2012 Oscar Discussion Thread (Tintin and War Horse nominated for Best Original Score!)

Romão

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad

no biggie,

just think Next Year's awards John won't be competing against himself.

He will be competing against himself in one respect, as it's his third Presidential score, no doubt people will compare JFK, Nixon, and Lincoln.

i think the artist got all this attention because it just revived a genre from decades ago and it was original only in that way.

otherwise i consider it a very mediocre film..

I suppose I just see it differently. The Artist was simply using the techniques of the time to tell a story of the time. Looking over the director's career, it's clearly his shtick, but he does it well. The premise isn't original, nor is the style, but all the details and the tongue-in-cheek sense of creating a silent movie for a 21st century audience were unique to this film, mixed in with a properly weighted sense of drama, and added up to make for an incredibly enjoyable, heartfelt movie. It was the best time I had at the movies all year.

I don't think a movie's goal should ever be to be as original or groundbreaking as possible. If that stuff comes at all, it will come out of simply trying to tell a good story and tell it well.

The Artist was the most moving film I've seen in theaters since...Return of the King? Maybe it had to do with my life at the moment I saw the film, but for some reason I was able to empathize with the main character more than I am able to in almost any other film.

Either way, it is much more than an homage to the silent era.

As lovely and charming as it is, I think The Artist is no more than a celebration of Hollywood heydays. That's why industry people (esp. actors I guess) loved it to the point of giving it their most prestigious honour. It speaks more to the people working within the movie business than anyone else. Of course the arc of the main character is such a classic paradigm of these kind of stories that anyone can relate to it, but I think it speaks more cleary to a Hollywood actor than to the average moviegoer. One can appreciate the very conscious and meta-textual approach of the script, but honestly it's not an earth-shattering, rule-changing movie. It's a nostalgia trip to Hollywood's glory days, the perfect fodder for today's industry so full of itself and more and more detached from the rest of the world.

One last thing: other than Billy Wilder, the director should have thanked Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly as well, since the movie's script is almost a rip-off of Singin' in the Rain.

I disagree with the idea that it's more relatable to a famous actor than a regular person. To me it was about anybody who feels their best days are behind them, whether that's because they're growing older, that they aren't valued by society anymore, etc.

It's not the most original thing in the world, but it's still original enough to be considered a great film, and the execution is top notch. For instance, the use of sound was really cleverly done, IMO. And I wouldn't write off the script as being ripped from Singin' in the Rain--the premise is similar but the rest is very different.

Also: who is that lady sitting next to JW in the photo on the main page?

Great, thanks!

I am wondering... the written music they show briefly when they present the 5 nominated scores... are they the real deal?

Hey, wait a minute! This is not the original broadcast, is it? Didn't they show very brief clips of each movie when they presented the nominated scores....?

Yes but they have to edit it out so as not to pay royalties or something.

And here's for the Best Original Song:

I didn't realize Bret was in LOTR.

Williams seemed to have something on his knees, some kind of paper. I wonder what was it...

Some Oscar poems probably...

Billy cledyf yn aghat

Billy yscwyt yg kat

Billy tant yn telyn.

Oscar blaen llin,

A-ward gysseuin

Helyc a cherdin

Buant hwyr yr vydin.

:P

who are those poeple, other than John?

Those pictures belong to a SoundtrackNet article, where you can find all the names.

thanks

I ultimately recognized Whoopi ;) and Charles Bernstein.

the sheet music that's shown in the big music book thing for War Horse looks like the Naracotts theme from Dartmoor, 1912. Just sayin'. Not really sure what the Tintin one is.

the sheet music that's shown in the big music book thing for War Horse looks like the Naracotts theme from Dartmoor, 1912. Just sayin'. Not really sure what the Tintin one is.

Ah that's great! So they actually made the effort to show us the real thing, as opposed to just anything with musical notes on it! :)

Also, what is this then? At 0:37? (I do read music, but I can't place it...)

my god carlihos brown looks like some kind of whoopy goldberg...

BTW, its just me or howard shore has aged alot since the LOTR days? he seems much more older than he should...

He's 61-62 now I think...

Omg! He's 65!!! And here I was thinking he was in his late 40s...had no idea Shore was that old :P He always seemed like one of those younger composers to me.

Ah that's great! So they actually made the effort to show us the real thing, as opposed to just anything with musical notes on it! :)

The fourth line looks like the violin solo from "Remembrances".

He's 61-62 now I think...

Omg! He's 65!!! And here I was thinking he was in his late 40s...had no idea Shore was that old :P He always seemed like one of those younger composers to me.

I thought he was 50-something.

Karol

mrbellamy pointed out, thats the sheet music for the violon solo for the Remembrance theme.

Ah yes. Thanks!

By the way, what's that piece playing when Bource gets up and starts shaking hands with the other nominees? Is that a piece from his own score "The Artist"? Or something from Hans Zimmer?

Some random thoughts:

1. The soft string music is at its most moving when Bource approaches Williams and shakes hands with him, I thought!

2. I love how he briefly touches his heart, as if to say, "I admire you with all my heart" and the way JW briefly nods his head as if to say, "Why, thank you very much!"

3. When Bource is up on the podium, it's a good thing he mentioned William's name first! It probably wasn't a conscious decision, but it's revealing nonetheless! Bource knows the ranking:: Williams, Shore, and (followed by a brief hesitation) Iglesias! :lol:

4. Bource seems such a nice and sympathetic guy, you can't even be mad at him for winning!

5. Damn, Penélope Cruz is hot!

Ah yes. Thanks!

By the way, what's that piece playing when Bource gets up and starts shaking hands with the other nominees? Is that a piece from his own score "The Artist"? Or something from Hans Zimmer?

Tell me Josh, does that sound like Zimmer? :P

To answer your question, the music is from the score for The Artist.

Some random thoughts:

1. The soft string music is at its most moving when Bource approaches Williams and shakes hands with him, I thought!

2. I love how he briefly touches his heart, as if to say, "I admire you with all my heart" and the way JW briefly nods his head as if to say, "Why, thank you very much!"

3. When Bource is up on the podium, it's a good thing he mentioned William's name first! It probably wasn't a conscious decision, but it's revealing nonetheless! Bource knows the ranking:: Williams, Shore, and (followed by a brief hesitation) Iglesias! :lol:

4. Bource seems such a nice and sympathetic guy, you can't even be mad at him for winning!

5. Damn, Penélope Cruz is hot!

Those are some great observations (especially number 5, followed by number 3 ;)).

- KK

probably not... but this is the first time i noticed this.

When Penelope cruz appeared on stage to present the award, if i had seen it live, i would have thought: this screams Iglesias is going to win.!

Just like Cruz and Banderas presented Almodovar's oscar, or Spielberg, lucas and coppola presented Scorsesse's....

Or salma hayek announcing the infamous santaolalla (they knew she was the only one who has going to say the name correctly :P)

So if next time Spielberg presents the award..it wont mean Williams will get it...

Now that i think of this... there would be never anyone on earth more suited to give williams his next (and last...) oscar..

Those are some great observations (especially number 5, followed by number 3 ;)).

?

I am not quite sure what you mean... These are just random thoughts that came to me while watching this, the 2 points are not connected.

Unless you mean... I don't think you can tell who is the winner by who presents the Oscar! Or can you? :blink:

Come to think of it.

Goldie Hawn presented JW with the Oscar twice (for Jaws and Schindler's List)!!! Now is this a coincidence? Goldie Hawn was the star of the first Spielberg/Williams collaboration, after all...! :blink:

:lol:

You know, I have neither seen the movie "The Artist" nor heard the entire score, so I had no idea...

Can anyone tell me, which track is this on the OS album of "The Artist"?

[/quote

?

I am not quite sure what you mean... These are just random thoughts that came to me while watching this, the 2 points are not connected.

Unless you mean... I don't think you can tell who is the winner by who presents the Oscar! Or can you? :blink:

The points aren't related, I just ranked your fifth observation as the best of them all (because Penelope Cruz is pretty hot) and then your 3rd point was I found 2nd most interesting to me. That's all.

Unfortunately, I'm in the process of acquiring my psychic abilities, they aren't fully developed yet...but once they are, I'll make sure to spoil your fun ;)

Come to think of it.

Goldie Hawn presented JW with the Oscar twice (for Jaws and Schindler's List)!!! Now is this a coincidence? Goldie Hawn was the star of the first Spielberg/Williams collaboration, after all...! :blink:

:lol:

You know, I have neither seen the movie "The Artist" nor heard the entire score, so I had no idea...

Can anyone tell me, which track is this on the OS album of "The Artist"?

Still, you should be able to tell from common sense and any Zimmer exposure that that doesn't sound like Zimmer material :P

I believe the specified music came from the track "Happy Ending" on the album.

Hear it for yourself (2:53 - 3:24):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2IM3-i2OE

Its understandably taken at a faster tempo at the ceremony.

- KK

Still, you should be able to tell from common sense and any Zimmer exposure that that doesn't sound like Zimmer material :P

You know, I couldn't help grinning even while I was typing that! :lol:

Hear it for yourself (2:53 - 3:24):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2IM3-i2OE

Its understandably taken at a faster tempo at the ceremony.

- KK

Ah yes. I don't have a chance to listen to it now, but later.... thanks! But what I heard at the Oscars wasn't too shabby... maybe Bource DID deserve an Oscar after all! :P

And one other thing: since I haven't seen "The Artist" yet, whenever I hear this piece, I will forever associate it with Bource shaking hands with Williams, I think... but that piece was very fitting, almost as if the scene had been scored afterwards...

Another observation that rather puzzles me:

The order in which the nominated scores are presented:

WAR HORSE John Williams

THE ARTIST Ludovic Bource

HUGO Howard Shore

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY Alberto Iglesias

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN John Williams

It's not alphabetically by movie title (as usual) nor alphabetically by composer. Why in this order???

Another observation that rather puzzles me:

The order in which the nominated scores are presented:

WAR HORSE John Williams

THE ARTIST Ludovic Bource

HUGO Howard Shore

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY Alberto Iglesias

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN John Williams

It's not alphabetically by movie title (as usual) nor alphabetically by composer. Why in this order???

I noticed this too. It just seemed utterly random to me. I guess they pulled out chits from a hat.

• 4 weeks later...