What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Lol I remember when Cremers admitted on here he didn't get nor appreciate 2001: A Space Odyssey when he first saw it and didn't really see the big deal. 

As for myself, I watched it once. After purchasing the blu-ray a few years ago. 

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:22 AM, Woj said:

I can't watch Alien when the strobe light starts up on the escape pod. I literally get up and take the tape out and start watching something else. It just bothers me. It makes me very queasy. 

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:25 AM, Alexcremers said:

The strobe light part is the weakest because then I can't see how beautiful this movie is shot (by young Scott). It takes me out of my trip of aesthetic ecstasy or hypnotized state. 

I went to see Alien when it was re-released for its 20th or 25th anniversary (I can't recall which one).  I felt the strobe was extremely effective during that last stretch because it heightened the chaos in a film that was, up to that point, silently tense.  Suddenly it was all-out insanity....until it got quiet again for the finale.  Very effective as a result.

The Mummy

It's okay. Actually, it's kind of a bad movie. Cool awkward 90s CGI. Goldsmith's score sounds almost golden age.

The Mummy Returns

This one's a fucking circus of awkward CGI. It looks unfinished. It's a really bad movie, but really fun to watch. Silvestri's score is actually his best. My favorite part is the Evy/Anuck Su Whatever rivalry. They're great!

8 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I went to see Alien when it was re-released for its 20th or 25th anniversary (I can't recall which one).  I felt the strobe was extremely effective during that last stretch because it heightened the chaos in a film that was, up to that point, silently tense.  Suddenly it was all-out insanity....until it got quiet again for the finale.  Very effective as a result.

I understand but panic and chaos was the primary intention. After being well familiar with this movie, I no longer watch it for its story and to get scared. To me it's become the dark side of A Space Odyssey. It's all about the visual language for me now. And when the strobe lights come on, the film no longer works on other levels. Unlike the rest of the movie, this scene can't transcend its primary intention. 

1 hour ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

The Mummy

It's okay. Actually, it's kind of a bad movie. Cool awkward 90s CGI. Goldsmith's score sounds almost golden age.

The Mummy Returns

This one's a fucking circus of awkward CGI. It looks unfinished. It's a really bad movie, but really fun to watch. Silvestri's score is actually his best. My favorite part is the Evy/Anuck Su Whatever rivalry. They're great!

The first one actually has decent effects that hold up today. Rotted Imhotep looks amazing!

The second was too ambitious and on too tight a deadline. I actually miss his buddy Benny in this.

1 hour ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

The Mummy Returns

Great film!

As much as I love OSTs, The Mummy Returns was a copout in the tailend of its runtime. I think I read somewhere that everything recorded after "Come Back, Evy" was done after the soundtrack album was assembled. So they threw a suite together to fill in time and give it some closure, and capped it off with that hideous song.

Intrada, release this one properly!

9 hours ago, Drax said:

Replacing Rachel Weisz was a mistake. They should have just axed the character.

Of course they axed her to come back, but she said no. 

MOS

Seeing it on my Plasma screen made for a slightly better experience. We've all talked about the bad and that doesn't really change, but there's is some good in it too. Russell Crowe as 'consciousness' was surprisingly effective (more effective than when he was the action soldier on Krypton). Also, I really like that Supes, even though he is super strong, doesn't really know how to fight. You can clearly see that he is still green behind the ears during the segment when Supes is sorta being ass-kicked by that vicious woman and that tall ... thingy.

Now .. more 'subtle' humor bits! 

1) Perry White is black?!

2) When Clark Kent/Kal-El is learning about the story and fate of Krypton (through some very nice stylized graphics that Crowe shows him) and how he was send to Earth, the little spaceship that he was in was the one from Superman The Movie

3) When Supes is in the beam of the world machine, his face transforms into that of Christopher Reeve. 

qEbNZ55.jpg

Alex

Judge Dredd

It's colorful, it's campy, and Stallone hams it up to a new level. But dammit, all these elements just make the whole thing more fun. Also, it has a killer Silvestri score. A breezy and fun 90 minutes to spend watching a silly movie. I enjoyed it.

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I so prefer Garland's Dredd.

Me too ... far truer to the spirit of the 2000AD strip. Ultra-violent with occasional flashes of bone-dry dark humour.

When you hire an actor whose ego can cope with the fact that Dredd is NEVER seen with his helmet off, you're doing it right.

Judge-Dredd-Still-Image-012.jpg

Yesterday evening, to celebrate this year's 35th anniversary of Raiders of the Lost Ark, there were nation-wide cinema screenings of the first three Indiana Jones films back to back. So naturally, I had to be there...

Raiders of the Lost Ark

One of the greatest adventure films of all time. It’s exciting, helmed by a director thirsty to prove himself and features one of the great reluctant heroes in Harrison Ford’s Indiana Jones. It moves like a freight train, thanks to Michael Kahn’s skillful editing and John Williams’ rousing score. I feel like everything that can be said about this film has been said already and seeing it with an audience on the big screen was a great thrill. It’s quite a ride and by the end of it, you feel like you got everything you wanted out of your cinema ticket. Of course, we then continued with…

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

I fucking love Temple of Doom. It’s big, it’s bold and anything goes. You've got to admire the balls on Spielberg and Lucas for going this far out with their first sequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark. This movie is a sight to behold on the big screen. The mine car chase, at 32 years old, is as riveting and convincing as ever. The entire film's roller coaster pace and energy might leave some exhausted, but I just get pumped by the energy bursting from the screen in every scene. It has one great action scene after another, another fantastic score and it features my favorite photography from the Indy series. Probably my favorite film from the entire series.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

After the wild and over-the-top shenanigans of Temple of Doom, the third installment is a relatively laid-back feature. It’s an action comedy, really, and Sean Connery makes the film. He’s fantastic on his own and has great chemistry with Ford. There’s also something delightfully cheeky about casting the original James Bond as a grown up nerd. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade isn’t as eager or even as energetic as its two predecessors, but it still moves at a fast pace and features some great action set pieces, all expertly staged, shot, edited and scored by all the returning principals. A fitting end to a stirring evening at the cinema.

The only thing that bugs me about Last Crusade is that the special effects aren't as good as the first two films!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Yeah. Was that cost cutting?

I once read that ILM was overbooking itself at the time to the point that they had to bow out of i. e. Star Trek V. The plane crash in Indy III looks seriously dodgy indeed.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Yeah. Was that cost cutting?

I think it was a case of ILM stretching themselves too thin in 1989 - they did The Burbs, Skin Deep, Field of Dreams, Indiana Jones 3, Ghostbusters II, The Abyss, and Back To The Future II that year.

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The shark in Jaws looks dodgy. 

ILM was not involved. Trivia bit: when Tom Mankiewicz shot 'Dragnet' in 1986 he fired an incompetent fx man. He was promptly relocated to 'Jaws 4'...with the expected craptacular results.

vlcsnap-2011-06-06-07h40m52s62.png

Watched The Curse of the Cat People. Billed as a horror film it's actually a fantasy about a child and her imaginary friend. It has elements of many types of films. It's a comedy, a family film, a thriller, and a Christmas movie. I will add it to my B&W film collection. You know movies that few here watch.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

love to prove that don't you? Get your name into the National Geographic.

Hhhhhhnnnananananaaaaa you're all gonna die.

47 minutes ago, publicist said:

ILM was not involved.

Wasn't my point. 

38 minutes ago, Joey said:

Watched The Curse of the Cat People. Billed as a horror film it's actually a fantasy about a child and her imaginary friend. It has elements of many types of films. It's a comedy, a family film, a thriller, and a Christmas movie. I will add it to my B&W film collection. You know movies that few here watch.

Does it have anything to do with the first one or is it more of a quasi sequel?

It features several of the same cast but with an entirely different path.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I hate to admit it, but despite my love and preference for the original in every way, Burton's version is insanely watchable. However, it's obvious that something is off here. Like most of Burton's post-1994 films, there doesn't seem to be any reason for it to have been made. I mean, it's obvious his heart was in Pee-Wee, Beetlejuice, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood. Those films are fucking amazing. This? Well, I mean, I guess he has some fun with it, mostly thanks to Johnny Depp. Whereas Gene Wilder was like the Walt Disney of candymaking, Depp's Wonka is an awkward weirdo. Perfectly valid interpretation. Charlie himself is a massive disappointment here. I forgot he was even there at many points. The supporting cast are mostly very good, especially the kids. Elfman's score is just shit. This could have been a return to form for him. I remember pirating the OST in 2005 and skipping through listening for any sign of goodness before clicking delete. It's a bad egg.