'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' SCORE speculation

Ricard

The bass on the music is not the result of simple EQ.

The impacts are too tight and controlled. My guess is that it's been artificially added after the fact at the impact points.

One thing I would have liked is if he composed a cool new "ending fanfare" for the bit of the SW main theme. It just kinds of ends badly here

yes, it does sound a bit akward ending on the dominant, but on second interpretation maybe it wants to show the waiting for the new trailer ( the coming of the final tonic!)

That's true, but half-cadences are common in Williams's scores.

The impacts are too tight and controlled. My guess is that it's been artificially added after the fact at the impact points.

You mean the transients?

Please, a little seriousness guys, those verbal sparring between members becomes very annoying.

I'm a little bit deceived by the music of the trailer, but I think it cames from the short form of the trailer itself.

That's a trailer that inspire suspense and mystery... so the music is about suspense and mystery... well, until the appearance of the Millenium Falcon.

I personally hoped for a more nostalgic trailer, using the Force Theme and... showing Luke!

Well, it seems we'll have to wait for other trailers to discover the scale of the work done by John Williams on this new Episode!

Thank you for the call-out for seriousness, a rare commodity around here.

To your point, I think Abrams knows very well what he's doing. He's very good at channeling out elements leading up to the film's premiere, revealing bit after bit. I'm sure the familiar 1977 faces will crop up closer to the date. Same with story elements. This was just a teaser with 'images'.

Well it should be noted the version of the teaser on YouTube in the main post here is a fan upload to YouTube, not an official upload. I haven't checked to see if LFL has put it up properly YouTube or if they've only put it on iTunes themselves.

Every version I've checked, has the same distortion.

I played it on my HD tv and my hi-fi system using Apple TV, which has a trailer app. No distortion even at high volume.

Well it should be noted the version of the teaser on YouTube in the main post here is a fan upload to YouTube, not an official upload. I haven't checked to see if LFL has put it up properly YouTube or if they've only put it on iTunes themselves.

I played it on my HD tv and my hi-fi system using Apple TV, which has a trailer app. No distortion even at high volume.

Of course. You've got a hi-fi system.

You mean the transients?

Yes, but I was talking to other people, instead of just myself.

Nor am I a pretentious technobabble swinging dick.

:remybussi:

Call it complete cynicism or just plain loss of faith on my end, but I don't think Williams is going to be coming up with any new thematic material that will be as dynamic and memorable as his material in the OT.

:peepwall:

Mind you that this opinion is based solely off of what I've heard in the trailer.

I agree. The new villian's theme in the middle of the trailer might be worst I've ever heard by Williams.

If you've been composing music for film and television for the vast majority of your life, odds are that you'll have run out of original thematic material to conjure up.

That IS complete cynical nonsense. You're not born with a set number of ideas spinning around in your head.

Try viewing the QuickTime version on iTunes trailers.

Try viewing the QuickTime version on iTunes trailers.

I tried, it said I don't have quicktime, i went to download it and it didn't download..

Thank you for the call-out for seriousness, a rare commodity around here.

And yet we have more in depth discussions on music and movies then your beloved FSM.

Perhaps. If you're clever enough to find it inbetween tons of verbal drivel.

The thing is Thor, most people don't go to popular forums like for heavy academic discussion. They go to them for as a respite from the toils of the day - an online pub with all its brawls, banter and occasional bit of seriousness.

FSM is strange. It's like an dialup bulletin board from the 90s, and with that many of its posters are older and more conservative. Yet at the same time there's a lot of younger trolls who are far nastier than anyone here. An uneasy mix, in other words. Those kind of places draw society's outcasts.

You tell 'em you transient you!

If you've been composing music for film and television for the vast majority of your life, odds are that you'll have run out of original thematic material to conjure up.

That IS complete cynical nonsense. You're not born with a set number of ideas spinning around in your head.

Put your hand over your heart when you're Williams' age and tell me that you still have original thematic material that is as dynamic and memorable as it was for you forty years prior.

Everybody hits their strides. Some strides just last longer than others (in Williams' case, his stride was freakishly long-lasting).

But I also said that Williams might surprise me yet.

Let's not wait until your Williams' age. Let's just wait until the film comes out next year.

To me it doesn't sound like a reworking of that Return of the Jedi material, but it could be just me who don't get it?

I listened to that material, a part of it reminds me of the beginning of the teaser but to me it doesn't sound same or close.

Agreed, but it does sound like the Dooku lighsaber fight in RotS

And the trailer doesn't distort for me.Often this has to do about software volume settings

The main Windows volume should always be a Max, then you adjust your software volume, but making sure the speaker knob isn't too high either. If you use EQ it can also cause clipping in the bass, even a slight bass boost

I dunno, I mostly listen on headphones, but I remember with speakers you could screw it up

The main Windows volume should always be a Max, then you adjust your software volume, but making sure the speaker knob isn't too high either. If you use EQ it can also cause clipping in the bass, even a slight bass boost

I tried that, but it always resulted in me having my ears blown out.

One thing I would have liked is if he composed a cool new "ending fanfare" for the bit of the SW main theme. It just kinds of ends badly here

yes, it does sound a bit akward ending on the dominant, but on second interpretation maybe it wants to show the waiting for the new trailer ( the coming of the final tonic!)

It sounds like a recording sessions cue that ends abruptly. Maybe he just meant it to be transitioned into other cues he wrote

The only part that reminds me of ROTJ are the horn blasts. When I first heard it, it reminded me of something I thought I heard in one of Williams' Potter scores (aside from the horn blasts), but I can't place it. I've come to love this short piece of music, though. I think Williams is going to "reinvent" the Star Wars sound for TFA, like he arguably did the for PT.

Oh, stop being so snooty and acting like there's no similarity to the beginning of The Return of the Jedi (AKA Sail Barge Assault or whatever the hell you want to call it) when Luke walks the plank. Those punctuations may not be dead on balls accurate, but the similarity is there.

I think the opening bit of the racing kinetic strings sounded very familiar in the post 2000 JW action music kind of way, very much in the vein of the Prequels and then Thor mentioned War of the Worlds. Take a listen to The Attack on the Car from that score, especially the section after 1:26:

I for one hope Abrams will call for a more heavily thematic approch for these score, not only in the action sequences but otherwise as well. Williams has such a giant playbook of themes to draw upon now, especially in the post original trilogy universe. I am guessing that he will be focused on writing new material as it seems to be his usual method as he wants very keenly not to be seen as just recycling old material but will probably judiciously use the old themes to establish us back into this galaxy. I also dearly hope he has been given a chance to rework the older themes and motifs so that the score is not just littered with note-for-note quotes of old material from previous films (which tended to happen in RotS).

Oh, stop being so snooty and acting like there's no similarity to the beginning of The Return of the Jedi (AKA Sail Barge Assault or whatever the hell you want to call it) when Luke walks the plank. Those punctuations may not be dead on balls accurate, but the similarity is there.

I agree. It's definitely meant to evoke the scene from RotJ. At least musically. The rest of it sounds very Prequel-y action music like. The Main Theme sounds... different to me though. Not as punchy or something.

I don't think they would stint on the orchestra for John Williams. Could we be hearing *gasp* the audible difference between LSO and this studio orchestra and recording stage?

The thing is Thor, most people don't go to popular forums like this for heavy academic discussion. They go to them as a respite from the toils of the day - an online pub with all its brawls, banter and occasional bit of seriousness.

FSM is strange. It's like a dialup bulletin board from the 90s, and with that many of its posters are older and more conservative. Yet at the same time there's a lot of younger trolls who are far nastier than anyone here. An uneasy mix, in other words. Those kind of places draw society's outcasts.

A more serious and on-target tone does not necessarily equate 'heavy academic discussion'. That's a strawman rhetoric.

Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but I go to a forum like this for reading and discussing films and film music. An occasional 'off-topic' joke is perfectly OK now and then, of course, but for me that's a secondary concern. Maintitles.net is the place that balances this more or less perfectly. JWFAN has always been a frustrating place for me, because you really have to dig hard in many threads to find the worthwhile discussions amid the inane, verbal diarhea about nothing. Often quite offensive too. But I hang around for the John Williams part of the board and the occasional, 'less popular' topics.

But hey -- even though I will never "get" the tone here, there are several nice folks here, some of which I've met in real life.