Will The Force Awakens be Williams' 50th best score nomination?

crumbs

John Williams at the 2016 Academy Awards  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Force Awakens be Williams' 50th best score nomination?

2. 2. What would have happened if schedules allowed John to score both Episode 7 and Bridge of Spies

• Both scores would have been nominated
    • Only Bridge of Spies would have been nominated
    • Only The Force Awakens would have been nominated
    • Neither would have been nominated
    • I don't know man - I just wanted to vote on the simple question above!

Is TFA allowed to be nominated for Best Original Score and nab Williams his 50th Oscar nomination? Have the eligibility rules changed so that using established music no longer excludes a score from nomination?

Yes, he'll be fine.

Who does Spielberg root for if both Bridge of Spies and Star Wars 7 are nominated?

Yes, he'll be fine.

Who does Spielberg route for if both Bridge of Spies and Star Wars 7 are nominated?

Well, I suppose whoever is more likely to get lost on the way to the ceremony.

I don't think so either. When was the last time the Academy gave the score award to any kind of fantasty, sci-fi, or adventure / action movie? It always goes to dramas now, usually historical ones.

(OOops, I forgot they gave it to Up and Gravity. Still - those are more the except than the rule post-ROTK)

Depends on what else comes out this year, really.

I said this a while back:

2016 Best Score Oscar nominees:

Thomas Newman, Bridge of Spies
Alexandre Desplat, The Danish Girl
Alexandre Desplat, The Light Between Oceans
Dario Marianelli. Pan
whoever scores The Revenent

What we've heard already in the trailers is pretty disappointing.

I really enjoyed the small little bit he recorded for the first little teaser trailer. Those few secods felt more like a film score to me than any big blockbuster film I've heard in a few years. In fact it reminded me a lot of Bernard Hermann. Specifically a small segment of The Knife track of Hermann's North by Northwest score.

I don't think so either. When was the last time the Academy gave the score award to any kind of fantasty, sci-fi, or adventure / action movie? It always goes to dramas now, usually historical ones.

(OOops, I forgot they gave it to Up and Gravity. Still - those are more the except than the rule post-ROTK)

Life of Pi too.

At this point I think it's obvious the Oscars just like John Williams...I don't think it'd take a lot for him to get another Star Wars nomination, unless the movie's a total Crystal Skull level disappointment or his new material isn't all that memorable, which I doubt on both counts. Especially since he doesn't have a more Oscar-y alternative.

The winning thing I think is less genre bias than Best Picture bias...the rare times that they actually nominate a fantasy/adventure/sci-fi movie those do tend to win best score, I think. Jaws, Star Wars, ET, Beauty and the Beast, LOTR, Up, Life of Pi, Gravity, so pretty much that's what it'd take with Ep VII...which I don't think is that crazy, just really unlikely, but I feel like he'd probably win in that case. Theoretically what else are they gonna vote for best score if they liked a Star Wars movie that much.

What happened to the speculation thread? It dissapeared!

This one or that one?

God, I hope so. He got nominated for Prisoner of Azkaban so I'm thinking if it's good and does not rely heavily on prior material it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

According to rumors from last month, the "soundtrack is brilliant so far." We'll know soon enough.

God, I hope so. He got nominated for Prisoner of Azkaban so I'm thinking if it's good and does not rely heavily on prior material it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

According to rumors from last month, the "soundtrack is brilliant so far." We'll know soon enough.

While those rumors are definitely true, they still don't really mean anything. I recall hearing that people were saying similar things about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull's score.

It depends on if there's any tracked music used. Although the rule on established music has been revised (that's how Shore was able to win for ROTK), the Academy still prohibits using pre-existing recordings as part of the score (although it's not always enforced - see Babel).

Well I certainly hope the Academy will award him another nomination.

I'd be surprised if the Academy even nominated TFA for best original score.

Yeah.

Depends on what else comes out this year, really.

I said this a while back:

2016 Best Score Oscar nominees:

Thomas Newman, Bridge of Spies

Alexandre Desplat, The Danish Girl

Alexandre Desplat, The Light Between Oceans

Dario Marianelli. Pan

whoever scores The Revenent

I think Macbeth will be a bit of a dark horse in the score category.

Do we know why the prequels were not nominated? I've heard people say JW never submitted them, and I've heard people say it was due to te tracked music they were disqualified.

I haven't paid attention to the Oscars since 2014.

Yeah it's become such a popularity contest, and there's no real attention paid to artistry. It's bullshit, which is why I only follow the awards ceremony part of it.

Do we know why the prequels were not nominated? I've heard people say JW never submitted them, and I've heard people say it was due to te tracked music they were disqualified.

I'm not sure why TPM wasn't nominated, but I think it should have been. To me, it's the most original and interesting of the PT scores. The music is arguably the best part of the film. AOTC really wasn't good enough to warrant a nomination and JW was nominated for "serious" scores in 2006 (Munich and Geisha), so ROTS wasn't going to receive a nomination. I doubt it would have anyway.

I think 2002 was the year they disqualified sequel scores which put Attack of the Clones out of the running. But he was nominated every prequel year for more dramatic films that came out in December....people voting on these things have short memories. Plus the films were disappointments.

If Williams writes at least one film score during the Oscar period, I expect at least one of them to be nominated. Since TFA is the only one this time, as long as it meets the rules, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't get a nom.

If Williams writes at least one film score during the Oscar period, I expect at least one of them to be nominated. Since TFA is the only one this time, as long as it meets the rules, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't get a nom.

That could be. He has been nominated for all of his 2010s output so far, too. No doubt TFA will get nominations in other categories.

I'd love to think he'll get nominated for every score he writes, from here on. Would be a lovely gesture.

Even an average Williams score is miles beyond the output of other composers, in terms of skill, technique and artistry.

Didn't happen in 2008 with KotCS. Granted I think that was the first time that ha happened since 1992 (JW isn't nominated for anything in a year where he scores at least one film)

Didn't happen in 2008 with KotCS. Granted I think that was the first time that ha happened since 1992 (JW isn't nominated for anything in a year where he scores at least one film)

I forgot that all JW wrote between Munich and Tintin was KOTCS. I regularly listen to the end credits suite but that's about it. That score lifted too many passages from the other films and the new themes were mostly forgettable (the mediocre film clearly didn't inspire JW to write anything exceptional, even with a year of post-production).

Really hope J.J. has a Cuaron-esque personality that demands excellence of Williams and not just "the expected." Being challenged on Azkaban brought out JW's true brilliance as a creative.

Spalko's theme, Dovchenko?'s theme, the Skull theme all wonderful additions to the indy music library. The film may have been disappointing but the music is still top-knotch stuff.