The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HA HA HA!

When I saw you had created this thread I thought I hads successfully converted you to one of the Giacchino faithful Stefan.

I guess I will have to try harder now!! :sigh:

::Wills Stefan Cosman to bow down in praise of Michael Giacchino:: :(

Giacchino is an exceptional composer. Thus far he's provided music for a few video games and the ALIAS t.v. show.

As for why you should care about him, you don't have to. You're just missing out on some really great music. Don't think just because he's scored video games that he's got no compositional chops. The stuff I've heard for Medal of Honour and Secret Weapons Over Normandy easily bests most mainstream film scores I've heard from 2004. In fact, Giacchino demonstrates a propensity for great melodic writing, and deft orchestrational skills. I'm quite certain he'll be the next big thing to hit Hollywood and it will be well deserved.

Of Beltrami, Ottman, Tyler, Shearmur, and the current crop of youngish composers, Giacchino tops my list for most skilled and talented composer. Just wait for Pixar's THE INCREDIBLES. That'll prove it!

Yeah man 128 big ones, that Giacchino is a thief, selling his computer game soundtracks for such a price.

Stefancos- who knows the greatest composition of the computer game genre is still Theme From Mario Bros.

and they cost $128.50 apiece.

THE HELL??

Dude you can buy his soundtracks for the same price as any other soundtrack.

Oh really? Did you read this little bit from The Incredibles thread?

Neil

OH well for crying out loud!

I figured that was what they were probably talking about.

However, an auction at Ebay DOES NOT count. What counts is the price you paid when you could order it when it was released.

I got my MOH soundtrack from Amazon for 17 bucks.

OH yeah and Giacchino's works is so good it might just be worth that price for a copy.

Yes! I said it!

I'm just watching to see where this goes, I have no intention of writing anything that you would expect me to, much to the dismay of Stefan

That's what the other topics are for ;)

since I own zero video games, I do not care to know this person

You ignorant fool. You need not buy any of his soundtracks to appreciate, nor play the games he has scored. I can assure you he is worth your time.

http://www.michaelgiacchino.com/

Get downloading!

And the only reason it was $128 is because the silly man decided to bid that high. Barely any CD is worth that.

And the only reason it was $128 is because the silly man decided to bid that high. Barely any CD is worth that.

Not a silly man, a silly 16 year old boy.

Neil

Not a silly man, a silly 16 year old boy.  

Neil

Giving me a little too much credit there Neil, I'm 15 as I've said numerous times, I'll be sixteen next month on the 19th.

HA

I was wrong about the ALIAS Season 2 box set; it DOES have a bit on Michael Giacchino on the 6th disc BONUS section under "Making of The Telling" section. Basically it outlines Giacchino's role in providing music for the film, er, television show. Sometimes I think it's a film though since his music is so filmic and broad. It wasn't very long mind you amounting to maybe 2 or 3 minutes. Not nearly enough to spend your hard earned dough on unless you're like me and enjoy the television show itself. But it was a nice surprise to discover today whilst I went through the discs.

Here are some comments found on Amazon about Medal of Honor. I know it's all fans but nevertheless, it makes me curious.

Giacchino is the apprentice of John Williams!

Not surprisingly, composer Michael Giacchino sounds reminiscent of John Williams here.

Medal of Honor, better than "Saving Private Ryan"?

The new era could very well belong to the _Medal of Honor_ wonderworker.

Better than Williams?

This score is better than many of John Willams' scores!

This Is For A Video Game?

The best soundtrack ever written! (Medal of Honor)

What we have is the next John Williams.

Unlike most soundtracks, every track on Medal of Honor is incredible.

They are both very similar in their style, although Giacchino likes to stay with the strings a lot more then John Williams tends to.

THE BEST COMPOSITION......EVER!

One thing I think most people seem to be forgetting is that Giacchino was hand picked for Medal of Honor by Spielberg himself so if that's not saying something I don't know what is. I've just bought the Alias soundtrack and have had the Medal of Honor scores and clips from weapons over Normandy and Call of Duty and well I haven't heard a dud yet. If this guy doesn't hit it big in film scoring then there is no hope for humanity!!

Brian99_1

Here are some comments found on Amazon about Medal of Honor. I know it's all fans but nevertheless, it makes me curious.  

Giacchino is the apprentice of John Williams!

Not surprisingly, composer Michael Giacchino sounds reminiscent of John Williams here.

Medal of Honor, better than "Saving Private Ryan"?

The new era could very well belong to the _Medal of Honor_ wonderworker.

Better than Williams?

This score is better than many of John Willams' scores!

This Is For A Video Game?

The best soundtrack ever written! (Medal of Honor)

What we have is the next John Williams.

Unlike most soundtracks, every track on Medal of Honor is incredible.

They are both very similar in their style, although Giacchino likes to stay with the strings a lot more then John Williams tends to.

THE BEST COMPOSITION......EVER!

And Joseph Payne (review Filmtracks) wrote: This is the next John Williams we have here!

Christian Clemmensen (review Filmtracks) wrote: If you were disappointed with the Saving Private Ryan album, I suggest giving this one a try.

There seems to be no end to it:

The best soundtrack of all WW-2 themes. John Williams has taught Michael Giacchino well, it seems.

I am listening to the Alias soundtrack right now.

I like some pieces of it very much.

But.

I don't see what the fuss is all about, I guess his orchestral video game scores must be better.

The talking in Ball Buster is, excuse me for saying, quite awful. But that's just my taste I guess.

And Giacchino added beat in a lot of tracks (David Arnold uses his techno a lot, lot better),

and it reminds me of, well, anybody saw the "Mr Bean" episode where he's late for the dentist? Well, when he realizes that he's late, he leaves his apartment in a hurry, and the musical accompaniment is exactly this kind of beat. The series Bean celebrated its tenth anniversary not that long ago. And the musical budget wasn't exactly worth talking about.

Anyway, some tracks are nice!

I just listened to some tracks off his Medal Of Honor soundtrack and i think it's very good. The Tiger Tank track is worth a listen and the war theme is reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan. And i love his use of Piano and Trumpet in begining of Attack On Fort Schmerzen.

One thing I think most people seem to be forgetting is that Giacchino was hand picked for Medal of Honor by Spielberg himself so if that's not saying something I don't know what is. I've just bought the Alias soundtrack and have had the Medal of Honor scores and clips from weapons over Normandy and Call of Duty and well I haven't heard a dud yet. If this guy doesn't hit it big in film scoring then there is no hope for humanity!!

Brian99_1

Was he really specifically chosen by Spielberg himself? :ola:

Amazed Spielberg actually was that involved in the game. Thought he only had a very minor role in the making of that sucker.

Yes Rogue Leader he was chosen by Spielberg. The Original Medal of honor is linked with his dreamworks interactive company and Since Giacchino wrote the score for the dreamworks game for The Lost World he wanted him for the Medal of honor score. SO as it turns out he got his break in the footsteps of JW

When Joe, Steef, Neil, and all the Giachino doubters here his score to The Incredibles they will be converted.

Trust me. ;)

Justin -Who finds Joe amazingly close minded for excusing a fine composer without hearing a note of his music. :mrgreen:

When Joe, Steef, Neil, and all the Giachino doubters here his score to The Incredibles they will be converted.

Don't you mean "hear" his score?

And I've never heard his music and I've never said anything negative about his music. I was very much looking forward to a new Barry score though, since even the trailer was scored with one of Barry's best pieces of music.

Neil

You know what Giacchino really needs?

His own "Spielberg". By that I mean some upcoming leading filmaker who he can team with on several major projects and gain a name for himself scoring them like like the way JW did with Spielberg.

Yep, we need a new Spielberg and an new composer to keep us busy in the next 20 years. Guys with loads of talent and that still got "the eye of the tiger".

----------------

Alex Cremers

Maybe we could also get the "Next Lucas" who can also give us the "Next Star Wars" which Giacchino can also score.

Hopefully yhe next Lucas won't feel the need to F$%^ UP his own work with "Special Editions" like the present Lucas does.

Yep, we need a new Spielberg and an new composer to keep us busy in the next 20 years.  Guys with loads of talent and that still got "the eye of the tiger".  

----------------

Alex Cremers

:roll: I'm right here.

Man when I think of all the poor scores released over the past few years like Spiderman and the X-Men scores and what Giacchino could have done with them it fills me with deep regret.

Yep, we need a new Spielberg and an new composer to keep us busy in the next 20 years.  Guys with loads of talent and that still got "the eye of the tiger".  

----------------

Alex Cremers

:roll: I'm right here.

Hmm,you seem strangely erratic lately.Too much caffeine?

K.M.

Well I just got back from my trip to Michigan and what better way to announce it then in the Michael Giacchino thread?

Dude, you can never have to much caffeine.  

Stefancos- who lives on coffee.

Too much of anything isn't good for you

Well Im gonna reply to this now.

and they cost $128.50 apiece.  

It wasn't my idea to have him bid that much, I was just amazed he put MORE than that in, and thats what it came to.

You ignorant fool. You need not buy any of his soundtracks to appreciate, nor play the games he has scored. I can assure you he is worth your time

Damn right its worth yours and everybody's time. I've listened to all his medal of honor scores, SWON, some of the Lost World tracks, and some of his obscure other compositions like the ones for the Small Soldiers game and the Muppet game he did(which was surprisingly good, KERMAMBO!). I have not listened to his Alias score unfortuantely, but I plan on doing so soon.

Giacchino is definately a rising star.

Dude, you can never have to much caffeine.  

Stefancos- who lives on coffee.

Too much of anything isn't good for you

You can never have too many Michael Giacchino scores!!!

Or John Williams scores for that matter!

Well said RL, well said

but that is composers, not a beverage, unless you count Steef's mug

Hey as long as its coming from that mug, there can be no limit to Stefan's beverage consumption IMO. :mrgreen: