Williams specialty label releases this year?

filmmusic

But none of these scores are as good as AI, so what's the point?

A.I. is a fantastic score (one of my favs by Williams and in general), but I was -- obviously -- pleased with the existing release. As such, the expansion felt unnecessary. These unreleased gems from the past, however, are anything but unnecessary.

Well Doug at Intrada has hinted that they have John Williams lined up. No timelines given. It looks like two projects. But I can make an educated guess that the first one could be JAWS! Plus we have LLL preparing more JW projects so I guess these are good things to hope for until we get the new STAR WARS movie score.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Doug at Intrada has hinted that they have John Williams lined up. No timelines given. It looks like two projects. But I can make an educated guess that the first one could be JAWS! Plus we have LLL preparing more JW projects so I guess these are good things to hope for until we get the new STAR WARS movie score.

I don't remember if I have seen this and we discussed it.

Source?

The intrada forum?

By the way, I was wondering if Quartet has any Williams.

I asked them at FSM if they do and they didn't reply, BUT they did reply to someone else earlier that asked about Marnie, and they said they have no Herrmann in the pipeline.

A.I. is a fantastic score (one of my favs by Williams and in general), but I was -- obviously -- pleased with the existing release. As such, the expansion felt unnecessary.

Interesting that you feel that way since A.I., to me, is one of the most jarring examples in recent memory of an expanded release almost completely changing, improving, and enhancing the listening experience with so many nice moments reinstated from the OST, properly segmented, and in storytelling order.

I vastly prefer it over the OST and now can't imagine the score any other way.

A.I. is a fantastic score (one of my favs by Williams and in general), but I was -- obviously -- pleased with the existing release. As such, the expansion felt unnecessary.

Interesting that you feel that way since A.I., to me, is one of the most jarring examples in recent memory of an expanded release almost completely changing, improving, and enhancing the listening experience with so many nice moments reinstated from the OST, properly segmented, and in storytelling order.

I vastly prefer it over the OST and now can't imagine the score any other way.

Awesome! Goes to show how different experiences can be in our strange, human minds! :)

But at least we share a love of the movie -- IMO one of the best of the 2000s, and still very underrated (although it's starting to gain the reputation it deserves).

But at least we share a love of the movie -- IMO one of the best of the 2000s, and still very underrated (although it's starting to gain the reputation it deserves).

I actually don't care for the movie at all.

I don't remember if I have seen this and we discussed it.

Source?

The intrada forum?

By the way, I was wondering if Quartet has any Williams.

I asked them at FSM if they do and they didn't reply, BUT they did reply to someone else earlier that asked about Marnie, and they said they have no Herrmann in the pipeline.

I think LLL has mentioned it very vaguely that they have more Williams projects lined up. Even Mike Matttessino has hinted that their collaborations with the LLL/John Williams will yield more opportunities for the future. And Intrada recently confirmed in a post by Doug Fake that they have John Williams lined up possibly 2 projects for their post 30th Anniversary celebrations.Lets see.."always in motion, the future is"

I actually don't care for the movie at all.

Oh....

• 3 months later...

I know :(

Varese is sitting on a gold mind with Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, and Dracula. Get with the program, Varese!

I'd happily buy a straight-up reissue of all three since I don't own them and they sell for crazy money on the secondary market.

I wouldn't exactly describe The Eiger Sanction, Earthquake and Dracula as a gold mine. I doubt they're sitting on them. There's a reason they don't even simply reissue the OST albums. They either can't or they don't see any profit in it.

Well, Jaws 2 was in the same camp as those three (an MCA LP that Varese first put on CD), and Jaws 2 just came out on Intrada. So maybe Intrada actually got the license to those other ones too, but hasn't started work yet with all the Jaws titles (not to mention everything else they had on their plate) this year.

Well, a man can dream. I have no idea what's coming next in the Williams world >shrug<

Reissues? With louder and brighter audio? I'll just hunt for the original albums on eBay.

Sometimes there are lucky finds. I bought Dracula OST to a seller from Argentina for the equivalent of a regular still-in-print CD. And in mint condition!

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes, one is confirmed for this year, I thought you saw MV's post about it in this thread

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26196-the-towering-inferno-jfk-coming-from-lll/

i didn't remember it, and if he meant for this year, but even if i did, i meant to gather all clues from here and there here.

so, that's one so far.

i take it there's no hint/rumour for anything else this year.

Surely we're only a year away from The Lost World, right? That Matessino/Williams/Spielberg relationship must be bearing some more fruit in the near future...

:(

The optimist would say we're only a year away from an anniversary edition.

Although the missing bits from this one are more fragmented I think - way more risk of something being left off.

I wouldn't mind if there was any expanded Williams Potter scores coming this year, Lost World or The Force Awakens a little further in the future. On the latter, I think if it happens, it's possible it could be announced next month, at Star Wars Celebration.

Expanded, schmexpanded....when will a specialty label announce a previously unreleased score, I wonder? It's been 5 years since the last one (NIGHTWATCH in 2011); seems like it's a totally barren landscape.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The optimist would say we're only a year away from an anniversary edition.

Although the missing bits from this one are more fragmented I think - way more risk of something being left off.

A Jurassic Park style expansion would be pretty awful in this instance. I don't recall a single microedit on the JP OST but TLW is filled with them.

Unfortunately there's probably little traction with Universal as far as expansions go; if TLW was a Warners or Sony picture, I'd be a lot more confident.

While Williams supervised the JP remastering and expansion, Universal released it through their own label and likely have no intention of sharing the pie with this particular franchise.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Expanded, schmexpanded....when will a specialty label announce a previously unreleased score, I wonder? It's been 5 years since the last one (NIGHTWATCH in 2011); seems like it's a totally barren landscape.

You know, in this case I'm not that interested in a C&C version. I primarily want (like most here I think) the full, unedited version of 'Rescuing Sarah'. That's one of those cases where JW made a baffling micro-edit and removed some damn cool stuff.

I also want the sombre cue where the team overlook the hunt, but you've probably never even noticed that to start with :) 

55 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

You know, in this case I'm not that interested in a C&C version. I primarily want (like most here I think) the full, unedited version of 'Rescuing Sarah'. That's one of those cases where JW made a baffling micro-edit and removed some damn cool stuff.

I also want the sombre cue where the team overlook the hunt, but you've probably never even noticed that to start with :) 

I love the film (vastly underrated), but I've not analyzed the music, so I'm largely unaware of unreleased music etc. It was never that important to me. But a smokin' good album too, I think. Very "Stravinsky".