Schindler's List 4CD Recording Sessions

tharpdevenport

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the score cues were included on the OST, but the source music is a revelation. While I'm not positive Williams composed it, the lack of licensing info on IMDb (it sounds too new to be out of copyright) and the difference in instrumentation between takes suggests he did! Any information on this would be nice. Sequencing the source music and score cues in chronological order produces a very different experience from the OST. More narrative tug!

The unreleased score bits include more variations on the Jewish Town theme (a bit more "Williamsesque" than what's on the album, if that makes any sense) an ominous cue based on the Remembrance theme (kind of like Munich minus the electronics/percussion) and a solo recorder version of the main theme (it may be an overlay, but the title suggests it isn't and I haven't found a place for it yet). There are some alternative cues, including "Remembrances" (begins with a flute solo rather than a violin solo).

This is apparently not all of the music from Schindler's List, however - the choral elements are nowhere to be found. I also can't find the album version of "Stolen Memories," second half. In every take on this set the guitarist plays much more quickly. Note also that this is only the music Williams recorded, so no "OYF'N Pripetshok" and other licensed cues.

It's cool,and the alternates are interesting ,but it's one of the Williams scores I know the least

Imagine PoA in this form turning up?

The unreleased score bits include more variations on the Jewish Town theme (a bit more "Williamsesque" than what's on the album, if that makes any sense

where is that?

also can anyone make a track list separating the OST cues from alternates.

Check out tracks 8-11 and 14-15. There's a lot of stuff there; I haven't figured out where the changes are. However, I'm working on a film/OST breakdown of the takes, and I know John Takis also is. Expect that in a day or two.

I got 224 kbps,is that the norm?

also,it's interesting to note that 2 recording sessions have leaked from Universal recently,this and Family Plot.Maybe if were lucky Jurassic Park and TLW will show up soon

Bellow are track names, taken either from the original manuscript score, or when unavailable, from the album release. Inside parentesis are references, when no oficial name was available from the sources I had:

1m3 Por una Cabeza (Carlos Gardel, arr. Angela Morley)

1m6 Jealousy (J. Gade, arr. Angela Morley)

2m2B (timpani)

2m3/3m1 The Money Exchange

3m1

3m1B Recruiting

4m2 Gloomy Sunday (Sam Lewis and Rezso Seress, arr. John Neufeld)

4m3 Deine Augen Sind Dein Herz (arr. Angela Morley)

4m4 In einen Kleinen Café in Hernals (Herman Leopoldi, arr. Angela Morley)

5m2 Stolen Memories*

7m2/8m1 Nacht Aktion*

10m1 (guitar theme, second part of Stolen Memories on the album)

12m1A (arr. John Neufeld)

14m2 The Burial Scene

15m2/16m1 Typing the List

16m2 Say Your Name

17m1 The Shower Scene

18m1 The Returning Women

19m2/20m1 I Could Have Done More

20m3 Placing the Stones

20m4 End Credits

End Credits piano overlay

Journey to Krakow (introduction and theme)

Recorder Theme

*CD release track title

Now, all the source music is pre-existing compositions, either arranged by Angela Morley or John Neufeld. I wasn't able to locate the composer of one of them (4m3), and the title to another one (12m1a). But be sure that none of this is Williams.

As for original cue titles, from what I was able to unveil, not all the music seems to be on the manuscript score, neither all of the stuff on the seems to be recorded. Also, if following the reel references, seems to be some slightly diferences, mainly with the source music, so changes on what was originally though probably ocured during editing.

Regarding the absence of chorus... I always though this was comon knowledge, that the chorus was recorded in Toronto, and that it was then overlayerd into the orchestral recording. Since this seem to be the sessions from LA and Boston, the obvious answer is that, the chorus sessions were stored some place else.

I hope all questions are covered.

I got 224 kbps,is that the norm?

also,it's interesting to note that 2 recording sessions have leaked from Universal recently,this and Family Plot.Maybe if were lucky Jurassic Park and TLW will show up soon

Mark, as far as I'm told, this one leaked as a CD, not mp3 of anysort of quality. Family Plot, unless someone knows something else, as always poped up as those mp3 mono files.

Recording Sessions.

The raw files, before editing.

This is the real stuff, were one, without being a silly fanboy, who think that knows more about music than Williams, can understand Williams working process.

Yeah,I can see there's tons of source cues,overlays and stuff. Look I'm not familiar with SL that much,I never checked the film for unreleased Williams cues so I don't know .If this was most other scores I'd know the cues by heart.

Interesting 14M2 The Burial Scene is Immolation with no lyrics.Probably the best bit so far.

I read your track list i already renamed all the tracks with it .And it's not obvious at first glance that "burial scene"=Immolation .I've seen the movie like once.

also Unreleased music = music in the film that is not on the OST (EXAMPLE:Over the Himalayas from ToD) If there is none of that in SL then that's fine.I assume recording sessions would include it if there was any.

Actually, I have to correct my self.

There is this short timpani beat (2m2b) that isn't on the CD. But it ins't in the film either -- or at least, while watching it yesterday, I didn't heard it.

Also, I'm working on finding out the remaining cue names.

Anyways ,I always prefer an orchestral piece with no sung chorus (not the same as wordless choir ).In this case "burial scene" really sounds like the seed for later "tragedy" cues like The Parish Church Aflame,Anakin's Dark Deeds and Refugee Status.

Anyways ,I always prefer an orchestral piece with no sung chorus (not the same as wordless choir ).In this case "burial scene" really sounds like the seed for later "tragedy" cues like The Parish Church Aflame,Anakin's Dark Deeds and Refugee Status.

You got to be kiding me... The Burial Scene great power comes from the use of choir, and the chosen sentence, sung in hebrew, is just so right...

I've just listened to the recording by Lockhart and the Boston Pops, with the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, and the choir doesn't come as strong as in the soundtrack, and it really lacks all of that dramatic power.

Thanks for the information Miguel.

It's indeed very interesting to have more insight into the working process through this one (the pleasures of having all the music aside).

I read your track list i already renamed all the tracks with it .And it's not obvious at first glance that "burial scene"=Immolation .I've seen the movie like once.

also Unreleased music = music in the film that is not on the OST (EXAMPLE:Over the Himalayas from ToD) If there is none of that in SL then that's fine.I assume recording sessions would include it if there was any.

d1 t14 and t15 are longer than their OST equivalent ("Schindler's Workforce"). D2 t5 and t6 is an unreleased cue. Arguably, so is d4 t17 and t18. That's it for straight "unreleased" music, I think.

d1 t14 and t15 are longer than their OST equivalent ("Schindler's Workforce"). D2 t5 and t6 is an unreleased cue. Arguably, so is d4 t17 and t18. That's it for straight "unreleased" music, I think.

3m1b I would say that are diferent takes, not exactly unrealeased.

7m2/8m1 it's Nacht Aktion, and that as been released.

The Recorder Theme, I guess that can acount as unreleased.

The recording heard on the radio in the film I haven't found in the recording sessions (yet?). It's noticeable because the violin goes up on octave.

As much as I love Williams 4 hours of SL would cause me to take my own life.

Yeah, me too. I wonder if Johnny broke down at the end of it all, and sobbed - "I could have done more :thumbup: "

Perhaps it was more like, "I could have done less". :mellow:

3m1b I would say that are diferent takes, not exactly unrealeased.

7m2/8m1 it's Nacht Aktion, and that as been released.

The Recorder Theme, I guess that can acount as unreleased.

Sorry, I forgot "Nacht Aktion." Didn't think to check the tail end of "OYF'N Pripetshok." 3m1b is a minute longer than on the album, though, and there are definitely some parts I didn't recognize. I'm still trying to figure out which of the numerous takes of this cue was used for "Schindler's Workforce."

Any ideas on 10m1, Miguel? The slow version used on the film and OST isn't on the recording sessions.

As much as I love Williams 4 hours of SL would cause me to take my own life.

Yeah, me too. I wonder if Johnny broke down at the end of it all, and sobbed - "I could have done more :( "

Perhaps it was more like, "I could have done less". ;)

my ears would spontaneously begin to bleed.

There's a bass drum solo that augments the Nazi marching song in the film's second reel. That's almost definitely 2M2B. Perhaps someone who speaks German will be able to identify the song.

The manuscript title of 10M1 (the piece that begins with the guitar solo) is obscured on the PDF file that's making the rounds. We only have the bottoms of the letters. HOWEVER ... with a little detective work, it's almost certainly "The Perlman Family". The first word is obviously "THE", the second word begins with a "P" (you'd think it was "I" if you didn't know Neufeld's distinctive handwriting) and the last word ends with a "Y" (again, without knowing Neufeld's writing, you might guess "S"). From there, it's a simple leap to "THE PERLMAN FAMILY". Those with the file can try printing it out and writing in the missing parts for themselves; it fits perfectly. And it matches the scene it accompanies, to boot.

12M1A is also untitled on the manuscript, but we can make out the composer: Henryk Wars. "Oldlen" J. Tuwim, who is credited with the lyrics, was a poet, and Wars wrote three songs based on his works. Examining the lyrics given in the PDF, we can identify the song as "Miłość ci wszystko wybaczy" (loosely translated as "Love Forgives All"), written for the 1933 film Szpieg w masce (aka The Spy In The Mask).

Incidentally, my guess would be that the recorder theme was meant as a possible alternate for the piano solo that opens the End Credits (aka "Theme From Schindler's List (Reprise)" on the album).

It's because we don't know who is the original person who ripped the c.d.'s.We don't want the 224 transformed into 320k or flak though,but a 320k rip from the real c.d.'s

224VBR is fine I don't really care, but to be anal I'd still trade them for 320kbps MP3's If I had the opportunity

I'm delighted...any chance to hear the sessions to one of my favourite scores. As for the FAMILY PLOT leak, the perpetrator is now six feet under.

I dunno why there's complaints about the 224k, geez. At least you got the score and 224k is a high quality bit rate.

I'm not complaining .but I said if 320k was available I'd get that instead.I'm sure you would too.

I dunno why there's complaints about the 224k, geez. At least you got the score and 224k is a high quality bit rate.

I'm not complaining .but I said if 320k was available I'd get that instead.I'm sure you would too.

It honestly doesn't matter to me. 224k is an acceptable bit rate.

It honestly doesn't matter to me. 224k is an acceptable bit rate.

It is not.

Furthermore knowing that this as leaked on CD-Audio format, being happy with louzy mp3 files is just like going for the worst possible junk food meal when you can afford the best one.

You got to be kiding me... The Burial Scene great power comes from the use of choir, and the chosen sentence, sung in hebrew, is just so right...

I've just listened to the recording by Lockhart and the Boston Pops, with the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, and the choir doesn't come as strong as in the soundtrack, and it really lacks all of that dramatic power.

The choirless version on this is great too.With the hebrew choir it becomes very holocaust specific,without it it's a great epic "lament" style cue. Also on the OST the choir is mixed loud and you almost can't hear those chilling horn blasts at 1.23

With the hebrew choir it becomes very holocaust specific,without it it's a great epic "lament" style cue.

Maybe I'm wrong... but wasn't that the whole idea, to become holocaust specific?

And, in my mind, the better way to convey that "lament" feeling is always the use of voice.

Also on the OST the choir is mixed loud and you almost can't hear those chilling horn blasts at 1.23

Not sure if I agree with you... I hear everything well enought.

I have a new topic idea,and since this thread and new bootleg is of minor interest to the rest of the MB ,I'll start a new thread.

K.M.

I have a new topic idea,and since this thread and new bootleg is of minor interest to the rest of the MB ,I'll start a new thread.

K.M.

Bootleg, what bootleg?

This are recording sessions discs... Can we really call it a bootleg?

Afterall, for the most part this is being traded, not sold.

Yup I don't want to complain at all, far from it - in fact I'm most grateful to the person who was so kind to share it :) - but as Mark said, if there would be anyone with a higher bitrate, I wouldn't mind updating it.

Regarding the absence of chorus... I always though this was comon knowledge, that the chorus was recorded in Toronto, and that it was then overlayerd into the orchestral recording. Since this seem to be the sessions from LA and Boston, the obvious answer is that, the chorus sessions were stored some place else.

Another question: were the film versions of "OYF'N Pripetshok" and "Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav" arranged by Williams? If yes, did he record them in Toronto as well?

By the way, these recording sessions are a very welcome surprise. It would be infinitely cool if someone with lot of time in his or her hands and with a lot of patience would compile an extended release using all the correct takes... :)

19M2/20M1 Insert is also an unreleased cue. It's an insert used in the film version of "I Could Have Done More". Heartbreaking stuff, really...

Another question: were the film versions of "OYF'N Pripetshok" and "Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav" arranged by Williams? If yes, did he record them in Toronto as well?

This are licensed recordings, not arranged or recorded for the film.

By the way, these recording sessions are a very welcome surprise. It would be infinitely cool if someone with lot of time in his or her hands and with a lot of patience would compile an extended release using all the correct takes... :)

Yes, they are a wonderful surprise, just as the selected takes from Family Plot were.

I'm sure many around here are doing such a job of producing an ultimate version, but as far as I'm concerned I rather keep this raw session takes.

19M2/20M1 Insert is also an unreleased cue. It's an insert used in the film version of "I Could Have Done More". Heartbreaking stuff, really...

You're right, of course.