New Imperial March variation in new Force Awakens TV Spot

crocodile

a very well-made adaptation by a talented musician

or:

John Williams on a bad day.

Yeah, I really hope that this was just the work of some nameless trailer music composer and that the first real glimpse of John Williams' score will be more outwardly impressive.

On an unrelated note, was the teaser #2 music ever officially confirmed as Williams'? Other than the brass interlude in the middle, it didn't really feel like his music to me. The orchestral crescendo at the end especially didn't sound quite right.

I realise that every second of music at this point is like a few precious gasps of air in a sunken and flooded ship but do we really have enough in this 15 seconds to start questioning whether we have Williams on a bad day? Lets not judge it yet.

Tbh that whole thing with the lightsabers turning on in time with the music came across a bit kitsch...

I think you might not like Star Wars. Or John Williams.

Regarding Star Wars, I like it and am excited for it, but not to the point of "pre-cum"(???)... I'm a bit of a realist/pessimist and can't escape the thought that it will be a let-down in the end.

As for John Williams, he's dreadful. In fact, I don't even know what I'm doing on here.

In all seriousness though, those horns at the beginning were most PROBABLY not put there by Williams. For a man who puts effort into considering the number of violins in different divisi parts to get the right sound, I can't believe he would just slam marcato horns in the mid-register then decrease their volume by 90% in the final mix. That's terrible orchestral writing. So I think there's definitely some outward influence here.

Tbh that whole thing with the lightsabers turning on in time with the music came across a bit kitsch...

I think you might not like Star Wars. Or John Williams.

Regarding Star Wars, I like it and am excited for it, but not to the point of "pre-cum"(???)... I'm a bit of a realist/pessimist and can't escape the thought that it will be a let-down in the end.

As for John Williams, he's dreadful. In fact, I don't even know what I'm doing on here.

In all seriousness though, those horns at the beginning were most PROBABLY not put there by Williams. For a man who puts effort into considering the number of violins in different divisi parts to get the right sound, I can't believe he would just slam marcato horns in the mid-register then decrease their volume by 90% in the final mix. That's terrible orchestral writing. So I think there's definitely some outward influence here.

I found it pretty obvious that there was a lot of digital tinkering going on with the music just to give it shape for a 15 second Instagram pic. I don't think the actual piece will sound much like it does here at all.

I found it pretty obvious that there was a lot of digital tinkering going on with the music just to give it shape for a 15 second Instagram pic. I don't think the actual piece will sound much like it does here at all.

Yes, but I don't believe that all the instruments you hear in there were written by Williams.

I wish I had inside information and no NDA, or any musical knowhow whatsoever, so I could join in the chorus of expert opinions about these 15 seconds. Alas. I only know what's epic and what's not.

Personally i don't think JW will do a re-arrangement of the imperial march as simple as this. I believe he will blend a feel of it into the first order theme very much like he did for Anakin's theme, were it was a complete new piece, with just the odd reference blended into the new theme. It definitely is a rethinking of the imperial march but i find it to obvious and simple for JW to have written.

Especially the end crescendo, it feels edited to fit the end of the 15seconds, not a natural crescendo.

It's unlikely that the Imperial March will have any serious presence in the film or score, and it's being used in the TV spot strictly for nostalgia.

This is what I'm hoping for. Williams is talented enough to compose an entirely new theme for the First Order without rehashing the Imperial March.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new First Order music did more than just hint at The Imperial March due to them being a carbon copy of the Empire and seeing Darth Vader as a martyr. (going off what JJ has been saying in interviews.)

I can imagine the First Order March being something like this;

https://youtu.be/YuCP11WAyz8?t=1m50s

I remember hoping that we'd get something like that for the Anakin v Obi Wan dual in ROTS. It sounds like hints of Across the Stars in there which would have been quite fitting, given the cause of Anakin's fall in the films.

I can imagine the First Order March being something like this;

https://youtu.be/YuCP11WAyz8?t=1m50s

I remember hoping that we'd get something like that for the Anakin v Obi Wan dual in ROTS. It sounds like hints of Across the Stars in there which would have been quite fitting, given the cause of Anakin's fall in the films.

Totally agree, it would have been brilliant.