So, Rhino just re-issued the Towering Inferno LP....

Jay

21 minutes ago, jamesluckard said:

Where is it available in that format?

I kept putting off buying this, hoping there'd be a CD, but it's probably time to give in and buy it.

At least doing that should ENSURE a CD is announced the next day. :)

https://us.7digital.com/artist/john-williams/release/the-towering-inferno-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-3914942?f=20%2C19%2C12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 11:03 AM, Bespin said:

Sorry to bump this thread, but did you know that a 16-bit FLAC version of the Towering Inferno can be bought at some on-line stores?

For me, it sounds like an excellent rip from a mint vinyl. Possibly, the actual best source that we can have of this OST.

It's the same quality as a CD... so bought it and put it on a CD-R 😉

On 7/4/2018 at 11:07 AM, Bespin said:

At the time of this old Thread, the audio files were not offered in HD.

They now are.

Thanks!

That's not correct.  It was offered in lossless right away - just read the main post of this thread and follow the qobuz link.

Bespin was mistaken to say "HD" in his second post

It's only for sale in 16-bit, 44.1khz that I can see

The point is, this has been for sale in lossless since they day it was were released.  Nothing new happened with it recently.

For me the format of a CD is HD. Upper than that it's the format for the snobs and maniacs.

Has anyone compared tracks from this new rip, with the same tracks on the FSM 2001 CD? How do they compare?

(edit) Don't worry, I've been going through the posts. @Horner's Dynamic Range seems to like it. Yes PLANTING THE CHARGES+FINALE is brilliant.

On 10/30/2014 at 9:11 PM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

The sound quality is vastly superior to FSM, which actually sounds like pure shit by comparison.

On 11/2/2014 at 9:01 PM, King Mark said:

The sound of this digital release is terrible. An Architech's Dream is full of distortion . I think this is just directly recorded from a LP

On 11/2/2014 at 9:06 PM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Terrible? It isn't THAT bad!

On 11/2/2014 at 9:10 PM, King Mark said:

Some of the percussions sound more vibrant and clear on this release (like the xylophone), but the strings sound better on the FSM .I guess it's just the mix that's different

Anyways the distortion is there so it doesn't sound like it was re-mastered from the album masters

On 11/3/2014 at 6:15 AM, Bespin said:

I bought it.

Comparing with the bootleg version, it has more background noise, and that's a good news. Old vinyl restorations were far too much aggressive on the background noise and the recordings lost of their brightness.

Bad news it that there is a little default in the left channel at the very beginning of track 1 (maybe present on the original LP, has to be confirmed). This default is not present on the bootleg or maybe it was digitally corrected (that's pretty easy to do).

On 11/3/2014 at 10:10 PM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

This has surpassed the FSM CD and vinyl transfers for me. While I enjoy the complete score, I think the album is perfect and this is the best it's ever sounded, whether you're satisfied with the release or not. I honestly listened to the Main Title on repeat all day and it's never sounded better to my ears. I'll go as far as to say this is my favorite Williams release in years. Hey, it's music I actually wanted.