What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I can hear some superficial similarities but they are different enough to not come close to being considered a ripoff imho

I would like to say I listened to Johnny Mandel's score to Deathtrap but that's a dream I'll never realize.

I know you didn't, I didn't mean to imply you did, sorry

There's no need to be sorry. :)

Die Hard for me today. It is a brilliant score and very apt sub-title for me life lately. ;)

Karol

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home:

Overall the score is a little to distracted for my taste, but there are some great moments. The love theme, and a few tracks work as standalone tracks. My favorite is "King Fawz Feast," for the awesome combination of Irish and Arabic music. I wish there was a soundtrack release for this score back in 1965, because if so maybe Williams would have expanded some of the random ideas into more listenable tracks. Of particular interest is the silent movie pastiche stuff--that always sounds really cool, and I'd love to hear a more fleshed out version (or a high quality recording of the piano silent movie pastiche that Williams wrote for hte Boston Pops one time).

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home:

Overall the score is a little to distracted for my taste, but there are some great moments. The love theme, and a few tracks work as standalone tracks. My favorite is "King Fawz Feast," for the awesome combination of Irish and Arabic music. I wish there was a soundtrack release for this score back in 1965, because if so maybe Williams would have expanded some of the random ideas into more listenable tracks. Of particular interest is the silent movie pastiche stuff--that always sounds really cool, and I'd love to hear a more fleshed out version (or a high quality recording of the piano silent movie pastiche that Williams wrote for hte Boston Pops one time).

Most positive review of John Goldfarb ever!! LOL. I agree with your points, an album would have been great...but alas...

The Mission (Amazing Stories) is on now. This riveting 30 minutes always make an appearance in my top JW scores. It has some of JW's best dramatic music and one of his greatest finales ever.

John Carter and The Amazing Spider-Man. So far the only true good things to come out this year. At least in the big-budget department.

Karol

I'd probably add Journey 2 to the list. But other than those, I agree that there really wasn't much this year.

Birdman of Alcatraz -- Bernstein

Beautiful. Intimate. Woodwinds.

Another of my favourite Bernstein scores. The album is a magical experience from the first note.

John Carter and The Amazing Spider-Man. So far the only true good things to come out this year. At least in the big-budget department.

Karol

I'd probably add Journey 2 to the list. But other than those, I agree that there really wasn't much this year.

Yes those two scores have been the most impressive scores released in the blockbuster department. Journey 2 is enjoyable but I feel that it lacks a certain kind of gravitas (as much as there is gravitas in the summer blockbuster world) and true memorability.

]Yes those two scores have been the most impressive scores released in the blockbuster department. Journey 2 is enjoyable but I feel that it lacks a certain kind of gravitas (as much as there is gravitas in the summer blockbuster world) and true memorability.

You're spot on Incanus. I was simply saying that those would be my top 3 scores so far in the year. But I couldn't help but feel that Journey 2 was lacking the qualities to reach greatness. The score is good fun though.

I'd disagree that it doesn't have the memorability.

Lockington wrote some of the most memorable themes I've heard recently, and the orchestration in the non-action oriented cues is quite something.

Clemmenson's review said it was good, but would never be considered 'high art', which made me immediately think - what is 'high art' exactly? Does he mean that the score is sugar-coated, and therefore can't be considered great music?

It's a strange distinction I've seen with the oscars (not lately, maybe 5 years ago) where a score can be really popular, but 'of course it won't be oscar material'. And I ask... why not? if the music is doing its job in the film and clearly has much thought in thematic integration, what else are they asking for? Journey 2 is way better than some of the crap I've heard recently.

Yes Journey 2 is much better than many of its contempraries but for some reason it has not made a truly lasting impression on me. Lockington's themes are ok material sure but should I say his approach is quite generic with glimpses of original writing here and there.

The Return of the King The Complete Recordings by Howard Shore: Perhaps even more magnificent than I remembered. A full listen still leaves me thoroughly emotionally exhausted but what and experience it is.

The Return of the King The Complete Recordings by Howard Shore: Perhaps even more magnificent than I remembered. A full listen still leaves me thoroughly emotionally exhausted but what and experience it is.

I remember similar feelings after listening to the entire trilogy (not all in one sitting!) and following along Adams' book.

It's my favourite of the trilogy. An incredibly exhilirating musical ride, even more so than its predecessors.

It's my favourite of the trilogy. An incredibly exhilirating musical ride, even more so than its predecessors.

I think its great, but the ending cues, are kind of dull compared to the "Beach in Fellowship" theme renditions in the last two.

When did the Fellowship have time to hit the beach? I think Legolas needed to work on his tan.

They obviously did some quick sun bathing in Parth Galen before they went to hunt some Orc.

Signs, Star Wars, Superman, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones Finale, yes I listened to the one track I've praised more than once. To bad ROTS was never as foreboding as the last 30 seconds of the AOTC Finale.

"Prometheus"

I don't get why Gregson-Williams was brought on board for this. Adds nothing to it.

A nice, comfortable listen, pleasant and straightforward.

In other words, almost completely boring for such a film.

Which is why the Orcs were about Six days ahead of those wacky Three Hunters.

Hey, cut them slack. I mean it was probably the last time they were ever going to see a beach in their long journey, so might as well take advantage of it. They are human after all....oh wait...

Attack of the Clones Finale, yes I listened to the one track I've praised more than once. To bad ROTS was never as foreboding as the last 30 seconds of the AOTC Finale.

Love that finale.

"Prometheus"

I don't get why Gregson-Williams was brought on board for this. Adds nothing to it.

A nice, comfortable listen, pleasant and straightforward.

In other words, almost completely boring for such a film.

Adds nothing? I guess a main theme is nothing these days...

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman: It has been a while since I listened to this score and I have to say it is hands down some of the best music Elfman has written in the last few years. The genre seems so right up his alley and the mood, fierce tense action and wicked foreboding his motifs embody capture the classic horror tale with panache and skill.

I'd would even go as far and say it would one of the strongest scores in his entire career.

Karol

Yes I agree. It sounds like a very mature and elegant piece, while still having fun with the subject matter and exploring the gothic darkness of the tale with glee.

Creation by Christopher Young: This is the side of Young I wish the composer would get time and chances to explore more, lyrical, introspective yet strikingly dramatic, with sensitivity and such beautiful and haunting atmosphere. Young is a great composer with good thematic ear, which he usually masks under his brazen and slashing and clashing horror or action scoring but this score along with few others like the Shipping News and The Tower exhibit truly emotional lyricism that is a joy to hear.

Yes, indeed. Young is a really solid composer, but the stuff he has to work with is usually a waste of his talent, I reckon.

Sommersby by Danny Elfman and Dances with Wolves by John Barry for me this morning.

Oh and I gave Andrew Lockington's Journey 2 score a listen. Pleasant and well done, but not terribly memorable. I can't hear composer's voice.

Karol

Yes, indeed. Young is a really solid composer, but the stuff he has to work with is usually a waste of his talent, I reckon.

Sommersby by Danny Elfman and Dances with Wolves by John Barry for me this morning.

Oh and I gave Andrew Lockington's Journey 2 score a listen. Pleasant and well done, but not terribly memorable. I can't hear composer's voice.

Karol

Sommersby is another less known but wonderful different kind of Elfman score and Dances with Wolves really epitomizes John Barry's lyrical and epic style in the best possible way. In fact I think I'll take a listen of that today as well.

You are thinking along the same lines as I am about Lockington's score as well, his voice is a bit lost in doing this "action/adventure blockbuster" score.

Creation by Christopher Young: This is the side of Young I wish the composer would get time and chances to explore more, lyrical, introspective yet strikingly dramatic, with sensitivity and such beautiful and haunting atmosphere. Young is a great composer with good thematic ear, which he usually masks under his brazen and slashing and clashing horror or action scoring but this score along with few others like the Shipping News and The Tower exhibit truly emotional lyricism that is a joy to hear.

Agreed. The Shipping News is my favorite score of his. Have you heard Haunted Summer? Bought that on a whim since so many people gave it positive reviews upon La-La Land's release. It's really good.

Tribute Film Classics Highlights - Korngold, Steiner, & Herrmann

Stromberg and Morgan have put together an excellent highlight CD of all their famed re-recordings. I keep reminding myself to buy Adventures of Don Juan / Arsenic and Old Lace, but I keep forgetting...

Went on a Williams kick in my car during my ride to work this past week (it's an hour each way).

Empire Strikes Back

Superman

Saving Private Ryan

Schindler's List

E.T.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Fury

By Request...