Images

BLUMENKOHL

Now here's a score that deserves its own thread and incidentally proper album release (the recordings right now reek). Atonality, beauty, horror, tenderness, this score's got it all. I daresay this is a masterpiece on the part of Williams. The atonal material is excellent (and fresh and experimenting with some new ideas) and it induces real shivers (unlike Close Encounters/WotW), and tracks like "Blood Moon" could easily stand with the best of Williams' works.

Thoughts? Discussion?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy the fact that the string section is not really in tune even when they play the baroque fugue. I like the amateur sound of the players. It adds to the wierdness. Some of the sounds I don't enjoy, but most I do. I wouldn't say it is better than Close Encounters by a long shot, but it has a lot of interesting music.

A fantastic score!

But I do find that the tonal elements reval a younger, less secure Williams. One can hear that he is more stylistically diverse than he is as a mature artist. "Shark Cage Fugue" is a good example, written only a couple of years later, and being vastly superior in terms of contrapuntal writing (and sounding like thoroughbred Williams), and even more so, the "Epilogue" from "WoW".

But again, absolutely great, and should be enjoyed coupled with his Flute Concerto.

A fantastic score!

But I do find that the tonal elements reval a younger, less secure Williams. One can hear that he is more stylistically diverse than he is as a mature artist. "Shark Cage Fugue" is a good example, written only a couple of years later, and being vastly superior in terms of contrapuntal writing (and sounding like thoroughbred Williams), and even more so, the "Epilogue" from "WoW".

But again, absolutely great, and should be enjoyed coupled with his Flute Concerto.

Maybe Altman asked Williams to keep the tonal stuff surprisingly simple (for the sake of contrast, for instance). I say this because The Cowboys, written in the same period as Images, sounds a lot more complex.

Alex - listening to Images right now and who's not a fan of the vocal effects.

Oh, I'm sure Altman suggested Williams keep the tonal aspects simple. But I think that the Williams of later years would have still made it more "Williams" (not that it isn't "Williams" at all, but it is in a way closer to the baroque-isms of "Paper Chase" than the similar type of passages in "Eiger Sanction").