BloodBoal

I know. I've actually been considering watching the films. A friend of mine is a Trekkie and has been pressuring me for sometime, so I thought might as well give in at some point...

Well, not a bad review. But you totally missed the ending, where Kirk, overcome with grief over the fact that Starfleet will force him to part with his beloved ship decided to take metters into his own hands and have Chekov fly her into the nearest star!

USS_Enterprise-A_leaves_Khitomer.jpg

Now that Alvar has posted his review I can post the short introspective i wrote after seeing the film (the theatrical edition) a few days ago.

Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country.

Star Trek: TMP was a very ambitious film dealing with a search for a creator, a "God" in some way, and was supposed to be a film with deep philosophical meaning and subtexts. However the film, though making money wasn't very well received and it was decided that the next film would be smaller scaled. Both in terms of story and production. For this film they hired writer/director Nicholas Meyer.

History repeated itself after the fifth film was a very ambitious story dealing with a search for a creator, a "God" in some way. And in this case the ambitions of the film makers exceeded their budget, and their ability to tell such a story. To save the Star Trek movie franchise once more, and to ensure that the last film of the classic Trek crew wasnt an embarresing failure Paranount once again secured the services of Meyer.

This was done for very practical reasons. First of all he directed and write TWOK, at that time, and still today regarded as the best Star trek film. He also co-wrote Star trek IV. At that time the most profitable. Paramount initially wanted Nimoy, but he refused because that would create a delicate issue with Shatner. So Meyer was the logical choice.

Star Trek 6 has a lot of parallels with TWOK as Meyer returns to some of the aspects that he introduced in that film. The passage of time. In Trek V Kirk wears jeans and a T-Shirt with Go Climb A Mountain on it. Trying to appear young and dashing and heroic (very clearly how Shatner saw himself or still wanted to be seen) In this film Kirk is close to retirement, Once again more formal, feeling age creeping as history is changing and he feels the values he always took for granted slipping away.

Roddenberry objected to some of the scenes that portrayed Kirk as bigoted, but they are part of the reason the film works. Kirk's son was killed by Klingons. He has fought them all his life. And for the Federation to start peace talks with these animals? The scene in the conference room between Kirk and Spock is excellent for that reason. (It wasn't till the DVD that I actually noticed they weren't alone, and an unnamed figure in a Starfleet uniform was also there....Valeris?)

Kim Catrell plays Valaris, which is essentially Saavik, and was written as such initially, but her name was changed for various reasons (Roddenberry objecting to the popular character being a traitor for instance). The way Meyer wrote and directed the chaarcter is very much the same as Saavik though, even the introduction. Of the 3 actresses who played this character, Kim Catrell is by far the best, IMO. She's the most convincing as a Vulcan, without ever resorting to the blank stare and monotone voice approach of Robin Curtis. That she eventually turns out to be a traitor isnt perhaps a huge surprise. Roger Eberts law of the economy of characters teaches us that it must be so. (it would have been more unexpected if she was Saavik). Nevertheless it's an effective way to take the character. Because it's something unusual for Vulcans, and it also brings out an interesting response in Spock's part. I love the barely restrained anger as Spock confronts and hits the phaser out of her hand. (again, if this had been Saavik, a character he had mated with....)

Unlike the highly illogical and preposterous script of Trek V this films returns to far more solid ground. From a story point of few this all makes a lot more sense. Its a very interesting allegorical tale, using the end of the Cold War as a reference point for a story about the end of hostilities between the Klingons and the Federation, a fact long established in The Next Generation.

One of the things Meyer brought to Star Trek is a sense of history. It maybe the 23th Century, but there still is an air of the past in his vision of the future. Kirk has a framed black and white photo of his son. The Enterprise has a galley, rather than replicators. And like TWOK this film sisnt afriad to quote the great works. Meyer actually wrote a Sherlock Holmes novel and has fun here positioning Spock as Sherlock. There are many references, both in Klingon and English to Shakespeare and the script is full of little historical references (There's an old Vulcan proverb, only Nixon could go to China)

TWOK gave the Trek movies their greatest villian. And with this once we finally get the first worthy Klingon baddie for Kirk. Christopher Loyd as Kruge was a bit over the top. Captain Klaa from V was a complete moron. General Chang is far more interesting. An old soldier, like Kirk. Not a grunting brute, but a very intelligent man with a great tactical mind and who likes a speech or two. Christopher Plummer and Shatner have fun playing of each other.

The other Klingon of significance is Gorkon, played by David Warner, appearing for the second time in two films. This time he actually has something to do.

Shatner, btw, is far more restrained here then he was in the film he directed himself. Showing that Meyer's trick of doing take after take till Shatner got bored with overacted and performed normally worked.

He spends much of the film with Kelley, in his final film and final performance as Bones. Once again the two work very well together. (the scene where Kirk is being kissed and Bones gives him a tired look is priceless)

Nimoy makes quite a good Sherlock. I like the way he remains calm throughout the film and uses logic to determine a course of action. I also like how he feels betrayed by Valaris. The mind meld between them in some ways constitutes a violation.

The film tones down the "silly" humour from the previous film a tad, but is certainly not without it, Specifically the scene where Uhura and other crew members are frantically working their way through dictionaries.

Another huge improvement over the previous film are in the special effects. ILM returns and I believe this is the first film since TWOK that doesnt reuse any footage from previous films. Effects wise the film never looks anything less than competent. It doesnt offer a lot in the way of special effects eye candy. But even 23 years later it still looks solid.

The film takes advantage of the morphing technology from Terminator 2. It's also the first film to use the "Praxis shockwave" effect. Something taht would be used again in Stargate and the Star Wars SE's. (any film with Star in it). Also the idea of the Klingon blood in zero G is quite novel. Though the pink blood never really worked for me. (also, in the larger canon, Klingons always have red blood)

The set design is also solid. Especially considering this was quite a low budget production. Mane sets from TNG were recycled and there was only one day of location shooting. For Rura Penthe. (funny thats it's called a penal asteroid, but appears to have an atmosphere and oxygen....)

Filmed in Super 35 the film also looks good. Even in the days of VHS this was a particularly sharp looking film.

Like TWOK they didnt really have the money for a "name" composer, so a rookie was employed. Cliff Eidelman was asked to be "inspired" by The Planets, but delivers quite a good score in its own right. Overtly dark and brooding, with a main title scene for once not featuring a glorious fanfare, but a pulsating cacophony of doom!

The score lacks the thematic beauty of Horners work, though the themes are very solid. Some interesting use of exotic percussion too. Also, for the first time in a film featuring Klingons so heavily it doesn't have what you would label as a Klingon Theme. It does have a Vulcan theme of sorts, playing during a private moment between Spock and Saav...eeehh Valaris. Quite reminiscent of Horners.

The strongest cues appear near the end. The Battle For Peace is a strong actioner, and the film, and indeed the classic Trek films are given a triumphant farewell. I adore Eidelman's signing off and End Credits cues. That music, combined with the quite wistful final scenes of the classic crew together, followed by the admittedly cheesy, but nevertheless very moving signatures of the cast never fails to bring a tear to my eye. Still after all these years (I once viewed this movie in a cinema filled with Trekkies and the end credits was a delight)

Unlike last time Meyer didnt exactly save Star Trek, TNG was a big hit at the time so it's reputation no longer depended on the films. But he did give this old crew a send-off they deserved....and allowed them to gracefully make way for a new generation to go where no man...no one, has gone before!

Thank you Nicholas...thank you!

It definitely was a good film and a good way to end the run for the original series.

Christopher Plummer and David Warner were really good as Klingons, especially Warner.

IMHO, one of the only problems with this film is the lack of any WOW shot of the Enterprise.

That is true. With the first few films they tenden to show off the Enterprise. but after the third it's really been treated as a mode of transportation more then anything. Though for me the lack of WOW factor is a far bigger problem with Star Trek Generations then with this film.

Btw. I always found it interesting that Meyer chose to have a digital clock visible above the viewscreen. And every time I watch the film I try and pay attention and time wise it seems to run pretty accuratly. You would expect having a large clock on set would lead to huge continuity errors between shots, but they actually seem to get away with it.

I didn't notice that! Nice! That's most likely her, since later in the film, she mentions the fact that Kirk said "Let them die!" (and i was wondering how she knew that!)

you can actually see it in the shot you posted.

gkegTw5.png

Btw, for those who have always thought Valeris was actually quite hot. The actress Kim Catrall is in the 1992 film Split Second where she has a...ummm..shower scene.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this scene was shot at around the same time as Star Trek 6, because she sports pretty much the same haircut (with the distinctive shaven sideburns) as she does as Valeris.

Just a small tip ;)

hqdefault.jpg

Doesn't look like Valeris to me (even though, yeah, it's hard to tell!).

I'm sure it was meant to be her, but I doubt they actually used Kim Catrall for that scene.

Kim - "What's my motivation for this scene, Nicholas, how should I emote?"

Meyer- "I want you to stand there for minutes, in the dark and conjur up feelings of opportunity, betrayal and a uncertainty about where your loyalties lie, but you have to keep it all inside"

The photo shoot story is well known. But I've always had my doubts about it.

Almost looks like a oriental male.

It was Sulu! We all know now how much Takei hated Shatner!

Btw, the person in the background was impossible to see before this film was released on DVD. I actually went back and checked the VHS copy I had. You cant see anyone because its too dark

The scene where the Starfleet commanders present their plan to rescue Kirk and McCoy to the president was interesting. It makes the whole situation a bit more ambiguous: did they really want to save Kirk and McCoy, or did they plan to actually pretend this was an operation to save them, when in fact they intended to kill them? If they did intend to save them, then doesn’t that mean that the conspirators did not all agree about what to do with Kirk and McCoy? Chang clearly wants them dead, yet he’s working with colonel Cartwright and co who wanted to save Kirk and McCoy. This scene is also an opportunity to show the conspirators a bit more (in the theatrical cut, the Romulan ambassador has only one line!).

Good point. Though this scene does create issues if you judge it against the larger framework of the franchise.

While it's plausible that the Romulan Ambaddesor might be called upon to attend a meeting to discuss the assassination of the Klingon Chancelor, it is completely impossible that Starfleet would discuss a rescue operation in front of him. Throughout the entire Trek history the Federation and the Romulan empire have been in state of (cold) war.

Interestingly the films barely ever feature the Romulans. Trek 6 gives us the first and only proper pointed eared looking Romulan.

Well, not a bad review. But you totally missed the ending, where Kirk, overcome with grief over the fact that Starfleet will force him to part with his beloved ship decided to take metters into his own hands and have Chekov fly her into the nearest star!

USS_Enterprise-A_leaves_Khitomer.jpg

This got a LOL outta me. Well done! And I share your reaction to the sign off at the end. It chokes me up, every single time.

Ya the Romulans were one race I wish had A LOT more screen time, not only in the TOS films but in TNG (tv).

That's one of the many unfortunate aspects of Nemesis. By the time the Romulans get a big screen appearance (other than the few at Amargosa in Generations), they're pushed aside in favor of a newly invented race with a cute back story.

Up to that point the only ST movie i could accept as good movie (TWOK and the whale movie i hadn't seen yet). Side note: in both cases writer/director Meyer was burdened with a cut budget and couldn't afford Goldsmith whom he initially wanted, and while both Horner and Eidelman were inspired choices it's the one thing we should all mourn - that JG couldn't handle the whole franchise all by himself. I'm sure it would have been a marvellous musical journey up to NEMESIS.

If he did all of them, we would've missed out on Horner's masterpieces. To me, TWOK and TSFS are his finest achievements.

Horner would have done fine without ST - and WRATH OF KHAN (and to a lesser extent TSFS) came in Goldsmith's banner years so i expect both would have eclipsed Horner, fine as these are.