If Universal re-released Jaws to the theatre would you pay to see it?

JoeinAR

Would you see Jaws if re-released to the theatre?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Would you see Jaws if re-released to the theatre?

Jaws was the very first film to reach the magical 100 million dollar mark at the boxoffice. It was a phenomenon like none before it.

It was a cathartic film that reached down to our deepest fears, our instinctual desire to avoid being consumed. It was a film trouble with technical issues, weather issue, and scripting issues. The director was almost fired and the cast and crew were not sure if the film would work. As fate would have it, everything ultimately worked. Whether by cosmic design, fate, karma, what have you the movie was a tremendous success both financially and artistically. Oh it has been dismissed by a few with little regard but as time as passed those who loved Jaws still do, those that have more recently discovered the film do as well. Add to the fact that Jaws has aged incredibly well.

As the time as passed people have discovered that Jaws is a tremendous ensemble film with a great cast. At it's core the three central figures are as good or better than most films that rely on similar casting. Schieder, Dreyfuss, and Shaw play well off of each other. They progress through an arc that both separates and binds them to each other. Spielberg was able to get strong performances when he was not consider an actors director. Then you look at Jaws as a directoral effort and you're amazed at what Spielberg accomplished. Because of problems he "improvised" and the results are a better film than he would have gotten if all the technical issues had not happened. The script, which was a work in progress, flows well with tremendous humor, adventure, and excitement. The standout mark of the film, other than John Williams act of perfection on the film, is Verna Fields outstanding film editing. She provided the film with a nearly seemless look combining the great shots from cinematographer Bill Butler. Because of this the film does achieve that summertime look that it needed.

It was the right film for the right time shown at the perfect time.

I hesitate to even discuss John's score. I've written so much about it here. My love for it has never wavered. It was the creme atop the dessert.

So back to the my original question, would you see Jaws if it were re-released to the theatre. No 3D, no extra scenes, just Jaws the way it was back in 75, restored of course to a pristine state, but nothing added, nothing new.?

It goes without saying that I would. How about you?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my brother Richard would go together. It'd be a pilgrimage.

seeing it on the big screen for me was an awesome experience and I'd love for this generation to have the same experience.

for years after my leg never dared dangle over the edge of the bed.

I had the same worry just sitting on the sofa with my mum. Legs up lad!

I always remember my mum telling me about when she went to see it in '75, in Liverpool. She said the whole cinema was screaming, like nothing she'd experienced before. She said every woman in the theatre watched through the cracks of their fingers.

Of course that stupid guy! Wait, that's ME! :shakehead:

Well seriously I have seen it in the theater back then. Amazing film.

Definitely going to buy the restored Blu-Ray and planning to buy at least 60 inch television to celebrate that release.

Definitely...one of those films I regret never having been able to see in the cinema. Will be first in the queue.

Spielberg says the Blu Ray will look better than the theatrical version

i watched the restoration clip and it convinced me to buy it

How can I not go and watch it?! This is JAWS we're talking about. Stupid question I say!

jks ofc ;)

But seriously, having never seen the film on the big screen, I would be the first guy in line if this were ever to happen. Just make sure its not 3D

Maybe I wouldn't pay to go see this film... but I would sneak in to go see it! How many people can say they have done that! Hahahaha!

Nah, of course I'd pay to go see it.

And sneak in another time, too.

I had the same worry just sitting on the sofa with my mum. Legs up lad!

I always remember my mum telling me about when she went to see it in '75, in Liverpool. She said the whole cinema was screaming, like nothing she'd experienced before. She said every woman in the theatre watched through the cracks of their fingers.

Damn straight, I'd see it - 3D, or no 3D!!!

BTW, Quint, I had to be a pedant, but it is highly unlikely that your mum (bless her little "Haines Her Way"s) saw "Jaws" in Liverpool in 1975. "Jaws" was released in the USA in June, of '75, but did not open in the UK until Boxing Day (December 26), '75, where it had an exclusive run in London, at the Plaza 1 and 2, Lower Regent Street. It only went "wide" toward to the Summer of '76, where it played opposite the still-popular "The Towering Inferno".

It's the same thing with "ANH". Anyone who says they saw "ANH" in the Summer of '77 in the UK, is...incorrect.

I think that she can be forgiven for mis-remembering something that would have happened 37 years ago, though it would have been much more recent when she began recalling her story to a young wide-eyed Quint.

Shut up and take my money!

+2. I would probably buy tickets to a show one night, then go back the next to see it again.

Actually, my mum never provided a date. I've always just assumed it would've been 1975 ever since she told me she, "went to see Jaws at the pictures when it came out."

Let me clarify my "yes" vote: I would be very happy to see "Jaws" at the theatre again, but I would appreciate seeing with its original mono sound mix. I'm not opposed to new 5.1 mixes of older films (the early Bond stuff sounds brilliant on dvd, as does "Vertigo") but "Jaws" deserves to be heard in wonderful mono. so as not to tamper with the the original Oscar-wining sound. I miss the phasing when the engine of the Orca blows up.

Oh. Quint, how can you ask that?!

Just put the DVD mono track onto an mp3 player and take it with you, problem solved.

Thanks, Chas., but that would interfere with my social life... ;)

Why's everyone so enamoured with the mono track anyway?

Oh, Quint, how can you ask that?! For one, it's brilliant. Two, it's what the director intended. Three, the 5.1 mix on the dvd isn't special. Even the score doesn't benefit from the surround spread (absence of multi-tracks, perhaps?). Would you colourize "Citizen Kane" just because you could?

For me, it's because it's the original tracks. Some sounds were rerecorded for the 5.1 mix (notably, for me, the sound of Brody's gun at the end) and while it may seem anal, those sounds are as ingrained into my childhood as deeply as any notes of John and Jerry's music.

I'm just not that much of an audiophile to be bothered. Nothing against the original mono mix (or those who love it), but I'm more looking forward to the new audio remaster for the Blu. It looks like they've been supremely respectful towards John's music, which excites me far more than an old mono recording which for me holds nothing much more than a quaint nostalgic quality.

I say clean everything up, polish like new till it's pristine. Bring it bang up to date. That doesn't mean making a b&w film colour, nor adding cg effects.

Yes I would go and see Jaws if it was brought back to theaters. Most definitely.