John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon 2

Jay

Who else is excited for this score?

Here's a clip of the movie with Powell's new score in it

https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/how-to-train-your-dragon-2-exclusive-clip-161523920.html?vp=1

EDIT: The music is not from the new score, it's tracked in from the first.

Hmm, the music is pretty much note for note from the first film, hope its a temptrack and not indicative of the final score...

The first score is fun through the first couple of spins. Outside of a few highlights (e.g., "Forbidden Friendship"), though, I don't think it wears very well. Kind of how I feel about most Powell besides The Bourne Supremacy.

Perhaps we should listen to the score before jumping to conclusions based on just one scene.

Perhaps we should listen to the score before jumping to conclusions based on just one scene.

:huh:

I know I know it is not the time honored JWFan way but we could take a listen to the whole soundtrack after it comes out and make more accurate appraisal of the music then. Or perhaps I misinterpreted some of the above posts as unduly negative when they concerned only the single clip. :P

Btw for some reason they inform me that they can't show the clip anymore in your above link Jason. Another clip on the same sime works though and indeed the music seems to be using the old themes in a very familiar way.

The first score was enjoyable (the above mentioned Forbidden Frienship among the highlights). Sounded like Ralph Vaughan Williams on steroids.

I know I know it is not the time honored JWFan way but we could take a listen to the whole soundtrack after it comes out and make more accurate appraisal of the music then.

I've always gone by the 30 second sound clips myself, but, hey, different strokes for different folks, right?

I prefer to criticise things from rhe position of complete ignorance.

(Thanks for the tip, Alan Moore!)

Karol

I usually listen to only the negative opinions on the subject I am ignorant of and use them as justification for my entirely initial feeling based split second opinion forming.

Yeah it's obviously tracked. Wheter it'll end up like that on the film is another matter, but it's tracked no doubt.

I kinda hate it when they track a sequel with the previous score. I feel like it narrows the composer's creativity down.

Sometimes the music is not final in those early clips. It's probably the case here as well.

Karol

True. I remember seeing e.g. HP3 Aunt Marge's waltz sequence still scored with temp track Rossini in one documentary.

The fight on a train clip from The Wolverine had Marco Beltrami's music from the scene directly leading into it, for some reason. In the actual film there's no music in there.

I also remember some Lost clips from season 3 with some other, very different music. Not Giacchino.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the film's release.

Gonna wait to hear the full score first before jumping to any conclusions.

The music is too much to the background of the action, sound, and dialogue to fully appreciate it.

And yes, I too hope that it isn't a retread of the score from the first film.

And...

Pre-ordered! Can't wait for it! :mrgreen:

Well if it's the first five minutes of the film it makes sense to throw all the old themes together. Already from the clip of Hiccup and Toothless with the map the new material sounds delicious.

Some info regarding the upcoming score. Contains mild-spoilers, so be warned...

Good read. Thanks for the share. They sure like to talk like they are working on some LOTR film. Just how serious and matured can some animated movie or its music become?

Got to admit though, I am trying very hard to keep my expectation of this one under control so pardon my futile attempt at appearing indifferent.

That choral theme sorta reminds me of Horton.

And here is a behind the scenes video of the sessions, no sound though ;(

What a cocktease!!

2 pen-ultimate tracks at Relativity Music's soundcloud channel

PS: sounds cool! Nice to see that Powell builds on the Vaughan-Williams english pastoral stylings of part one and even expands them (listen to Two New Alphas at 02:55). It most definitely is no rehash.

Toothless Found
https://soundcloud.com/relativitymusicgroup/17-toothless-found

Two New Alphas
https://soundcloud.com/relativitymusicgroup/18-two-new-alphas

Tracklist:

1. Dragon Racing (4:34)
  2. Together We Map The World (2:19)
  3. Hiccup The Chief - Drago's Coming (4:44)
  4. Toothless Lost (3:28)
  5. Should I Know You (1:56)
  6. Valka's Dragon Sanctuary (3:19)
  7. Losing Mom - Meet The Good Alpha (3:24)
  8. Meet Drago (4:26)
  9. Stoick Finds Beauty (2:33)
  10. Flying With Mother (2:49)
  11. For The Dancing And The Dreaming - Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson & Mary Jane Wells (3:06)
  12. Battle Of The Bewilderbeast (6:26)
  13. Hiccup Confronts Drago (4:06)
  14. Stoick Saves Hiccup (2:23)
  15. Stoick's Ship (3:48)
  16. Alpha Comes To Berk (2:20)
  17. Toothless Found (3:46)
  18. Two New Alphas (6:06)
  19. Where No One Goes - Jónsi (2:44)

I've just listened to the two new tracks. This is sounding much better than the rehash fest I was expecting, at least so far. It sounds like Powell is taking the themes to different places. The sound quality is pretty bad though. Hopefully it's not too representative of the lossless version's sound quality.

There's a really cool interview with Powell in the latest issue of FSM (conducted by ever-reliable Tim Burden). Numerous tracks are being sampled. Sounds good, actually. In some ways better than the previous one, it feels more more... symphonic.

They want to record his oratorio by the end of this year. Before the world premiere next year. Here's hoping for an album release.

Karol

There's a really cool interview with Powell in the latest issue of FSM (conducted by ever-reliable Tim Burden). Numerous tracks are being sampled. Sounds good, actually. In some ways better than the previous one, it feels more more... symphonic.

They want to record his oratorio by the end of this year. Before the world premiere next year. Here's hoping for an album release.

Karol

An oratorio you say. Sounds good to me! :)

The preview tracks sound very good indeed. Welcome back Mr. Powell. :)