1966 -- John Williams' busiest year?

Thor

Just to beat the nitpickers to it -- yes, I'm well aware that some of these were composed and perhaps even recorded in 1965, but let's just go by the work's release date. At only 34, he must have had a lot of energy.

He did five feature films:

How to Steal a Million
Not with My Wife, You Don't!
Penelope
The Plainsman
The Rare Breed

Several TV episodes:

WAYNE AND SHUSTER TAKE AN AFFECTIONATE LOOK AT...
--- Theme
--- Season 1: 6 episodes

THE TIME TUNNEL
--- Theme
--- Season 1: 1 episode

THE TAMMY GRIMES SHOW
--- Theme
--- Season 1: 10 episodes (presumably all that were produced; only very few were actually aired)

One rather big concert work:

Symphony No. 1

Perhaps even some performing gigs, although I'm not aware of any piano/arranging work after Mancini's THE GREAT RACE (1965).

Is there any other year that can compete with this?

Well in 1973 he had six feature film scores come out

1973 - Images, Tom Sawyer, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, The Paper Chase, The Long Goodbye, Cinderella Liberty

And, in the years he wrote 4 feature film scores, they were all longer and more complicated scores than his comedy scores from '66

1974 - Conrack, The Sugarland Express, Earthquake, The Towering Inferno

2002 - Attack of the Clones, Minority Report, Harry Potter 2, Catch Me If You Can

2005 - Revenge of the Sith, War of the Worlds, Memoirs of a Geisha, Munich

What's impressive about 1974 is that his wife, the mother of all his children, died in March of that year. Damn. He threw himself into his work!

Still nothing compared to what Zimmer manages to do in one year! :P

He does nothing how does nothing add up?

Well in 1973 he had six feature film scores come out

1973 - Images, Tom Sawyer, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, The Paper Chase, The Long Goodbye, Cinderella Liberty

IMAGES is 1972, but yeah -- another impressive year as far as film scores are concerned.

While I do not necessarily agree that the four scores of 1974 were on the whole more complicated than the 1966 scores (two of which were westerns, btw) -- especially not the brief CONRACK and the rather run-of-the-mill SUGARLAND -- it definitely puts things into perspective when you think of what was happening in his life at the time.

Still nothing compared to what Zimmer manages to do in one year! :P

Zimmer? He doesn't do that much.

Now DESPLAT, on the other hand (or Morricone in his hey day) -- that's a different story.