What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Will Mac carry a gun this time? And instead of building stuff, he will just use an app.

I hope he has just his trusty Swiss army knife and a whole lot of knowledge of physics, chemistry and electronics. And cool apps on his smart phone.

And the power of inner audience directed didactic monologue.

The Real O'Neals. It's from gay writer Dan Savage loosely based on his growing up tales. If it survives this will be a show for young gay teens to identify with. It is easy for young Catholics to coddle too as well.

1 hour ago, Drax said:

Some woman at work was convinced I was gay because I liked that show. I couldn't work out why.

Wearing earplugs and watching MacGyver... I'm afraid you'll never find your soulmate!

DD season 1 is superior to JJ, but that's not to say it was a bad show.  DD created a nice microcosm with its representation of Hell's Kitchen and the people inhabiting that world.  There were great secondary characters and you didn't spend all of your time with Matt Murdock.  The show benefited from having a large world in such a small space.  JJ wasn't required to replicate that, but 13 episodes for a rather intimate story pretty much constantly revolving around her, with one villain that was barely in it, seemed like overkill.  It felt padded out, but I still enjoyed it.

I'm 4 episodes into DD season 2 and it's fantastic.  Better than season 1 so far.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I just thought her show was overlong, repetitive and poorly written. And I also found her to be really annoying.

Karol

I found her slightly annoying too, it was off putting, sadly.

The show didn't give her much to work with until the last 4 or so episodes, when it finally started cooking.  Up until that point Ritter's acting was a bit lifeless.

The X-Files Season 3

Overall a very strong season featuring the usual blend of Monster Of The week Type episodes (which range from excellent to average) and Mythology themes stuff.

When it comes to the MOTW ones the Darrin Morgan penned episodes are the highlights, with an delicious anarchic sense of humour that would make him one Season 10 episode the sole highlight.

The Mythology here is already very convoluted and impenetrable (and they hadnt even introduced the bees yet), but still done with a verve that draws you in even though you know in the end you will pretty much end up where you started, just more confused.  The Mythology seems to include just about any government conspiracy and tries to blend alien/hybrid cloning with Navajo mysticism and just about anything else it can get it's hands out. This shouldnt work, but it kinda does.

Btw, i noticed here that actor Brian Thompson, who plays the alien bounty hunter basically looks like a pumped up Matt Damon.

Still managing to blitz through Big Bang Theory in an effort to catch up to wherever it was I'd gotten with it last year. Finished season 3 and Penny and Leonard just had their first breakup so the scenarios and comedy are far superior by default; they should never have gotten those two together yet, especially so early on. Amy Farrah Fowler's eventual romantic inclusion however is the stuff of modern sitcom legend and it's frankly amazing how she manages to lift scenes wholesale from Sheldon every time they share the stage, she's just that good. I'm aware that Penny and Leonard eventually become a well established couple, for some bewildering reason, but hey I can live in hope the writers might come to their senses again someday, because the dynamic just isn't as effective with those two being lovers. Penny got boring. 

I tried to get into Big Bang Theory - on paper it seems like a show I should love.  Started from the first season and could only get through 10-15 episodes or so before I gave up.  I guess its just not for me.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I tried to get into Big Bang Theory - on paper it seems like a show I should love.  Started from the first season and could only get through 10-15 episodes or so before I gave up.  I guess its just not for me.

Don't you enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Wet Hot American Summer, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Community? See I couldn't stand the first three and IMO Community took a serious nose-dive about half way through its first season and never recovered even though I gave it the benefit of the doubt for a while. I definitely think you and I have different taste in comedy; indeed I generally don't watch ongoing sitcoms much at all if I'm honest. 

I do absolutely love Big Bang though. There's a slight lull in quality midway through the first season lasting about 6 episodes, but it picks up again and by season 2 onwards it's on absolute fire, we find it hysterical - even though I've seen some of these earlier episodes 3+ times. Brilliant. 

That's become one of those shows that TBS puts on all the time.  It's watchable, and does seem to have longevity since it's not bothersome to have the same ones on again and again just as background noise.

1 minute ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

That's become one of those shows that TBS puts on all the time.  It's watchable, and does seem to have longevity since it's not bothersome to have the same ones on again and again just as background noise.

It's the US version of Two Pints Of Lager and a Packet Of Crisps in that regard, which was equally omnipresent but harmless at the time.

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Don't you enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Wet Hot American Summer, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Community? See I couldn't stand the first three and IMO Community took a serious nose-dive about half way through its first season and never recovered even though I gave it the benefit of the doubt for a while. I definitely think you and I have different taste in comedy; indeed I generally don't watch ongoing sitcoms much at all if I'm honest. 

Yes to the first 3 but I never liked Community has much as the vocal majority here.  Yes it had moments of brilliance but it had way too many periods of dull episodes in a row for me to consider it top quality.  As for the others you mentioned

B99 - If you don't like Andy Samberg at all its not a show for you, but really the supporting cast is what makes the show great - especially Captain Holt, who is consistently hilarious.

WHAS - This show is ONLY fun if you've already seen and liked the movie

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Again I liked it but its not the top of top quality out right now.

Really, the top comedies I've seen post-2000 are for sure Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sons & Daughters, and Modern Family.

My mainstream foreign sitcom list is probably something like this:

1. Cheers

2. Frasier

3. The Big Bang Theory 

4. Will and Grace 

5. Friends

Offbeat:

1. Curb Your Enthusiasm 

2. Trailer Park Boys 

3. South Park 

4. Arrested Development 

5. Father Ted 

The Simpsons would have featured highly one time, but it overstayed its welcome which imo greatly undermined its prestige. 

Can you imagine the glory it would be if Simpsons only ran 9 seasons then dropped the mic and never released anything else?  It'd be up there with Seinfeld as a great sitcom that went out on top / shortly after its peak instead of one that dragged on and on and on and on well past its prime.

30 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's the US version of Two Pints Of Lager and a Packet Of Crisps in that regard, 

It really isn't though. I remember Two Packets of Crisp being on, I hated it. Big Bang is in a different league. 

It is omnipresent though, which can certainly have the effect of depreciation in the eyes of those tuning in casually at tea time to see it is yet another repeat episode. People take shows like it and Friends for granted, precisely because they were just always on. But the writing earned that syndication, it is of remarkable quality. 

Watching Big Bang from scratch and in a non random order (on Netflix) has really made its quality shine. I bet shows like Friends work in the same way, they are better optimised when watched chronologically and properly. I only ever saw it sparingly, and over and over again. It suffered for it  

Just now, Quintus said:

But the writing earned that syndication, it is of remarkable quality. 

Every show that makes it to 100 episodes gets syndicated, quality doesn't matter

Same goes for Big Bang. There's relationships and arcs. They're only really apparent in order. 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Every show that makes it to 100 episodes gets syndicated, quality doesn't matter

What I meant is there's generally a good reason why prime time TV dinner shows sell around the world: the good ones are incredibly popular in that slot as ideal light entertainment. 

Yeah, Two Pints Of Lager was shit. Big Bang's still funny. 

The decline in The Simpsons is such a shame ... I used to adore it, absolute appointment-to-view TV. But knowing that they'll never come up with anything as screamingly funny as my favourite episode (King-Size Homer) again is depressing.