Yub Nub or Victory Celebration?

Quintus

Yub Nub or Victory Celebration  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Yub Nub
    • Victory Celebration

Yub Nub all the way, it's just so much more fun and gleeful. Not only does the shot of the Ewok playing drums with the helmets make a lot more sense, the segue into the end credits feels far more natural and uplifting. The transition sounds terribly awkward in the SE, similar to the ending of RotS and I don't like it. Basically, Victory Celebration is a tacky cheesefest.

I prefer Victory Celebration as a listening experience. Each one is more appropriate, IMO, for their respective movies, though. With the added scenes of the special edition Victory Celebration has more of a feeling of a galactic Kumbaya.

Basically, Victory Celebration is a tacky cheesefest.

And Yub Nub isn't? :P

While I like Yub Nub and don't disagree that it fits better, I really like Victory Celebration. Unfortunately both are quite weak considering the first two films' finales.

For direct comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XG1nSlxuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHX3mAbyrs

Wow. I'm reminded what a great shot the Funeral Pyre scene is. And how badly out of place Hayden Christensen is.

yub nub fits the film better, victory celebration works wonderfully as a stand alone listen with no connection to the films, really it has none anyways.

Victory Celebration, barely. I'm not crazy about either one. I do love the Gerhardt recording of Ewok Celebration, that would probably work best in the film.

Victory Celebration, even though it's still kind of disappointing for the grand finale of the saga. The Yub Nub was terrible IMO and I am happy it was dropped in the SE.

I voted for "Yub Nub," God help me. Some sorta of nostalgia must have kicked in.

Honestly, though, neither of them works terribly well. For the end of a saga that grand, it seems as if the music ought to be a little more thematically connected to what's come before it. The prequels would have been a good opportunity to do that in reverse; work the "Victory Celebration" theme (since that's apparently the "real" music for Jedi now) in somewhere so that it felt like the celebration music actually stood for something specific in the Star Wars universe. But it's not bad; it is pretty good on its own, which is more than I can say for "Yub Nub."

Why did I vote for "Yub Nub" again? I'm sure I must have had a reason...

For the end of a saga that grand, it seems as if the music ought to be a little more thematically connected to what's come before it.

Well it seems that JW had no choice but to add his thematic nod to the previous movies via his big end credits send off. Those final seconds are probably his most famous of closing statements actually.

And the reason you voted Yub Nub is because you know it rocks. Hard.

I agree with Chris and Bryant, I don't care for either very much. But forced to make the choice I'll go with Victory Celebration.

I would have preferred some grand orchestral piece when the end of Jedi was rescored for the SEs, but I guess Williams felt compelled (or was compelled) to write another source-ish piece like Yub Nub.

One thing's certain: Victory Celebration is safe, cosy, yet ultimately bland. Yub Nub on the other hand is bursting with personality.

As daft as it obviously is, Yub Nub is anything but bland.

Lol, reading this back I can't actually believe I'm having this conversation. :P

"Victory Celebration" as music is better than "Yub Nub", and I think it fits in well with it's respective version. I'd even say that the SE scene is better, or should I say, less disappointing.

I was never disappointed with RotJ. There are things I don't like about it, but it's still a great close to a great trilogy. The movie is still head and shoulders above it's nearest rival in RotS, which I liked.

Guest macrea

I don't care for either one because ending this story at the Country Bear Jamboree was incredibly stupid and a clear indicator of where things would go from there. When I listen to Return of the Jedi I just cut it off before the finale because the end credits are just segments of concert suites arranged together. As a piece of music on its own, Victory Celebration is a harmless piece of world music, but there's no getting around that "Yub Nub" is ****ing Ewoks.

"Yub Nub." Actually "Ewok Celebration." It's a surreal piece compared to all the orchestral bombast that comes before it. It sort of says that it isn't grand space armadas and mechanical armies that are important, but simple, down-to-Earth love. ("Celebrate the love.") And it didn't need to be thematic - all the themes got their send-offs in the previous scenes. As far as recordings go, the version on disc 4 of the Anthology is best (the "alternative" one). The version on disc 3, which I believe was on the original album, has a lot of added sound effects. Gerhardt's orchestral version is kind of awkward.

"Victory Celebration" is pretty good too, but not quite as fitting to the film.

Victory Celebration is more appropriate. The only reason people vote against it is because its a Lucas revision.

That just ain't true.

The reason I'm not too keen on VC is because it could just as easily be music for a British Airways ad as it could be score to the final moments of a much loved trilogy of movies.

Victory Celebration is more appropriate. The only reason people vote against it is because its a Lucas revision.

That just ain't true.

The reason I'm not too keen on VC is because it could just as easily be music for a British Airways ad as it could be score to the final moments of a much loved trilogy of movies.

And Ewok celebration is...?

I prefer Victory Celebration on the whole, right up until the moment where it morphs into the closing title theme. At that point there is a horrible, jarring edit. Yub Nub had a beautiful segue into the closing title theme, with the choir entering on "celebrate the love". If Victory Celebration had had as lovely a link to the closing theme I would absolutely give it my vote, but the jarring edit is so annoying that I'm torn between the two. Therefore I cannot vote.

but Ewok celebration is the only SW finale cue that 'intromits' into the finale fanfare. Its strange on its own, somehow. I dont dislike it though.

Maybe the film version of Vicory celebration has a jarring edit, but i think one good edit can be made.

I like Victory Celebration, but nothing about it is in any way similar to the rest of the music in ROTJ, or Star Wars music in any way, shape or form.

Well, neither Ewok celebration or Augies Great Municipal Band...

Yub Nub.

I don't like any of the changes to the original trilogies. Although I agree with Joe, Victory Celebration is a nice piece.

I prefer Victory Celebration on the whole, right up until the moment where it morphs into the closing title theme. At that point there is a horrible, jarring edit. Yub Nub had a beautiful segue into the closing title theme, with the choir entering on "celebrate the love". If Victory Celebration had had as lovely a link to the closing theme I would absolutely give it my vote, but the jarring edit is so annoying that I'm torn between the two. Therefore I cannot vote.

The film version or the album version? The album messes it up a little by pausing between the end of "Victory Celebration" and "End Title." And it doesn't help that the beginning of "End Title" is from Empire, for some reason.

The film version or the album version? The album messes it up a little by pausing between the end of "Victory Celebration" and "End Title." And it doesn't help that the beginning of "End Title" is from Empire, for some reason.

Are you talking about Victory celebration or Ewok celebration?

The film vesrion of Yub Nub (you know with the human choir instead of the ewok choir...)

There's another thing ,near the end the strings kick in and improve things a lot.

I was referring to both. The movie version where the two are linked still feels a bit messy to me. The end of Yub Nub though is absolutely gorgeous as the choir sings that final chord which then rises a third right before the fanfare enters. It's simple, but very effective. It gives me goosebumps!

Nonsense. Augie's Municipal Band is clearly a variation of The Emperor's Theme. :)

I hate "Augie's Municipal Band," but I do appreciate how it twists the Emperor's Theme. I'm not sharp enough on my feet to have noticed that on my own; it had to be pointed out to me, and when I went back to listen to it, my first reaction was to get a few chills at the genius that is John Williams. My second reaction was to cringe at the potential bad taste that is John Williams. A seldom realized potential, thankfully.

Nonsense. Augie's Municipal Band is clearly a variation of The Emperor's Theme. :)

I hate "Augie's Municipal Band," but I do appreciate how it twists the Emperor's Theme. I'm not sharp enough on my feet to have noticed that on my own; it had to be pointed out to me, and when I went back to listen to it, my first reaction was to get a few chills at the genius that is John Williams. My second reaction was to cringe at the potential bad taste that is John Williams. A seldom realized potential, thankfully.

I'd thought the trumpets were synth in that until I learned they were 2x speed trumpets. I guess it was an experiment gone tacky.

Victory Celebration. I do enjoy Yub Nub, especially Gerhardt's version (which reminds me of Thunderbirds for some reason), but it's never carried much weight for me.

Great karaoke track, tho.

In film: Yub Nub

On album: Victory Celebration

I'd thought the trumpets were synth in that until I learned they were 2x speed trumpets. I guess it was an experiment gone tacky.

Whoa. I thought the trumpets were synth until I read your post. Crazy.

Overall, I would say the Victory Celebration.

Yub Nub works more for the first edition than the Victory Celebration works for the SE. In the SE, it's funny to see the ewoks banging on the drums when the drums can barely be heard in the music (if at all). Yub nub is a really crappy piece of music, though.

Both pieces do not quite match the final sequence, yet the Victory Celebration is a whole lot better to listen to. I like how JW adds some thematic material to the ending, but I don't like how it doesn't sound like any of the other Star Wars music. It seems like that piece could be totally separated from the film because it doesn't really feel like there's a connection to the film. And I do agree that the ending of the Victory Celebration has a terrible edit. :)

The more I listen to Victory Celebration, the more it sounds like it tries to sound vaguely similar to either the Rebel Fanfare or the Main Theme without really sounding like either. I think it's because of the rising thirds that the melody takes and the way it gently comes back down; then when the chorus of yah-yah-yah's cuts in, it could be the bridge portion of the Main Theme. Maybe it's just me.

The Ewok Celebration fit in better with the all-around childish nature of Return of the Jedi, due to the large number of Muppets and Ewoks. They removed the childish sounding Ewok Celebration, but added in the embarrassingly ridiculous "Jedi Rocks" sequence. That was far worse than Lapti Nek, but Lucas just wanted an excuse to show how well they could make Sy Snootles sing as a forerunner to all the CGI talking characters that the prequels would have.

Neither Ewok nor Victory Celebration was really a good way to end the six-piece saga musically. The best way was with the soaring Force Theme heard in the alternate version of the music for Vader's funeral pyre, which was better than the more subdued version heard on film. Everything after that was an afterthought until the paint by numbers end credits rolled around.

Wanna hear a really unique version of the Yub Nub song? Click here for a cover by the band The Solids, available from their website. It's bizarre to say the least.

I do as well. It's nice to have the alternate one, but it doesn't have the emotion of the film version, and as the liner notes say (Matisseno?) it has a purging effect, a cathartic effect.

Maybe for the Blu Ray edition, Williams can rerecord yet another version of the Celebration...

I much prefer the film version of "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi."

I don't. It's lovely, but the big moment is basically the same as somewhere in the concert suite. The "magic fire music" in the other version is brilliant.