Chris Tilton's Fringe - Score discussion (Giacchino and Seiter additional music Season 1)

Jay

FRINGE

Original Television Soundtrack

Music Composed by Michael Giacchino • Chris Tilton • Chad Seiter

From J.J. Abrams (Lost), Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman — the team that brought you Star Trek, Mission Impossible: III and Alias — and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and Bryan Burk comes a new drama that thrills, terrifies and explores the blurring line between science fiction and reality.

When an international flight lands at Boston's Logan Airport and the passengers and crew have all died grisly deaths, FBI Special Agent Olivia Dunham is called in to investigate. When the search nearly kills her partner, Special Agent John Scott, a desperate Olivia searches frantically for someone to help, leading her to Dr. Walter Bishop, our generation's Einstein. There's only one catch: He's been institutionalized for the last 20 years, and the only way to question him requires pulling his estranged son, Peter, in to help. Under Special Agent Phillip Broyles, our trio will discover that what happened on that fatal flight is only a small piece of a larger, more shocking truth.

Academy Award nominee and Grammy and Golden Globe winner Michael Giacchino again returns to the J.J. Abrams universe to head the composing team for the new hit series from Fox.

The Season 1 DVD for FRINGE is available now, and Season 2 is currently running on Fox.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 013 2

Release Date: 03/23/10

I'm a fan of most of Tilton's work, but aside from a few bits during the show the music was largely unimpressive. Then again, maybe Chris was responsible for the good bits.

This being one of the bits I like

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a20791712b3bb8ed69e81c_l.jpg

vsd-302-067-013-2.jpg

This title will be available to ship on or after 4/20/10.

From J.J. Abrams (Lost), Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman — the team that brought you Star Trek, Mission Impossible: III and Alias — and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and Bryan Burk comes a new drama that thrills, terrifies and explores the blurring line between science fiction and reality.

When an international flight lands at Boston's Logan Airport and the passengers and crew have all died grisly deaths, FBI Special Agent Olivia Dunham is called in to investigate. When the search nearly kills her partner, Special Agent John Scott, a desperate Olivia searches frantically for someone to help, leading her to Dr. Walter Bishop, our generation's Einstein. There's only one catch: He's been institutionalized for the last 20 years, and the only way to question him requires pulling his estranged son, Peter, in to help. Under Special Agent Phillip Broyles, our trio will discover that what happened on that fatal flight is only a small piece of a larger, more shocking truth.

Academy Award nominee and Grammy and Golden Globe winner Michael Giacchino again returns to the J.J. Abrams universe to head the composing team for the new hit series from Fox.

The Season 1 DVD for FRINGE is available now, and Season 2 is currently running on Fox.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 013 2
Release Date: 4/20/2010

Track List:

01. Fringe Main Title Theme (Composed by J.J. Abrams) (:37)
02. Logan's Run† (:53)
03. The Bishop Of Essex County* (2:27)
04. Transfusion Triumph† (1:45)
05. Steig On The Run† (1:39)
06. I See Frozen People* (3:41)
07. Waking Strife† (2:19)
08. Why Can't I Be Goo?† (3:35)
09. The Shocking Dead† (2:40)
10. The Chess Club† (2:13)
11. The Equation† (2:14)
12. The Dreamscape† (6:55)
13. The Light Fantastic† (4:33)
14. Gurney For Your Thoughts‡ (5:24)
15. Masters Of The Multiverse‡ (2:01)
16. Now That's Just Nicked Up‡ (1:21)
17. Simultaneous Combustion‡ (2:33)
18. Sanford And Shunned‡ (4:02)
19. A Destroyed Life† (3:24)
20. Keeping Up With The Jones‡ (1:35)
21. There's More Than One Of Everything‡ (1:50)
22. Connecting The Fringe-Cidents‡ (5:30)
23. Reiden Out The Storm‡ (3:57)
24. All Along The Bell Towers‡ (3:31)

*Composed by Michael Giacchino
‡Composed by Chris Tilton
†Composed by Chad Seiter

http://www.varesesar...d-302-067-013-2

Interesting that Giaccino's name is first and front on the cover, but he really only composed 2 tracks out of 24. And also doesn't every episode of the show say "Music By Michael Giacchino"? Looks like Chris and Chad are really the ones scoring the episodes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fringe: Season 2 - Cover art and track list!

a20791d12f093b351e2467_l.jpg

a20791d12f093c3ecd4d60_l.jpg

FRINGE

Season 2

Music Composed by

Chris Tilton

Return to explore the boundaries of a mysterious mythology that holds millions of viewers in its hypnotic grasp. Season 2 of FRINGE contains worlds (and alternate worlds) of excitement complete with shape shifters, cryonic heads, belly-dwelling beasts and people who turn to ashes before our eyes. But the overarching narrative takes three clandestine FBI agents — Olivia Dunham, Peter Bishop and Walter Bishop — through a mind-bending investigation of a parallel reality that threatens to destroy ours. The impossible is here in a series that offers “the most satisfying, coherent story arc of any science fiction-flavored primetime drama” (Mike Hale, The New York Times).

Composer Chris Tilton returns from Season 1 and delivers a mysterious, poignant and beautiful score.

Season 2 of FRINGE is available on Warner Home Video DVD and BluRay. Season 3 of FRINGE is currently airing on Fox.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 067 2

Release Date: 05/03/11

TRACK LIST:

1. A New Day In The Old Town (1:44)

2. Good Ol’ Charlie (2:02)

3. The Coma-naut (5:27)

4. Hypnotic Suggestions (1:08)

5. Observers Everywhere Everytime (2:13)

6. Love And Death On Observer Island (3:24)

7. What A Gas (4:34)

8. Forest Of Dreams (3:27)

9. Where Dunham Fears To Tread (1:55)

10. The Building Theft (1:19)

11. The Window Of Opportunity (3:13)

12. Reiden Out To Madness (3:56)

13. Doppelganger Up on Reality (2:52)

14. Breach To The Choir (3:32)

15. Olivia’s Cross To Share (:58)

16. Over There (2:14)

17. The Son Also Rises (2:04)

18. Devastation Nation (1:12)

19. Saved By The Belly (2:27)

20. Haste Makes Wasteland (1:36)

21. Quibbles And Fits (3:19)

22. Doubled Over (2:17)

23. Love In The Time Of Crossing Over (3:09)

24. Bells And Missiles (3:54)

25. Give My Regards To Fraudway (2:17)

26. End Title Theme (Composed by Michael Giacchino) (:31)

Bonus Tracks:

27. Fringe 85 (Composed by J.J. Abrams) (:25)

28. Red Russian Down (1:35)

29. Brown Betty Suite (9:09)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-325/Fringe-cln--Season-2/Detail

LOST was the only show that I ever watched religiously. I didn't miss a single episode. After it ended, I found myself having no desire to watch television, even other favorites like Family Guy and South Park. What I do now is just wait for a season/series to end so I can buy it and watch it all together.

Even now LOST is the only show I'm watching. Once I'm done going through the series, I'll probably do Band Of Brothers and The Pacific, followed by Mad Men. They've all been sitting on the shelf since November.

• 2 weeks later...
After some delays, the Fringe Season 2 soundtrack finally has a firm release date! The soundtrack arrives on 5/03/11 at your favorite retailer or digital download site. It’s always hard putting TV soundtracks together simply because there’s SO MUCH music to go through. I tried to put together the best moments, and tracks that are the most relavent to the story. The 2nd half of the album features a great deal from the two-part season 2 finale. Along with it are some bonus tracks. “Fringe 85″ is a retro take on the main title that was used in the episode, “Peter.” “Red Russian Down” is a little thing I wrote as source music for Ep. 203, where Peter and Olivia are in a bar in Iraq. And finally, the “Brown Betty Suite” consists of the best moments of the score to the crazy film noir/musical episode. To clarify, it’s just the score, as getting the songs (which were not arranged by me) would have amounted to a whole slew of licensing and complications. Plus, I feel the songs really only work in the context of the show, and not so much on their own. Here is the full track list!

1. A New Day In The Old Town (1:44)

2. Good Ol’ Charlie (2:02)

3. The Coma-naut (5:27)

4. Hypnotic Suggestions (1:08)

5. Observers Everywhere Everytime (2:13)

6. Love And Death On Observer Island (3:24)

7. What A Gas (4:34)

8. Forest Of Dreams (3:27)

9. Where Dunham Fears To Tread (1:55)

10. The Building Theft (1:19)

11. The Window Of Opportunity (3:13)

12. Reiden Out To Madness (3:56)

13. Doppelganger Up on Reality (2:52)

14. Breach To The Choir (3:32)

15. Olivia’s Cross To Share (:58)

16. Over There (2:14)

17. The Son Also Rises (2:04)

18. Devastation Nation (1:12)

19. Saved By The Belly (2:27)

20. Haste Makes Wasteland (1:36)

21. Quibbles And Fits (3:19)

22. Doubled Over (2:17)

23. Love In The Time Of Crossing Over (3:09)

24. Bells And Missiles (3:54)

25. Give My Regards To Fraudway (2:17)

26. End Title Theme (Composed by Michael Giacchino) (:31)

Bonus Tracks:

27. Fringe 85 (Composed by J.J. Abrams) (:25)

28. Red Russian Down (1:35)

29. Brown Betty Suite (9:09)

“A New Day In the Old Town” comes from the end of the season 2 premiere, where the Fringe Team theme is first introduced. “The Coma-naut” is a combination of a couple cues featuring Broyles theme with French horn and acoustic guitar. “Hypnotic Suggestions” is a much requested track that contains the Massive Dynamic theme from when Walter arrives at MD for the very first time. “What a Gas” is the evacuation montage from 212. Tracks 5 and 6 are from the Observer themed episode, “August.” Here, the bass flute introduces the Observer Theme that is used from whenever the Observers are heavily involved in the story. Tracks 8-10 feature Olivia’s journey to the past in realizing what makes her able to see the glimmer from things from the other side, and 11-13 are from Peter, and feature the first appearance of the Walter/Peter theme. 14-25 are all from Over There (parts 1 & 2), and feature a lot of revisiting of older themes, plus a couple new ones, like Walter’s new theme (Devastation Nation) which relates to his guilt over slow destruction of the other side as a the result his actions to save Peter. Also present is Olivia & Peter’s love theme, which is in tracks 20 and 23. The whole thing is then rounded out by Michael Giacchino’s End Credits, as well as the bonus tracks. Hope you enjoy when it comes out!

FROM http://www.christilton.com/2011/03/31/fringe-season-2-soundtrack/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Incomplete breakdown of the Fringe CD, thanks to Chris Tilton and Antzstuff in this FSM thread:

PILOT

02. Logan's Run

03. The Bishop Of Essex County

04. Transfusion Triumph

05. Steig On The Run

THE GHOST NETWORK

06. I See Frozen People

THE CURE

08. Why Can't I Be Goo?

IN WHICH WE MEET DR. JONES

09. The Shocking Dead

THE EQUATION

11. The Equation

THE DREAMSCAPE

12. The Dreamscape

SAFE

10. The Chess Club

13. The Light Fantastic

BOUND

14. Gurney For Your Thoughts

ABILITY

15. Masters Of The Multiverse

BAD DREAMS

16. Now That's Just Nicked Up

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN

17. Simultaneous Combustion

18. Sanford And Shunned

19. A Destroyed Life

THERE'S MORE THAN ONE OF EVERYTHING

20. Keeping Up With The Jones

21. There's More Than One Of Everything

22. Connecting The Fringe-Cidents

23. Reiden Out The Storm

24. All Along The Bell Towers

Breakdown of the Fringe 2 CD, from Giacchino-fan at the FSM board:

A NEW DAY IN THE OLD TOWN: 1. A New Day In The Old Town (1:44)

DREAM LOGIC: 2. Good Ol’ Charlie (2:02)

EARTHLING: 3. The Coma-naut (5:27)

OF HUMAN ACTION: 4. Hypnotic Suggestions (1:08) (The Episode Walter visits MD for the 1st time)

AUGUST: 5. Observers Everywhere Everytime (2:13)

AUGUST: 6. Love And Death On Observer Island (3:24)

WHAT LIES BELOW: 7. What A Gas (4:34)

JACKSONVILLE: 8. Forest Of Dreams (3:27)

JACKSONVILLE: 9. Where Dunham Fears To Tread (1:55)

JACKSONVILLE: 10. The Building Theft (1:19)

PETER: 11. The Window Of Opportunity (3:13)

PETER: 12. Reiden Out To Madness (3:56)

PETER: 13. Doppelganger Up on Reality (2:52)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 14. Breach To The Choir (3:32)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 15. Olivia’s Cross To Share (:58)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2 16. Over There (2:14)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 17. The Son Also Rises (2:04)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 18. Devastation Nation (1:12)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 19. Saved By The Belly (2:27)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 20. Haste Makes Wasteland (1:36)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 21. Quibbles And Fits (3:19)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 22. Doubled Over (2:17)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 23. Love In The Time Of Crossing Over (3:09)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 24. Bells And Missiles (3:54)

OVER THERE PART 1 & 2: 25. Give My Regards To Fraudway (2:17)

EVERY EPISODE: 26. End Title Theme (Composed by Michael Giacchino) (:31)

PETER: 27. Fringe 85 (Composed by J.J. Abrams) (:25)

FRACTURE: 28. Red Russian Down (1:35)

BROWN BETTY: 29. Brown Betty Suite (9:09)

Can anyone verify Fringe 2 and complete Fringe 1?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
FRINGE

Season 3

Music Composed by

CHRIS TILTON

Immersive. Compelling. Hypnotic. Brilliantly imaginative. Endlessly thrilling. Pick your term. The mystery of the universes deepens in the critically acclaimed 22-episode third season of FRINGE, television’s most exciting sci-fi. The Fringe team escapes from the parallel universe — except for Olivia, trapped in the other world and replaced in ours by her double, who turns Peter and Olivia’s tentative relationship into a love affair. Then Olivia returns, bonds of trust fray, ever more bizarre and terrifying phenomena occur and secrets that stretch back to 1985 threaten to destroy our universe. Or theirs.

“Fringe continues its hot streak known as Season 3. It’s been firing on all cylinders all season.” (Andrew Hanson, LATimes.com)

Chris Tilton is back with his most emotional and involved score yet.

FRINGE Season 3 is available now on Warner Home Video, while Season 4 is currently running on Fox.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 132 2

Release Date: 04/03/12

Track List:

1. The Escape From Liberty Island (2:17)

2. Slow Motion Sickness (1:46)

3. Newton’s Last Mission (1:50)

4. May The Best World Win (4:56)

5. Sneaking Sense Of Liberty (3:13)

6. Hot Brief Injection (1:22)

7. Capturing The Dunhams (3:39)

8. Take It To The Tank (2:08)

9. The Original Dunham (1:01)

10. I Thought She Was You (1:28)

11. My So-Called Strife (1:12)

12. Olivia (2:18)

13. The Firefly (1:44)

14. Best Chase Scenario (3:37)

15. The Observers (1:52)

16. Reciprocity (3:27)

17. The Persistence Of Walternate’s Vision (2:16)

18. Imagination Building (3:19)

19. The House Of Birth (4:45)

20. Oppenheimer Maneuvers (1:00)

21. WWPD (1:22)

22. Singe And Surge (1:53)

23. Peter (1:59)

24. Apocalypse In Judgement (:41)

25. As The Crowbar Flies (1:09)

26. Wake Up And Smell The Catastrophe (1:33)

27. The Way The World Crumbles (4:50)

28. Walter Skelter (:35)

29. A Universe For A Universe (2:24)

30. Funeral Pyre Straits (2:26)

31. The Mourning After (1:05)

32. We Are A Strange Loop (2:02)

33. The Vanishing Bishop (3:57)

34. Fringe Division (1:10)

a20791e135d456b5ef80bf_l.jpg

a20791e135d4575bb3a2e1_l.jpg

Source: http://www.varesesar...Season-3/Detail

Man these puns in the track titles are wonderfully awful. :P

Hot Brief Injection is the best cue title EVER

My So Called Strife is amazing as well

• 4 months later...

Chris Tilton's Fringe Season 3 - The Man I Slammed Comes Into His Own

Almost three years ago, you all may recall that I said some rather harsh words to Chris Tilton in the Sherlock Holmes thread. I basically told him, probably more harshly, that he was writing a baby version of Michael Giacchino's music. And I still stand by that assessment of his scores from that time (Black, Mercenaries).

The music was enjoyable, but at the end of the day you couldn't shake the feeling that Giacchino had sort of become an orchestral equivalent of Hans Zimmer with his minions or collaborators out there writing music largely in his voice. And just like Zimmer and co, daddy Giacchino was writing the main themes and the kids were playing with it, ala Black and Mercenaries.

Fast forward three years to today, and I decided to download the Fringe season 3 soundtrack on iTunes last night. I liked the samples so I went for it and gave it a listen on the way to work today. Let me make clear that I've seen a couple of episodes of Fringe, and I don't care for it much. So this is an assessment of the music as music.

So a curious thing happens when a minion begins to break away from his mentor and overlord. Finding one's own voice is the biggest challenge in just about anything you do. And that's usually what results in a whole lot of suck.

But not here.

What I hear in the Fringe 3 Soundtrack is a composer slowly developing an identity independent of his mentor, and it's exciting to hear. It's not all perfect, and there are Giacchinoisms still around, but the incidence rate of thinking you're listening to a Giacchino score have significantly gone down. But they are still there, like the Lost opening of "Reciprocity." I think this is the kind of stuff that'll disappear as he gains more independence from his current company of peers.

But overall the score develops really well, and while it is simple, it's not simple in the junk food way your generic Hollywood scores are today. It's thoughtfully simple, in the way only really talented composers can do. And it oozes a consistent atmosphere and a sense of storytelling, which is also something lacking in most other scores. Really nice integration of electronics into the mix as well.

So Chris, if you are reading this, keep up the good work. I think there's still more work to be done to differentiate yourself from the Giacchino gang. But you're on your way. So keep it up, you've got a lot of potential to be a great, so don't waste it writing music with someone else's language!

Oh and score rating: 8/10. Buy it!

Tilton's never sounded like a Giacchino clone to me. Do you have the Fringe Season 2 OST?

My favorite Tilton music is his score to Alcatraz. It's the best TV scoring since LOST! I REALLY hope it gets an official release, which is probably almost 100% unlikely considering the show was cancelled

The Cape got a 2CD release. I doubt much is impossible these days with scores.

Tilton's never sounded like a Giacchino clone to me. Do you have the Fringe Season 2 OST?

My favorite Tilton music is his score to Alcatraz. It's the best TV scoring since LOST! I REALLY hope it gets an official release, which is probably almost 100% unlikely considering the show was cancelled

I saw the first two episodes of Alcatraz (first episode... hmmm. Second episode... yes, it's absolute tosh) and I don't remember a note of the music. I don't even remember the main title music, which isn't greatly promising.

You can always hope for a promo I guess.

Yeah, I really wasn't struck much by the music personally, though that doesn't mean it will never get a release. I can think of music from plenty of shows I'd rather have before it though.

The Cape got a 2CD release. I doubt much is impossible these days with scores.

Bear McCreary had a huge established relationship with LLL, and is a bigger name that Tilton and Datzman. Plus it had the backing of Universal TV behind it, Alcatraz is Fox TV.

I saw the first two episodes of Alcatraz (first episode... hmmm. Second episode... yes, it's absolute tosh) and I don't remember a note of the music. I don't even remember the main title music, which isn't greatly promising.

Oh, the main title music was absolutely nothing special at all. The scoring was best in the action scenes, like the chase towards the end of the pilot. The show wasn't great, but the scoring was

• 3 weeks later...

yay!

FRINGE

Season 4

Music Composed by

CHRIS TILTON

FRINGE — the supernatural sci-fi crime drama from J.J. Abrams — is back with a fourth spellbinding season. After sacrificing himself to save both worlds, Peter (Joshua Jackson) mysteriously returns to ours. But he has been forgotten — by Olivia (Anna Torv), by Walter (John Noble), by everyone. It’s as if he never existed. At the same time, shapeshifters controlled by an unknown master begin an onslaught of destruction, and now the two former enemy universes must cooperate to defy a common foe. FRINGE’s thrilling fourth season continues the inspired series’ synthesis of astounding phenomena, baffling secrets and dramatic, character-driven stories. And in this season, events may prove that the most powerful force in our universe — or theirs — is not a doomsday device, not a paranormal force, but human love.

Chris Tilton returns ramping up his music’s drama and action as the FRINGE saga races toward its final season, which will premiere this fall on Fox on September 28.

Warner Home Video will release Season 4 of FRINGE on September 4.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 172 2

Release Date: 10/16/12

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1068/Fringe-cln--Season-4/Detail

• 1 month later...

a20791d13a0e07bfaf3886_l.jpg

a20791d13a0e0915f98e87_l.jpg

FRINGE

Season 4

Music Composed by

CHRIS TILTON

FRINGE — the supernatural sci-fi crime drama from J.J. Abrams — is back with a fourth spellbinding season. After sacrificing himself to save both worlds, Peter (Joshua Jackson) mysteriously returns to ours. But he has been forgotten — by Olivia (Anna Torv), by Walter (John Noble), by everyone. It’s as if he never existed. At the same time, shapeshifters controlled by an unknown master begin an onslaught of destruction, and now the two former enemy universes must cooperate to defy a common foe. FRINGE’s thrilling fourth season continues the inspired series’ synthesis of astounding phenomena, baffling secrets and dramatic, character-driven stories. And in this season, events may prove that the most powerful force in our universe — or theirs — is not a doomsday device, not a paranormal force, but human love.

Chris Tilton returns ramping up his music’s drama and action as the FRINGE saga races toward its final season, which will premiere this fall on Fox on September 28.

Warner Home Video will release Season 4 of FRINGE on September 4.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 172 2

Release Date: 10/16/12

iTunes Release: 10/09/12

Track List:

1. The Skill Of The Chase (1:06)

2. A Protest In September (1:47)

3. Born Again Fishin’ (2:27)

4. Where The Son Doesn’t Shine (2:58)

5. Don’t Follow The Money (4:11)

6. Shut Your Worm Hole (3:12)

7. Enemy Of My Enemy (2:16)

8. The House Of Forgotten Dreams (1:32)

9. The End Of All Things (6:22)

10. Together Again For The Very First Time (3:00)

11. Funeral While It Lasted (1:38)

12. To Betray Or Not To Betray (2:32)

13. The Future Is How (:52)

14. Letters Of Transit (3:03)

15. The Satanic Observers (4:01)

16. The Sacrificial Stance (1:42)

17. What’s The Etta With You? (1:08)

18. The Singularity Is Upon Us (3:37)

19. From One Universe To Another (2:33)

20. Shining A Satellite On The Problem (2:57)

21. Don’t Cross The Beams (2:00)

22. Telekinetic Energy (1:55)

23. Kicking Some Astrid (2:00)

24. Brave New World (:37)

25. The Time Traveler’s Strife (3:08)

26. Support Of Call (1:28)

27. Biblical Distortions (6:51)

28. Regeneration X (2:43)

29. The Nine Lives Of Olivia Dunham (2:11)

30. Henrietta (1:27)

http://www.varesesar...Season-4/Detail

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/21436/