If "The Silmarillion" is ever made into a Movie or Series..

Perdogg

Stone giants given a 5 minute action scene? WTF?

One of my biggest problems with the first film, and the perfect example of what PJ's "storytelling" has mutated into.

I'm not sure what the problem is. It's a quite spectacular scene, and the giants weren't pulled out of PJ's arse. Does it take anything from the film? AUJ has other problems.

Tolkien apologist On second thought, that's not the best way to describe the denominational differences we're seeing here.

Sigh...

You people can't even write in another language then your own, I'm sure.

'ech tlhIngan?

Does Klingon count?

I've changed my mind about only adapting individual stories in isolation. Here's a better plan! It's a division of the Quenta Silmarillion into six films, except four of them are two-parters. I envisage these coming in at around four hours per part...

(Spoilers for The Silmarillion lurk below, obviously.)

The Silmarils, Part I

Beginning with the birth of Fëanor, and covering the creation of the Silmarils and the unrest of the Noldor, and culminating in the destruction of the Trees, the murder of Finwë, the theft of the Silmarils and the Oath of Fëanor.

The Silmarils, Part II

Beginning with the debate of the Noldor which results in the departure of the hosts of Fëanor and Fingolfin, the first kinslaying, and their separate journeys to Middle-earth across the sea and across the Helcaraxë, respectively, with each host embroiled in a battle almost immediately upon their arrival. Fëanor is mortally wounded by the Balrogs and his heir Maedhros taken captive, ultimately rescued (some time after the first appearances of the Moon and the Sun) by his cousin Fingon and the Eagle Thorondor, leading to the reconciliation of the two hosts and the acknowledgement by Maedhros of Fingolfin as High King of the Noldor in Middle-earth.

The Realms of Beleriand, Part I

Beginning with the Feast of Reuniting, Fingolfin's huge effort of diplomacy attended by Noldor and Sindar from all over Beleriand, establishing Thingol's grudging tolerance. Subsequently, Finrod and Turgon set out to begin construction of their secret cities of Nargothrond and Gondolin. The major developments to be conveyed during the centuries of the long peace are the tensions between Thingol and the Noldor around his discovery of the kinslaying, the exploits of Aredhel resulting in the birth of Maeglin and the murder of Eöl, and the appearance of the first Men into the story and their relationship with the Elves. The finale is the ending of the peace which comes when flames pour out of Thangorodrim signaling the commencement of the Battle of Sudden Flame (seen here primarily from the perspective of Hithlum) and the subsequent death of Fingolfin in his great duel with Morgoth.

The Realms of Beleriand, Part II

Events of the Battle of Sudden Flame and its aftermath elsewhere in the land. Notable events include Sauron's defeat of Orodreth at Minas Tirith and consequent establishment of the Isle of Werewolves, Curufin and Celegorm's defeat and flight from the Pass of Aglon, the ambush Finrod's army at the Fens of Serech and their rescue by Barahir, Maedhros's successful resistance around Himring, Emeldir's expedition leading survivors from Dorthonion to Brethil, the hunt for Barahir's company in the fens and their ultimate slaughter, and Beren's recovery of the Ring of Barahir from the hunters.

Beren and Lúthien

Pretty self-explanatory; beginning with Beren's arrival at Doriath, ending with the two of them going off to an island somewhere.

The Fifth Battle

Beginning with Maedhros's attempt to put together a coalition great enough to give Morgoth a hammering while he appears vulnerable, but with mixed results for political and personal reasons. Battle plans go awry, Fingon gets his head caved in by a Balrog, and Azaghâl gives Glaurung a run for his money but gets crushed. Ending with the death of Huor and capture of Húrin; then Morgoth leads Húrin to his seat and gives him a large bucket of popcorn.

Turambar, Part I

Túrin's childhood, his time in and flight from Doriath, and his period with Beleg as leader of a notorious band of outlaws. Ending around the time of Túrin's journey to Nargothrond after an accidental murder.

Turambar, Part II

Túrin's time leading the defense of Nargothrond, ultimately bringing it to ruin; the expedition of Morwen and Nienor to find Túrin during which Glaurung wipes Nienor's memory; Túrin's time with Brandir's people during which he unwittingly marries his sister; the return of the dragon. Ending with Húrin's release from Angband and brief reuniting with Morwen.

The War of Wrath, Part I

The downfall of the remaining Elven strongholds of Beleriand, beginning with Tuor's journey to Gondolin in the hope of persuading Turgon to scram, his marriage to Idril and the birth of Eärendil, and Idril's initiation of escape plans. The middle part has Húrin bring the Nauglamir to Thingol, ultimately resulting in the murder of the latter, the second kinslaying and the escape of Elwing and the Silmaril. Finally, disaster comes to Gondolin and Turgon, but Tuor, Idril and Eärendil escape and Glorfindel kills a Balrog along the way. Eärendil and Elwing both end up in Arvernien.

The War of Wrath, Part II

While tarrying in Arvernien, Eärendil builds a boat and then sails off. Meanwhile, Maedhros and Maglor and whichever brother is still left are damn well going to get their Silmaril back so they do some more kinslaying, and capture the youngsters Elrond and Elros. Unfortunately, however, the Silmaril is now on its way west with Eärendil and Elwing who finally manage to reach the other side of the ocean. The Valar turn Eärendil's boat into a spaceship and then send an army to Middle-earth to wreck the place; Morgoth is made to go and sit on the naughty step. Maedhros and Maglor swipe the two remaining Silmarils and burn their palms; Maedhros throws himself and his Silmaril down a chasm, while Maglor throws his Silmaril in the sea and goes for a stroll on the beach.

I've changed my mind about only adapting individual stories in isolation. Here's a better plan! It's a division of the Quenta Silmarillion into six films, except four of them are two-parters. I envisage these coming in at around four hours per part...

(Spoilers for The Silmarillion lurk below, obviously.)

The Silmarils, Part I

Beginning with the birth of Fëanor, and covering the creation of the Silmarils and the unrest of the Noldor, and culminating in the destruction of the Trees, the murder of Finwë, the theft of the Silmarils and the Oath of Fëanor.

The Silmarils, Part II

Beginning with the debate of the Noldor which results in the departure of the hosts of Fëanor and Fingolfin, the first kinslaying, and their separate journeys to Middle-earth across the sea and across the Helcaraxë, respectively, with each host embroiled in a battle almost immediately upon their arrival. Fëanor is mortally wounded by the Balrogs and his heir Maedhros taken captive, ultimately rescued (some time after the first appearances of the Moon and the Sun) by his cousin Fingon and the Eagle Thorondor, leading to the reconciliation of the two hosts and the acknowledgement by Maedhros of Fingolfin as High King of the Noldor in Middle-earth.

The Realms of Beleriand, Part I

Beginning with the Feast of Reuniting, Fingolfin's huge effort of diplomacy attended by Noldor and Sindar from all over Beleriand, establishing Thingol's grudging tolerance. Subsequently, Finrod and Turgon set out to begin construction of their secret cities of Nargothrond and Gondolin. The major developments to be conveyed during the centuries of the long peace are the tensions between Thingol and the Noldor around his discovery of the kinslaying, the exploits of Aredhel resulting in the birth of Maeglin and the murder of Eöl, and the appearance of the first Men into the story and their relationship with the Elves. The finale is the ending of the peace which comes when flames pour out of Thangorodrim signaling the commencement of the Battle of Sudden Flame (seen here primarily from the perspective of Hithlum) and the subsequent death of Fingolfin in his great duel with Morgoth.

The Realms of Beleriand, Part II

Events of the Battle of Sudden Flame and its aftermath elsewhere in the land. Notable events include Sauron's defeat of Orodreth at Minas Tirith and consequent establishment of the Isle of Werewolves, Curufin and Celegorm's defeat and flight from the Pass of Aglon, the ambush Finrod's army at the Fens of Serech and their rescue by Barahir, Maedhros's successful resistance around Himring, Emeldir's expedition leading survivors from Dorthonion to Brethil, the hunt for Barahir's company in the fens and their ultimate slaughter, and Beren's recovery of the Ring of Barahir from the hunters.

Beren and Lúthien

Pretty self-explanatory; beginning with Beren's arrival at Doriath, ending with the two of them going off to an island somewhere.

The Fifth Battle

Beginning with Maedhros's attempt to put together a coalition great enough to give Morgoth a hammering while he appears vulnerable, but with mixed results for political and personal reasons. Battle plans go awry, Fingon gets his head caved in by a Balrog, and Azaghâl gives Glaurung a run for his money but gets crushed. Ending with the death of Huor and capture of Húrin; then Morgoth leads Húrin to his seat and gives him a large bucket of popcorn.

Turambar, Part I

Túrin's childhood, his time in and flight from Doriath, and his period with Beleg as leader of a notorious band of outlaws. Ending around the time of Túrin's journey to Nargothrond after an accidental murder.

Turambar, Part II

Túrin's time leading the defense of Nargothrond, ultimately bringing it to ruin; the expedition of Morwen and Nienor to find Túrin during which Glaurung wipes Nienor's memory; Túrin's time with Brandir's people during which he unwittingly marries his sister; the return of the dragon. Ending with Húrin's release from Angband and brief reuniting with Morwen.

The War of Wrath, Part I

The downfall of the remaining Elven strongholds of Beleriand, beginning with Tuor's journey to Gondolin in the hope of persuading Turgon to scram, his marriage to Idril and the birth of Eärendil, and Idril's initiation of escape plans. The middle part has Húrin bring the Nauglamir to Thingol, ultimately resulting in the murder of the latter, the second kinslaying and the escape of Elwing and the Silmaril. Finally, disaster comes to Gondolin and Turgon, but Tuor, Idril and Eärendil escape and Glorfindel kills a Balrog along the way. Eärendil and Elwing both end up in Arvernien.

The War of Wrath, Part II

While tarrying in Arvernien, Eärendil builds a boat and then sails off. Meanwhile, Maedhros and Maglor and whichever brother is still left are damn will going to get their Silmaril back so they do some more kinslaying, and capture the youngsters Elrond and Elros. Unfortunately, however, the Silmaril is now on its way west with Eärendil and Elwing who finally manage to reach the other side of the ocean. The Valar turn Eärendil's boat into a spaceship and then send an army to Middle-earth to wreck the place; Morgoth is made to go and sit on the naughty step. Maedhros and Maglor swipe the two remaining Silmarils and burn their palms; Maedhros throws himself and his Silmaril down a chasm, while Maglor throws his Silmaril in the sea and goes for a stroll on the beach.

Nice, but what about Ainulindalë?

Well this will certainly take the cake, stretching a 263 page book into 10 movies and not even counting the Ainulindalë. :lol:

:lol:

Not at all; that's economy! In Silmarillion-style language, the story of The Lord of the Rings is recounted in about a page and a half! Even if it conveyed the sequence of events more thoroughly (instead of saying how they've been told elsewhere), it still probably wouldn't amount to more than a chapter...

Nice, but what about Ainulindalë?

I see the Ainulindalë as a separate project from the tale of the Silmarils; same goes for Akallabêth. Still, there's definitely a place in the above scheme for various elements of Elvish mythology (e.g., the music of Ainur, the destruction of the Lamps, the sundering of the Elves) to be related in conversation between characters. In particular, it's crucial that there should be reference to the line "And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined." (Preferably by a child; perhaps told by an Elf child to a human child in the early days of their association.) To my mind, it's this notion more than anything else that puts Tolkien's legendarium in the realm of fantasy, and it's central to everything that happens, right up to the end of The Lord of the Rings.

• 2 months later...

I've officially updated my "pieces to write" list to include a "Silmarillion cycle" of operas a la Wagner. Hope you can all stick around for another 30 years at least.

• 5 months later...

Andy Serkis will of course play all the Valar through motion capture so no role for Vin Diesel! Come to think of it Andy Serkis will play most roles through motion capture in the Silmarillion. They need 4 or 5 actors at most.

Vin Diesel can play the tree of light or whatever the fuck that tree was that the spider queen Ungoliant messed with.

Yes two trees of Valinor, Telperion and Laurelin, could be played by Vin Diesel and Orlando Bloom in blue gimp suits over which Weta could generate the actual trees. Or alternatively they could just glue some leave on both and paint one gold an other silver and their wooden acting would do the rest.