SCORE: --- THEME --- The Force Theme

SF1_freeze

SCORE: - THEME - The Force Theme

post-2994-0-99735300-1341943413_thumb.jp post-2994-0-14624600-1341944052_thumb.jp post-2994-0-99735300-1341943413_thumb.jp

Credit for the Force Theme Archive i used as the basis for this thread goes to the admin emeritus General Kenobi from the TheForce.net board. Thanks for your work!

Of all the themes and melodies John Williams ever composed the Force Theme is among the very best and famous ones. What makes it truly unique is the fact that it single-handedly is the most developed Williams theme ever.

No other one has gone through so many permutations, has evoked so many different feelings and is still as listenable as at the first day. You strangely don’t get tired of this theme and this is proven by its extensive use throughout the whole Star Wars saga.

The theme appears in all six Star Wars films and pretty much all the Star Wars games. It is also known as Ben Kenobi’s theme and is generally regarded as theme for the Jedi and the Force itself.

In 1977 John Williams himself described the Force Theme (according to the liner notes of the LP release) as follows:

l think of Ben Kenobi's theme as reflecting both him and, also, the Jedi Knights and the Old Republic that he remembers. It also serves to represent the Force, the spiritual-philosophical belief of the Jedi Knights, and the Old Republic. Like the Princess' Theme, it has a fairy tale aspect rather than a futuristic aspect. There is a lot of English horn in Ben's Theme which is often heard under dialogue. At other times, the melody becomes the heroic march of the Jedi Knights.

Some interesting facts:

There is no real developed concert suite of this theme. This is surprising considering its high importance in the Star Wars saga. Nevertheless the theme appears (without its B parts) in some of the other suites. The question remains… Why has John Williams not written a proper concert suite for his most developed theme ever?

For three scenes of high emotional impact John Williams expanded the Force Theme with differing B-parts.

("For my ally is the Force." [Yoda And The Force, 0:58, 64sec]; "I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatooine." [The Rebel Fleet, 0:03, 51sec];

Luke lights Vader's funeral pyre [Light Of The Force, 2:13, 52sec])

I counted 96 appearances in all six Star Wars scores consisting of 1606sec or 26min46sec. (Of course if i may have missed an appearance or two so feel free to contact me...)

In addition there are 15 original theme appearances in the Star Wars Games and Multimedia Projects consisting of 218sec or 3min36sec.

(I used a Force theme archive file from a fellow Star Wars fan as a starting point. The track titles in this list refer to the 1997 SE RCA releases for the Original Trilogy, to the Ultimate Edition for Episode 1 and the OST albums for Episode 2 and 3. Unreleased theme statements remain without corresponding track titles till an official release.

The tracks are listed chronologically in appearance with Filmquote or Description [Track Title, Start time of the theme statement, Duration] - Short musical attributes like Mystical, Forceful,..)

A New Hope (SE): 22 Appearances / 365sec / 6min5sec

Leia programs R2 [imperial Attack, 2:21, 9sec] – Mystical, Low Key

Binary Sunset [binary Sunset, 2:21, 31sec] – Epic, Poignant, Full Orchestra

He's nowhere in sight. [binary Sunset, 3:27, 37sec] – Mystical, Poignant

Come here my little friend. [Attack Of The Sand People, 2:47, 16sec] – Dark

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. [Tales Of A Jedi Knight, 0:09, 35sec] – Ethereal, Mystical

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. [Learn About The Force, 2:11, 16sec] – Ethereal

Learn about the Force, Luke. [Learn About The Force, 3:53, 17sec] – Noble, Low Key

Wait, Luke, it's too dangerous! [burning Homestead, 0:58, 7sec] – Sad, Epic, Fast and Forceful, Dramatic

Luke finds Owen's and Beru's bodies [burning Homestead, 1:30, 12sec] – Sad, Epic, Dramatic, Full Orchestra

I want to come with you to Alderaan. [Mos Eisley Spaceport, 0:31, 12sec] – Sad, Thoughtful,

Move along, move along. [Mos Eisley Spaceport, 1:53, 5sec] – Low Key

Chewie, get us outta here! [The Millennium Falcon, 1:54, 9sec] – Forceful, Fast

Looks like an Imperial cruiser. [imperial Cruiser Pursuit, 2:16, 16sec] – Supportive, In Counterpoint to Action

This is ridiculous. [The Death Star/The Stormtroopers, 1:46, 14sec] – Sad, Slow

Obi-Wan's death [ben Kenobi's Death, 0:00, 6sec] – Sad, Low Key

I can't believe he's gone. [TIE Fighter Attack, 1:01, 30sec ] – Sad, Low Key

I'm gonna cut across the axis and try and draw their fire. [The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 1:11, 7sec] – Militaristic, Epic, Short

This is Red Five, I'm going in. [The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 1:31, 11sec] - Militaristic, Epic

Watch your back Luke, watch your back. [The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 3:40, 15sec] – Militaristic, Epic, In Counterpoint to Action

I can't shake him. [The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 4:01, 15sec] - Militaristic, Epic, In Counterpoint to Action

Use the Force, Luke. [The Battle Of Yavin: Use The Force, 6:49, 13sec] – Ethereal, Epic, Triumphant

Medal Ceremony [The Throne Room, 0:17, 32sec] – Triumphant, Epic, Forceful, Militaristic, Full Orchestra

The Empire Strikes Back (SE): 15 Appearances / 325sec / 5min25sec

Luke gets his lightsaber [The Wampa's Lair, 1:07, 12sec] - Mystical, Dark

You will go to the Dagobah system. [Vision of Obi-Wan, 4:52, 20sec] - Ethereal, Dark

Begin retreat. Fall Back. [The Battle Of Hoth: Beneath The AT-AT, 10:21, 19sec] - Epic, Dramatic, Full Orchestra

Something familiar about this place [Arrival On Dagobah, 4:35, 10sec] - Mystical, Low Key

Much anger in him. Like his father. [Jedi Master Revealed, 0:09, 18sec] – Noble

He is too old. Yes, too old to begin the training. [Jedi Master Revealed, 1:27, 15sec] - Noble

I'm not afraid. [Jedi Master Revealed, 1:49, 8sec] - Low Key

*not used in film [The Training Of A Jedi Knight, 1:06, 14sec] – Mystical, Noble

For my ally is the Force. [Yoda And The Force, 0:58, 64sec] – Ethereal, Noble, Poignant, B - Part

Through the Force, things you will see... [City In The Clouds, 2:23, 11sec] – Mystical

Even Yoda cannot see their fate. [Lando's Palace, 1:42, 13sec] – Ethereal

And I'll return. I promise. [Lando's Palace, 3:17, 31sec] – Poignant, Sad, Full Orchestra

*not used in film [Departure Of Boba Fett, 10:58, 12sec] – Dramatic, Full Orchestra, Forceful, Epic

Leia, hear me... Leia. [Rescue From Cloud City, 3:21, 27sec] – Ethereal, Epic, Dramatic, Full Orchestra

I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatooine. [The Rebel Fleet, 0:03, 51sec] – Playful, Poignant, Epic, Full Orchestra, B - Part

Return Of The Jedi (SE): 19 Appearances / 331sec / 5min31sec

The rancor picks up Luke [The Den Of The Rancor, 5:18, 5sec] – Dramatic, Militaristic

Strong am I with the Force, but not that strong. [The Death Of Yoda, 2:52, 16sec] – Sad, Noble

Your father he is." [The Death Of Yoda, 4:33, 25sec] – Sad, Dark

Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. [The Death Of Yoda, 6:15, 15sec] - Mystical

I can't do it R2 [The Death of Yoda 7:33, 13sec] - Sad, Mystical

*not used in film [Obi-Wan's Revelation, 8:57, 21sec] – Low Key

*not used in film [Obi-Wan's Revelation, 9:45, 14sec] – Low Key, Mystical

Vader's on that ship. [shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor, 2:03, 16sec] – Dark

I'm endangering the mission. [shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor, 2:41, 18sec] – Dark, Mystical

Luke levitates C3PO [The Levitation, 0:19, 20sec] – Mystical, Ethereal

3PO tells of Obi-Wan/Vader duel [Threepio's Bedtime Story, 1:56, 4sec] – Low Key

Leia, do you remember your mother--your real mother? [brother And Sister, 0:29, 17sec] – Low Key, Poignant, Sad

You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. [brother And Sister, 4:50, 10sec] – Low Key

Obi-Wan has taught you well. [battle Of Endor II: The Duel Begins, 1:20, 7sec] – Noble, Low Key

There is no conflict. [battle Of Endor II: The Duel Begins, 2:16, 7sec] – Noble, Low Key

I am a Jedi. [battle Of Endor II: The Dark Side Beckons, 6:30, 9sec] – Noble, Dark

Vader lifts the Emperor [battle Of Endor II: The Emperor's Death, 9:09, 10sec] – Dark, Epic, Full Orchestra, Dramatic

*not used in film [Light Of The Force, 1:19, 52sec] - Sad, Poignant, Full Orchestra, Epic, Forceful

Luke lights Vader's funeral pyre [Light Of The Force, 2:13, 52sec] – Sad, Poignant, Full Orchestra, B - Part

Due to extensive editing and non complete soundtrack releases of the Prequels this is just a preliminary list which is subject to change as soon as the complete scores are released.

Tracked statements are with one exception not included in this list.

The Phantom Menace (UE): 11 Appearances / 143sec / 2min23sec

Qui-Gon melts the blast doors [Fighting The Destroyer Droids, 1:02, 4sec] – Dramatic, Epic, Full Orchestra

The Force is unusually strong in him. [shmi And Qui-Gon Talk, 1:38, 27sec] – Poignant

Feel, don't think. [Qui-Gon's Prep Talk, 0:35, 13sec] – Low Key

The life of a Jedi [Anakin is Free, 1:14, 13sec] – Ethereal, Poignant

Don't look back. [Anakin Is Free, 4:48, 13sec] – Ethereal, Poignant, Epic, Full Orchestra

Introducing Obi Wan [Qui-Gon and Darth Maul meet, 1:37, 5sec] - Ethereal

Fear is the path to the dark side. [Anakin's Test, 1:16, 15sec] – Low Key, Mystical

May the Force be with you. [Qui-Gon's Mission, 1:35, 5sec] – Dark

Now this is pod-racing. [The Tide Turns, 0:57, 23sec] – Epic, Militaristic, Triumphant, Full Orchestra, Unique Counterline (Duel of the Fates)

Obi-Wan senses Qui-Gon's lightsaber [The Death Of Darth Maul, 1:51, 14sec] - Dark

What will happen to me now? [Funeral Of Qui-Gon, 0:26, 8sec] – Sad

Attack Of The Clones (OST): 7 Appearances / 110sec / 1min50sec

* not used in film; Palpatine's Plotting [unused, 30sec] - Dark, Mystical, Low Key

Anakin and Padme depart for Naboo [Departing Coruscant, 0:49, 12sec] – Noble

Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is. [Yoda And The Younglings, 3:10, 9sec] – Sad, Mystical

Anakin, I won't be long. [Return To Tatooine, 3:10, 21sec] - Epic, Poignant, Full Orchestra

Anakin battles Geonosians on the conveyor belt [Confrontation With Count Dooku And Finale, 0:09, 12sec] – Dramatic

Anakin Force-throws droid parts at Geonosians [unreleased, 8sec] – Dramatic, Forceful

She would do her duty. [Love Pledge And The Arena, 7:40, 18sec] – Epic, Dramatic, Full Orchestra

Revenge Of The Sith (OST): 22 Appearances / 332sec / 5min32sec

Approaching the Coruscant Space Battle [star Wars, The Revenge Of The Sith, 1:38, 27sec] – Militaristic, Epic, Full Orchestra, Forceful

* not used in film [Grievous and the Droids, 3:13, 6sec] – Low Key

Anakin pilots the Invisible Hand through the atmosphere [tracked from The Tide Turns, 0:57, 23sec] – Epic, Militaristic, Triumphant, Full Orchestra, Unique Counterline (Duel of the Fates)

Mourn them, do not [Anakin's Dream, 3:31, 24sec] – Dark, Low Key

Good relations with the Wookiees, I have. [Palpatine's Teachings, 2:59, 14sec] - Dark

Obi-Wan leaves for Utapau [unreleased, 34sec] – Epic, Full Orchestra, Militaristic

Obi-Wan arrives at Utapau [unreleased, 9sec] – Playful, Full Orchestra

Obi-Wan riding the Boga [General Grievous, 0:38, 8sec] – Dark, Percussive

Anakin jumps in an airspeeder [unreleased, 9sec] – Dark, Dramatic

Anakin pleads with Mace to spare Palpatine [unreleased, 17sec] – Dark, Dissonant

Yoda finishes killing clone troopers [Enter Lord Vader, 3:43, 6sec] - Dramatic

Obi-Wan/Anakin force push [Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, 3:21, 13sec] – Chorus, Full Orchestra, Dramatic, Epic, Forceful

I have failed you, Anakin. [battle Of The Heroes, 1:56, 15sec] – Chorus, Full Orchestra, Dramatic, Dark

Obi-Wan arrives at Polis Massa [unreleased, 12sec] – Uplifting, Full Orchestra, Poignant

Padmé dies [The Birth Of The Twins And Padmé's Destiny, 1:54, 5sec] - Sad

Vader's rage [The Birth Of The Twins And Padmé's Destiny, 2:53, 5sec] – Sad, Unique Counter Line (Funeral Theme)

To Tatooine, to his family send him. [unreleased, 14sec] – Poignant

Training I have for you. [unreleased, 15sec] – Mystical

Star Destroyer bridge [unreleased, 8sec] – Sad, Poignant

Arrival at Alderaan [unreleased, 5sec] – String Transition

Obi-Wan gives Luke to Beru [A New Hope and End Credits, 0:51, 28sec] – Poignant, Full Orchestra, Epic

* not used in film [A New Hope and End Credits, 7:04, 35sec] - Triumphant, Epic, Militaristic, Full Orchestra

Appearances in Star Wars Games and Multimedia Projects

Over the years the Force Theme also appeared in several Star Wars games and multimedia projects. Most of them were recorded with full orchestra. Shadows of the Empire counts as the best of the bunch. Composer Joel McNeely recorded about 50 minutes of music with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and a 150 - piece chorus and incorporated the Imperial March and the Force Theme at appropriate moments.

The Kotor games were praised for their good and versatile music. Jeremy Soule, the composer of Kotor 1, had to use an 8 megabit per second MIDI system. Regardless of the limitations he managed to compose an epic and worthy score with almost exclusively new thematic material. Mark Griskey on the other hand recorded his music for Kotor 2 and both Force Unleashed games with full orchestra. For the Force Unleashed games he decided to include a larger amount of established Williams themes. The Imperial March, the Force Theme, the Rebel fanfare as well as some lesser known Williams material like the Kamino motif all appear throughout the scores.

In 2011 Bioware and Lucasarts released the very ambitious "The Old Republic" MMORPG. For this game a team of composers recorded over 4.5 hours of original music performed by the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra and choir. Mark Griskey once again was one of the Lead composers. The team incorporated several Williams themes like Yoda's Theme or the Force Theme.

The tracks are listed chronologically in appearance with Filmquote or Description [Track Title, Start time of the theme statement, Duration] - Short musical attributes like Mystical, Forceful,..)

Shadows of the Empire (Soundtrack Album): 1 Appearance / 32sec

[Night Skies, 3:10, 32 sec] – Noble, Full Orchestra, Epic

Knights of the Old Republic (Complete Score): 1 Appearance / 19sec

[bastila Shan’s Theme, 0:50, 19 sec] – Ethereal, Poignant

Knights of the Old Republic II (Complete Score): 1 Appearance / 13sec

[Lightside, 0:00, 13 sec] – Ethereal, Upbeat

The Force Unleashed (Promo): 5 Appearances / 38sec

[General Kota and the Control Room, 2:52, 11sec] – Militaristic, Full Orchestra

[Drexl’s Raiders, 2:18, 5 sec] – Forceful, Dramatic

[infiltrating the Junk Temple, 1:42, 6 sec] – Militaristic, Full Orchestra

[Maris and the Bull Rancor, 1:50, 13sec] – Percussive, Dark

[Redemption, 1:28, 3 sec] – Low Key, Short

The Force Unleashed II (Promo): 1 Appearance / 24sec

[Discovering Dagobah and the Cave, 6:29, 24sec] – Full Orchestra, Noble

The Old Republic (Promo): 1 Appearance / 6sec

[Tython the Wellspring, 2:49, 6sec] - Poignant, Thematic Variation

The Old Republic (Collector's Edition Soundtrack): 5 Appearances / 1min26sec

[Justice, The Jedi Knight, 1:25, 4sec] - Short Transition

[Justice, The Jedi Knight, 3:57, 7sec] - Militaristic, Dark

[Peace, The Jedi Consular, 0:00, 38sec] - Full Orchestra, Noble

[Peace, The Jedi Consular, 3:15, 31sec] - Full Orchestra, Dark, Mystical

[Peace, The Jedi Consular, 4:00, 6sec] - Dark, Mystical

post-2994-0-50234200-1341943138_thumb.jp

Update: Edited to include additional Force Theme statements (Thanks to oierem)

Included parts of JW 1977 liner notes and further explanations for the tracklists

Started to include several Force Theme appearances in Star Wars games and Multimedia projects

Added Force Theme Appearances from the Old Republic game score

It certainly is one of his most maleable themes, although I don't consider it to be his best. I love the workout it gets in RotS. Some truly inspired variations in that film score.

Wow, really cool thread! I've been wondering how many times this theme has appeared in the whole saga. It is a theme that has always been so close to my heart.

I personally like the haunting, low key statements. Some have given me goosebumps.

My favorites are ANH: reveal that Bens name is obiwan, TPM just before podrace.

A great listing of the appearances of the theme which is perhaps my favourite in the whole SW saga. Williams captured the intangible concept of the mystical energy field and the wisdom of Obi Wan Kenobi so perfectly with his music. Perhaps the testament to the effectiveness of this musical motif is that it alone has been featured in all six films, in the score proper, not just in the main titles like Luke's theme. As you list there are so many wonderful renditions of this theme throuhout the films and I am hard pressed to name my absolute favourite.

Williams to his credit used it to good effect in the Prequels, assigning it to the concept of the Force, the Jedi in general and Obi Wan Kenobi in particular. Especially in Episode III the theme seems to comment on the actions of Obi Wan more than in the previous films, following his departures and arrivals and underscoring his actions more, Williams dropping subtle variations in many places like on the Grievous' ship and when he has arrived to Utapau.

One of the most memorable passages in Episode III is the Force theme that underscores the duel where Anakin and Obi Wan use Force push against eachother. Here Williams' music really IS the Force as without it the whole section of the scene would be without power, the choir and especially the theme making the Force nearly tangible.

One of my favorite variations is the militaristic one heard after the main titles of RotS. Also the one scoring Obi-Wan's arrival to Utapau (which is officially unreleased).

My favourite variations would be in no particular order

"For my ally is the Force." [Yoda And The Force, 0:58, 64sec] – Ethereal, Noble, Poignant, B - Part

(This version has the great B-part of the theme and is the closest we got to a concert suite)

Approaching the Coruscant Space Battle [star Wars, The Revenge Of The Sith, 1:38, 27sec] – Militaristic, Epic, Full Orchestra, Forceful

(The greatest action variation of the theme and i remember getting goosebumps in the cinema during that moment)

"Use the Force, Luke." [The Battle Of Yavin: Use The Force, 6:49, 13sec] – Ethereal, Epic, Triumphant

(The orchestration here always gets me, i think the theme never sounded more romantic than here)

Medal Ceremony [The Throne Room, 0:17, 32sec] – Triumphant, Epic, Forceful, Militaristic, Full Orchestra

(For me this still tops the binary sunset version in epicness, i would love to hear it in cinema one time)

"Now this is pod-racing." [The Tide Turns, 0:57, 23sec] – Epic, Militaristic, Triumphant, Full Orchestra, Unique Counterline (Duel of the Fates)

(This is a standout track from TPM and also has the amazing duel of the fates counterline)

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power." [Learn About The Force, 2:11, 16sec] – Ethereal

(I love this rather low key statement and the ethereal aspect of it with the harp accompaniment)

A great listing of the appearances of the theme which is perhaps my favourite in the whole SW saga. Williams captured the intangible concept of the mystical energy field and the wisdom of Obi Wan Kenobi so perfectly with his music. Perhaps the testament to the effectiveness of this musical motif is that it alone has been featured in all six films, in the score proper, not just in the main titles like Luke's theme. As you list there are so many wonderful renditions of this theme throuhout the films and I am hard pressed to name my absolute favourite.

I think we could call the Force theme the secret main theme of the Starwars Saga ;), which for me makes it even more unfortunate that it still has no own concert suite

No matter what you think of the ROTS, you can't argue the fact the treatment of the Force theme within that score is simply spectacular. Probably the best in the saga.

Karol

I'm probably alone here, but I dig its treatment in ROTJ the most. i.e. - Death of Yoda, Faking the Code, Father and Son, "I'm a Jedi, like my father before me", Death of the Emperor, and of course - the Funeral Pyre.

While none of them are quite as bombastic or 'epic' as those in ROTS, they strike me as the most poignant. I return to them more than the others.

I'm probably alone here, but I dig its treatment in ROTJ the most. i.e. - Death of Yoda, Faking the Code, Father and Son, "I'm a Jedi, like my father before me", Death of the Emperor, and of course - the Funeral Pyre.

While none of them are quite as bombastic or 'epic' as those in ROTS, they strike me as the most poignant. I return to them more than the others.

All the above are wonderful renditions of the Force theme, amoung my favourites too. Especially the Death of the Emperor and the Funeral Pyre.

my favorite version?

Empire Strikes Back:

Rescue from Cloud City / Hyperspace

The "Hear Me Leia" segment, just the warm 80's LSO strings......oh man.....:music:

I have mentioned many times over the years the different treatment of the Force between the two trilogies.

In the original trilogy, the Force Theme was treated more as a theme of rememberance. It usually had a very solemn take, wistfully remembering the past glory of the Jedi.

In the prequel trilogy, the Force Theme is more central to the action and utilized as an action motif.

SCORE: - THEME - The Force Theme

Of all the themes and melodies John Williams composed this is one of his very best and famous ones. But what makes it truly unique is the fact that it single-handedly is the most developed Williams theme ever.

No other one has gone through so many permutations, has evoked so many different feelings and is still as listenable as at the first day. You strangely don’t get tired of this theme and this is proven by its extensive use throughout the whole Star Wars saga.

The theme appears in all six Star Wars films and pretty much all the Star Wars games. It is also known as Ben Kenobi’s theme and is generally regarded as theme for the Jedi and the Force itself.

Some interesting facts:

There is no real developed concert suite for this theme which is surprising considering its high importance in the Star Wars saga. But the theme appears (without its B parts) in some of the other suites.

The question remains… Why has John Williams not written a proper concert suite for his most developed theme ever?

In three scenes of high emotional level John Williams expanded the Force Theme with differing B-parts. ("For my ally is the Force." [Yoda And The Force, 0:58, 64sec]; "I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatooine." [The Rebel Fleet, 0:03]; Luke lights Vader's funeral pyre [Light Of The Force, 2:13])

I counted 91 appearances in all six Star Wars scores consisting of 1535sec or 25min35sec. (Of course if i may have missed an appearance or two so feel free to contact me...)

(I used a Force theme archive file from a fellow Star Wars fan as a starting point)

A New Hope (SE): 22 Appearances / 365sec / 6min5sec

Leia programs R2 [imperial Attack, 2:21, 9sec] – Mystical, Low Key

Binary Sunset [binary Sunset, 2:21, 31sec] – Epic, Poignant, Full Orchestra

"He's nowhere in sight." [binary Sunset, 3:27, 37sec] – Mystical, Poignant

"Come here my little friend." [Attack Of The Sand People, 2:47, 16sec] – Dark

"Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time." [Tales Of A Jedi Knight, 0:09, 35sec] – Ethereal, Mystical

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power." [Learn About The Force, 2:11, 16sec] – Ethereal

"Learn about the Force, Luke." [Learn About The Force, 3:53, 17sec] – Noble, Low Key

"Wait, Luke, it's too dangerous!" [burning Homestead, 0:58, 7sec] – Sad, Epic, Fast and Forceful, Dramatic

Luke finds Owen & Beru's bodies [burning Homestead, 1:30, 12sec] – Sad, Epic, Dramatic, Full Orchestra

"I want to come with you to Alderaan." [Mos Eisley Spaceport, 0:31, 12sec] – Sad, Thoughtful,

"Move along, move along." [Mos Eisley Spaceport, 1:53, 5sec] – Low Key

"Chewie, get us outta here!"[The Millennium Falcon, 1:54, 9sec] – Forceful, Fast

"Looks like an Imperial cruiser." [imperial Cruiser Pursuit, 2:16, 16sec] – Supportive, In Counterpoint to Action

"This is ridiculous." [The Death Star/The Stormtroopers, 1:46, 14sec] – Sad, Slow

Obi-Wan's death [ben Kenobi's Death, 0:00, 6sec] – Sad, Low Key

"I can't believe he's gone." [TIE Fighter Attack, 1:01, 30sec ] – Sad, Low Key

"I'm gonna cut across the axis and try and draw their fire."[The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 1:11, 7sec] – Militaristic, Epic, Short

"This is Red Five, I'm going in." [The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 1:31, 11sec] - Militaristic, Epic

"Watch your back Luke, watch your back." [The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 3:40, 15sec] – Militaristic, Epic, In Counterpoint to Action

"I can't shake him." [The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 4:01, 15sec] - Militaristic, Epic, In Counterpoint to Action

"Use the Force, Luke." [The Battle Of Yavin: Use The Force, 6:49, 13sec] – Ethereal, Epic, Triumphant

The Empire Strikes Back (SE): 14 Appearances / 315sec / 5min15sec

Luke gets his lightsaber [The Wampa's Lair, 1:07, 12sec] - Mystical, Dark

"You will go to the Dagobah system." [Vision of Obi-Wan, 4:52, 20sec] - Ethereal, Dark

"Begin retreat. Fall Back." [The Battle Of Hoth: Beneath The AT-AT, 10:21, 19sec] - Epic, Dramatic, Full Orchestra

"Much anger in him. Like his father." [Jedi Master Revealed, 0:09, 18sec] – Noble

"He is too old. Yes, too old to begin the training." [Jedi Master Revealed, 1:27, 15sec] - Noble

"I'm not afraid." [Jedi Master Revealed, 1:49, 8sec] - Low Key

*not used in film [The Training Of A Jedi Knight, 1:06, 14sec] – Mystical, Noble

"For my ally is the Force." [Yoda And The Force, 0:58, 64sec] – Ethereal, Noble, Poignant, B - Part

"Through the Force, things you will see..." [City In The Clouds, 2:23, 11sec] – Mystical

"Even Yoda cannot see their fate." [Lando's Palace, 1:42, 13sec] – Ethereal

"And I'll return. I promise." [Lando's Palace, 3:17, 31sec] – Poignant, Sad, Full Orchestra

*not used in film [Departure Of Boba Fett, 10:58, 12sec] – Dramatic, Full Orchestra, Forceful, Epic

"Leia, hear me... Leia." [Rescue From Cloud City, 3:21, 27sec] – Ethereal, Epic, Dramatic, Full Orchestra

"I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatooine." [The Rebel Fleet, 0:03, 51sec] – Playful, Poignant, Epic, Full Orchestra, B – Part

Return Of The Jedi (SE): 18 Appearances / 318sec / 5min18sec

The rancor picks up Luke [The Den Of The Rancor, 5:18, 5sec] – Dramatic, Militaristic

"Strong am I with the Force, but not that strong." [The Death Of Yoda, 2:52, 16sec] – Sad, Noble

"Your father he is." [The Death Of Yoda, 4:33, 25sec] – Sad, Dark

"Luke, the Force runs strong in your family." [The Death Of Yoda, 6:15, 15sec] - Mystical

*not used in film [Obi-Wan's Revelation, 8:57, 21sec] – Low Key

*not used in film [Obi-Wan's Revelation, 9:45, 14sec] – Low Key, Mystical

"Vader's on that ship." [shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor, 2:03, 16sec] – Dark

"I'm endagering the mission." [shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor, 2:41, 18sec] – Dark, Mystical

Luke levitates C3PO [The Levitation, 0:19, 20sec] – Mystical, Ethereal

3PO tells of Obi-Wan/Vader duel [Threepio's Bedtime Story, 1:56, 4sec] – Low Key

"Leia, do you remember your mother--your real mother?" [brother And Sister, 0:29, 17sec] – Low Key, Poignant, Sad

"You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too." [brother And Sister, 4:50, 10sec] – Low Key

"Obi-Wan has taught you well." [battle Of Endor II: The Duel Begins, 1:20, 7sec] – Noble, Low Key

"There is no conflict." [battle Of Endor II: The Duel Begins, 2:16, 7sec] – Noble, Low Key

"I am a Jedi." [battle Of Endor II: The Dark Side Beckons, 6:30, 9sec] – Noble, Dark

Vader lifts the Emperor [battle Of Endor II: The Emperor's Death, 9:09, 10sec] – Dark, Epic, Full Orchestra, Dramatic

*not used in film [Light Of The Force, 1:19, 52sec] - Sad, Poignant, Full Orchestra, Epic, Forceful

Luke lights Vader's funeral pyre [Light Of The Force, 2:13, 52sec] – Sad, Poignant, Full Orchestra, B-Part

Due to extensive editing and non complete soundtrack releases of the Prequels this is just a preliminary list which is subject to change as soon as the complete scores are released.

The Phantom Menace (UE): 9 Appearances / 125sec / 2min5sec

Qui-Gon melts the blast doors [Fighting The Destroyer Doids, 1:02, 4sec] – Dramatic, Epic, Full Orchestra

"The Force in unusually strong with him." [shmi And Qui-Gon Talk, 1:38, 27sec] – Poignant

"Feel, don't think." [Qui-Gon's Pep Talk, 0:35, 13sec] – Low Key

"Don't look back." [Anakin Is Free, 4:49, 16sec] – Dramatic, Epic, Full Orchestra, Poignant

"Fear is the path to the dark side." [Anakin's Test, 1:16, 15sec] – Low Key, Mystical

"May the Force be with you." [Qui-Gon's Mission, 1:35, 5sec] – Dark

"Now this is pod-racing." [The Tide Turns, 0:57, 23sec] – Epic, Militaristic, Triumphant, Full Orchestra, Unique Counterline (Duel of the Fates)

Obi-Wan senses Qui-Gon's lightsaber [The Death Of Darth Maul, 1:51, 14sec] - Dark

"What will happen to me now?" [Funeral Of Qui-Gon, 0:26, 8sec] – Sad

Attack Of The Clones (OST): 6 Appearances / 80sec / 1min20sec

Anakin and Padme depart for Naboo [Departing Coruscant, 0:49, 12sec] – Noble

"Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is." [Yoda And The Younglings, 3:10, 9sec] – Sad, Mystical

"Anakin." "I won't be long." [Return To Tatooine, 3:10, 21sec] - Epic, Poignant, Full Orchestra

Anakin battles Geonosians on the conveyor belt [Confrontation With Count Dooku And Finale, 0:09, 12sec] – Dramatic

Anakin Force-throws droid parts at Geonosians [unreleased, 8sec] – Dramatic, Forceful

"She would do her duty." [Love Pledge And The Arena, 7:40, 18sec] – Epic, Dramatic, Full Orchestra

Revenge Of The Sith (OST): 22 Appearances / 332sec / 5min32sec

* not used in film [Grievous and the Droids, 3:13, 6sec] – Low Key

Anakin pilots the Invisible Hand through the atmosphere [tracked from The Tide Turns, 0:57, 23sec] – Epic, Militaristic, Triumphant, Full Orchestra, Unique Counterline (Duel of the Fates)

"Mourn them, do not" [Anakin's Dream, 3:31, 24sec] – Dark, Low Key

"Good relations with the Wookiees, I have." [Palpatine's Teachings, 2:59, 14sec] - Dark

Obi-Wan leaves for Utapau [unreleased, 34sec] – Epic, Full Orchestra, Militaristic

Obi-Wan arrives at Utapau [unreleased, 9sec] – Playful, Full Orchestra

Obi-Wan riding the Boga [General Grievous, 0:38, 8sec] – Dark, Percussive

Anakin jumps in an airspeeder [unreleased, 9sec] – Dark, Dramatic

Anakin pleads with Mace to spare Palpatine [unreleased, 17sec] – Dark, Dissonant

Yoda finishes killing clone troopers [Enter Lord Vader, 3:43, 6sec] - Dramatic

Obi-Wan/Anakin force push [Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, 3:21, 13sec] – Chorus, Full Orchestra, Dramatic, Epic, Forceful

"I have failed you, Anakin." [battle Of The Heroes, 1:56, 15sec] – Chorus, Full Orchestra, Dramatic, Dark

Obi-Wan arrives at Polis Massa [unreleased, 12sec] – Uplifting, Full Orchestra, Poignant

Padmé dies [The Birth Of The Twins And Padmé's Destiny, 1:54, 5sec] - Sad

Vader's rage [The Birth Of The Twins And Padmé's Destiny, 2:53, 5sec] – Sad, Unique Counter Line (Funeral Theme)

"To Tatooine, to his family send him." [unreleased, 14sec] – Poignant

"Training I have for you." [unreleased, 15sec] – Mystical

Star Destroyer bridge [unreleased, 8sec] – Sad, Poignant

Arrival at Alderaan [unreleased, 5sec] – String Transition

Obi-Wan gives Luke to Beru [A New Hope and End Credits, 0:51, 28sec] – Poignant, Full Orchestra, Epic

* not used in film [A New Hope and End Credits, 7:04, 35sec] - Triumphant, Epic, Militaristic, Full Orchestra

Great list and great theme!

However, you're missing some statements:

ROTJ

-Death of Yoda: "I can't do it R2" (right after Yoda dies)

-Father and Son: "That's why you didn't kill me..."

-Dark Side Beckons: probably it's just me, but I hear a very brief statement of the Force theme right before the Emperor's theme (when Luke cuts Vader's hand). THe horns play the last part of the theme, rising up, as if Luke had won... only to fall down to the Emperor's theme. Anyone agree with that one?

TPM

-Anakin is free: the moment when Qui-Gonn and Anakin talk about the life of a Jedi.

AOTC

-I don't know if you should count tracked versions... in that case, ROTJ has a tracked statement of the Force theme, right before Brother and Sister. And another tracked statement in AOTC, when Anakin decides to go to Tatooine.

-Anyway... the second tracked statement of the Conveyor Belt is the same as "she would do her duty...".

-You're missing ANOTHER unreleased statement, right after Dooku escapes.

ROTS

-Obi-Wan riding the lizard has two versions of the theme in the movie (one of them is tracked, but you should count it as well).

-Palpatine vs. Mace has another statement of the theme... not used in the movie and unreleased.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for mentioning missed Force Theme statements. I will update my list soon.

Concerning AOTC and ROTS: I think we will first need the complete score releases to be completely sure what theme statements are missing.

• 2 months later...

Updated to include three missing theme statements. Thanks oierem.

Additional info in form of John Williams own description of the Force Theme / Ben's Theme anno 1977 for the LP liner notes.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Can't believe i forgot to include the "Something familiar about this place" [Arrival On Dagobah, 4:35, 10sec] from ESB. Additionally i tweaked a number of things...

• 5 years later...