The Adventures of Tintin Original Soundtrack - Full Review posted on JWFan's main page

Jay

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long time lurker on this fine site, first time poster. Excellent review, Jason! Highly appreciated!

I would like to comment on two things, however:

1. "Snowy's Theme" is probably not just a concert arrangement. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is in fact the "lost" track "Picking Pockets", as Snowy's music is played during the opening of the film, which deals with a pickpocket picking pockets during a flea market. My guess is that the track simply got its title changed from "Picking Pockets" to "Snowy's Theme" during the production of the CD album.

2. Likewise, the final track "The Adventure Continues", is probably not just a concert arrangement but is probably the music heard during the end credits.

These are just my two educated cents... Keep up the good work for this great website!

But earlier tracklists had both Picking Pockets and Snowy's theme listed. And Snowy's theme really sounds like a concert arrangement, down to the ending and everything

But earlier tracklists had both Picking Pockets and Snowy's theme listed. And Snowy's theme really sounds like a concert arrangement, down to the ending and everything

Yes I agree. Also it had listed track time which was 2:30 whereas Snowy's Theme was always 2:10.

I wonder if Williams wrote another theme for Silk as well. And also why did he want to cut that piece from the album?

The track "Snowy's Theme" is very likely a concert arrangement based on existing cues featuring Snowy.

A portion of "Snowy's Chase" is included, after all, slightly altered.

Yes I agree. Also it had listed track time which was 2:30 whereas Snowy's Theme was always 2:10.

I wonder if Williams wrote another theme for Silk as well. And also why did he want to cut that piece from the album?

It's placement was unusual to start with, between the main titles and a concert suite

I think it's a possiblity that the cue was dropped from the movie, as well. Maybe it was scored with music originally written for another scene, or it was decided that the scene in question needed no music after all. (Or maybe it was decided to use a song or something.)

No, I don't think so. Stuff like this has happened in the past. The track is in the movie, I'm sure, it was just dropped as sort of cd presentation decision

No, I don't think so. Stuff like this has happened in the past. The track is in the movie, I'm sure, it was just dropped as sort of cd presentation decision

Well, I still think it's a possibility (although not a certainty, of course).

Why not?

Is there any evidence to the contrary?

Well, I still think it's a possibility (although not a certainty, of course).

Why not?

Is there any evidence to the contrary?

A movie of this sort, which has probably been edited for a very long time now, should have very little to none unused music. Exclusion from the cd nas nothing to do with its use in the movie

A movie of this sort, which has probably been edited for a very long time now, should have very little to none unused music. Exclusion from the cd nas nothing to do with its use in the movie

Why was it decided to include it on the album at first and then later dropped?

Again, I am looking for a possible reason. It's possible that, at the last minute, that cue was dropped from movie.

I doubt it was just a random decision... especially since they could just as easily have made PP Track 4 or 5, etc. instead of Track 2. There was ample space on the CD, after all.

Why was it decided to include it on the album at first and then later dropped?

Again, I am looking for a possible reason. It's possible that, at the last minute, that cue was dropped from movie.

I doubt it was just a random decision... especially since they could just as easily have made PP Track 4 or 5, etc. instead of Track 2. There was ample space on the CD, after all.

Well it must have been on the initial CD assembly and then Williams decided that he didn't want to include it for one reason or another. Artistic license. Happened with I Am the Senate track from RotS in 2005. We would be very much blissfully ignorant of this Picking Pockets' inclusion if Sony had not sent out preliminary track lists that belonged to the first assembly of the music.

Oh and Jason. Editorial note: Change manor to manner in two places in the review!

Long time lurker on this fine site, first time poster. Excellent review, Jason! Highly appreciated!

I would like to comment on two things, however:

1. "Snowy's Theme" is probably not just a concert arrangement. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is in fact the "lost" track "Picking Pockets", as Snowy's music is played during the opening of the film, which deals with a pickpocket picking pockets during a flea market. My guess is that the track simply got its title changed from "Picking Pockets" to "Snowy's Theme" during the production of the CD album.

2. Likewise, the final track "The Adventure Continues", is probably not just a concert arrangement but is probably the music heard during the end credits.

These are just my two educated cents... Keep up the good work for this great website!

Sorry Swingsprout, but that's just not possible. "Snowy's Theme" is 100% a concert arrangement of his theme, and "Picking Pockets" was a separate track that was dropped from the international versions of the OST. No one knows why it was dropped, and no one knows if it will turn up on the US version of the OST.

As for The Adventure Continues, yes, it is definitely both a concert arrangement as well as being the start of the end credits!

Wow, that review sucks.

The reviewer reminds me of Clemmesen. Only worse!

Wow you have an axe to grind with this Jason guy BloodBoal? Where is this coming from? Are you suffering from JW withdrawal or are unhappy that you made the vow of non-listening concerning the samples?

Sorry Swingsprout, but that's just not possible. Snowy's theme is 100% a concert arrangement of his theme, and Picking Pockets was a separate track that was dropped from the international versions of the OST. No one knows why it was dropped, and no one knows if it will turn up on the US version of the OST.

As for The Adventure Continues, yes, it is definitely both a concert arrangement as well as being the start of the end credits!

Do you know what is included in the End Credits btw aside from the Adventure Continues?

I doubt such a minor character would have had his own motif. I don't hear anything in "The Capture Of Mr. Silk" that would lead me to think there is one, either.

We still don't know if it was John Williams that chose to cut that track, or someone else. It's all just speculation.

A lot of cues that were dropped from certain movies ended up being on the OST. That's certainly not the reason why Picking Pockets was removed. The reasons of this, dare I say, bold move from Williams are obscure to say the least...

:rolleyes:

You don't know the meaning of the word "possibility" do you?

Wow, that review sucks.

Wow you have an axe to grind with this Jason guy BloodBoal? Where is this coming from? Are you suffering from JW withdrawal or are unhappy that you made the vow of non-listening concerning the samples?

Maybe he just forgot to include an emoticon. Like this: :P

The track "Snowy's Theme" is very likely a concert arrangement based on existing cues featuring Snowy.

A portion of "Snowy's Chase" is included, after all, slightly altered.

Exactly :)

A lot of cues that were dropped from certain movies ended up being on the OST. That's certainly not the reason why Picking Pockets was removed. The reasons of this, dare I say, bold move from Williams are obscure to say the least...

:rolleyes:

You don't know the meaning of the word "possibility" do you?

Wow, that review sucks.

Maybe he just forgot to include an emoticon. Like this: :P

I know BloodBoal's brand of humor. I was joking there myself Josh. :)

I know BloodBoal's brand of humor. I was joking there myself Josh. :)

Oh, in that case :lol:

Btw, speaking of Clemmenson, what's up with him? Is he still writing reviews? (I hated his reviews, btw. Didn't he give Presumed Innocent 5 stars, and Harry Potter 4 stars? Moron!)

It truly is impression how many different ideas are spread out over the CD. It's enough material to expand into the scores for like 6 different films

Which of course leads naturally to the question...

Will JW be involved in the 2nd and 3rd movies as well (provided they are made)? I for one sure hope so! JW really seems to be in his element here.

Which of course leads naturally to the question...

Will JW be involved in the 2nd and 3rd movies as well (provided they are made)? I for one sure hope so! JW really seems to be in his element here.

I hope so. if not scoring the whole movie, hopefully he can provide themes for new characters and then someone else can write a complete scored based on those themes as well as all the themes from the first movie

Do you know what is included in the End Credits btw aside from the Adventure Continues?

I don't have a clue. I haven't seen the movie. Most likely Snowy's Theme, then maybe something else.

Best case scenario is that it includes music from the score that wasn't on the OST, so we can easily rip it.

I could see Michael Giacchino, Howard Shore, Williams Ross, and Conrad Pope all as possibilities. I guess it would depend more on Jackson than Spielberg, though.

I could see Michael Giacchino, Howard Shore, Williams Ross, and Conrad Pope all as possibilities. I guess it would depend more on Jackson than Spielberg, though.

Conrad pope, for a big franchise film? Are you out of your mind?

Peter Jackson has worked with many different composers in the past, and since this John Williams we are talking about, I really doubt he wouldn't want him on board

Peter Jackson has worked with many different composers in the past, and since this John Williams we are talking about, I really doubt he wouldn't want him on board

This statement really doesn't make sense, you know.

I agree that PJ would more than likely have no problem using John Williams, but we're talking about a film coming out in 2014 or so here, and there's no guarantee John Williams will still be active at that point.

This statement really doesn't make sense, you know.

Why is that? Since PJ works with different composers all the time, he would bring a "regular collaborator" on board to score the movie

Why is that? Since PJ works with different composers all the time, he would bring a "regular collaborator" on board to score the movie

Huh? Are you kidding me? What does this mean?

He works with different composers all the time so he would refuse to work with JW a second time? That what are you saying?

Well, for PJ, JW is not a regular collaborator... ;)

And anyway, this is a unique situation, involving Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and John Williams.

If Spielberg and Jackson co-direct the 3 movie, it's practially certain that JW will come back too (yes, yes, provided he is still not in retirement). So it'd be pretty stupid to have a different composer just for the second movie.

He works with different composers all the time so he would refuse to work with JW a second time?

PJ has never worked with JW before.

This whole thread is making less and less sense.

I was only asking him what he meant.

No, it's only Merkel who doesn't really make sense (no offense). ;)

I keep writing "would", when I mean to write "wouldn't". It's my fault. The bottom line, since PJ doesn't really have a composer with whom he works all the time, it is safe to assume that with Spielberg producing (and JW available), John Williams will return to score the second movie