James Newton Howards Violin Concerto

karelm

James Ehnes is a brilliant soloist and a true superstar (coincidentally, he's gonna perform Williams' Violin Concerto next year in Philadelphia).

Always great to see film composers testing new grounds in the concert hall arena. Didn't Elfman also recently announce he's gonna write a violin concerto?

Cool! I Would Plant A Tree was lovely.

Do you know where I can hear that?

The only thing close to a 'concert work' by JNH I've heard is the GRAND CANYON fanfare -- but that is film music, strictly speaking.

From what I understand there's a broadcast rip and an actual proper recording. Confused as to which one you have.

If you're just talking about it not being available commercially, it's a shame but whatever.

The only thing close to a 'concert work' by JNH I've heard is the GRAND CANYON fanfare -- but that is film music, strictly speaking.

James Newton Howard was one of the composers commissioned to write a short piece for solo violin and piano for Hilary Hahn's recent In 27 Pieces project. It is entitled 133...At Least and you can hear it in the clip below. Hilary Hahn is on violin with Cory Smythe on piano. I wonder if this or his score for The Village give any clues about what to expect from his violin concerto?

Thanks for the link, that was very beautiful and finely crafted. It is an excellent mockup.

Sounds great. Wish we had an orchestral recording though.

When I interviewed JNH a couple of years ago, I asked about his interest in doing more non-film work, and he answered in the affirmative once his schedule was cleared a bit. I guess these new things are a sign thereof.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, that was very beautiful and finely crafted. It is an excellent mockup.

That Mock-up is my video from my channel. Glad people found it. A friend of mine sent me the mock-up and I made a rough vid with pics of JNH and stuck it up on youtube.

Good news though folks (if you haven't already heard), a CD will be released of both his Concerto and his I would Plant a Tree Symphony.

Here's the link - http://m.ocregister.com/articles/clair-654130-howard-work.html

"These musicians will record the work this week during concerts and it will join I Will Plant a Tree on CD."

Howard is a writer of a certain unpretentious modesty that makes me dig his laid-back faux 'classical' style. There's a sense of accomplishment in these pieces without sounding forced or overly concerned with being weighty.