'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' SCORE speculation

Ricard

Well, I must say I was expecting something else... in terms of the music that is. The main title at the end felt... off to me. I guess I was expecting more of a "Star Wars" sound but this was just generic new music. Short teaser, I know. Can any confirm if Williams really wrote this music?

I guess I was expecting more of a "Star Wars" sound but this was just generic new music. Short teaser, I know. Can any confirm if Williams really wrote this music?

Are you kidding? The 'Generic' stuff was pure Williams. He's using his favourite pitch classes. Loads of 014s.

Is it just my pc, or the bass in this teaser is at 200%? So loud that it distorts the sound.

There sounds like some kind of synth sub bass doubling the cellos/contrabasses/timpani in the Main Title. Either that or it's been heavily EQ'd.

I meant generic for Williams and Star Wars. It works well for the teaser and makes it a little more exciting. Not a lot he can do in such a short amount of time.

It sounded like you were suggesting that someone else could have written this.

I meant generic for Williams and Star Wars. It works well for the teaser and makes it a little more exciting. Not a lot he can do in such a short amount of time.

It sounded like you were suggesting that someone else could have written this.

I meant to suggest that it seems like this could have been written for anything (aside from the Main Title, of course), not necessarily Star Wars.

The great thing is that it's scored like a piece of true film, and not with generic random "epic" trailer shite.

Yes!

To my ears it sounds like something in the vein of Williams kinetically heavy action music from the Prequels wedded with that explosion of the main title theme at the end (which was very very nostalgic despite by reservations about this film).

It sounds pretty "generic post 2000's John Williams franchise music"

Williams bashing bolshy! The music was AWESOME!

The main title has been so overplayed in the films, in the media, etc. that I honestly don't see how you can get a nostalgia rush out of it.

I have not listened to it in months.

Scandinavians are sucker for the SW theme.

Yeah, Scandinavians suck.

Good thing I am not tehcnically from Scandinavia then. ;)

Oh, my. Months! How did you achieve such a feat?

Unbelievable willpower and SW music burnout help a lot.

So are there disconsolate JWFans out there now slicing their wrists when this teaser music was not up to par of Hedwig's Theme?

I'm still kind of sketchy about the film, though. I felt a slight nostalgic tingle when the fanfare played at the end, but now the trailer has me hoping for minimal lens flares in the film.

Por que, Abrams? Por que?

Seriously, am I the only one who got WAR OF THE WORLDS vibes from the first part of the trailer (I'm talking about Williams' music, of course)?

Well I would say Prequels action music too but it is in the same vein as WotW sure.

Seriously, am I the only one who got WAR OF THE WORLDS vibes from the first part of the trailer (I'm talking about Williams' music, of course)?

Well I would say Prequels action music too but it is in the same vein as WotW sure.

Well, War Of The Worlds sounds like the prequels music (mostly AOTC and ROTS), so there is that!

Well, War Of The Worlds sounds like the prequels music (mostly AOTC and ROTS), so there is that!

That's a good point, but the whole 'deep ostinato' thing seems more refined and purified in WOTW -- most consistenly used as an approach and style. It's a dark landscape which Williams has rarely visited before or since in his film scores.

I don't love or hate the music, but I'm always glad to hear new music from Williams. I was hoping some of the rumors were right about the Force theme being reworked. Is it known if Williams has or is going to write music for the trailer as well?

Argh it's moments and threads like these that remind me why Williams must return to GD...

Anyways, as I said in the other thread. Couldn't hear much in a loud bus. But was like the polychordal stuff in the beginning, but thought the resolving chord was a weird note to end on (no pun intended).

Argh it's moments and threads like these that remind me why Williams must return to GD...

Anyways, as I said in the other thread. Couldn't hear much in a loud bus. But was like the polychordal stuff in the beginning, but thought the resolving chord was a weird note to end on (no pun intended).

GD?

I don't think this small piece of music is necessarily indicative of the what the score will sound like. I'm wondering if Williams has seen enough to even start writing? I'm guessing the score will sound more PT-like than OT-like, for obvious reasons.

Added 'score speculation' to the topic title.

What does the teaser tell us about the new score? Can those 80 seconds actually predict anything?

I think it predicts that there will be WAR OF THE WORLDS-like music in it. But also -- hopefully -- a wealth of thematic material that he probably hasn't written yet.