Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies (2015)

crocodile

I think we can expect a situation similar to Chamber Of Secrets where people will be unwilling to admit the truth, and will be like: "Newman actually didn't write anything for Bridge Of Spies! Williams wrote all the music heard in the film. Newman just conducted it! I swear! He said so in an interview!"

:lol:

Maybe it's something related to Johnny travelling to London to conduct SW? Maybe if he did in LA he would have the energy to do both, but perhaps himself and Spielberg don't want to take the risk.

No.

Let the mods do the moderating. I'll move the Thomas Newman thread over here in due time.

No, the indiewire article includes the entire press release issues by Dreamworks.

It's real, Thor. Sorry....

Well, if it's an official press release from Dreamworks, it is real indeed. Strange, however, that the WATG site -- who first reported this -- made no mention of the source/press release.

I know, the indiewire page was the first to include the full Dreamworks press release.

WATG actually posted the full press release. Same contents as IndieWire.

But none of them included the 'About DreamWorks Studios' part, which can be found here:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmovies/article/PHOTO-First-Look-Tom-Hanks-Stars-in-Spielberg-Thriller-BRIDGE-OF-SPIES-20150318

JW doesn't live in New York, so he wouldn't be flying from NY to London.

The fact is he hasn't left the USA since 2005. Why, we don't know.

I wonder how Spielberg feels about this. It couldn't have been his idea. If it's the interference of SW, one also has to wonder if he appreciates the irony—that he's the one who set JW up with Lucas all those years ago, without dreaming that one day (almost four decades later) it would come back around to rob him of his #1 guy.

I'd prefer a scheduling conflict over health issues.

Amen!

In any case, that's a first for Spielberg/Williams in exactly 30 years! Just realised that.

Karol

It just doesn't seem to be like there ARE any scheduling issues unless, as I said earlier, Spielberg wants the score recorded within the next 2 months, even thought he film doesn't open for another 7.

At least he'll have more time for TFA... :(

The schedule of the two films are overlapping and JW's minor health issue probably changed the planned course. Also, it's likely Ep7 is requesting more time to write than initially planned, so he probably had to choose between the two projects. Since he committed to Ep7 first I guess he felt obliged to go with it first.

There is still SOOOOOOOOOO much more time left to write both scores! This really all makes no sense.

UNLESS Spielberg wants to put Bridge of Spies in the can sometime in the next month or two and then shift everything towards The BFG.... basically as if the release date was May/June and not October.

BUT EVEN THEN, Williams would have PLENTY of time to write and record that score first, and then STILL write tons of music for SW7 - which doesn't open until freaking DECEMBER!

Seriously - THIS ALL MAKES NO SENSE!

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but nobody knows what's happening in the post-production process of Ep7 and Bridge of Spies.

For all we know, Williams is writing Ep7 this very moment and will presumably record sometimes this summer. He probably doesn't want to begin writing a new score before closing the book on what he's working at the moment. He already had overlapping schedules in the past of course, but nowadays he's 83 and probably he needs more time to finish up a score (even compared to 10 years ago, when he wrote 4 big scores in a span of less than a year), so he must be careful on how he spends his energies.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but nobody knows what's happening in the post-production process of Ep7 and Bridge of Spies.

For all we know, Williams is writing Ep7 this very moment and will presumably record sometimes this summer. He probably doesn't want to begin writing a new score before closing the book on what he's working at the moment. He already had overlapping schedules in the past of course, but nowadays he's 83 and probably he needs more time to finish up a score (even compared to 10 years ago, when he wrote 4 big scores in a span of less than a year), so he must be careful on how he spends his energies.

You are right. he last had a really busy year in 2002 with overlapping projects. He's a lot older now so won't have quite the energy for that sort of thing.

At least he'll have more time for TFA... :(

The schedule of the two films are overlapping and JW's minor health issue probably changed the planned course. Also, it's likely Ep7 is requesting more time to write than initially planned, so he probably had to choose between the two projects. Since he committed to Ep7 first I guess he felt obliged to go with it first.

There is still SOOOOOOOOOO much more time left to write both scores! This really all makes no sense.

UNLESS Spielberg wants to put Bridge of Spies in the can sometime in the next month or two and then shift everything towards The BFG.... basically as if the release date was May/June and not October.

BUT EVEN THEN, Williams would have PLENTY of time to write and record that score first, and then STILL write tons of music for SW7 - which doesn't open until freaking DECEMBER!

Seriously - THIS ALL MAKES NO SENSE!

That's my point. EVEN IF Williams is deep in SW7 right now AND doesn't want to BEGIN Bridge of Spies until he's done with SW7.......... Bridge of Spies doesn't open until freaking OCTOBER! Williams could spend another THREE MONTHS working on SW7, recording it in June, and still have 3 MORE MONTHS to write Bridge of Spies, record it in September in front of it's October opening.

So therefore, I am saying that the most likely scenario is that Spielberg DOES NOT WANT to wait that long for the score, he wants it recorded in the next 2 months. Probably because he wants to close the book on it and dive deep into pre-production on The BFG.

The most logical thing to me is that the minor health issue forced him to stop writing anything for an unspecified amount of time and now Ep7 is taking him more time than initially planned so he had to reschedule everything accordingly.

Maybe Williams saw Spielberg's rough cut, thought it was a turd, and didn't want to be associated with it :P

We are all in reality devastated but try to hide it with panicked banter!

And we dont know that Spielberg is doing anything else right now? Concert wise?

If anyone has information on this, I'd love to know. I've always dreamed of seeing Steven Spielberg live in concert.

EVEN IF Williams is deep in SW7 right now AND doesn't want to BEGIN Bridge of Spies until he's done with SW7.......... Bridge of Spies doesn't open until freaking OCTOBER! Williams could spend another THREE MONTHS working on SW7, recording it in June, and still have 3 MORE MONTHS to write Bridge of Spies, record it in September in front of it's October opening.

So therefore, I am saying that the most likely scenario is that Spielberg DOES NOT WANT to wait that long for the score, he wants it recorded in the next 2 months. Probably because he wants to close the book on it and dive deep into pre-production on The BFG.

It's still a big speculation on your part. We don't know how much time JW needs to write Ep7. All that I'm suggesting is that, at 83, he probably isn't writing as fast as he did even just 10 years ago. It's likely Ep7 is requesting him a two-hour score. Williams doesn't have assistants or a team helping him like every other Hollywood composer does. He still writes every note with pencil on paper and that takes time, especially if you have to write a big symphonic score like Ep7 very likely will be.

Maybe Williams saw Spielberg's rough cut, thought it was a turd, and didn't want to be associated with it :P

No, Williams has scored other Spielberg turds before, why stop now?

Let us not be hypocritical either here though - for some this score was already designated coaster status even before it came out.

But yeah, it's symbolic. And it is genuinely saddening.

So John Williams was given the opportunity to pick his Spielbergian successor.

He picked Newman and not Giacchino.

The question has been settled once and for all. Thomas Snoozeman is the next John Williams.

I agree with some of you who say that with production on the BFG commencing soon, Spielberg probably wanted to close the book on Bridge of Spies as soon as possible. With the probable delay in finishing scoring Episode VII (which could be due to the mentioned health problem and the demands of the film itself), Williams was unable to comply with Spielberg's schedule, therefore he passed on the baton. And I'm quite sure Newman was a Williams recommendation

The question has been settled once and for all. Thomas Snoozeman is the next John Williams.

And I'm quite sure Newman was a Williams recommendation

I remember seeing a video interview with Williams a few years ago where he mentioned his appreciation for Newman. I guess the choice isn't very surprising, but I find it kind of disappointing. I still haven't heard anything by Newman that has grabbed my attention.

I remember seeing a video interview with Williams a few years ago and he mentioned his appreciation for Newman. I guess the choice isn't very surprising, but I find it kind of disappointing. I still haven't heard anything by Newman that's grabbed my attention.

It's not surprising in the least. Williams gave Newman his start back during RotJ. He has in numerous interviews praised Newman as the most promising up and coming composer.

EVEN IF Williams is deep in SW7 right now AND doesn't want to BEGIN Bridge of Spies until he's done with SW7.......... Bridge of Spies doesn't open until freaking OCTOBER! Williams could spend another THREE MONTHS working on SW7, recording it in June, and still have 3 MORE MONTHS to write Bridge of Spies, record it in September in front of it's October opening.

It's still a big speculation on your part. We don't know how much time JW needs to write Ep7. All that I'm suggesting is that, at 83, he probably isn't writing as fast as he did even just 10 years ago. It's likely Ep7 is requesting him a two-hour score. Williams doesn't have assistants or a team helping him like every other Hollywood composer does. He still writes every note with pencil on paper and that takes time, especially if you have to write a big symphonic score like Ep7 very likely will be.

Well, Ford Thaxton already informed us a few weeks ago that he had already written 3 reels (out of probably 7 total). By now he could be almost done with the score.

Until rewrites and inserts, of course.

THERE IS STILL SO MUCH TIME TO SCORE BOTH FILMS BEFORE THEIR RELEASE DATES!

This is still all so weird to me!

It's curious that Williams was not able to score this probably due to Episode VII, whereas Newman will score it, when he has another huge project that opens pratically at the same time (Spectre)