1941 Screening in LA hosted by Mike Matessino - Sunday March 22

Jay

10644206_10205042304512771_6574978819569

Mike says

Once again I will have the privilege of hosting an evening wherein we get to partake of the guilty pleasure that is Steven Spielberg's "1941." This time it will be the first-ever theatrical showing of the newly restored "Extended Edition" and what better place to do it than at a historic movie palace on Hollywood Boulevard, right where the action takes place! Universal has generated a 2K DCP of this version for future exhibition, and in superb 5.1 Dolby Surround. Co-screenwriter Bob Gale and I have worked to create this event and we are in the process of putting together a great panel of guests for discussion after the movie... plus some fun and surprises. Subscribe for event updates or check back here for announcements and plans for the evening take shape. Hooray for Hollywood!

This is the new version of the extended cut available on blu ray, with the modified music closer matching Williams' original intentions for the EE scenes.

https://www.facebook.com/events/344925609036609/

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/1941

Can anyone front me the money for a ticket from Heathrow, to LAX?

Sorry. No. If Atlantic thwarts my plans every time it might as well thwart yours as well. I feel your pain man.

(looks into Icanus' eyes, tears welling) "What do you know of my pain?"

Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Nah, he just copy/pasted the quote from IMDB!

We all do it! You do it too! I couldn't remember even half of these quotes right from memory and admit it, neither could you!

I still don't like this film. Do I have to turn in my JWFan card?

Nah. It is a very uneven and too full of gags for its own good. Think of it as the commercial failure slap in the face Spielberg needed to make better films.

(looks into Icanus' eyes, tears welling) "What do you know of my pain?"

Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

I'll tell you want my bloody pain is, Sunshine: I can't get to LA to see "1941"!!!!!! Neither can I get to Bradford in March to See "Dune" in 70mm!!!!!

I did like your post, tho' :lol:

It won't - the extended cut of the film being shown matches the Blu Ray, which matches the old dvd, except for some of the music. And the music in the scene you're talking about wasn't changed, because that footage was changed after Williams initially scored it, unfortunately.

For me, it's the noisiest film I've ever seen (there's either someone screaming or something exploding every two seconds) -- which is obviously not ideal for my tinnitus-affected hearing. Plus it's unfunny and frenetic (the latter in part due to Chuck Jones' involvement, I'm sure).

Still, as a Spielberg nut I would be interested in checking out the BluRay, if only to see the picture upgrade. The two-sided DVD I own is plagued with extremely grainy and foggy resolution, much more than was intended.

1941 SCREENING EVENT! Join La-La Land on March 22 at the famed Egyptian Theater in Hollywood for the world premiere theatrical screening of the restored director's cut of 1941! Mike Matessino will host a Q&A with scheduled guests Bob Gale, Tim Matheson, Nancy Allen, Buzz Feitshans and more to be announced. La-La Land will be at the event selling a very limited amount of the sold-out 1941 2-CD score soundtrack - so if you missed out on this great release, you can get pick it up at the big show! See you there! Visit the American Cinematheque website for event info and tix!

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10153218551943755

• 2 weeks later...

It's an invansion!

1941+film+Ferris+Wheel+Eddie+Deezen+and+

This guy was there! I saw him outside the theater and he still looks the same. Tim Matheson (with the same boyish voice) and the other leads were all there except Treat Williams who is in New Zealand and sent a nice letter. I still have a crush on both Dianne Kay and Nacny Allen (both were there and still lovely). The surprises for me were Bobby Di Cicco (who played the dance hero Wally) and the swimmer from Jaws with the nice ass were both there too. And oh yeah...the score from John Tiberius Williams was fantastic of course. Movie was loud and had mostly adolesent humor but still lots of nostalgic impact and historical too considering its place between Close Encounters and Raiders.

Officially, it's between "CE3K", and "CE3K:SE", but I'll let you off.

How did the audience react?

I guess but then you should include the multiple iterations as CE3K - I think there is a rumor that there will be yet another release because of the very problematic history with many versions.

Audience LOVED it - clapped for every famous enterance like Belushi, the leads, cameos, etc. They loved it and I would assume mostly for nostalgic reasons...lots of stunt people who worked on the film were in the audience too. They reminisced that many of them were extremely young (I think Speilberg was 25, Bob Zemickis too) and Spielberg was considered unstoppable so no one questioned him on what were obviously terrible ideas. One very important call out is that of course back then all of the stunts were practical effects so some extremely dangerous stunts including near deaths of stunt people and lots of injuries. It was a good time but to be honest, the film was way too long to begin with and this new cut added 35 minutes! It was a 3 hour super loud movie but I hadn't seen it in a long time so worth seeing with the cast and crew and die hard fans.

Hehehe that is it. Jam-packed with gags and visual jokes and every kind of silliness. And it is indeed loud throughout. I am glad none of you passed out of exhaustion. :P