Michael Giacchino's STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (Varese 2CD Deluxe Edition)

Jay

My copy arrived, and I'm loving it. This will get a lot of play time, of course.

This is a better presentation than the 2009 DE:

- No missing overlays or choir elements.

- With one exception, no unusual crossfades, and the one unusual one works fine if you're not listening for it.

- Standard jewel case.

I'm very happy with this release, and can now retire the OST. :)

Maybe it was complete when Giacchino wrote his comments. Spock to Spock is a very strange omission. I sense a cock-up in the late stages.

Ordered! Mine should be here this week, I can't wait.

How do you guys already know if this isn't the full soundtrack? Is there a lot missing?

How do you guys already know if this isn't the full soundtrack? Is there a lot missing?

There are two missing cues: Spock to Spock and End Credits (Part 2). These two cues are available on the bootleg, though.

What do you mean? It's been on sale since Monday, many people have already received their copies.

Or did you not notice the YouTube video in the main post that has the complete score in it?

What do you mean? It's been on sale since Monday, many people have already received their copies.

Or did you not notice the YouTube video in the main post that has the complete score in it?

Sorry I thought the video was a bootleg version full of sound effects. I'm in the UK it takes a lot longer to get it to me.

There are two missing cues: Spock to Spock and End Credits (Part 2). These two cues are available on the bootleg, though.

Ah I see, thank you.

I ordered mine a week ago and it actually arrived on Saturday. Six to seven days from ordering seems to be the norm for UK ordering.

I doubt there's any correlation between the two missing tracks both happening to include Spock's theme. I think for Spock To Spock, either Giacchino purposely decided it could be dropped, or something screwed up and accidentally dropped it and no one noticed.

For the end credits, someone probably just thought it was better / easier to take the already combined film version rather than combining the three pieces of the promo.

For those who think the shopping cart trick means anything at Varese:

Peter Hackman says:

The shopping cart is NEVER correct in what we have shipped. All it shows is what we have PRODUCED and is sitting on our shelves. When a title is released, I believe most labels do this, they do NOT manufacture ALL 3000 or 5000 copies of it. They make a good number that they think will get them by. Then when they get low, they order more. Like for Star Trek Expanded, if we had made all 6000 we literally would be walking over CD's as that is a LOT of boxes. Ever notice Intrada and the fine folks at La-La Land say, out of stock be back in 2 weeks or something like that. Same thing. We all make what we think will get us by then when we get low we order more to be made.

So don't ever trust the Varese shopping cart as a true record of what we have sold :)

Hope that clears up that misconception!

For those who think the shopping cart trick means anything at Varese:

Peter Hackman says:

The shopping cart is NEVER correct in what we have shipped. All it shows is what we have PRODUCED and is sitting on our shelves. When a title is released, I believe most labels do this, they do NOT manufacture ALL 3000 or 5000 copies of it. They make a good number that they think will get them by. Then when they get low, they order more. Like for Star Trek Expanded, if we had made all 6000 we literally would be walking over CD's as that is a LOT of boxes. Ever notice Intrada and the fine folks at La-La Land say, out of stock be back in 2 weeks or something like that. Same thing. We all make what we think will get us by then when we get low we order more to be made.

So don't ever trust the Varese shopping cart as a true record of what we have sold :)

Hope that clears up that misconception!

Makes sense.

No star rating at the end?

Star ratings are so 1990's Stefan. Get with the times. It is time for ratingless reviews! It is all the rage on all the major sites these days.

Stars turned out to be too condensending so we're looking to revolutionise reviewing with the introduction of candy canes. If uou have 3D glasses they will delight you with kaleidoscopic and psychodellic display of colours. ;)

Karol

Well, I don't know how many candy canes there are in the world, Stefan! But I looked at the CD case, listened to it several time and thought to myself: "That looks like 40 and a half".

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Great review Karol, I have a similar opinion regarding this score. I picked this up last week after having the bootleg for so long it was nice to hear it mastered slightly better!

• 1 month later...

Hello all, can anyone tell me about the music in this STID blue ray special feature called, The Journey Begins... Again? It's the happy and building music at the beginning of this video. I really don't think it's on the soundtrack but it is very Giacchino. Where could it be from? Thanks!

• 4 years later...