Music of America: John Williams

Well,yes,sort of...

If you didn't have it before you can get Fanfare for a Festive Occasion,For Sergii and some new arrangements of American Journey. You can stream it but also grab the file with Download Helper

• 1 year later...

I can't believe it! I just bought the european version from this 3CD set (newly released by Sony). I opened it from the package and what I saw was brilliant! This 3CD set is housed in a standard plastic jewel case box set, not that crap digipack I saw on this page.

Looking forward to buy the Ultimate Edition from Phantom Menace, also new released by Sony in the european market, maybe it is also in a plastic box set.

If anyone is interested in buying the "real" Music of America, here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00723FDH8 (change ending .com to: .de, .fr, .ca or .co.uk if you want to locate your Amazon)

Have fun!

Well that's awesome. The cardboard sleeves of the US version I ordered forced me to evacuate the CDs to a 3 disc jewel case box.

Looking forward to buy the Ultimate Edition from Phantom Menace, also new released by Sony in the european market, maybe it is also in a plastic box set.

Speaking of which, how does one deals with the smoggy effect that appears on those discs? (the ones in the old digipack case, that is)

Speaking of which, how does one deals with the smoggy effect that appears on those discs? (the ones in the old digipack case, that is)

I had the same problem with The Phantom Menace UE CDs a few years ago and indeed started a thread to ask for advice at the time:

http://www.jwfan.com...ce&fromsearch=1

In the end I went mediaeval on them with a damp CD cloth and it seemed to do the trick, but proceed with caution!

Thanks. That was what I was thinking in doing, but wanted to know how others solved that problem.

By the way, in the thread you pointed to, others worry about digipak, but in my experience this is the only set I ever encountered such a problem.

Getting a damp CD cloth now...

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping this thread.

Haven't got this box yet. From what I understand all, apart from the Air and Simple Gifts and MOG suite, are recordings previously released in other cds?

There is no new performance here?

also, something else:

In what cds are the Song of World Peace various versions?

For starters there isn't any official one for Sattelite Celebration, is it?

So, the reworked version is in this and American Journey cd?

And what about the revised reworked of 2007?

Haven't got this box yet. From what I understand all, apart from the Air and Simple Gifts and MOG suite, are recordings previously released in other cds?

Correct.

also, something else:

Nope.

Right.

Unreleased.

also, something else:

As Jason said in one word. The Song for World Peace is the same recording as the one on The American Journey album and none of the other versions (original or reworking for concert) have been released officially.

The only new material on this 3 CD set are the Memoirs of a Geisha Suite and Air and Simple Gifts and all the rest is repackaged older recordings from various Sony compilations from 90s and noughties. Still it is not a bad set at the 16$ although for a die hard fan who owns most of those compilations it is double dipping for certain.

If you do not have the Memoirs suite (regardless of whether you have the OST), the set is well worth the price--think of the rest as two free bonus cds.

Yup. The suite is definitely worth it.

It's a great compilation of John Williams works and one of the rare who mix movie and concert works (the only other one I can think of is the excellent By request, featuring the great Olympic Fanfare and Theme).

This day and age, though, you can buy the MOG suite separately in iTunes etc. -- so you don't have to double-dip the entire set.

I did (as I had everything else elsewhere).

WE HAVE to buy these exceptional compilations when they comes out, even if we already have all the material.

If we don't, major labels will stop issuing new ones.

When we buy a JW album, we keep his music alive (wow, I sound like a TV advert!)

This day and age, though, you can buy the MOG suite separately in iTunes etc. -- so you don't have to double-dip the entire set.

I did (as I had everything else elsewhere).

I never buy gapless or live songs on iTunes.

For gapless tracks, the only way to get the real thing is to buy the CD. I don't know if you already tried this (I did), but it's impossible to merge separated gapless mp3 togheter without any loss. You can cheat by fading them together, but if you only join them you will always hear gaps.

As Jason said in one word. The Song for World Peace is the same recording as the one on The American Journey album and none of the other versions (original or reworking for concert) have been released officially.

Incanus, this the first time I've heard someone mention that there is 'concert reworking' of the Satellite Celebration. Can you please share more information you have on this? I'm intrigued..!

See here:

http://www.jwfan.com/?page_id=3750

1. The piece was originally called "Satellite Celebration" (maybe - it was at least REFERRED to as that by us for years), and was composed in 1994 for the 1995 New Year’s Day special broadcast, at the request of Seiji Osawa. It premiered on January 1, 1995 in Tokyo and other cities via satellite (Seiji Osawa/Saito Kinen – Isaac Stern, Violin and Yo-Yo Ma, Cello among others)

This recording has never been (officially) released.

2. It was reworked and retitled "Song for World Peace", and made available on the 2002 CD "An American Journey", and that recording is also on the "Music of America" compilation whose thread we're in.

3. It was also reworked in 2007 (and again in 2008, and again in 2012), and those reworked versions are all (officially) unreleased.

Worth also pointing out that the original performance features CHOIR, which was then removed in the reworkings. A shame, because even in shoddy bootleg format, the original outshines subsequent recordings.

Worth also pointing out that the original performance features CHOIR, which was then removed in the reworkings. A shame, because even in shoddy bootleg format, the original outshines subsequent recordings.

The original features two choirs if I remember correctly, or some soloist. And exotic percussion. And yeah it would be something if someone recorded the original version with all the elements.

Oh I forgot Isaac Stern and Yo-Yo Ma were among the original performers.

See here:

http://www.jwfan.com/?page_id=3750

1. The piece was originally called "Satellite Celebration" (maybe - it was at least REFERRED to as that by us for years), and was composed in 1994 for the 1995 New Year’s Day special broadcast, at the request of Seiji Osawa. It premiered on January 1, 1995 in Tokyo and other cities via satellite (Seiji Osawa/Saito Kinen – Isaac Stern, Violin and Yo-Yo Ma, Cello among others)

Oh, I didn't know that detail.

So there isn't any official source about the original name?

(or maybe it had the same name as later?)

The title "Satellite Celebration" may have been shown on screen, or may have just been made up by fans; I honestly don't know. HOWEVER, the chinese singers are singing words that translate to "peace on earth" or just "peace", so Williams very likely might have titled it "Song for World Peace" himself right from the start, and we just didn't know that until it got recorded for the 2002 American Journey CD.

Thanks for the information..!

I think the original "Satellite Celebration" remains the single greatest John Williams composition yet to be recorded/released.

Kickstarter! Now!

well, since he re-worked it I guess it means he's not particularly fond of the first version.

Or it is very difficult to perform in its original form. For some reason I have gotten the idea that these different elements were performed around the world via satellite connection and thus the piece is called Satellite Celebration. Am I way off?

I found this while digging around in the internet:

It was originally entitled "Satelite Celebration". Ozawa conducted musicians on every continent from Japan via satellite.

Kickstarter! Now!

well, since he re-worked it I guess it means he's not particularly fond of the first version.

Or it is very difficult to perform in its original form. For some reason I have gotten the idea that these different elements were performed around the world via satellite connection and thus the piece is called Satellite Celebration. Am I way off?

I found this while digging around in the internet:

It was originally entitled "Satelite Celebration". Ozawa conducted musicians on every continent from Japan via satellite.

No, I think you're right. I think that was its original name during the special 'broadcast event' in 94/95 and not something that has been attributed to it later on. I first got the bootleg recording of this in the late 90s, and it was also known by that name then.

Kickstarter! Now!

I don't think it's about fondness, but more a thought about having a version more easily performable in regular concert setting. The original version was a sort of one-time thing, as it was conceived for a satellite broadcast where the orchestra, soloists and chorus were all respectively in different locations.

Kickstarter! Now!

I don't think it's about fondness, but more a thought about having a version more easily performable in regular concert setting. The original version was a sort of one-time thing, as it was conceived for a satellite broadcast where the orchestra, soloists and chorus were all respectively in different locations.

Agreed.

Kickstarter! Now!

Well, I don't see what would be the difference if all of them were in one room!

The music wouldn't change for starters..

Kickstarter! Now!

Well, I don't see what would be the difference if all of them were in one room!

The music wouldn't change for starters..

Composer's prerogative!

The original performance was highly ambitious: two choruses, 'tribal' percussion, soloists, orchestra, ... It had a complexity that goes way beyond what an orchestra -even with chorus- can easily recreate. I believe Williams is fond of the composition and indeed rewrote it so he could perform a version of it with a more standard orchestra.

The stripped-down version doesn't have the same power however as the original -and sadly only- perfomance.

Because I'll say it again: that performance presents a work that -in my opinion- is among the greatest of all Williams' compositions. It's up there with the Theme From Jurassic Park or Flying from E.T. Yes, it's that good and it's really a shame most people will only hear a bootleg recording of the work, because it deserves a first-rate recording.

The original performance was highly ambitious: two choruses, 'tribal' percussion, soloists, orchestra, ... It had a complexity that goes way beyond what an orchestra -even with chorus- can easily recreate. I believe Williams is fond of the composition and indeed rewrote it so he could perform a version of it with a more standard orchestra.

The Lord of the Rings symphony has about the same size of musical forces from what I understand, doesn't it?

Yet, it could be performed!

That's why I can't understand what is the difficulty here.

The Lord of the Rings symphony has about the same size of musical forces from what I understand, doesn't it?

Perhaps Williams himself feels the version performed in 1995 was a one time event that should not be reprised.

It's not a question of would could; it's a question of what a more traditional orchestra-setting can perform. If Williams performs the piece in Tanglewood he can choose his stripped-down arrangement, if he performs in LA he can do the same thing without having to arrange a whole lot of things just for one piece.

The Lord Of The Rings uses the complex setting throughout the entire length of the symphony; Williams would use it for just one particular work.

Not very efficient.

• 1 year later...

Just discovered the original version of this on YouTube...

... and, wow. :wub:

I absolutely adore the Song for World Peace -- it might be one of Williams' all time best -- but I'd never heard the original. Incredible. 

Recorded on a Deluxe Talkboy.

This was the set with terrible packaging I bought only for the Memoirs of a Geisha suite for cello and orchestra? I wondered what that was when I was going through my CDs and saw a jewel case with a cover of John Williams conducting. Awesome suite. I prefer it to the OST.

5 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Recorded on a Deluxe Talkboy.

This was the set with terrible packaging I bought only for the Memoirs of a Geisha suite for cello and orchestra? I wondered what that was when I was going through my CDs

and saw a jewel case with a cover of John Williams conducting. Awesome suite. I prefer it to the OST.

Also Air and Simple Gifts. That and the Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha both had only been available prior to this set on the mammoth 90 CD Yo-Yo Ma box set so it was great to have an affordable version available.

And yes the original version of Satellite Celebration is brilliant. At the very least Williams should bring back the choir to the orchestral arrangement.

11 hours ago, Will said:

I absolutely adore the Song for World Peace -- it might be one of Williams' all time best -- but I'd never heard the original. Incredible. 

The original has been spinning around in bootleg land ever since the mid 90s (in crappy sound quality). I see that it's now on Youtube. While I like the new arrangement, here's a case where I would have loved to hear a proper recording of the original. It's quite different -- with the whole choir and everything -- so it deserves that.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

The original has been spinning around in bootleg land ever since the mid 90s (in crappy sound quality). I see that it's now on Youtube. While I like the new arrangement, here's a case where I would have loved to hear a proper recording of the original. It's quite different -- with the whole choir and everything -- so it deserves that.

The African percussion near the end was really a shock when I first heard it, and it didn't seem to mesh very well with the rest of the material. But I've grown to like it more with more listens. A pretty cool touch. It's delightful to hear such a huge ensemble (or, in this case, multiple ensembles together, I suppose) playing such intricate orchestrations. 

It should be noted that the ensembles and soloists were all over the world, and not on a single place. That may lead to some mixing issues, as all of this was done live, and along with the crappy recording quality, it probably accounts for the feel of things not sounding all in place.

1 minute ago, Miguel Andrade said:

It should be noted that the ensembles and soloists were all over the world, and not on a single place. That may lead to some mixing issues, as all of this was done live, and along with the crappy recording quality, it probably accounts for the feel of things not sounding all in place.

Which makes it all the more impressive actually, that they pulled it off so well considering the synchronization issues around the world.

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, this should really have been a turn-of-the-century type event, but it was just a random year in the 90s.

Yeah. Really screams "epic," for lack of a better word (please don't call me a neo-JWFan!)

49 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Which makes it all the more impressive actually, that they pulled it off so well considering the synchronization issues around the world.

Yes! I wish we had an interview with the people who put this together. Must have been crazy difficult.

I mean, like, how do you even do something like this? I suppose that each piece of the puzzle except for the Japan orchestra must have had to play/sing their part completely independently (of course they can't listen to others, right, because of the satellite delays?). So, like, everyone synced their clocks exactly and then, for instance, if the orchestra was scheduled to begin a section at whatever time UTC, then Yo-Yo Ma would check his clock and two seconds before that would start playing his corresponding part?

Amazing.