Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rian Johnson tweeted that Episode VIII will shoot on 35mm film.

They're allowing this antiquated medium to persist? This is intolerable. Younger audiences relate more to the sharp, digital look. It's like a real camera that they would own is there shooting the scene.

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to say. There can be more than one villain. I wonder if Johnson has finished the script, yet? It's less than 2 years until the release of Episode 8.

With the exception of The Empire Strikes Back (although you could likely make an argument for Boba Fett), there are multiple active villains in every Star Wars movie. Star Wars had Vader and Tarkin. Jedi had Vader and the Emperor). Phantom Menace had Darth Maul and the Trade Federation guys. Attack of the Clones had Dooku and the Geonosians. Revenge of the Sith had Dooku, the Emperor, and eventually Anakin. The Force Awakens has Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma, and likely Domnhall Gleeson's General Hux will have a fairly meaty role as well since he was onstage at ComicCon.

It's not unreasonable to believe that there will be new villains in each movie. My hope is that they don't kill off cool villains early (Darth Maul) and just keep replacing them.

With that said, as always, no Star Wars new is official until it is posted at StarWars.com, no matter how many sites repost a rumor. Not too long ago, Tatiana Maslany was a sure thing for the lead in Rogue One in the trades, and we know how that went (my heart still hurts).

With the exception of The Empire Strikes Back (although you could likely make an argument for Boba Fett), there are multiple active villains in every Star Wars movie. Star Wars had Vader and Tarkin. Jedi had Vader and the Emperor). Phantom Menace had Darth Maul and the Trade Federation guys. Attack of the Clones had Dooku and the Geonosians. Revenge of the Sith had Dooku, the Emperor, and eventually Anakin. The Force Awakens has Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma, and likely Domnhall Gleeson's General Hux will have a fairly meaty role as well since he was onstage at ComicCon.

It's not unreasonable to believe that there will be new villains in each movie. My hope is that they don't kill off cool villains early (Darth Maul) and just keep replacing them.

With that said, as always, no Star Wars new is official until it is posted at StarWars.com, no matter how many sites repost a rumor. Not too long ago, Tatiana Maslany was a sure thing for the lead in Rogue One in the trades, and we know how that went (my heart still hurts).

I hope she lands a big franchise soon. Maybe Marvel Studios or WB / DC will scoop her up for something, she's way too talented not to.

Huh. Never heard of her.

She plays all of the best characters on Orphan Black (I think she's up to 8 substantive characters now? Nine if you count the voice of Helena's hallucinated scorpion)

• 1 month later...

I thought the new trio of main characters (Rey, Finn, Poe Dameron) were announced to be the main characters in all 3 new episodes.

Yeah, we don't know anything about this role. The main cast of The Force Awakens is in the double digits, it doesn't mean anything that they'd be introducing a new character.

Also, this is just "reports," so it might all be BS anyway.

I wouldn't surprised if they did introduce at least one more important character.

Maybe this character will be Finn's love interest since Rey will reportedly be with Luke in Episode VIII. I hope Williams didn't write a Rey and Finn love theme.

;)