it ever has.

The additional minutes on this release consist of a

few alternates and Williams-composed source music. Also note that the

album recording bonus track that was only on the original single disc

Varese release but NOT on the later 2-disc version has now been

included. It's absolutely comprehensive and a huge jump in sound quality

across the board.

Mike

The above was posted by Mike Matessino at FSM.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=94644&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=2&r=503#bottom

Most of these London re-recordings back in the day were better anyway. This, Omen 2, Capricorn One...,

Perfect examples. I've rarely listened to the original track on O2 (and I love the score and do play the album tracks every once in a while). With Capricorn One, I had a CDR of the original album at some point and was surprised when I bought the film recording and it did much less for me than I expected the score would. Then a couple of months ago I picked up the re-release of the album, and suddenly it was as exciting as I had remembered it.

Excellent news, indeed... for those who missed the original album or the 2-CD Varese release.

Too bad our go-to soundtrack companies (LLL, VS, FSM, Intrada) don't utilize the SACD format anymore. From what we've heard from La-La Land and Matessino, it sounds like this project would have really benefited from the improved quality that SACD can deliver. The soundtrack producers / editors have the original, multi-channel master-tapes as the recorded score source material, but choose to mix it down to a 16-bit, 30+year-old format in stereo only.

I'm sure the set they've produced will be a noticeable improvement over previous releases, and I am thankful for that. I'm just saying that 'they' could produce select releases as Hybrid SACDs that are playable in standard CD players. But those of us with SACD set-ups could revel in the enhanced resolution.

All modern soundtrack projects are mastered at 24bit/48khz, they just downmix the final product to 16bit/44.1hkz for the physical CDs. But they deliver the 24/48 masters to the studio, and the studio could theoretically release them on high def digital sites someday

True. We can hope for 'hi-res' soundtracks releases someday. Downloads would be fine, really, but they aren't as fun as buying and owning a physical product. (And we soundtrack enthusiasts appreciate our CD booklets.)

It's promising that some sites already have 'hi-res' music for available download (such as the the BSO site, which has made available the JW Oboe Concerto in 24-bit).

Can't wait to hear 'The Fury' in its new splendor...

Its definitely too bad that high def audio never really caught on. I guess the market is just too small in this earbud age

Indeed. For many people, iTunes songs (often played exclusively on their iPod/iPhone with the included earbuds... or using crappy speaker dock) are good enough. Other reasons high-res music never really caught on...

- Many people don't know that music can sound better than standard CDs or DVDs.

- Many people can't tell the difference between an MP3 and a CD, much less care about the improvement in sound quality... so bringing-up yet another format is irrelevant to them.

- Sub-par marketing... Most people aren't even aware that the DVD-Audio or SACD even exist. (It didn't help that those formats were in a war during their first years.)

- Not all SACDs can play in regular CD players or computer drives.

- Many people don't have the right hardware/software to playback hi-res music in its highest-quality.

- Very limited music selection (discs or downloads).

- A mainstream hi-res music download site does not exist. (Apple will probably have to release hi-res tracks in iTunes for hi-res music to have a shot at catching-on.)

- A mainstream, portable, high-def, audio music player doesn't exist yet. (Again, Apple will have to release an iPod/iPhone with hi-res music compatibility to make people even consider looking into hi-res music. Even if they do, it will just be a feature of the product that most people won't care about.)

So, many factors are stacked against hi-res music. I hope that Varese Sarabande, LLL, Intrada, FSM start offering hi-res music (in disc form or downloadable) in the near future. It certainly would be less trouble for them than manufacturing and shipping physical CDs... but would it be more profitable?

I honestly never cared for the high def audio a regular CD is fine for me. Of course I do my own rips in lossless format (wave first then encode to flac). I never bothered getting an SACD because I would have had to get a separate player for it. My computer (that I built in 2004) is a little out-dated and obviously wouldn't be able to play an SACD and I didn't want to spend money for a separate player.

Computer optical disc drives 'Made for SACD' were never made, but Hybrid SACDs are designed to be compatible with CD drives/players. The hi-res 'DSD' layer of an SACD was designed to be impossible to digitally rip --- one of the 'pluses' of the SACD format from the perspective of the music industry.

- Many people don't have the right hardware/software to playback hi-res music in its highest-quality.

- Many people don't have the right hardware to play back CDs at their highest quality

- Many people primarily listen to music that's targeted at and mixed for low end equipment

The Varese Fury lasted about 2 years - it was released in July 2002 and sold out in September 2004.

I think this Varese version will be around for a quite a while, because its 3,500 copies, and because many won't upgrade from the Varese version

Computer optical disc drives 'Made for SACD' were never made, but Hybrid SACDs are designed to be compatible with CD drives/players. The hi-res 'DSD' layer of an SACD was designed to be impossible to digitally rip --- one of the 'pluses' of the SACD format from the perspective of the music industry.

But what then would they have to whinge about? They'd go through withdrawal.

Official email that went out from LLL last night:

THE FURY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1238
Music by John Williams
Limited Edition of 3500 Units
STARTS SHIPPING FEB 26th
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98
ORDER “THE FURY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)” starting Feb 26th at 1pm PST at www.lalalandrecords.com
The_Fury_Web.jpg
La-La Land Records, 20th Century Fox and Sony Music are proud to present the expanded and remastered 2-CD reissue of renowned composer John Williams’ (JAWS, STAR WARS, SCHINDLER’S LIST, LINCOLN) original motion picture score to the 1978 Twentieth Century Fox supernatural chiller THE FURY, starring Kirk Douglas, John Cassavetes and Amy Irving, and directed by Brian DePalma. One of John Williams’ finest scores gets an upgrade from the previous Varese release, with a running time of more than an hour and fifty minutes and improved, stunning sound (especially on Disc 2, the original soundtrack album). Disc One contains the film score and bonus tracks, while Disc 2 houses the reamastered orginal soundtrack album. Produced by Nick Redman and Mike Matessino, produced for Sony Music by Didier C. Deutsch and mastered by Dan Hersch, this special limited edition of 3500 units features exclusive liner notes from film music writer Julie Kirgo. A must for all film music enthusiasts!

TRACK LISTING:
DISC ONE
1 Main Title 2:06
2 Out of the Water :42
3 The Train Wreck :39
4 Thru the Alley :52
5 The Fog Scene 2:36
6 Hester’s Theme & The House 2:23
7 For Gillian 1:51
8 Vision on the Stairs 3:41
9 Hester Eavesdropping 1:09
10 TV Surveillance 1:15
11 Gillian’s Vision 4:23
12 The Conspiracy 1:25
13 Coming Down the Stairs 4:32
14 Death on a Carousel 2:29
15 Gillian’s Escape 5:46
16 Remembering Robin 2:07
17 Before Dinner 1:09
18 Approaching the House 2:05
19 Lifting Susan 4:29
20 The Fall 1:15
21 Father Meets Son 4:06
22 Gillian’s Power 1:41
23 End Cast 2:46

Bonus Tracks:
24 Chicago Street (source)* 1:41
25 More Bubble Gum (source)* 1:52
26 Hold You (source)* 1:50
27 I’m Tired (source)* 1:53
28 Wild ARPH :26
29 ARP ThemeH :42
30 Bed SceneH :27
31 Calliope Waltz* 1:35
32 Calliope Goes Wild / Death on a Carousel* 1:57
DISC ONE TIME: 68:26

DISC TWO
1 Main Title 3:07
2 For Gillian 2:37
3 Vision on The Stairs 4:03
4 Hester’s Theme and The House 4:28
5 Gillian’s Escape 6:11
6 The Search for Robin 2:37
7 Gillian’s Vision 3:56
8 Death on the Carousel and End Titles 8:20
9 Epilogue 4:37

Bonus Track:
10 Death on the Carousel (original version) 2:47
DISC TWO TIME: 43:38

TOTAL TWO-DISC TIME: 1:50:54
* Previously Unreleased

Here's what my rip spits out.... I made this in iTunes, I'm guessing Neil is the one who inputted the titles to their DB :)

DISC 1
1 Main Title (2:08)
2 Out Of The Water (0:43)
3 The Train Wreck (0:39)
4 Thru The Alley (0:52)
5 The Fog Scene (2:37)
6 Hester's Theme And The House (2:23)
7 For Gillian (1:51)
8 Vision On The Stairs (3:41)
9 Hester Eavesdropping (1:09)
10 TV Surveillance (1:15)
11 Gillian's Vision (4:24)
12 The Conspiracy (1:26)
13 Coming Down The Stairs (4:32)
14 Death On A Carousel (2:30)
15 Gillian's Escape (5:46)
16 Remembering Robin (2:09)
17 Before Dinner (1:09)
18 Approaching The House (2:05)
19 Lifting Susan (4:29)
20 The Fall (1:15)
21 Father Meets Son (4:06)
22 Gillian's Power (1:44)
23 End Cast (2:53)
24 Chicago Street (Source) (1:41)
25 More Bubble Gum (Source) (1:52)
26 Hold You (Source) (1:50)
27 I'm Tired (Source) (1:54)
28 Wild Arp (0:26)
29 Arp Theme (0:42)
30 Bed Scene (Unused Fragment) (0:28)
31 Calliope Waltz (1:36)
32 Calliope Goes Wild / Death On A Carousel (1:57)
(TOTAL TIME - 1:08:12)

DISC 2
1 Main Title (3:12)
2 For Gillian (2:42)
3 Vision On The Stars (4:09)
4 Hester's Theme And The House (4:35)
5 Gillian's Escape (6:13)
6 The Search For Robin (2:44)
7 Gillian's Vision (4:02)
8 Death On The Carousel (8:27)
9 Epilogue (4:40)
10 Death On The Carousel (Original Version) (2:48)
(TOTAL TIME - 43:32)

GRAND TOTAL TIME - 1:51:44

The Jim Titus artwork is just incredible throughout - of course, and the booklet is LENGTHY with long liner notes by Julie Kirgo

On my way to work this morning I listened to a few tracks to compare. I started with the Main Titles from the film tracks, and found the LLL version to sound better for sure, though not by a terribly huge margin.

But then I compared the Main Titles as well as "For Gillian" from the LP LSO Re-Recording. Wow! :worship: The LLL version is just flat out FAR SUPERIOR. It sounds perfect basically, you can hear everything completely clearly and it sounds great, like the best recordings from the late 70s with the LSO. Great stuff!

Darn! It looks like I have to get this one. The improved sound quality, liner notes and the few extra tracks warrant a re-buy in this case for me.

There's no need to order it immediately at launch time - there are no signed copies, and it won't sell out within 24 hours

IMO, the greatest non-Star Wars score. Essentially, more or less tied with my all-time-favorite-since-May-1980 Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith with me (yes, the complete Sith moved into my top 3). The album and film score to The Fury are both indispensable to any John Williams collection worth a darn. Although I have a sealed LP, two different OST CDs, and the Varese 2-CD set, I will be getting this one as well. And to go with The Fury blu-ray that I already ordered... ugh... my wife will be getting more massages, I guess, haha.

Speaking the most ever paid for a single score... why that would be the HOLY GRAIL that I recently aquired.... $80 for the "Yes, Giorgio" OST. Not a bad price... had to give my wife a few extra back massages (which I certainly don't mind, heheh), but I finally filled that missing link in my shelf (that I had a well-done CDR as a placeholder until then). West Germany Decca release. Wicked rare. Yes, although some don't, I consider it part of the collection because it has two original Williams compositions. It was the last "OST pressed CD" hole in my collection, now it is complete. In the early 2000s, I once paid $100 for a lot of CDs that included two rarities, the Varese Accidental Tourist and Warner Witches of Eastwick. I now have the re-issues. Almost every other score, I purchased for either retail, slightly more or slightly less. WHile my re-recordings and concert works collections aren't complete (they're pretty good, but not perfect), my OST collection is as good as it can be. (I even keep older, less-complete/non-remastered ones... never sell/trade older releases unless I have an extra).

Who ships it faster? SAE or LaLaLand itself?

Well, the Varese version ran 1:36 and this version runs 1:54, so its 18 minutes longer

Plus Neil S Bulk says

Yes, both discs have more music than the previous Varese album.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151250897337260&set=a.458899792259.251671.701952259&type=1

HOLY #^%^#%^?! WAHOO!!!! In my best Bart Scott, "CAN'T WAIT!"

Chris you know the full track list is posted on page 2 of this thread right?

Ordering goes live in 10 minutes

Ordering direct from LLL will be quicker than ordering from SAE, plus more money goes directly to the label that way too

I agree with Jason that ordering directly from LLL is the best and fastest way. When ever possible I always order directly from the labels, if I am unable to I'll order from Movie Music.

We are GO! Repeat, we are a GO on Operation Triple-L Fury! All troops crash on the website! Let's move, people! MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!

- Uni

There's no need to order it immediately at launch time - there are no signed copies, and it won't sell out within 24 hours

Yeah but Identity Thief is being signed, I would rather pair them now and save on shipping. Either way I managed to get away from work for a couple minutes to order them.

Just ordered! How long does it usually take to ship? (This is my first time pre-ordering from the venue).

They've had The Fury in their offices for a month. They began shipping as soon as the first order was placed today

Yeah but Identity Thief is being signed, I would rather pair them now and save on shipping. Either way I managed to get away from work for a couple minutes to order them.

Ah right, forgot about Identity Thief!

Been going back and forth... and well back and forth on whether to order this.

I bought the Varese 2CD club release the day it came out and do play the score regularly in fact I sat down last night with the samples from the site and the 2nd CD from the Varese set and played the pieces back to back to see what the deal was with the remastering of the 2nd disc. Um... I hope it's just because the samples are compressed but I didn't hear a huge jump between the two, yes it's defiantly been mixed and EQ'd a little hotter and a bit brighter but really not enough for me to say Oh wow the Varese disc is a frisbee now!

Maybe someone with the real disc in the next little bit can comfirm that it really is just because the la la land site and maybe get us a sample that doesn't sound like it was compressed in a tin can?

Either way great release La La Land there are a lot of people who didn't have this that I hope are going to add it to their favorites list after hearing what you've done!

I have the real disc (s) and just posted on the previous page about how much better the sound quality of the new CDs are.....

Also of note is the 18 minutes of new music, the amazing Jim Titus art design, the lengthy liner notes by Julie Kirgo, and the fact that you are supporting the best label on the planet!

haven't ordered it yet, but i'm not gonna order from Lalaland although i assume it would be cheaper than SAE.

every single release i have ordered from them came with a broken case! (i may have said this again, haven't I?)

anyway, the first time i thought it's just coincidence but was it too in the next 3-4 times?

i can't understand how they managed that. :biglaugh: