth and darkness. Colors aren't overbearing either. Daviau's palette is subdued but natural, skintones are beautifully saturated and exceptionally lifelike, primaries pop when called upon, and contrast is consistent throughout. Detail is also excellent, with crisp, clean edges, nicely resolved fine textures and a faint veneer of pleasant grain. Significant artifacting, ringing, banding, aliasing and errant noise aren't at play, and there aren't any troubling anomalies of note. In short, Empire of the Sun stands as one of Warner's best catalog presentations of the year."

Sounds good!

• 1 month later...

So is Empire Of The Sun of the same remaster quality? It's a Spielberg movie, it has a great Williams score and yet, nobody seems to talk about the Blu-ray of this film. It's always Raiders or LOTR here at JWfan. Strange, if there's a place where each of the Spielberg/Williams films deserve a separate thread, it's JWfan. I find myself at the source but still I have to go elsewhere to find some basic information.

I know he can't stand behind CE3K anymore. He thought he was very naive at the time. I don't think he said that about any of his other films.

Other than that, I don't think Spielberg thinks less of EOTS because it wasn't a huge commercial success. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the bonus section of the Blu-ray would reveal that it's actually one of his personal favorites. ;) Who will tell? I will let you know as soon as it's available.

Spielberg is sort of dismissive of Temple Of Doom also.

I do like that the Berg is still rather restraint when it comes to talking about his films. In a era were most film makers happily tell everything about their films, what they mean, how they are made. He still prefers to let the films speak for themselves.

I know he can't stand behind CE3K anymore. He thought he was very naive at the time. I don't think he said that about any of his other films.

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. I don't remember him ever saying he can't "stand behind" CE3K, or even disparage it (though I could be wrong about this and perhaps you've seen a quote that I have not).

I do remember him saying something about being naive at the time (which you'd expect a filmmaker looking back on his early work to do), but I believe that was in the context of Roy Neary choosing to fly way with ET at the end...i.e. Spielberg said the younger version of himself would have done that, but the older one would have stayed with his family.

In any event, I've always gotten the impression he's quite fond of CE3K, even if he doesn't consider it among his best work.

Empire of the Sun is a superior looking film to Jaws, but then again their styles couldn't be more different and I've always preferred 'domestic' Spielberg in that regard anyway. Jaws is a very earthy looking film, modestly shot.

I need to get Empire of the Sun on Blu next and show it to my girlfriend (who hasn't seen it). Is the print done properly?

Indeed, Nick66, but I think it goes somewhat further than that. It would only be logical if Steven has a problem with the main character itself, and not just with the last decision he had to make. Yes, it was Spielberg's alter ego, a young man, obsessed and going for his goals, but Roy Leary was a father of a family as well and nowhere in the film does he seem to care about them. In fact, based on his non-caring behavior, it was only perfectly natural that he went on board the mothership. Today Spielberg sees the film from a more mature perspective and that's why he would never write that character in the same naive way he did back then. He made C3EK 20 years too soon.

Is there no new info on this on the Blu-ray?

Alex

The difference lies in the expansion (explaining it's not based on one decision but on the character itself) and thus it's not "exactly" the same.

In any case, why do you go through the trouble of grabbing your phone and post this? It only diverts us from the topic (again).

Alex

The difference lies in the expansion (explaining it's not based on one decision but on the character itself) and thus it's not "exactly" the same.

Which we know. Anyone who's seen Spielberg talk about the film knows.

Maybe, maybe not. I think you have other motivations for making these kind of posts.

Also, it's not the first time that we would talk about something and that the whole world already knows.

In any case, why do you go through the trouble of grabbing your phone and post this? It only diverts us from the topic (again).

Eh? God's sake Alex take the pole out of your arse and relax for once in life! You're so touchy you make Jimmy Saville look positively armless.

I'm very relaxed. I just don't understand why you need to make these kind of posts. And you are doing it again: "For once in your life"? What's up with that? What are you trying to do?

Maybe, maybe not. I think you have other motivations for making these kind of posts.

There is no maybe about it. It's on the dvd and in print. Why are you being difficult? What's the point?

It's because it's just who you are.

I think you're acutely paranoid; I don't have "motivations" where you're concerned. That suggests I wouldn't be direct with you - which is your style, not mine. Just give it a rest, it's boring now.

Back on topic...

Anyone know if the already available Empire of the Sun blu is worth having?

Sure, and now I'm "paranoid" and it gets "boring". Who started it?!

Frankly, I think I know what your motivations are. You are being overprotective when it comes to certain movies and that's why you are killing a perfectly civilized and good conversation. Of course, as always, you will deny it. Sorry, I think it's just crude to say to someone: Stop talking because the whole world already knows what you are saying. You have nothing interesting to say.

When you are writing (you were certainly implying it) something like this, it's meant to hurt on a personal level. You love to make these kind of interventions. Two days ago you did something similar in a thread about Prometheus.

In any case, Neary made the right call. Those kids were bratty and his wife was a shrew.

Perhaps Neary's punishment is that they love Goofy Golf on ET's planet. Or at the very least, the inflight movie on the Mothership was Ten Commandments.

True! It would've been super corny and if Leary said, I love to go with you on a journey through space and time but I love my family too much. I'm staying!

So, is that when Steven Spielberg became a different director and when they deemed him too sentimental? When he became a father? Is it better for artists not to start a mundane life with wife, children and a dog?

Remember Yoko Ono! Or Linda! Suddenly they became soft and sentimental.

Alex

Where in this discussion am I disproportionately or overly protective of a movie? Show me.

The truth of the matter is, Alex, that it's you who simply can't bear it when others express enthusiasm and delight (particularly if visuals are involved) toward a movie which isn't your precious fucking Alien blu-ray. Do you sleep with it under your pillow? You demonstrated it just a moment ago funnily enough when a couple of the guys were speaking enthusiastically about Jaws (and how good it looks). You had to restore the balance - because you convince yourself that Alien's blessed supremacy is being threatened - by way of making a little "joke" about the special effects; which is really just your sad little indirect way of having a dig - make yourself more able to handle the gushing praise for a movie you you don't happen to love. The best thing about it is it's YOU who thinks nobody really knows about YOUR "motivations": when the reality is we all know only too well - you're that obvious. And yet the sadness persists...

Alex, I think your insecurities cloud your judgement of others at delusional level, I'm completely serious about that. It's chronic. You actually invent scenarios and convince yourself that they are reality, but that's your problem, not mine. Get away from me.

Please.

*Sorry guys*

The overprotectiveness is in your needless and crude 'interventions', Lee. There was nothing wrong with the conversation untill you showed up. And reading your last post, I was right about why you posted the things you did. You have a problem with me (and even with my enthusiasm for my favorite movies!) and it's becoming a fixation. My opinion bothers you. Since you only feel the need to boycott everything I say (instead of participating in the subject itself), I think it's best that you ignore my posts in the future. Isn't there some kind of option to do that? It will make your life much easier.

Alex

I think me and the old Morlockster were more focussed on talking about the movies themselves, Steef. No, these quarrels between me and the Leester have been going on for years and years now.

As usual Alex bandies about accusations and generalisations without providing examples, par for the course. Takes issue and comes over all "attacked" when someone simply intends to point out the facts (your know, to clear up any misunderstandings or incorrections) by way of drawing attention to well documented evidence, par for the course, arf arf...

He's such the victim in all of this. Aww xx

Hang on - is that the Alien blu-ray in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? LOL

As usual Alex bandies about accusations and generalisations without providing examples, par for the course.

Hang on - is that the Alien blu-ray in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? LOL

You just gave another example yourself.

What's sad is, because of me you start hating Alien or other movies that I like. Don't let it come that far, Lee. It's only my opinion. If the message board has an ignore button, I advise you to use it.

In fact, I didn't even express my opinion on CE3K. I just said Spielberg sees himself as young and naive when he made that movie, which is true.

Unless it's relevant, there's absolutely no need to drag Alien or my love for my favorite movies into the conversation,

I think me and the old Morlockster were more focussed on talking about the movies themselves, Steef. No, these quarrels between me and the Leester have been going on for years and years now.

You're right, I remember being naive back in the day and attempting to chat with you on level terms about movies, but I quickly wised up and realised it's a complete waste of time, sadly. Most of us here know that, after all these years. If it's not me you're locking movie horns with, it's Joey. If it's not him, it's Koray. If it's not him it's Chaac. Seen Mark O cut you short many a time. Who else? But of course it's all their doing, it's never anything you've said or done. You're the victim there, after all.

And the Morlock stuff? Rose tinted glasses. You and him were always going at it. Legendary stuff!

What's sad is, because of me you start hating Alien or other movies that I like. Don't let it come that far, Lee.

See, that's what I'm talking about - you invent scenarios based on your own assumptions. I'll never stop watching brilliant movies such as Alien, or Blade Runner just because you happen to love them. That's got to be the most ridiculous thing you've said all day. Puuuuuleeeese.

It's alright Jason, it's over. If Alex wants to add anything I'm fine with it, but I'll bow out.

Ah, I certainly hope so, Lee. So the next time when I say something, don't let it come to your heart so much. It's only an opinion from one person.

Opinions are great, I love them and they remind me of arseholes because everyone has got one. They all make the world of the internet rotate on its axis. It's only when opinions are peddled as fact and become misinformation that little interweb tsunamis and earthquakes are caused, so in the future try to bear that in mind and we'll be fine.